Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Considering other comics of the era, it would've been very difficult to identify it as tongue-in-cheek.

This is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Dear Marvel Handbook Thread:

8-Ball is in the new issue of Star-Lord that just came out today. And he is surprisingly awesome.

I just thought you should know.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Dear Marvel Handbook Thread:

8-Ball is in the new issue of Star-Lord that just came out today. And he is surprisingly awesome.

I just thought you should know.

I haven't read today's yet, but he was in the issue a couple weeks ago too. Just barely though. Of course it's someone like Zdarsky that not only knows about him but brings him back.

8-Ball has pretty much turned into the find of the thread. And the fact that he's back like a week or two after being posted is a weird cosmic coincidence. Obviously some kind of divine intervention.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

X-O posted:

I haven't read today's yet, but he was in the issue a couple weeks ago too. Just barely though. Of course it's someone like Zdarsky that not only knows about him but brings him back.

8-Ball has pretty much turned into the find of the thread. And the fact that he's back like a week or two after being posted is a weird cosmic coincidence. Obviously some kind of divine intervention.

Whatever you say, Chip.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

redbackground posted:

Correct. I forget the details but he has a device that pops up a giant pixel skull scrambler over his face so the FutureCops don't know who he is.

This is the only thing I remember of the character.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna be that guy and say, wait, isn't the Wrecker's crowbar a powerful magic artifact? Shouldn't it be a bit harder for the Melter to make it go poof?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Selachian posted:

I'm gonna be that guy and say, wait, isn't the Wrecker's crowbar a powerful magic artifact? Shouldn't it be a bit harder for the Melter to make it go poof?

If you want the in-continuity answer say it was his spare or some poo poo.

If you want the real answer, it's a book written by Chip Zdarsky, don't think about it so hard man.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 41: Ravage 2099

Ravage was one of the 2099 books I never read. I really only know of him from seeing him elsewhere. I don't know if there's any appeal to the character at all like Doom, Punisher, or Spider-Man. Anyone ever read his stuff?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
He's terrible. I've mentioned this before, but the only good issue of Ravage 2099 is the last one where Doom 2099 swoops in, kills Ravage's archnemesis with no effort, coats Ravage's island home, along with Ravage, in liquid adamantium, and throws it into space, the end. It is fantastic.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 31, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's such a clusterfuck. The whole comic starts as a dystopian world ruled by the Planeteers in which Looten Plunder is a good guy who swiftly progresses from concerned citizen to garbage avenger to garbage wolverine before being, as mentioned, put on the adamantium space bus.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghostlight posted:

It's such a clusterfuck. The whole comic starts as a dystopian world ruled by the Planeteers in which Looten Plunder is a good guy who swiftly progresses from concerned citizen to garbage avenger to garbage wolverine before being, as mentioned, put on the adamantium space bus.

I briefly forgot what thread this was and thought you were describing an actual Captain Planet comic being written by the Flintstones guy.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

X-O posted:

Ravage was one of the 2099 books I never read. I really only know of him from seeing him elsewhere. I don't know if there's any appeal to the character at all like Doom, Punisher, or Spider-Man. Anyone ever read his stuff?

It's a comic written by Stan Lee and neither Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko were involved. Of course it's awful.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Please tell me there's a scene where that guy uses his head claws to hold a telephone against his ear.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Ravage 2099 is indeed terrible. He's also the reason I first started reading and continue to read comic books. Where I grew up as a kid we didn't have any comic stores handy, I just got comics from the grocery store and gas station. I first started reading around the time the X-Men animated series started on FOX and Ravage was the first title I was able to reliably find copies of (since no one else was buying it) and able to keep finding copies of up until issue 20 or so. I know it's a terrible comic now, but at the time I was just excited to be able to start a series at #1 and get in on the ground floor of something and keep following it. The concept of Ravage literally changed every 7 issues are they desperately tried to turn him into something people would care about. He starts as a rich dude industrialist, becomes a junkyard trash talkin' vigilante, gets laser shooting hands a few issues later, then mutates further into future Wolverine who can change back and forth between rich dude and beast man at will, then further mutates into a gigantic hulk like beast even more grotesquely proportioned than Strong Guy.

Years later once comic stores were in greater supply around me, I caught up and bought the back end of Ravage that I had missed out on. The last issue is, as stated, somewhat hilarious in how swiftly and easily Doom 2099 just straight up punks Ravage and all his allies, freezes Hellrock in liquid adamantium (because it's a health hazard), and takes off again. According to that World of Doom special, the original ending they had in mind was for Doom 2099 to open a portal to the mythical "land of the beasts" Ravage had been searching for and allow all his Hellrock mutants to go live in peace there and give the book a happy ending. Apparently at some point in the process they decided "gently caress that" and changed the ending to let Doom 2099 just straight up kill the guy who had previously helped him and lasted 33 issues. The 2099 books didn't have a lot of sympathy for their characters towards the end and Punisher 2099 got a similarly quick and brutal death shortly thereafter.

Peter David has resurrected all these guys for the recent Spidey 2099 run though, so if you are one of the only 5 people on the planet like me with nostalgia for Ravage 2099 and Ghost Rider 2099, they've shown up in that book.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The weird aspects of Ravage 2099 seem to have been done by 2000AD writers who got lost, like it goes down in history as the only comic that Pat Mills and Stan Lee share a writing credit on and Ian Edginton is the guy who got to strike the killing blow

Throwing some 2000AD guys on a D-tier book and watching what happens was like Marvel's 90s power move.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

It's a comic written by Stan Lee and neither Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko were involved. Of course it's awful.

Somewhere Don Heck is going "Wow, rude"

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Somewhere Don Heck is going "Wow, rude"

I also left out from the top of my head John Buscema, Gene Colan, Moebius, Gil Kane, Wally Wood and Herb Trimpe too. Guy's worked with a lot of GOAT artists. Hell, Paul Ryan deserved better than that too, and to not be saddled with the name of a space parasite. :rip:

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 1, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think we need some more orb-headed characters in this thread.

Day 42: Occult

I have no clue who this is. And yes, there is a reason for the "R" on the costume. But it's not a good one.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

"Where I come from, it means 'Occult'"

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Peter Quinn, cousin twice-removed of Peter Quill

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mover posted:

Peter Quinn, cousin twice-removed of Peter Quill

Listen everyone in the Marvel universe is named Peter

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Lightning Lord posted:

Listen everyone in the Marvel universe is named Peter
Perhaps, but you’ll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

This is what Occult up there looks like without his helmet:

The Resistants (which is what the big R is for) were actually kind of a neat idea; a bunch of Z-list mutants, once called "Mutant Force," who felt the Mutant Registration Act - this was back in the day when the US Government was only registering mutants, not every other superhero - was going to inevitably lead to them getting rounded up and put into camps, and were trying to protest against it.

Naturally it turned out that they'd been organized by the Red Skull.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But....that is exactly what the registration act does.

Mixed messages man

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I think we need some more orb-headed characters in this thread.

Day 42: Occult

I have no clue who this is. And yes, there is a reason for the "R" on the costume. But it's not a good one.

That dude looks like a late 80s/early 90s indie comic character drawn in an overly realistic style.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That's basically the same character I created for a superhero game to fight my PC's as part of a villian team back in the 90's. Only he also had the power of flight so basically he was a one man Reaper drone invisibly zapping my players from 10,000' up as they tried to fight his team-mates.

Good times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

loving MRAs man

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This is what Occult up there looks like without his helmet:

He has seen some poo poo in his days.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I kinda dig how the logo-less version looks hella close to the original X-Men outfits. These dudes c,early thought they were the heroes. What would Marvel look like if the Resostants had underwent their own Thunderbolts arc?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Resistants very much came off in the Captain America comics as an off-brand X-Men team that were cast as the villains despite being right because Captain America was the somewhat-villain protagonist. The 'R' is very much in the vein of everyone having huge 'X's across their costumes, just less stylish. That said, the uniform you're referring to is there slightly miscoloured - it's usually more orange than yellow, and it's Peeper's usual suit outside of the Resistants rather than being a team uniform.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Yeah, it's important to remember that, at the time, "Captain America" was a role being filled by a juiced-up kid from Georgia who used to extra-legally bust heads as the "Super Patriot."

The Resistants weren't wrong, but they were being funded by, and had sleeper agents answering to, the Red Skull. The Red Skull loved nothing more than violent civil uprest (he also funded the ultra-right book-burning Watchdogs), and without his poisonous influence - and had Steve Rogers not been in the blue suit at the time - the whole Resistants angle would have gone entirely differently. Lifter, Peeper, and Burner (some of the red-letter Resistants) were first seen being bullied into service by Magneto; there's no reason that they couldn't have ended up as X-Men, apart from (one supposes) the radicalization funded and abetted by Red Skull to undermine America.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Lurdiak posted:

That dude looks like a late 80s/early 90s indie comic character drawn in an overly realistic style.

There's one particular group shot of them by Kieron Dwyer in a Gruenwald issue where they do absolutely like a crew of Allred characters. They also rescue from Mentallo and get him to change his name to Think-Tank. The next time he shows up he's cruising around in a little mini-tank, so I wonder if they had it lying around waiting for someone they could cook up a tank-related codename for.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 43: Xemnu

There's so many characters in here that I have no clue about. And here's another. He's a Hulk enemy who is formerly known as Hulk himself. Seems that he also used to be red.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reading those Biographical Details is one wild ride.

Also, he seems like a clear cut villain but it says his paraphernalia was designed at Xavier's school. Did he steal Cerebro tech?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Current occupation: Would-be conqueror, teddy bear

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A guy named Xemnu who escaped from a prison planet and has mind domination powers? Now we know where L Ron Hubbard got the idea.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

Current occupation: Would-be conqueror, teddy bear

Former occupation: Ruler of his home planet, tv star.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lobok posted:

Reading those Biographical Details is one wild ride.

Also, he seems like a clear cut villain but it says his paraphernalia was designed at Xavier's school. Did he steal Cerebro tech?

Huh; Xemnu's entry on the Unofficial Appendix to the Marvel Universe doesn't mention anything about it, and they're pretty completist about that kind of thing.

Xemnu the Titan is awesome you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 44: Lucifer

Gonna be honest with you. This was not what I was expecting the character with this name to look like. Completely threw me for a loop.

• Locked thread