Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NaanViolence posted:

Also I've been catching shade from pubbies in MP cuz my Shadow is only level 80. I silence them by whipping out his fine burst, but it's still embarrassing. Is Shadow's final crystal even out in Japan yet?

Do people really notice levels in MP? I often used characters that aren't 99 depending on the bosses and never been kicked for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Do people really notice levels in MP? I often used characters that aren't 99 depending on the bosses and never been kicked for it

I only notice when they're sub 65, and even then if its for the d160 I don't particularly care.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'll get nervous at anyone running a sub-80 person in MP, but that's because their ability hones are usually poo poo

E: still never kicked anyone tho

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Am I generally better off rushing one guy at a time up to the level cap or running a full party through orbfest/XP dungeons? I've been doing parties just for safety/feeling like it was more productive to have a bunch of guys level up together, but I'm wondering if I'm just squandering what time I have left with these dungeons. I've got a bunch of guys in the 65-80 range, a couple in the 80s, and only OK at 99; but I also have a whole lot of new characters with new SBs I need to master and otherwise get them from up from level 1.

It depends on whether you have XP boosting record materia. Once you get Luneth to 99 it is really hard to justify not soloing xp runs since he unlocks a materia that gives a 40% chance of doubling xp for the equipping character. 40% chance to double all xp is significantly better than a 40% chance to double 1/5th the xp (in a party of 5)

Make sure you RW Shadow's BSB if you are running solo, it is the best for powerleveling. I'm pretty sure half of my RW friends are Shadow for that reason.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KPC_Mammon posted:

It depends on whether you have XP boosting record materia. Once you get Luneth to 99 it is really hard to justify not soloing xp runs since he unlocks a materia that gives a 40% chance of doubling xp for the equipping character. 40% chance to double all xp is significantly better than a 40% chance to double 1/5th the xp (in a party of 5)

Make sure you RW Shadow's BSB if you are running solo, it is the best for powerleveling. I'm pretty sure half of my RW friends are Shadow for that reason.

You make a compelling point, I hadn't factored in the EXP boost RM and 1/5 vs 100% of the xp being boosted (I only have Cid VII and OK's EXP boosts). That would make it a hell of a lot more efficient.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Technically speaking the best way to maximize exp returns is to run a full party (or as many people as possible) with exp RM, along with a black mage using break, and then when you start the level you use break to petrify anybody on whom the exp RM did not trigger. If you do this with a full party of 5 all with exp RM, you will have roughly a 75% chance of at least one of the 5 characters triggering double-exp gain. As long as you petrify the ones who don't trigger, you will be getting double exp split between the ones who do.

Now on daily dungeons there is a slight loss of efficiency in this process in that you have to either 1) Retreat and restart with a fully unpetrified party or 2) go on to the next two battles with one or more petrified members who will no longer be able to trigger the exp RM. But on orbfests since the completion bonus is only some gil, it is clearly more beneficial to choose option one since all you're losing is gil.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 3, 2017

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second

KnoxZone posted:

Mage team

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Physical team

Thank you! That's extremely helpful. Will start leveling up these characters and trying to fit things together. Wish I had asked earlier into the fest. :v:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've always ran teams of two or three in dungeons like these for efficiency's sake. For Sunday I especially like doing two: one Black Mage with Ruinga and Meteor, and one baby character that Defends every round. As long as I get them up to level 50 beforehand, they can survive, and it usually gets them to 65 by the end of the day. If they're one of my characters starting at level 65, depending on how lucky they get they could hit 80 or be as low as 75 by the end. But for Orbfest, since it's less threatening, I can more feasibly run an auto-battle team even with just three characters.

The fest ends today though, which is unfortunate. I wanted to finish mastering everything but it looks like I'll be just short a couple of Black Mage relics.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I run 4 physical characters with exp+ and a healer with an rm that turns attack into a heal because gently caress paying attention to grinding.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Nihilarian posted:

I run 4 physical characters with exp+ and a healer with an rm that turns attack into a heal because gently caress paying attention to grinding.

Get Black Mage and Emperor's RM3s for thoughtless grinding with magic users. :getin:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Shock Trooper posted:

I miss the Christmas music already. I'm getting really sick of this BING BONG BING BONG part at the beginning of whatever remix is playing every time I go back to the title screen.

3 months later, the nightmare returns

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ETB posted:

Get Black Mage and Emperor's RM3s for thoughtless grinding with magic users. :getin:
if I have a black mage/darkness mage/summoner to level they get to pretend to be a punch man or a healer for a day, depending on stats and equipment access. Or I can stuff eggs in their mouth, that works too. :v:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dollar pulled The Blitz.

Jecht's immediately my best dark physical DPS option, because despite having garland's BSB and SSB, Garland sucks and Jecht doesn't.

So that's good.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
So somewhat by happenstance (pulling for shout and saintly excal) I now have every Agrias SB. What's the highest DPS usage of her SB bar, assuming a holy-neutral enemy? Just wondering if I should spam the OSB or enholy first or what. Or burst first to get the slight weakness for the osb boost?

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 3, 2017

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

2 SPOOKY posted:

So somewhat by happenstance (pulling for shout and saintly excal) I now have every Agrias SB. What's the highest DPS usage of her SB bar, assuming a holy-neutral enemy? Just wondering if I should spam the OSB or enholy first or what.

En-element into appropriate OSB is always the best way to go.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
That was my understanding, yeah, just wasn't sure if Agrias' specific OSB mechanics warranted mixing the burst in.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
With the caveat that Agrias's BSB and Cleansing Strike both have non-trivial defensive utility (and the former's entry is a multi-target holy imperil that can hit 40k pretty easily), so it's actually worth keeping her non-OSB options in mind.

Agrias is really good and I love her

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alxprit posted:

En-element into appropriate OSB is always the best way to go.

This, absolutely. However, her BSB has utility defensively, given that Sentinel (on her CMD1) + Lionheart means it's self-sustaining in a lot of boss fights. If you were using that instead of the OSB, I'd probably go BSB -> SSB -> Repeat as needed. If it's strictly DPS from Agrias, though, absolutely enelement into OSB nuke.

2 SPOOKY posted:

That was my understanding, yeah, just wasn't sure if Agrias' specific OSB mechanics warranted mixing the burst in.

Agrias would much rather have someone else dropping the Imperil so that she can focus on buffing her own power in that case. Raines SSB and Beatrix BSB are good choices for that, if possible.

EDIT: For the numbers, a neutral-damage Agrias OSB has 1125 Potency (or, in the case of having her OSB +holy sword equipped, 1350 potency). A weakness-damage Agrias OSB has 1275 potency (or, with the +holy, 1530 potency).

Enholy boosts the power of holy elemental SBs by 80%, giving an SSB->OSB combo an effective 2430 potency. (1350*1.8)
One layer of imperil, in contrast, gives a -20% weakness to an enemy and triggers the bonus damage, leading to an effective 1836 potency (1530*1.2)

On the other hand, if Agrias is enholy'd and the boss is imperil'd, that gives an effective 3304 potency. (1530*1.2*1.8)

However, in the time it takes you to get up BSB->SSB->OSB, you could do SSB->OSB->OSB, which gives you more damage for your gauge.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 3, 2017

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Thanks - it's nice to see the math. And yeah, Agrias hasn't really left my physical team ever. She was the first character of mine to ever get more soul breaks mastered than she can actually bring to a fight.

:rip: Hallowed Bolt

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

What's the best way to use TG Cid's OSB? Lifesiphon - Powerchain - OSB - Lifesiphon - OSB?

Also, with new toys I'm trying to make adjustments to my physical team stuff. I have a core of Eiko, Ramza or Onion Knight, Minfilia, and 2 other physical DPS catered to whatever boss elemental weakness. What should I use for RM for the 5th slot (2 slots taken up by Battleforged/Ace striker, 2 by Mako Might/Dr. Mog's)? A +damage RM, or TG Cid's Thunder God Might RM for faster lifesiphons and RW usage?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Virulence posted:

What's the best way to use TG Cid's OSB? Lifesiphon - Powerchain - OSB - Lifesiphon - OSB?

Also, with new toys I'm trying to make adjustments to my physical team stuff. I have a core of Eiko, Ramza or Onion Knight, Minfilia, and 2 other physical DPS catered to whatever boss elemental weakness. What should I use for RM for the 5th slot (2 slots taken up by Battleforged/Ace striker, 2 by Mako Might/Dr. Mog's)? A +damage RM, or TG Cid's Thunder God Might RM for faster lifesiphons and RW usage?

Lifesiphon or spellblade/knight weakness hitting -> OSB-> Full Charge Spam or more weakness hitting -> Repeat

Alternately, if you're well into luxury hones and the boss has no weakness, Powerchain-> Full Charge -> Powerchain -> Full Charge -> Powerchain -> OSB -> Full Charge Full Charge Full Charge OSB etc.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

2 SPOOKY posted:

Thanks - it's nice to see the math. And yeah, Agrias hasn't really left my physical team ever. She was the first character of mine to ever get more soul breaks mastered than she can actually bring to a fight.

:rip: Hallowed Bolt

I've got everything for her except Defender. I think I'll play it completely by ear as to which SB I'll use. She owns so hard.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You guys are killing me. I spent 150 mythril on Banner 4 and got nothing for Agrias, and there's nothing coming up for her in the forseeable future, other than maybe some DU pulls.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Aha, had one other question. I was on hiatus when "+critical strike chance" became more common. I understand it's great for physical teams, especially soft capped ones, but do magic users get anything out of it?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Magic can't crit.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Mages getting nothing from +crit kinda sucks. Then again, outside of bsb commands and 6* abilities mages only get 2-hit attacks at the most. Until the new witch skills release, that is. Add that to the higher magic softcap, and they end up getting​ a lot less out of crits.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

wizard on a water slide posted:

Agrias is really good and I love her

Agrias is love. I chased and got all her relics, I regret nothing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sprite141 posted:

Mages getting nothing from +crit kinda sucks. Then again, outside of bsb commands and 6* abilities mages only get 2-hit attacks at the most. Until the new witch skills release, that is. Add that to the higher magic softcap, and they end up getting​ a lot less out of crits.

Mages can't crit, but physical characters get nothing from the various quickcast variants; only Powerchain effects and the effect of Extra Slice work for them. It's supposed to balance out. (It doesn't balance out)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

physical characters get nothing from the various quickcast variants

There are a ton of variants of quickcast, and most of them work on physical. The ones which don't are the ones on the "mage shouts" and the ones on the forthcoming Witch 4 star skills. Pretty much any other quickcast effect is either only for a specific school or element (regardless of whether the attack is physical or magical) or is completely universal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Quickcast for magic actually predated Ley Lines/Summoner's Dream. Other than the self-only effects like Serah's Clock Master, I think the first instance of it being a party-wide effect was Quistis' Cerberus.

Mages are fine without needing to crit, especially considering that their mage shouts generally have more beneficial effects - compare Shout to the Sheepsong variants for instance.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish the bahamut spell didn't have a damage cap :/

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

between ramza, agrias, and orlandeau does fft have the highest signal to noise ratio on characters? it feels like it

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Cowcaster posted:

between ramza, agrias, and orlandeau does fft have the highest signal to noise ratio on characters? it feels like it

What does this mean, exactly?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
FFT has the highest ratio of "good" characters/SBs compared to "bad" characters/SBs

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

maev posted:

a lot of high tier characters proportional to the total number of characters

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

maev posted:

Cowcaster is asking if FFT is the realm with the highest spread of "good out of the box" characters versus less good characters who need SBs to really be impressive.

To answer that, all of FFT's characters are relatively good performers (at least now that Machinist isn't just a gimmick skillset; Mustadio was kind of a Less Good Ramza before), but they make up for that by being incredibly pigeonholed - all but two characters currently (Mustadio and Ovelia) are sword-swinging Knights of some degree, meaning pulling a whole team of them is relatively samey. Granted, in about 4 events we'll get Rapha and Malach to diversify the spread a little bit, but until then it's just Knight O'Clock, All The Time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i disagree with that a bit. ramza brings 5* support, 4* ninja to the table. Agrias has got white and spellblade 4.

Orlandeau's just got every physical combat thing you could possibly fit

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How many characters can hit every weakness in the game anyway? Brolando too strong.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FFT is definitely sort of heavy on knights, but that's not much of a problem. Knight is a good skillset, and they usually have good equipment access (partly due to the ubiquity of swords with +holy; I think I've got holy swords for either three or four different realms lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

victrix posted:

How many characters can hit every weakness in the game anyway? Brolando too strong.

it's just keeping with final fantasy canon

• Locked thread