Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

This wiki page claims that it's non-retroactive. So if you want max HP train them to 10 endurance and equip them with the +7 END clothing before sending them out into the wastes to level to 50.

Edit:
Also for Fallout Shelter certain weapons do damage to all enemies in the room (such as Fat Men), but that damage is divided between the targets. Other weapons do their damage in bursts and can switch targets if the initial one dies.

Melee weapons can do great damage but you might find yourself having to manually retarget the melee unit.

You can loot rooms but not bodies while your dwellers are in another room. If you miss a container you don't have to go back.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Kenny Logins posted:

Yeah, seconding this, GameFAQs may still be the only option for older games but Gamepressure is much more modern and wiki-like. The walkthroughs are generally pretty much on point without being too spoilery. Depends on the game of course. Also much easier to browse on a smartphone while you're playing.

gameFAQs has gotten better though. There are newer guides that use HTML and as a whole the site is becoming more mobile friendly.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

OptimusShr posted:

gameFAQs has gotten better though. There are newer guides that use HTML and as a whole the site is becoming more mobile friendly.
I suddenly want to look at a mid-1990s-era GameFAQs walkthrough on my mobile phone so I can feel like I am using some sort of Futuristic PDA Device to its fullest extent. "Yep, the whole Ultima VII FAQ fits on here, and you can even search words in it!"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5? Long time fan, played everything in the series until now, just started up MGS5 and it's so different and there's so much to do and so much going on oh god hold me
If you intend on building up your FOBs and PVP, you better cheat in resources to bypass the horrible grind. Researching stuff will eventually take entire days to learn and resources take hours to grind and upgrade one platform, which also takes several hours.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

On the other hand, if you accept that everything after level 5/6 is only supposed to be researched with microtransactions, the normal research and resource progression in the game is pretty balanced. Don't cheat resources until you finish chapter 2.
Also, don't expect chapter 2 to close up all the loose ends. It's less frustrating if you know that.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

PJOmega posted:

I know there was more for Tale of Berseria but the wiki only has 2 notes.

The combat feels ridiculously button mashy even on moderate.

Because it is. Just abuse Velvet's Break Soul, because it's not something you have to save for boss fights or anything and your HP can't drop below 1 while it's active. Which you can then use her Break Soul again to recover your HP immediately. Her various Break Soul abilities also reset your combo when you use them so you can chain your artes over and over again as long as your soul gauge stays at 3 icons or more.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Because it is. Just abuse Velvet's Break Soul, because it's not something you have to save for boss fights or anything and your HP can't drop below 1 while it's active. Which you can then use her Break Soul again to recover your HP immediately. Her various Break Soul abilities also reset your combo when you use them so you can chain your artes over and over again as long as your soul gauge stays at 3 icons or more.

I'm now at whatever is the first unlockable difficulty and yeah, still the same. Check weaknesses, load up an arte chain that hits them, then spam that arte chain slamming R2 every 3 attacks.

The only time I'm in danger is when a cloud of chocobo wannabes or whatnot bust me down to 2 (or 1) soul. But even then evasion steps seem good.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Berseria is much more fun if you play as people who aren't Velvet, imo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Any suggestions for Hollow Knight?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PJOmega posted:

I'm now at whatever is the first unlockable difficulty and yeah, still the same. Check weaknesses, load up an arte chain that hits them, then spam that arte chain slamming R2 every 3 attacks.

please do not hit r2 every three attacks because, as the game hasn't told you yet, velvet's Therionized is actually a negative status effect that drains your hp progressively faster until you end a combo with the form finisher

like it's okay to keep up for a little while, but tfw you get plinked for 1hp on a dodge and die you're like "what happened?"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

please do not hit r2 every three attacks because, as the game hasn't told you yet, velvet's Therionized is actually a negative status effect that drains your hp progressively faster until you end a combo with the form finisher

like it's okay to keep up for a little while, but tfw you get plinked for 1hp on a dodge and die you're like "what happened?"

Realized that. Took even more combats to realize that R2ing while theronized doesn't reset the drain pace.

Ah well it's nice to continue combos. Now combats are either easy mode or 2-hit KO, mostly predicated on if I go above 3 souls or get knocked to 2 in the opening scrum.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
You should have an ability now where holding block for a second or so gives you a buff that makes your next strike much more likely to stun. If you use that before a stunning attack a couple of times, you should be able to get some more souls quite quickly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anything for Mafia 3?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm used to Tales plots being designed to make anyone discussing them sound bafflingly, alarmingly insane but I see the battle systems are now 100% in that ballpark too

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm used to Tales plots being designed to make anyone discussing them sound bafflingly, alarmingly insane but I see the battle systems are now 100% in that ballpark too

It really isn't, this is how it works in normal English:

1) Every enemy has a monster type and elemental weaknesses and resistances
2) Most attacks have a type it's effective against, and an element attached
3) If you hit a Beast-type monster with an attack that's effective against Beasts, it does extra damage, can start a stunlock, and has an increased chance for on-hit procs
4) You can change your ability loadouts at any time in battle, so even though you can assign four attacks in series to each button, you can switch them for a particular encounter (e.g., a boss), too
5) Therionized is a special mode the main character can enter where her HP constantly drains, but she gets a damage boost and lots of invincibility frames, and a special finishing move on top of that

I mean, it's not quite as straightforward as Cast Bolt On Robots like Final Fantasy, but if you take out all the weird terminology, it's still pretty basic.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

It really isn't, this is how it works in normal English:

1) Every enemy has a monster type and elemental weaknesses and resistances
2) Most attacks have a type it's effective against, and an element attached
3) If you hit a Beast-type monster with an attack that's effective against Beasts, it does extra damage, can start a stunlock, and has an increased chance for on-hit procs
4) You can change your ability loadouts at any time in battle, so even though you can assign four attacks in series to each button, you can switch them for a particular encounter (e.g., a boss), too
5) Therionized is a special mode the main character can enter where her HP constantly drains, but she gets a damage boost and lots of invincibility frames, and a special finishing move on top of that

I mean, it's not quite as straightforward as Cast Bolt On Robots like Final Fantasy, but if you take out all the weird terminology, it's still pretty basic.

There's also the thing that hitting all of a monsters weaknesses with the first attacks of a combo means that all the subsequent attacks in the combo will also do extra damage, as if the enemy was weak to them as well. Also, resistances trump weaknesses, so if you have an attack which does fire damage, and is strong against winged units, then it's not effective against winged enemies that resist fire.

I would usually try to have one combo set up per enemy type in a zone, so I'd push X vs the bats and Y vs the snails or whatever. It's effective, but a tedious pain to set up in each new zone, especially if you try and so it with more than one character at once.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

There's also the thing that hitting all of a monsters weaknesses with the first attacks of a combo means that all the subsequent attacks in the combo will also do extra damage, as if the enemy was weak to them as well. Also, resistances trump weaknesses, so if you have an attack which does fire damage, and is strong against winged units, then it's not effective against winged enemies that resist fire.

I would usually try to have one combo set up per enemy type in a zone, so I'd push X vs the bats and Y vs the snails or whatever. It's effective, but a tedious pain to set up in each new zone, especially if you try and so it with more than one character at once.

Each dungeon trains you to do this even.

The first room is all 3-4 types of enemies in mono groups. So you hit a group, are presented with 3-5 of one type of enemy. You set an arte chain to beat them up (except fiends, angry face) and you wail on them. Repeat for all the variations.

Then the next room has groups that are mixed of 2 types, with 4-6 per group. It also has them packed a little tighter, so you may inadvertantly combine two of them into a dangerous encounter.

The third chamber onwards has fully integrated groups of 5+.

Repeat until you start looking at walkthroughs not for help but to see how much more game there is ahead of you.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
Anything for Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires?

I haven't really played a Warriors game since about 3 or 4, so is there anything in particular that has changed gameplay-wise since the info on the wiki for 7, or anything for the strategy aspects of Empires?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any tips for Persona 5? I've played a lot of 3 and 4 as well as other SMT games, but am going into this one nearly blind.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Any tips for Persona 5? I've played a lot of 3 and 4 as well as other SMT games, but am going into this one nearly blind.

Yeah I was about to ask if anyone had a good spoiler free guide for leveling social stats

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Taking everything I know from P3 and P4 I can expect the following rules for Social Links

1) Have a Persona of the same Arcana
2) Hanging out on Sundays doesn't level up although in P4 they give you exclusive stuff on Sundays
3) Do your school buddies exclusively during school time because they're not available during breaks or the week leading up to exams
4) On days where you have no one you can talk to, use the shrine to get a boost
5) Anyone who talks to you during lunch is ready to advance

If P5 fucks with those rules I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Off the top of my head, a few small ones -

- Try to always have a book you can read, either by buying one or checking one out of the library. You'll sometimes get a chance to read it on the subway.
- I'd recommend starting with a book that raises your knowledge, due to exams that come up fairly quickly
- Go to the movies when a new one comes out, since it can raise stats quite a bit.
- Go to the bathhouse on mondays and thursdays, as well as rainy days for a bigger charm bonuses.
- Make sure you always have lockpicks handy before going into the dungeons - some of the treasures from locked chests are pretty good. After you raise your proficiency you'll be able to craft a few at a time.
- Go as far as you can into a dungeon before leaving - you'll need to reach the end, then leave, then come back to fight a boss, so don't worry about leaving before the end to heal up or whatever.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Hollow Knight, in particular with regards to missable collectibles and such?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
It's pretty generous with keeping areas open with a couple exceptions, and it eventually gives you an in-game counter for how close you are to 100% that playthrough. I think only the monster journal (defeating a certain amount of a type of enemy) is the only thing that could get cut off but that's also maybe the least significant collectible mission.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Do the two Viva Pinata games have a win state, or are they permanently open ended? Can they be "beaten"?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I don't think they can be beaten. In the end you eventually run out of things to do, but apart from that you can keep going as long as you like.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

al-azad posted:

Taking everything I know from P3 and P4 I can expect the following rules for Social Links

1) Have a Persona of the same Arcana
2) Hanging out on Sundays doesn't level up although in P4 they give you exclusive stuff on Sundays
3) Do your school buddies exclusively during school time because they're not available during breaks or the week leading up to exams
4) On days where you have no one you can talk to, use the shrine to get a boost
5) Anyone who talks to you during lunch is ready to advance

If P5 fucks with those rules I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Only #1 applies in Persona 5

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Do the two Viva Pinata games have a win state, or are they permanently open ended? Can they be "beaten"?

Theyre permanently open ended but there are various challenges. Unless you are super duper into the need to collect achievements Viva Pinata 2 completely replaces any need to play Viva Pinata one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Here's what you actually need to know for Persona 5;

General Stuff
  • When the child asks about the cat on the train, the correct answer is "...time to Button Mash!".
  • When you get near the end of the first dungeon, just blitz on through to the treasure room instead of burning a day to rest and come back at the Safe Room nearby. P5 works differently to the older games, and the final Boss is done as a separate run at the Treasure after you send the Calling Card.
  • Standard Persona/SMT rules still apply; The leader dies, you are done.
  • The game doesn't actually mention it, but you can swap party members any time you want outside of combat in Palaces/Mementos. Go to the Stats menu and press Square to toggle active party members.
  • Light and Curse now have actual damage spells (instead of just %-to-instakill spells)
  • The Temperance and Star Confidants are well worth doing (you'll encounter the first as a story event, the latter is just suggested you should go meet someone at a place later in the game). Temperance will open up a little more free time than you'd have otherwise, albeit at the expense of money initially, and Star gives you some very nice quality-of-life improvements like being able to swap party members during battles.
  • Learn to use Baton Pass instead of just smacking another/the same enemy with a second round of whatever just works. It buffs damage and healing, so you can either make it hurt even more or pass it to someone with dia- spells to fix your poo poo.
  • The book store in Shibuya has a book that improves your stat gain by an extra point from seeing Movies (3 instead of 2).
  • Go to the movies and watch DVD's. They don't just have descriptions like in the older games, they have audio clips and are loving magical :allears:.
  • Don't fret too much about being late on returning DVD's. I don't know the actual trigger specifically, but I think if you pass a story event before returning it (which could eat a few days) you'll just run into the store clerk not giving two shits and waiving the fee. It might have to do with returning it late at night, maybe.
  • Make sure you always have a book on you with unread chapters. Some mornings you can grab a seat on the train, and it's a free chance to read something.
  • While the night you send the Calling Card will lock you out of most activities with the usual "go to bed" prompts, you can still make Infiltration Tools.
  • Some party members just plain aren't available as Confidants until after the current dungeon's complete. They're too worried about what's going on, or whatever.
  • Use whomever you want in combat, backup party members get full XP. Go nuts.
  • The Moon Arcana Confidant lets you earn XP in combat for your reserve party members.

New to SMT/Persona Games stuff
  • Buff and Debuff spells exist for a reason. If you run into something with no exploitable weakness, just smack'em with brainwashing, confusion, whatever. Everything aside from bosses are susceptible to Ailments, so go nuts.
  • You can still, however, cripple bosses with the -unda stat debuff spells, and you'll generally want to to keep them manageable. Dekaja's a spell well worth keeping on-hand to wipe off any buffs they give themselves too.
  • The early stretch of the game will seem pretty easy once you just bop Shadows with their weaknesses, but this will change pretty quickly to you getting your poo poo kicked in if you don't keep a handle on doing so. Especially when they start bopping your weaknesses and stack their own One More's.
  • Never waste a day by just going home to bed. There's always something you can do, even if it's just going to the movies or visiting the nearby public bathhouse.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 13, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Here's what you actually need to know for Persona 5;

General Stuff

[*]The game doesn't actually mention it, but you can swap party members any time you want outside of combat in Palaces/Mementos. Go to the Stats menu and press Square to toggle active party members.

What

Neddy Seagoon posted:

[*]Learn to use Baton Pass instead of just smacking another/the same enemy with a second round of whatever just works. It buffs damage and healing, so you can either make it hurt even more or pass it to someone with dia- spells to fix your poo poo.

WHAT

Man, maybe I'm just dense or the game is bad at communicating some of this stuff, but this would've changed my strategies quite a bit.

My recommendation would be to never do something that gives you 2 points to a social stat - there's almost always something that will give you 3. For example, studying in the library isn't really worth it when you can study in the restaurant instead for an extra stat point (two extra, if it's raining).
Oh, and keep a stock of good-quality plant food on you (bought from the Shibuya underground mall, there may be something better later though I'm not sure). Check the plant in your room every night to see if it needs some more food, as giving it some will raise your kindness.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 10, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
This also keeps coming up in the the main Persona 5 thread but If you're connected to Thieves' Guild you can press the touchpad outside of the Metaverse and in the bottom right it'll show you the average player level of that day

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you try to recruit a persona you have previously registered it'll ask you to converse with it again but you can decline and it joins in disappointment. I don't know why they even give you the option.

Also conversations aren't random. Timid persona like concerned responses, irritable want direct, and gloomy like vague. It seems arbitrary but anything with eclipses will please gloomy and piss off irritable.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 10, 2017

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

al-azad posted:

Also conversations aren't random. Timid persona like concerned responses, irritable want direct, and gloomy like vague. It seems arbitrary but anything with eclipses will please gloomy and piss off irritable.

In regards to this: there is literally a chart in the publicly available manual which shows which persona personalities like/dislike which responses. Everyone I've spoken to apparently had no idea this chart existed, I guess because manual reading is a lost art.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Nick Buntline posted:

In regards to this: there is literally a chart in the publicly available manual which shows which persona personalities like/dislike which responses. Everyone I've spoken to apparently had no idea this chart existed, I guess because manual reading is a lost art.

I didn't even know there was a manual like this, granted I didn't check too hard since the game has a tutorial section that has, I'm guessing, everything in the manual in it in some form or other. Like even that's in there under Persona Personalities, but it isn't a chart, and it just tells you what they like.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Persona 5

You dont need the matching Arcana for Sun/Moon, they will level up every time regardless.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A few more things just remembered/rediscovered for Shadowrun: Dragonfall

- If you want all the dialogue with your team, ask about the missions before the personal stuff. People tend to clam up after spilling their life story.
- And if you want said life story, be prepared to pry at every opportunity.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 11, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

- And if you want said life story, be prepared to pry at every opportunity.
Seriously. With Glory and Eiger in particular, it sometimes seems it's better to give them time to deal with their things - gently caress that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Anyone have tips for Hacknet? I've already played Uplink, if that helps.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

Anyone have tips for Hacknet? I've already played Uplink, if that helps.
It's literally uplink with less depth and more typing and a veneer of real networking concepts like ports. The mechanisms and logic are the same; you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Anything for Endless Legend ? With all the expansions.