Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIB85xpVZVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Oh my god the whole game needs to be like that.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

First time I've seen a game dubbed in Spanish. The dub replaces a few words so it isn't 100% accurate, if anyone is curious.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I discovered a game where you play as an animal more hosed up then Ecco the Dolphin? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1lNyNNmuo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Watch Dogs 2 looks real good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RickDaedalus posted:

First time I've seen a game dubbed in Spanish. The dub replaces a few words so it isn't 100% accurate, if anyone is curious.

ubisoft is always really good about offering full EFIGS dubs for their games.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Oh I know. I just meant that I never bother looking at them. Every time I hear Spanish, I either think about the angry moms in my neighborhood or those bad soap operas my mom and dad would always watch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RickDaedalus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt8JABbwoHQ&t=43s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't believe this thread isn't stickied yet.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Are there any tips for making Fallout Shelter more fun and interesting? It's one of those games I want to like but it has too many small aspects that add up to frustration. I know it's an old Android game but I'm playing the free Steam version.

I was doing well enough until now, I bred 50 dwellers, had them out doing quests, unlocked a bunch of rooms, was doing crafting, etc. and naturally a random giant fuckoff mole rat attack sprang up in nearly every room and wiped out the place in the span of two minutes, despite most of my characters having upgraded suits and weapons. That's some poor game design.

I'm thinking of starting over but if I put a bunch of hours into it again and the vault turns into a graveyard for no reason when I'm asleep then my head might explode.

It looks like the common wisdom with this game is to quit once it becomes aggravating, because it isn't worth the effort. It could have been good!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Pro Tip: Fallout Shelter is a free to play tie-in to a mediocre game. The easiest way to enjoy it more is probably just to lower your standards so that you find boring poo poo more enjoyable...

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I finally got to play 1/2 Genie Hero and it's disappointing. It's not as fun as the last two games :(

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Fallout Shelter pro strats:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Snak posted:

Pro Tip: Fallout Shelter is a free to play tie-in to a mediocre game. The easiest way to enjoy it more is probably just to lower your standards so that you find boring poo poo more enjoyable...

It's also designed for mobile. So the few hours it takes to peak is meant to be done in the span of months.

Bout to descend on Earth in ME3. Why did all the good characters from 2 have to die? Leaving me with ME1 boring characters. At least Ashley fucks poo poo up.

Fake edit: Maybe it's because bioware knew id tear up at Legion/Thane/Mordin whereas i would probably just shrug at Garrus/Liara/Tali dying.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
don't worry, everyone gets stranded on a jungle planet mars and dies anyway

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe this thread isn't stickied yet.

It's a secret to everybody.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finished broken age. the hate over it was overdone as i expected

the only thing that was not obvious was that the snake can fall asleep. otherwise any puzzle i looked up a guide for, and it was just a couple of times, i realized i would have figured it out had i just kept playing another 10 minutes (like slowing down the trash bot)

i will say the audio mix of the game is a little weird, most of the characters speak in a very casual, hushed tone of voice except for jennifer hale who just goes ham like she does in all her roles

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Quest For Glory II posted:

finished broken age. the hate over it was overdone as i expected

the only thing that was not obvious was that the snake can fall asleep. otherwise any puzzle i looked up a guide for, and it was just a couple of times, i realized i would have figured it out had i just kept playing another 10 minutes (like slowing down the trash bot)

i will say the audio mix of the game is a little weird, most of the characters speak in a very casual, hushed tone of voice except for jennifer hale who just goes ham like she does in all her roles

I skimmed the first line of this and thought you were playing a Metal Gear Solid game and was confused at how Snake falling asleep was a puzzle, and it was kind of funny to think about

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I thought Fallout Shelter was considered pretty meh? Like, people were crazy about it at first because it was revealed during that Bethesda presentation with the whole "and you can play it...right...now" gimmick but then it turned out that the game doesn't really have much to it and is just one of those typical grindy mobile games you only remember about when you flip through your apps on the toilet.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

don't worry, everyone gets stranded on a jungle planet mars and dies anyway

Nah, just shep died. Synthesis was the only way to really save all her friends. Assumed id live because she obviously became a hybrid in the cinematic but lol, guess the only good choice had to have a dumb drawback.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anyway, how did Rain World turn out?

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

I finally got to play 1/2 Genie Hero and it's disappointing. It's not as fun as the last two games :(

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Though to be honest, the only reason I was disappointed was because I was expecting a metroidvania game. Wayforward decided to make a megaman game instead. It's still fun, but it's not what I expected nor wanted.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
How's multiplayer in Andromeda? From the two maps i played(solo) in 3 it looked like a good time, like if Warframe had good combat or power design. Gonna play the 10 hour demo, see if i want to buy it.

This origin access is pretty cool, i can finally get around to Dead Space 2.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oodx4X1z0yI

so a new agents of mayhem trailer hit. its basicaly a 80s cartoon/movie/tv show inspired game in the saints row universe. i want to like it, but that swapping mecanic looks bad plus it just looks generic, like i get what they are trying to go for and i am sure it will be ok at least because volition has talent. but the everything look, idk eh. it looks like something that was poo poo out by gearbox.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nasgate posted:

How's multiplayer in Andromeda? From the two maps i played(solo) in 3 it looked like a good time, like if Warframe had good combat or power design. Gonna play the 10 hour demo, see if i want to buy it.

This origin access is pretty cool, i can finally get around to Dead Space 2.

It's fun but has some balance issues (guns are generally underpowered) and some connectivity issues. They did a good job fixing things in ME3 so there is hope.

Origin Access was a pleasant surprise for me too.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Palpek posted:

Anyway, how did Rain World turn out?

Me and let's hang out have been playing it the last week and the best I can say is that the written reviews for it are 100% accurate (and they scored it low)

There's a super interesting game there but it's buried under layers of tedium, frustration, and poorly balanced difficulty

I can see what the devs were going for now that I'm noticing all the Buddhist imagery in the game, "life itself is a struggle" or something I believe but for a fun game that does not make

I've enjoyed it enough that I think I'm past the halfway point and I've put about 25ish hours into it

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 3, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So with the weekend and snow and 16 hours of Nier behind me, my thoughts so far are mostly positive but obviously not over the moon yet as I've yet to get any Ending besides K and that seems to be the content people liked the most. There's a fair amount of technical jank in this game, with the occasional hitch, character models freaking out because of random placement as I move around, and even a full on game-exiting crash (I'm on a PS4 Pro). I've come to really hate invisible walls blocking me from getting to places that I feel I should be able to, which is frustrating in that the map is often not very helpful at all with telling you how to actually navigate to points of interest. At least it's kind of funny how the game calls itself out on this with the resistance member with the robot helmet who talks about the map.

But I like what I see. It plays fairly well and I've been able to learn on my own how to better handle my setup; you're granted pretty early on full access to just about every type of chip you'd want, but they'll have high slot costs so you start to learn how to balance swapping old ones with new ones if they have lower requirements. Sometimes getting a chip with fewer bonuses is actually better because it'll take up so much less space. I really hope I can find some good Overclocked ones because witch time is always fun and the current one I have is +3 with a cost of 19. World seems obviously very interesting and for now at least I feel compelled to complete most/all sidequests I come across. For at least the near future I'm going to put everything I have into it so as to finish it as soon as possible.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Rain World makes you work harder for your story than any game I've ever seen. Last night I busted my rear end carrying something across the entire world to hand deliver it to an npc and it was massively frustrating just about the entire way, but then I made it and I got a little more insight into the actually pretty neat story of the world and I was glad I did it and I'm probably going to do it again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mashing low level low space chips together is the best way because the amount of size they take up remains fairly small, any +5 or 6 you can buy is going to be like double the size.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i spent most of my money fusing damage done -> health chips and damage+ chips and i never had to worry about dying again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Health recharge is the most game-breaking, it's almost always easy to disengage and not get hit for a few seconds.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but why bother when you can stack health on damage and health on kills and be 99% invincible?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't remember where I found it but I did get an Auto Heal+3 that has made exploration far more manageable. I've been going with Auto Item on bosses for now but that I could always change. I do have a bunch of low level Deadly Heals that I could mash together though so I'll probably play with that setup too.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
My big Nier regret was not buying the "auto item pickup" chip when I could. I was a little bit short on cash and was over-confident about my ability to buy it later.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh christ that's a thing? I've definitely felt it would be great if I could just run over items and not have to break my sprint. But to be honest that really should be an in-game feature!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Oh christ that's a thing? I've definitely felt it would be great if I could just run over items and not have to break my sprint. But to be honest that really should be an in-game feature!

You can buy it from P&D's shop in route C. Or at the end if A/B? I don't remember when that store opens.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Broken Age is good, although I agree about the voice acting direction being a bit peculiar.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I skimmed the first line of this and thought you were playing a Metal Gear Solid game and was confused at how Snake falling asleep was a puzzle, and it was kind of funny to think about

It sure sounds like something you'd have to do to get an XOF badge.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 3, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have 5 shrines left in Zelda before I think I'm done and the prospect of playing a different game is so foreign to me at this point that I don't know what I'm going to play when I'm done.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I was really mad that the game was rude about sending the guy immune to radiation into the radioactive chamber, which seemed to be the logical loving solution to the problem

bloodychill posted:

That was indeed the dumbest thing in decision-making story games.

The best was that option had to be patched in later, and the derision from the devs for having to add the incredibly obvious solution that every single person playing the game at that point realized was palpable in the patched scene.

I said come in! posted:

I discovered a game where you play as an animal more hosed up then Ecco the Dolphin? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1lNyNNmuo

I don't know if you're making that comparison because you know but it's the same creaters (Novotrade/Appaloosa). They also did that Jaws Unleashed game on PS2 where not-Shamu is the first boss.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lakbay posted:

I can see what the devs were going for now that I'm noticing all the Buddhist imagery in the game, "life itself is a struggle" or something
Wait, does this mean Dark Souls is buddhist?

Also thanks for the write-up, I guess I'll pass on the game for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Palpek posted:

Wait, does this mean Dark Souls is buddhist?

Also thanks for the write-up, I guess I'll pass on the game for the time being.

You could make a very strong argument for a Buddhist interpretation of Dark Souls, I think.

• Locked thread