Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I have yet to stagger a harald knight. Been using wolfs curved sword and the black knights halberd. They not do a good job of staggering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Gimbal lock posted:

Everybody doing spear of the church stuff is repping the biggest heaviest weapons they can muster. Like 90% of people are using ultra greatswords.

It's because the way that the fight scaling of the player character works disproportionately favors heavy weapons with lots of hyper armor and having heavy armor. Moreso than the game already favors heavy weapons in its current state, even.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Raptor1033 posted:

I have yet to stagger a harald knight. Been using wolfs curved sword and the black knights halberd. They not do a good job of staggering?
I staggered them easily with a giant club but could never do it with the FUGS so gently caress knows but i guess you might have better luck with blunt weapons

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm a little disappointed that the freaky flying tree root angel things are called "pilgrim butterflies". Still creepy as gently caress.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

did I break Lapps quest? beat the final boss and went back to earthen and found him there, then in ringed city on a balcony. where next?

Alright so at the bottom of the long stairway down to the swamp, at the bottom heading down, head immediately LEFT until you find a ladder. Climb this, then climb up the stairs past the Fly-Man NPC. Cross the bridge (there's 2 of the Ringed Knights, be careful) and keep heading to the right until you find a room full of chairs. Lapp should be inside. If you've found the purging monument, tell him about it. If not, find that then return to him and tell him about it.

Next, you need to find him in the Shared Graves. At the main entrance where you ran to escape from Midir's fire, turn backwards and walk over the rubble. Keep looking around until you find a room that has a scrap of fabric hanging outside it.

Inside is ya boi Lapp!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
nice, thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hampig posted:

There are obvious places to go once you recognise Dark Souls is mostly horror and only incidentally fantasy. Dead Space, the creepy planets from Aliens, System Shock, Soma, Event Horizon and yeah even Mass Effect (like the Overlord DLC) are all the kinds of settings that could easily suit a sci-fi Dark Souls game.

I don't think any of those would work with souls tbh.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dark Souls 1 and 2 are both "dark fantasy," which is distinct from "horror." Dark Souls 3 makes a noticeable break in aesthetics from the previous two for most of its areas. This is something I noticed upon going back and replaying DS2: the most common ambient sound you hear from Hollows in DS2 is mournful sobbing or vague grunting, whereas the most common ambient sound you hear from Hollows in DS3 is them screaming like hellbeasts.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Vermain posted:

Dark Souls 1 and 2 are both "dark fantasy," which is distinct from "horror." Dark Souls 3 makes a noticeable break in aesthetics from the previous two for most of its areas. This is something I noticed upon going back and replaying DS2: the most common ambient sound you hear from Hollows in DS2 is mournful sobbing or vague grunting, whereas the most common ambient sound you hear from Hollows in DS3 is them screaming like hellbeasts.

They took it up a notch, and it's clear that Miyazaki, still Lovin' This poo poo when it came to Bloodborne's aesthetics, thought it might be cool to go full cosmic horror in the Soulsverse, giving us this very gothic and esoteric finale for the series. I am actually glad they did this, because I felt DS2 lacked so much aesthetically that a more severe shift in art direction was exactly the breath of fresh air we needed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vermain posted:

The aesthetic of DS3 takes a lot from Demons Souls, really

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Reading too much into everything maybe that's because the Deep is seeping into them now.

The locust says the incests Irina sees aren't of the abyss, and sound like the gnaw incests from the Deep. So the Deep might be a distinct and much worse abyss, the relinking of the fire even breaking the dark at this point.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm a little disappointed that the freaky flying tree root angel things are called "pilgrim butterflies". Still creepy as gently caress.

Really? I loved it. It made me realize what they were. The pilgrims are so cool when you get their full story.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope people find the peace they seek in the world of Shrek.

:haw:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd really like to see a Souls-style game set in a contemporary, modern day setting. I'd like the idea of collecting something like a policeman's uniform or a construction worker's vest as "armor" complete with lore descriptions, maybe fighting some sort of horrible invasion of a modern earth city. Add a crafting system, build your own makeshift weaponry and turn ordinary clothing into fortified armors.

For the online element, maybe you could plant your gear pieces into other people's worlds, held by an ultra-hard special enemy, and when people got your gear it would have a sort of randomly-generated bit of fluff text with your character's name to tell you about it. It'd be like a "loot system" but it'd still grant that sense of importance to the individual pieces of gear, which is one of my favorite parts of Souls.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Augus posted:

The aesthetic of DS3 takes a lot from Demons Souls, really

Way more from Bloodborne though. Like at times I feel like I'm playing medieval Bloodborne. Which I have zero complaints about.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Swamp area of Ringed City is SUPER Bloodborne. Very reminiscent of Nightmare Frontier

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The locust are creepy and I love it. The Evangelists talk during the fights too but it doesn't have the same effect. There are so few enemies that can talk in the series.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The Evangelists talk during the fights too but it doesn't have the same effect.

HAW HAW HAW

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

do the weird swamp things talk as well or was i just imagining that

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Let the feast begin. Let the feast begin.Let the feast begin.Let the feast begin.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Welp, I'm stuck on the last boss, but man, I loved this DLC. The bosses are great - they have perfectly clear tells but hit really hard, and their combos are well defined (unlike some bosses (gently caress you Sulyvahn)). When I first encountering the bosses, they felt impossible and frustrating, but in the last encounter I felt untouchable. Not because I switched weapons or leveled up or whatever, I just gat gud after a few hours of being bad

The last boss feels manageable, I'm just not doing enough damage before I mess up and get myself killed. Every summon I've tried except one has gotten one-shot before phase 2, so I guess I'm doing this solo? I'm currently doing it at NG+5 (level 125), so NG+7 is going to be interesting..?

Spears of the Church is a great concept, I think the scaling of the boss vs the number of summons works well, but it is really hard for a single host - especially if they're not used to phantom range and other PvP weirdness. I try to limit myself when facing a single or inexperienced host, but the painting guardians + the protective soulmass is hard enough for some people. I hope people will try to do the same before every new player hears rumor that you should go offline for that boss.

also boob armor and no-pants pants, let the feast begin

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

hampig posted:

What do people mean by scifi souls? Do they mean a difficult sci-fi game with sparse resources? An action RPG in a sci-fi setting? Literally the exact same game with a different skin?

Personally I want more or less that last thing - Dark Souls gameplay but with robots and energy swords. Dash of PSO, but more of the atmosphere of Metroid? Plenty of themes that could be worked in too: Ai rampancy, cosmic horror, xenomorphs. Metroid Fusion had this whole thing where some of the robots had organic aspects to them, which let them get hijacked by X parasites. Thinking of robots that get giant fleshy bits bursting out of them or something seems kind of up the alley of Souls.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm pretty sure when people say "scifi souls" (or really "anything souls") they mean Souls gameplay in a different setting. Like what they did with Bloodborne, basically :v:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
People complain about franchises having stagnant gameplay (Assassin's Creed, Pokemon, Souls, etc) but fans really do want the same thing over and over with a fresh coat of paint. I'm no different with Soulsborne games

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Retreat into the painting to wait out the end of the world, while simultaneously fighting other paintings.

In mechs.

Armored Souls

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Playing Bloodborne with it's fantastic gameplay, setting, story, and music, and then going to Dark Souls 3... yeah, I'm okay with them moving on. Dark Souls 3 is pretty fantastic, but it pales in comparison. Hopefully they can recreate the conditions they had creating Bloodborne, whether it's money, time or supervision they need

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jordbo posted:

Playing Bloodborne with it's fantastic gameplay, setting, story, and music, and then going to Dark Souls 3... yeah, I'm okay with them moving on. Dark Souls 3 is pretty fantastic, but it pales in comparison. Hopefully they can recreate the conditions they had creating Bloodborne, whether it's money, time or supervision they need

On the other hand it's a console exclusive so a lot of us can't even play it :argh:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you like Japanese games, especially RPGs, you should really consider picking up a PS4 if you can afford it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like the Dark Souls setting more than BB's. I just prefer that aesthetic more, though both are good.

New Concept Hole posted:

Retreat into the painting to wait out the end of the world, while simultaneously fighting other paintings.

In mechs.

Armored Souls

Equip the Moonlight laser blade and form a squad with Patch the Good Luck and Irbis Ornstein to fight the Pursuer. Don't try parrying. :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wizard on a water slide posted:

If you like Japanese games, especially RPGs, you should really consider picking up a PS4 if you can afford it

I do like Japanese games, and especially RPGs. I also would totally buy a console simply to play Bloodborne, but unfortunately money and space are an issue and I don't really see myself getting a PS4 ever. :smith: I've watched a ton of Bloodborne runs (from blind runs to challenge runs) and spent a lot of time reading and trying to wrap my head around its lore though. Just because I can't play it doesn't mean I can't at least enjoy other people playing it damnit :arghfist::saddowns:

Lakbay posted:

People complain about franchises having stagnant gameplay (Assassin's Creed, Pokemon, Souls, etc) but fans really do want the same thing over and over with a fresh coat of paint. I'm no different with Soulsborne games

I don't mind "stagnating" gameplay at all, as long as the devs keep refining it and adding QOL changes. Pokémon is a good example of this, the newest game was incredibly good and easily the best Pokémon game... despite for the most part being exactly like all the other games (i.e. a Pokémon game). The reason? Tons of small QOL changes. Things I hadn't even thought about before but now feel lacking if I try to play the older games.

That's the good way of making "the same game" over and over, in my opinion :3:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Pokemon has been improving on it's mechanics each time.
But absolutely if they just gave us Metroid map packs every few years people would be really happy

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Reading too much into everything maybe that's because the Deep is seeping into them now.

The locust says the incests Irina sees aren't of the abyss, and sound like the gnaw incests from the Deep. So the Deep might be a distinct and much worse abyss, the relinking of the fire even breaking the dark at this point.

Really? I loved it. It made me realize what they were. The pilgrims are so cool when you get their full story.

The story is cool, it's just the butterfly part was a let down.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Way more from Bloodborne though. Like at times I feel like I'm playing medieval Bloodborne. Which I have zero complaints about.

Upper Lothric Castle definitely takes a lot from Bloodborne, specifically Yahar'ghul. What with the sky changing and the weird creatures floating around in the sky and all.

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the Dark Souls setting more than BB's. I just prefer that aesthetic more, though both are good.

It's all personal taste of course but I absolutely love Bloodborne's setting, it start out as a wonderful take on the Van Helsing-esque beast hunter concept and ends up doing Lovecraft way better than Lovecraft ever did. The story is told extremely well through the minimal cutscenes and felt more cohesive than Dark Souls lore. I felt like I was piecing together a mystery and digging up hidden secrets and horrors buried under the city, and the city changes around you as your perception changes of it. It's just amazing.

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 3, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that Playstation Now thing that lets you "rent" some PS3 games on PC or however it works is expanding to PC soon, I'm hoping Bloodborne will be on it (I know Nioh is)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh poo poo really? That sounds rad af

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Yeah if that means DeS and BB are coming to PC that owns.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Azuth0667 posted:

Yeah if that means DeS and BB are coming to PC that owns.

Pretty sure PlayStation Now only has both versions of Dark Souls 2 right now. Also you're literally streaming the game like a Netflix movie so unless you've got the world's best ISP AND PSN is performing at peak efficiency for an extended period of time (lol) the game is gonna be blurry and have a lot of input lag. And if your connection drops you'll be kicked out to the home screen.

Man I would pay any price for an HD bundle of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 3, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That sounds too good to be true, so I googled it... and I still can't understand how it works :confused:

If it's purely streamed (i.e. you watch a stream of the game being played on a remote console, and the console remotely receives inputs from your controller) then surely the input- and video lag would make a game like Bloodborne completely unplayable?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

do the weird swamp things talk as well or was i just imagining that

They totally do, but they're so mumbly (and reasonably dangerous) that I can't tell what they're saying.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I wouldn't mind the Souls formula to go on forever, with various finetuned mechanics like exact online matchmaking rules, combo mechanics, different ways of parying, rally system, spells vs. hunter tools, etc.

The only thing that I absolutely expect future games in this vein to do is to provide more QoL improvements, to refine wonky but basically fine concept from earlier iterations, and to pursue a general modernization of the formula. Stuff like more dynamic character interactions, actual mouth flaps, more complex tasks than "just" proceeding through a level, more complex enemy behaviour beyond patrols and enemy vs. enemy... I'd like the series to go wildly experimental, with a solid bedrock of tried-and-true mechanics from 5 games.

But more than anything, I want the series to push the boundaries. Technological limits should be outright obliterated. Have boss fights with hundreds of enemies, that dynamically combine and team up! Have enemies destroy and recreate terrain everywhere, literally raising dungeons around you, then smashing them! Let me use enemies as platforms! Let's have a gargantuan boss that doesn't just fight you at convenient waist height level OR slowly stomp on you, I want that giant to climb around on a multistage pyramid or something, with him constantly trying new angles to pound that scurrying little player bastard into paste, to the point that it reaches inside the pyramid's corridors to pull you out and poo poo. Obliterate the barrier between bosses and dungeons, so that the minotaur or whatever actually tries to hunt you down throughout a labyrinth, with it constantly adapting to new surroundings. Fight a beefed-up mimic in a mansion, only to discover that there's a horde of those drat things, and every second household object tries to murder you in ridiculous ways, until the house itself starts dripping digestive juices and chomping at you with doorways. Fight a D&D style beholder or Medusa, whose gaze actually petrifies, so the fight is a frantic stealth thing while the boss smashes everything in search of you, and you literally try to get the boss offscreen to stop dying - including fakeouts with mirrors, and a fun mechanic to voluntarily close your eyes and go blind to be safe from petrification. They've already got an adoring dumb fanbase, let's get crazy with concepts and technical marvels.

Point is, I never want to see a boring circular/rectangular arena again, and certainly never any armored humanoids that lazily doll out three swings while you circle-strafe-dodge everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

That sounds too good to be true, so I googled it... and I still can't understand how it works :confused:

If it's purely streamed (i.e. you watch a stream of the game being played on a remote console, and the console remotely receives inputs from your controller) then surely the input- and video lag would make a game like Bloodborne completely unplayable?
yeah I can't really understand it either lol. Apparently it works well for some people and badly for others, and I'm kinda concerned it'll be even worse with PS4, but there's a seven-day free trial so there's that at least