Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It's not crazy awesome everything else is just worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No, I think It's pretty awesome. It outperforms all powers and melee builds by a notable margin, and that's without the +sniper damage equipment coming down the pipe at some point. Like, most of the guns in the game are sorely under tuned, but if I were doing a full balance pass on all the weapons, I'd definitely knock the Vanq's DPS own a few notches.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Skippy McPants posted:

No, I think It's pretty awesome. It outperforms all powers and melee builds by a notable margin, and that's without the +sniper damage equipment coming down the pipe at some point. Like, most of the guns in the game are sorely under tuned, but if I were doing a full balance pass on all the weapons, I'd definitely knock the Vanq's DPS own a few notches.

Ehhh. I've used my black widow / isharay / valiant for variety's sake for a few gold matches and I've consistently outscored people using vanquishers. It's not that OP. That or just turbocharge soldier is OP.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anyone have any advice for crashing at the end of every wave?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Ehhh. I've used my black widow / isharay / valiant for variety's sake for a few gold matches and I've consistently outscored people using vanquishers. It's not that OP. That or just turbocharge soldier is OP.

I don't think out damaging pugs is a great metric for that, though. I've similarly fiddled with other rifles and easily out-done the pubbies using Vanqs, but I haven't consistently outdone myself when using a Vanq.

To be a little more precise, the Vanquisher is the most powerful sniper rifle, a category weapon that is generally made too good the game's over emphasis on weak point damage. So it's the double whammy of being best in a broken class that makes the gun OP.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

So is the Vanquisher just the best gun? Played a few matches and almost everyone was using it no matter the class. Gave it a try and while it is good, it wasn't crazy awesome or anything. But then I only ever play infiltrator.

Pretty much, it's got crazy good weak point multipliers, good damage, good ROF, and good clip size. I would argue that the Black Widow and Valiant are better, but they're also much harder to get and level up due to their rarity.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All I know is I'm having a lot of fun spraying my charger smg then punching something in the face, or putting down a barricade, draining some energy, then firing the cyclone. I started with like eight packs because I owned DA:I and ME3 though so it made life easier. :v:

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I know the biotic amp thing in the store is only +15% damage, but powers weren't that bad. Does this thing make a noticeable difference?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

All I know is I'm having a lot of fun spraying my charger smg then punching something in the face, or putting down a barricade, draining some energy, then firing the cyclone.

This is an important takeaway. The Vanquisher might be the goto weapon for optimizing your kit, but nothing in the co-op is hard enough to require that level of commitment. If you're a lunatic like me who can't feel joy unless their numbers are bigger than everyone else's, then go ahead and use it. But if you're a moderately sane person, then there are plenty of gold viable builds and loadouts, and you should play whatever you find fun.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 3, 2017

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Why do low level pubbies think it's okay to queue in silver and gold?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I can think of a few reasons, some more conditionals.
They don't know that the starting weapons are crap and think they can pull their weight with them in silver/gold.
They're looking for a carry.
They're trying to complete an apex mission and don't know that much about the different difficulties yet.
They're new to the game and just seeing what it's about. Like.. how much harder can silver/gold be than Bronze, really? a holy fuckton

Or
They have some OP guns and/or good guns and rank X character level and can carry their own weight despite being low level. I've done random gold queues before with level 1 characters and gotten into games that were already going and done well on the scoreboard because I took some OP weapons and boosters. heh.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

What have they got to lose? Worst that happens is that they get vote kicked, and who knows, maybe they'll get a lucky carry.

But even level 20 pubbies can't be trusted. There's a reason I save class leveling for goon games and pretty much only play my Avenger in pugs.

Ambaire posted:

Or
They have some OP guns and/or good guns and rank X character level and can carry their own weight despite being low level. I've done random gold queues before with level 1 characters and gotten into games that were already going and done well on the scoreboard because I took some OP weapons and boosters. heh.

Also, this. You might not be able to few class ranks, but if you peak at the team loadout screen and see that they've got Rank X guns then there's good odds they're not a 'real' level 1. Rank X classes get 25 skill points (Lv. 8 equivalent) at first level.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 3, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ambaire posted:

I can think of a few reasons, some more conditionals.
They don't know that the starting weapons are crap and think they can pull their weight with them in silver/gold.
They're looking for a carry.
They're trying to complete an apex mission and don't know that much about the different difficulties yet.
They're new to the game and just seeing what it's about. Like.. how much harder can silver/gold be than Bronze, really? a holy fuckton

Or

Yeah i did a gold easily with a level 1 rank X vanguard because lol. I imagine you can gold level 1 with anything if you have vanq X. Really, if the person's apex rating isn't terrible you can probably reasonably trust their judgment on what they can bring. Granted that number is going to be rising with every week that pubbies grind bronze.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

"I demand you carry me through this because Bronze rewards are too low!"

Basically

Edit: assuming their Apex rank is less than 500, anyway. If they are Apex 2000+ I actually check the equipment, and if they are packing decent weapons then I'm ok with it

NumptyScrub fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 3, 2017

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Has anyone else got any other piece of equipment besides jugg shield and thermal clip storage?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MarshyMcFly posted:

Has anyone else got any other piece of equipment besides jugg shield and thermal clip storage?

Nope. They rotate on a schedule.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

MarshyMcFly posted:

Yeah, this piece of trash that was in the store last night and I bought for the hell of it.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Lol if you still queue up for bronze after like level 5

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

It gets tiresome trying to solo above bronze because the other people you're with are so poo poo they die at the start of every wave and then you get sync killed.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 3, 2017

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Nope. They rotate on a schedule.

They rotate on a schedule? When do they rotate?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I've been doing bronze just to complete the bronze level challenges... soldier with revenant is hilarious carnage.

MarshyMcFly posted:

Apparently next thursday was supposed to be the first rotation. It seems a biotic amp slipped in early...

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

My guess is that one new equipment piece will rotate in each week and pieces will be available for two weeks (so there will be two available at any given time). They threw in the biotic amp last week to get the staggered cycle going, since they kicked off with two pieces. But I could be wrong! We won't know until Thursday.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 3, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MarshyMcFly posted:

It's one uncommon and one rare at a time. I think, but am not certain, that it's 2 weeks for the uncommon and 3 for the rare.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maybe they're good at the game? You can do well in gold at any level, doubly so for silver.

E: and you can do bad at any level

precision fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 3, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gave the freeloaders a chance when they tried to join us for a gold kett apex mission. Turns out that yes, they really were just freeloaders and it was a waste of our time and boosters. Bootcha and I had over twice their score and they refused to use their consumables. We won as soon as a third player on discord joined and our fourth was a random who was actually level 20. I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt but right now it's usually a waste of your time to do so for the hardest content. Unlike vermintide, gear/stats define way more of what you can do than skill.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Judging by how much more damage I'm taking on bronze than in ME3 I'm not going to attempt Gold til level 15 on a char or so and level 10 for Silver. I can probably get away with it before then but I figure it'd be less annoying for everyone involved.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 3, 2017

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Digirat posted:

Gave the freeloaders a chance when they tried to join us for a gold kett apex mission. Turns out that yes, they really were just freeloaders and it was a waste of our time and boosters. Bootcha and I had over twice their score and they refused to use their consumables. We won as soon as a third player on discord joined and our fourth was a random who was actually level 20. I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt but right now it's usually a waste of your time to do so for the hardest content. Unlike vermintide, gear/stats define way more of what you can do than skill.

I played that same apex mission against the Kett with all pubbies and lost on round 4 because....Kett. It was fun for a little bit with 8 times the ammo capacity and power cells on the human soldier with two power cell abilities. Had 10 frags and 11 concussive shots!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you've unboxed all of the cards for a character you can have a lot of skill points put into it and still be level 1, which can skew things a bit.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Welp. Some redditor discovered that you can do a melee while holding pull and it'll shove whatever you're holding in the direction you're looking. Did anyone else here know that? The adept / gladiator just got a bit more useful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Judging by how much more damage I'm taking on bronze than in ME3 I'm not going to attempt Gold til level 15 on a char or so and level 10 for Silver. I can probably get away with it before then but I figure it'd be less annoying for everyone involved.

This is probably for the best when you're starting out and using commons, but I've found that you take a lot less damage on gold relative to ME3 and can survive much more easily, because you can get around much faster. In ME3 most classes felt like they got shredded down to the health gate if they were exposed to one enemy for half a second on gold. Here it feels like there's much more warning before you're dead.

It also seems like more classes have useful survivability stuff on average. Many soldiers get fortify and sentinels get damage reduction as a passive--no need to hit your cooldowns with a toggle skill anymore. Vanguards and infiltrators of course still have charge and cloak to stay alive/escape, so it's only the adepts and engineers who really suffer.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just a friendly reminder that there's a pretty good phone app for this game and you can run strike missions all day while you're at work and make space bux to buy equipment/new strike teams.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I would definitely agree that it's easier to stay alive on Silver/Gold than it was in ME3MP (gotta save something for Platinum!)

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Yeah, I use that pretty extensively with my human adept. It's actually just a biotic punch you're doing (it'll kill them if they're weak enough), but transfers force too. Usually rip dudes and dags off their feet, biopunchslam them into a nearby wall, and then dump disciple rounds into them to finish them off. Pretty effective. I *think* that some sort of force upgrade I did made me able to punch them a lot further than I could at first, but I don't remember exactly since I play a bunch of different classes. Maybe the rank 6 Biotic Expert under Offensive Biotics (or maybe just the rank 3 20% force bonus, I dunno)? Looking at the spec again, it's possible that Biotic Warrior, adding 15% melee force, might be good for that but I am not specced into it, so it's not what I'm thinking of. In any case, if your punchthrow is always a dud, maybe one of those will give it some kick, so to speak.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well now I'm making a Skorpion colored Adept :getoverhere:

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

So the Asari Duelist is kind of broken, not in a good way.

The blink dash is pretty cool and handy but uh getting stuck is lame.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

RBA Starblade posted:

All I know is I'm having a lot of fun spraying my charger smg then punching something in the face, or putting down a barricade, draining some energy, then firing the cyclone. I started with like eight packs because I owned DA:I and ME3 though so it made life easier. :v:
I've got a soldier just so I can do Rambo impressions on Bronze and spray down half a wave without lifting off the trigger after lobbing grenades. So drat satisfying during Hack objectives or Extractions to stand up and lay waste to loving everything. :unsmigghh:

Also, nice to see some people have brains. One of the Apex missions was -50% weapon damage, and 200% damage to weak points. Four Vanguards don't need those pesky weapon things. So fun watching Remnant getting knocked up, then smashed in midair by another Charge from offscreen. :lol:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Infiltrators and Widows are sick(er), hell yeah.

Hell no though it forgot to give me my money after I won. And my brother still can't not crash. And people drop every game. :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you got to the scoreboard at the end then you got your money, it just sometimes doesn't update until you go to the store for whatever reason.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Its a shame vanguards are hot garbage on gold, they were so much fun in ME3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

Its a shame vanguards are hot garbage on gold, they were so much fun in ME3

Not sure which game you have been playing, but for the rest of us Vanguards are pretty much the best class there is.

• Locked thread