Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

rudatron posted:

I'm okay with granting certain elements of contemporary religion as part of a kind of mythic language, but the vast majority of religious believers do not treat it that way, and ingrained in every religion is both a set of statements about the world (metaphysical claims) and moral arguments, and the two are often mixed together in a confusing way.

The purpose of a language is to not just express things, but express things clearly and concisely, and religious-mythos-as-a-language fails on that last test.

The purpose of language is to express truth. If the truth as it is in the world is neither clear nor concise, that's tough for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

CountFosco posted:

The purpose of language is to express truth. If the truth as it is in the world is neither clear nor concise, that's tough for us.

Funny when this statement is demonstrably false, we use language to convey things that aren't true all the time after all.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Funny when this statement is demonstrably false, we use language to convey things that aren't true all the time after all.

Sure, but that's not language's purpose. I mean, if you're a materialist, language has no "purpose" other than whatever purpose we give it, or just no intrinsic purpose at all. Just because something doesn't act according to its purpose doesn't mean it doesn't have a purpose.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

CountFosco posted:

If Lot was the one good enough to be allowed to escape, imagine how bad the rest were.

Again, I think this represents a failure of imagination on your part.

No infant has ever done anything deserving of death

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

CountFosco posted:

Being able to abstract things to the point of lying is a core universal of language on the linguistic level.

quote:

I mean, if you're a materialist, language has no "purpose" other than whatever purpose we give it, or just no intrinsic purpose at all.

This is mostly untrue of what the most materialist of linguists would say, the problem is that your idea of what its purpose is is beyond idealistic. Language communicates things, the truth is only tangentially one of these things.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 3, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Piell posted:

Sure they have, they were born to evil parents and thus were irredeemable. Punishing children for the sins of their parents is the height of morality and justice! :pseudo:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CountFosco posted:

If Lot was the one good enough to be allowed to escape, imagine how bad the rest were.

We're still talking about the religion where the God in question straight up tells you that he's responsible for both "Good" and "Evil" (Isaiah 45:7), right?

The one where Jesus also tells people gathered around him multiple times that unless you're going to turn away from/against every person you love, you are no follower of his teachings (in hilarious contradiction to his other statements about caring for and serving each other)?

The one with eternal damnation in pits of fire with maggots burrowing through your flesh forever; perpetually in a state of dying but without any release from torment?

The one that claims God loves humanity so much he substituted his own son as a blood sacrifice to pay for the "sins" of humanity, while completely ignoring how hosed up that sequence of events is?

If the God of the Bible is portrayed accurately, he doesn't love humanity. Humanity is the battered daughter to God's narcassistic abusive/incestuous father power fantasy. That God deserves no love or loyalty or worship, and the Lucifer character was right to defy him.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

CountFosco posted:

Quantum mechanics is not simple, yet the language of QM is actually very clear and concise. There are no double meanings. Obsfucation in the language acts as a barrier to understanding, and only serves to make the complex truths harder to reach or verify.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BrandorKP posted:

Would each of you say that as a category religion was universally harmful?
No, far from it - religious thought is a precursor to rational thought.

The imagination of human beings is something that should be expanded and encouraged, and the intersection of imagination and ignorance is mysticism.

The religious history of humanity is therefore proof of its sapience, that is has a mind worth something more than a pocket calculator.

It's just that religion has outlived its usefulness.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

rudatron posted:

It's just that religion has outlived its usefulness.

This is the crux of the matter.

If the only reason (as I've had Christians argue with a straight face) that you aren't going about murdering, raping and otherwise being an absolute monster to every person you meet is because you believe God will punish you for doing so, you are already an absolutely monstrous being and need psychological help before you snap.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

RasperFat posted:

I think you've completely missed the point. As Newton said "I stand on the shoulders of giants". The ancient scholars were brilliant minds that greatly contributed to the advancement of society.

However, they lived before we had discovered too many fundamental truths in our natural world. The entire fields of chemistry, geology, physics, microbiology, and numerous others hadn't even been started or were so rudimentary by modern standards that it's practically useless.

Plato even explored this phenomenon with the allegory of the cave, where people's knowledge of existence came the shadows cast from an outside source. A world shifting paradigm occurs when one is able to see outside the cave and the sources of the shadows. Science has undergone so many paradigm shifts from the ancient world that almost none the ancient scholars work is considered outside of history, literature, and philosophy.

In short, the total amount of factual knowledge 1000+ years ago is easily less than 5% of what we know today, being generous. In that context it doesn't matter how intelligent you are because the entire cognitive framework for processing how the universe functions was missing the vast majority of its foundational building blocks.

Does an average middle schooler have anywhere near the intellectual aptitude of classic philosophers and scientists? Of course not. But that middle schooler knows a poo poo load more about the natural world than anyone born more than a few hundred years ago.

Oh now its the argument that we've jsut been in a constant advancement of knowledg.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

This is the crux of the matter.

If the only reason (as I've had Christians argue with a straight face) that you aren't going about murdering, raping and otherwise being an absolute monster to every person you meet is because you believe God will punish you for doing so, you are already an absolutely monstrous being and need psychological help before you snap.

Oh Lol. NOw we are at the point where all religious people are secretly psychopaths. Love these threads. It is a giant circlejerk of atheists saying "I'm superior" "DOn't you know the Greeks, were not religious, oh and so were the scholars of Islam?" "Also you're a loony if you say religion has inspired you to take part in helping people". I really think these threads exist as a kind of group therapy session for you guys.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 3, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Crowsbeak are you drunk or just blind with righteous indignation?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh Lol. NOw we are at the point where all religious people are secretly pshychopaths. Love these threads. ITs a giant circlejerk of athiests saying "I'm superior" "DOn't you know the Greeks, were not religious, oh and so were the scholars of Islam?" "Also you're a loony if you say religion has inspired you to take part in helping people". I really think these threads exist as a kind of group threapy session for you guys.

What do you mean "now"? Who said that religious people are secretly psychopaths?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Crowsbeak are you drunk or just blind with righteous indignation?

More on too many cans of loving Energy Drinks. Also its funny you accuse anyone of righteous indignation. Considering your posting tends to be virtuesignaling.txt.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

virtuesignaling.txt.

:lol:

Oh no, I act like a good person, how awful of me!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Oh no, I act like a good person, how awful of me!

You shouldn't act like one. you should be one.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

Good job arguing against the premise of every single religion in The West ("You aren't a good person & never will be, beg this deity for help. Also, gently caress over everyone that doesn't also follow this deity at every chance you get.").

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 3, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Already am. Give it a try yourself sometime.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Already am. Give it a try yourself sometime.

I am going to give you a life lesson. Being a self righteous rear end in a top hat doesn't make you a good person.. I know you're not going to learn it. ANd are then going to say the lie that the way you act on a dead gay comedy forum is in no way the way you act in real life. But I said it.

Good job arguing against the premise of every single religion in The West ("You aren't a good person & never will be, beg this deity for help. Also, gently caress over everyone that doesn't also follow this deity at every chance you get.").

I'm just arguing he's a dick. As are you. I mean that's why you guys post in these threads You need justification for your own attempts to feel superior to others who do not believe as you do. You need to know that your belief on the meaning of life makes you better than others.

magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016

What do you mean "now"? Who said that religious people are secretly psychopaths?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

I'm just arguing he's a dick. As are you. I mean that's why you guys post in these threads You need justification for your own attempts to feel superior to others who do not believe as you do. You need to know that your belief on the meaning of life makes you better than others.

So why exactly are you here?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

So why exactly are you here?
Originally to laugh at the circle jerk of atheists pretending they're atheism makes them superior. But I started to post once people started to deliberately distort history. I can deal with the smug athiesm, but once people start distorting history I get suckered in. Helps I am getting my minor in history.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

Originally to laugh at the circle jerk of atheists pretending they're atheism makes them superior. But I started to post once people started to deliberately distort history. I can deal with the smug athiesm, but once people start distorting history I get suckered in. Helps I am getting my minor in history.

You might want to actually read the thread, then, because the only distortions of history in this thread so far are the religious people claiming any societal advancements occurred due to some religion's influence rather than in spite of it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Id ask the university for your money back, then.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Crowsbeak posted:

I also have a degree in history and your understanding of history sucks, you constantly and seemingly deliberately misrepresent people's arguments and avoid engaging saliant points that are raised.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

You might want to actually read the thread, then, because the only distortions of history in this thread so far are the religious people claiming any societal advancements occurred due to some religion's influence rather than in spite of it.

1. THey did. LOok I know you want to think that religon has never offered anything to the world but what do you know it inspired people to do alot of great things.
2. Yeah there's been alot of bullshit in this thread about ancient cultures being atheistic. Asian cultures being atheistic, the enlightenment being full of pure hearts, oh and Secular Rulers in the 20th century never having taken extreme or utterly heartless actions.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

1. THey did. LOok I know you want to think that religon has never offered anything to the world but what do you know it inspired people to do alot of great things.
2. Yeah there's been alot of bullshit in this thread about ancient cultures being atheistic. Asian cultures being atheistic, the enlightenment being full of pure hearts, oh and Secular Rulers in the 20th century never having taken extreme or utterly heartless actions.

Surely you could provide some direct quotes of people actually saying that, right? Because I've looked over the last few pages and can't find anyone saying anything close to anything like that. Or do they not teach you how to quote people in clown college?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

CountFosco posted:

I think it's more plausible that I simply don't agree with God's morality. It's not that strange - I am after all not a Christian.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

khwarezm posted:

I also have a degree in history and your understanding of history sucks, you constantly and seemingly deliberately misrepresent people's arguments and avoid engaging saliant points that are raised.

Hey nothings stopping people from making arguments about the dark ages existing and saying it held the whole world back. (It only held Western Europe back and it happened due to a breakdown in central government). Also you don't seem to be using that degreee very well if you ignore that the Turkish Government through the 80s was extremley secular and was very repressive to religious types. I mean I'm fine if you just came out and said you think that is a good thing. Also

Who What Now posted:

Surely you could provide some direct quotes of people actually saying that, right? Because I've looked over the last few pages and can't find anyone saying anything close to anything like that. Or do they not teach you how to quote people in clown college?

RasperFat posted:

No one is pretending that there haven't been secular dictators and oppression. The issue is that secular leaders and governments are far less likely to be oppressive than religious ones.

Oh also Raspar Fat was praising the Mongols, who of course didn't cause millions to die in their secular attempt at world conquest or anything. BTW I don't take assholes who pretend to be good people seriously so I don't oput effort into this. Because I know that you won't stop being assholes. This thread exists so you can justify being assholes.

Hey because it sometimes did. Sorry you can't deal with that fact.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 3, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh Lol. NOw we are at the point where all religious people are secretly psychopaths. Love these threads. It is a giant circlejerk of atheists saying "I'm superior" "DOn't you know the Greeks, were not religious, oh and so were the scholars of Islam?" "Also you're a loony if you say religion has inspired you to take part in helping people". I really think these threads exist as a kind of group therapy session for you guys.

The entire argument of religion that if you're good, you go to heaven and if you're bad you go to hell assumes a massive sociopathic tendency in humans.

Insert different reward/punishment for whichever flavor you prefer- it's all very similar.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

The entire argument of religion that if you're good, you go to heaven and if you're bad you go to hell assumes a massive sociopathic tendency in humans.

Insert different reward/punishment for whichever flavor you prefer- it's all very similar.

You guys do realize that actually the argument you're making is suggesting that most of humanity is sociopathic right?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Crowsbeak posted:

You guys do realize that actually the argument you're making is suggesting that most of humanity is sociopathic right?

No, that doesn't follow from what they said. Just because humanity has instituted an incentive system that assumes they'll act a certain way without it doesn't mean they actually will act that way without it.

e: Although I think characterizing religions that way is a gross oversimplification of the question of justification by faith vs. works within Christianity alone, nevermind other religions.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, that doesn't follow from what they said. Just because humanity has instituted an incentive system that assumes they'll act a certain way without it doesn't mean they actually will act that way without it.

e: Although I think characterizing religions that way is a gross oversimplification of the question of justification by faith vs. works within Christianity alone, nevermind other religions.

The problem with the Christianity side of things is the assumption that humanity needs to "justify" anything to any creator deity.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 3, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh also Raspar Fat was praising the Mongols, who of course didn't cause millions to die in their secular attempt at world conquest or anything.

The Mongols weren't secular. I'm beginning to think you're lying about getting that minor in history unless its from some creationist college.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
nobody tell crowsbeak that a hefty proportion of the mongol warriors who followed temujin genghis khan during his lifetime were baptized nestorian christians

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

zeal posted:

nobody tell crowsbeak that a hefty proportion of the mongol warriors who followed temujin genghis khan during his lifetime were baptized nestorian christians

You'd think someone with a minor in history would already know that if their degree program was worth referencing as a source of authority on a subject. :ssh:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

You'd think someone with a minor in history would already know that if their degree program was worth referencing as a source of authority on a subject. :ssh:

the hardcore history series on the mongol empire(s) is probably a better source

at least dan carlin bothered to read Mongol Queens and the Secret History

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Piell posted:

If that's true then, strictly, they went to heaven, so it's probably fine.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

If that's true then, strictly, they went to heaven, so it's probably fine.

Unbaptized babies go straight to hell, I'm afraid. Especially ones born before baptism was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hey i was not the one praising them for not having a state Religion.

• Locked thread