Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Elsa at the very bottom. Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's wrong with Gladio

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I like Gladio but I like Iggy more

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
He's incredibly boring and tonally inconsistent?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Help Im Alive posted:

What's wrong with Gladio

He's a dumb jerk who sold out to Cup Noodle.

Gladio is kind of like where Square shoved all their worst parts of this game. Yet he's gonna get the Greg DLC...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

victrix posted:

Ffbe is the farthest possible thing from "good gacha", but I'll say ffrk is great fun after a boring start, and is remarkably generous with free poo poo. If you like the 8 bit style, it's a fun nostalgia ride with very fun boss fights and "end game" events.

I don't think there is such a thing as 'good gacha' ever, really, but I like that Bexvius lets you overcome bad luck. In Record Keeper I was screwed out of ever having a good black mage because the gacha never gave me a not-poo poo relic for one, and there was no way around that. I did have some pretty good soul breaks for support characters (Vaan's BSB and a multi-target Full Break on Faris), but because Ramza and Shout existed that didn't matter.

Bexvius may have only ever given me a single 5-star unit, but at least I can do something with the 3 and 4-stars it's given me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Aranea should have been higher on that list, and I'm not even kidding around like usual.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody else hyped up about the FF12 remake dropping this summer? I'm interested to see how the International job system works out with the license board. Kind of felt like it had the weakest Sakimoto soundtrack though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

i'm the only one, unfortunately

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Anybody else hyped up about the FF12 remake dropping this summer? I'm interested to see how the International job system works out with the license board. Kind of felt like it had the weakest Sakimoto soundtrack though.

No, I already played the Zodiac Job System and its too expensive. poo poo costs 49 Euro.

I guess it's great if you feel Nostalgia for FFXII and never played the Zodiac thing.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm the idiot who has more money than sense and pre ordered the collectors edition.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've never played XII, and if I'm not sick of final fantasy by the time I finish X and X-2 remaster, I'll probably consider it. Unless its like a tire fire or something, I don't really know too much.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I've never played XII, and if I'm not sick of final fantasy by the time I finish X and X-2 remaster, I'll probably consider it. Unless its like a tire fire or something, I don't really know too much.

Its the version they should've released in the first place. The job system is very much not balanced, in fact in makes certain characters more pigeonholed due to their animation speed and endgame stats, but it gives characters identities in combat and the speedup trigger makes it bearable.

There is more gambits and slots from pretty much Rabanastre on.
It doesn't fix the story, the stupid characters or the passivity of the combat or the balancing. It just shifts it around

Its not worth the price . I guess HD textures are nice, if you never played IZJS on an emulator or care.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 3, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

As far as overall FF canon, it's average to above average given the taste of the individual. The combat system feels kind of like an open world MMO in places and you can automate a lot of actions to the point where the game "plays itself" if that's your pleasure.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the story and characters are good actually

combat's fine too

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it's a full price release because the surgery to suck Vaan's abs out from inside his body was ridiculously expensive. you have to train artists to reach into the negative zone and reverse it, you don't find those kinds of skills just on the market.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Arist posted:

the story and characters are good actually

combat's fine too

No. I will fight you on this hill and die on it.
gently caress the stupid animation system that makes Balthier suck with guns and Fran suck with bows. gently caress Ashe being the prime Samurai due to animation and stats.

gently caress Vaan and Penelo and gently caress Basch fon Ronsenberg of Dalmasca and the stupid plot.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 3, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

gently caress the stupid animation system that makes Balthier suck with guns and Fran suck with bows. gently caress Ashe being the prime Samurai due to animation and stats.

gently caress Vaan and Penelope and gently caress Bach fon Ronsenberg of Dalmasca and the stupid plot.

lol who cares

e: also $50 is not full price

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

What's wrong with Gladio

Gladio's big problem is that he's supposed to be Noct's closest friend who is also the one who can call Noct out on his poo poo except

A) They don't really do enough with the 'closest friend' bit and if you asked a lot of people they'd probably say it's Prompto
B) He calls Noct out 'on his poo poo' at the worst possible times and with little to no justification. He's supposed to be pushing Noct at his worst moments but the game either fails to show them or just doesn't have them and so it comes across like Gladio is just being a shithead.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Arist posted:

lol who cares

Great loving argument right there buddy

50 Euro is a travesty for this poo poo. If they'd FIXED the supposed Fixed IZJS in this HD remaster, we could've talked.

How can you do 3 versions of one game but still make it flawed and bad?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They could add one line about how gladio was also grieving with his fathers death as well but ship it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
*everyone Noct has ever known is killed*

Gladio: You piece of poo poo. Did you even stop to consider that Prompto has a hangnail? Other people have it worse than you, you loving crybaby.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

50 Euro is a travesty for this poo poo. If they'd FIXED the supposed Fixed IZJS in this HD remaster, we could've talked.

are you for real dude

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Arist posted:

are you for real dude

Yes. Yes I am. The game barely works in its own loving System in its third iteration.

You know what, gently caress you low content no argument bullshit. Spend your retarded goon dollars on this trash

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I never had a problem with the story or characters of ff12, but the combat was pretty boring. I know they fixed the audio for the remaster, but have they said anything about combat changes?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Because one is a silly minigame that is goofy but not necessarily a flaw, one is a DPS difference of almost unnoticeable numbers, and one would require a full remake of the game?

Linnaeus posted:

I never had a problem with the story or characters of ff12, but the combat was pretty boring. I know they fixed the audio for the remaster, but have they said anything about combat changes?

Just that you can speed it up even more.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You know what, gently caress you low content no argument bullshit.

:ironicat:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Gladio's big problem is that he's supposed to be Noct's closest friend

Wait, seriously? I didn't watch much of Brotherhood or whatever, but I didn't get that impression at all based on the game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I liked FF12 when it came out and the dumb characters and dumb story were much more interesting than the series' previous instalment

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

gently caress Vaan and Penelo and gently caress Basch fon Ronsenberg of Dalmasca and the stupid plot.

I don't particularly care for XII's plot but aren't the differences between characters like literal fractions of a second on their animations cause that doesn't really seem especially important outside of speedrubs

e: speedrun is the word I wanted but speedrub is a hell of a typo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yes. Yes I am. The game barely works in its own loving System in its third iteration.

You know what, gently caress you low content no argument bullshit. Spend your retarded goon dollars on this trash

Calm down.

Seriously, the animation thing is such a minor concern.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Wait, seriously? I didn't watch much of Brotherhood or whatever, but I didn't get that impression at all based on the game.

Yeha, Gladio is supposed to be Noct's best friend out of all his friends. They've been together for most of their life and while they have a retainer/king thing going on they're also lifelong pals, compared to Ignis is who is way more retainer-y and Prompto who knew Noct as a kid but took forever (and a slimming down) to get the courage to be his friend. It's why him leaving is supposed to feel more significant and why you get them buddying up in the power plant and stuff. "

As I said the game fails at making it come through so rather than it feeling like Gladio is Noctis' Best Pal you'd probably think Prompto is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean they built an entire mechanic to make prompto likable maybe things changed

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Jesus Christ

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arist posted:

I like FFXII but $50 is so close to full price that it's not worth splitting hairs over in my onion.

As for Gladio, I think it's meant to be a thing for him that he's not too good at being soft so he doesn't know how to, which makes him come across as a dick 9/10 times. Like most things with FFXV, it's just got poo poo delivery for most of its beats. If he'd been a bit harder on Noctis through out the story when he slipped up and also more friendly consistently to show he's not all hard and he's just doing his role interms of being his shield, it'd work. As it is, it's kind of.

N:"yo lets go see the big guy. oh no we're separated, gladio iggy and prompto can't get here"
G: "cool"
N: "carrying on through here lalala"
G: "NOCT GET A loving GRIP YOU DICK HOW CAN YOU BE KING?"
N:"yeah ok Gladio ur rite"
G: "imma pro motivator"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I mean they built an entire mechanic to make prompto likable maybe things changed

Ironically I think this is part of Gladio's problem.

Prompto and Ignis have special mechanics that endear them to the player. Prompto takes photographs and Ignis cooks you meals. (And has a new RECIPEEEAH though that was unintentional memage.) Gladio... gives you poo poo he found on the ground sometimes? The final meal and the final photograph play heavily into the game's ending and tone while Gladio is, uh, there?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Nice meltdown

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Ironically I think this is part of Gladio's problem.

Prompto and Ignis have special mechanics that endear them to the player. Prompto takes photographs and Ignis cooks you meals. (And has a new RECIPEEEAH though that was unintentional memage.) Gladio... gives you poo poo he found on the ground sometimes?

The reason Gladio doesn't have a thing, though I think you're dead on the money here, is because Prompto is unofficial player avatar idiot who doesn't know basic facts so he doesn't contribute to the story much and Ignis basically isn't relevant until after Altissia where Gladio is always more plot relevant than either.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheWorstAtWords posted:

I don't particularly care for XII's plot but aren't the differences between characters like literal fractions of a second on their animations cause that doesn't really seem especially important outside of speedrubs

e: speedrun is the word I wanted but speedrub is a hell of a typo

some people really like playing it like it's an MMORPG

also :lol: at someone melting down over an FF game with a "broken" combat mechanics system, it worked just fine the first time around

my brother have you tried Final Fantasy VIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The reason Gladio doesn't have a thing, though I think you're dead on the money here, is because Prompto is unofficial player avatar idiot who doesn't know basic facts so he doesn't contribute to the story much and Ignis basically isn't relevant until after Altissia where Gladio is always more plot relevant than either.

Even so I don't think that would prevent him from having a thing. Noct after all is the most plotty of the plot but they still gave him a fishing mechanic that is exclusively his.

I get the feeling maybe at some point sparring with Gladio was supposed to be his thing but he brings the others in pretty quick and it is a separate mechanic from the fishing/cooking/survival/photography thing so I doubt many people associate with Gladio if they even remember it exists. Survival absolutely feels way more low-effort than the others which makes me think it's a patch for a lost/unfinished mechanic.