Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The boche were probably in the same position as us. Leftover indirect arty missions directed to hit likely positions.

They did a pretty good number on My Dad's brigade, but not much anywhere else.

I'm expecting that if the boche attack, they will attack through Effyaders. It's the one spot where their bombardment was most effective, and the last sighted position of the bulk of their infantry.

While we shelled the poo poo out of effyaders last night, the Germans are probably stronger in Effyaders than anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
That was fairly uneventful. The only thought I have is that the 23rd and 24th should shuffle upwards to better cover the northern third of the western side of the forest.

And my div command chit is still MIA, if I'm lost I'm really lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Em5nitNX0&t=8s

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

The more I look at it, the more pleased I am. Theyve really started to narrow their range of options. They thought we wouldnt see them in the forest, but now they are trapped in the woods and surrounded. The longer they stay, the more forces they are going to lose - we are just going to bombard the entire forest the rest of the week. Meanwhile, if they try to move up arty to support, we knock them out. What are their options? Moving west or south both lead to layers of our trenches.

We're not done yet, but I expect the Boche are going to start feeling a siege mentality soon.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Trin you have forget to place the two pieces of wire that basically connect the two trenches I have created.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Loel posted:

The more I look at it, the more pleased I am. Theyve really started to narrow their range of options. They thought we wouldnt see them in the forest, but now they are trapped in the woods and surrounded. The longer they stay, the more forces they are going to lose - we are just going to bombard the entire forest the rest of the week. Meanwhile, if they try to move up arty to support, we knock them out. What are their options? Moving west or south both lead to layers of our trenches.

We're not done yet, but I expect the Boche are going to start feeling a siege mentality soon.

I don't see why you think this way? We have no information on what the boche formations are like inside the forest. We probably inflicted casualties on the one brigade we targeted, but the rest of our shots were were just random.

We have a weakened, stretched-out infantry brigade defending the entire western edge of Effyaders woods. Don't you see that if the Germans make a concerted attack, they will assuredly break through?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't see why you think this way? We have no information on what the boche formations are like inside the forest. We probably inflicted casualties on the one brigade we targeted, but the rest of our shots were were just random.

We have a weakened, stretched-out infantry brigade defending the entire western edge of Effyaders woods. Don't you see that if the Germans make a concerted attack, they will assuredly break through?

Depends on how much damage are arty did. Therefore ...

Proposed plane location, next turn.

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 4, 2017

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Loel posted:

Trin - can planes spot units within woods?

Also, just as a sanity check for how we're doing, let's take a look at the original orders (ascending order of importance):

1). As a general principle, you must at all times defend as far forward as possible. There will come a time in this war when we will be on the offensive. When that time comes, every yard of ground that we do not have to recapture from the enemy will be of vital importance in conserving the lives of our men and the expenditure of our munitions.
-----SUCCESS, I doubt anyone can debate that we've taken every opportunity to keep the Germans as far east as possible

2). If at all possible, you must attempt to prevent the enemy from crossing the river and operating west of La Dand.
-----FAILURE, we would have needed some pretty amazing luck to push them back to the river on Day 1

3). You should, at the very least, force the enemy to fight if he is to occupy the Chemin Creux and Stethoscope. If we can dig in along the sunken road, we will have an exceptionally strong defensive position that will take significant effort to crack.
-----FAILURE, though not for lack of trying

4). You must make every opportunity to prevent the enemy from establishing a presence west of the fords at the halfway point of the map and threatening the Bois de Blob and the Foret d'Effyaders.
-----PARTIAL, we've lost control of the northern fords and most of Effyaders, but the enemy is currently contained in the north and Bois de Blob is firmly in our hands

5). You must prevent the enemy from entering Saucisson Vallee and Trois Freres.
-----SUCCESS, for the moment. Trois Freres is probably more at risk than Saucisson.

6). Under no circumstances shall the enemy be allowed to cross the canal before Effyaders.
-----SUCCESS

7). You shall fight until the last man is dead and the last round of ammunition is expended in the defence of Effyaders. The King intends to visit the front next month. Succeed in your defence, and you will be presented to His Majesty as a hero of the Empire, on par with Baden-Powell. Fail, and the King will be unable to visit, because there will be no front for His Majesty to visit.
-----Well on our way there! :gibs:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I think if we destroy the bulk of their forces in the Cauldron, we can advance uncontested :D

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Eighth Division Artillery Order

Conduct the following fire mission for two turns:

Where blue aura represents 60-pounder cannons, yellow represents 18-pounder and orange represents guns from Lenoon's artillery brigade.

Turn 3: Limber
Turn 4: Move Back to the trenches that have just been dug behind us in the pattern shown below.
Turn 5: Continue moving/begin unlimbering as soon as possible.
Turn 6: Continue moving/begin unlimbering as soon as possible.
Turn 6+: All guns go on overwatch/start supporting the brigades to the east of me.

This position is ideal. They can't counter-battery me because it would require setting up their guns in Effyaders, which they can't shoot out of. They have to exit the woods to attack me. I'm in a trench with a bit of wire already. Let them try to cross the open ground in front of me if they dare.

pre:
Standing Orders

Override Ordered Fire to support friendly brigades?
Yes

Minimum number of fire missions remaining to use Supporting Fire

Break off automatically when enemy companies are Spotted within
Stay Where You Are
Fight Where You Are
Die Where You Are

When multiple requests for support are received, favour requests from
Nearest brigade

When two brigades issue requests for support
Support one brigade with all guns

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 4, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Do we want the 23rd and 24th to do anything beyond shuffling north to close the gaps caused by casualties?

E: Current thoughts for this turn:

Shuffle up the 23rd and 24th, Get 25th to split their forces so half their men are covering the southern fords, and move the 20th back to Bois de Blob, next to the 7th Div artillery. Theorycrafting is continuing for artillery but so far, 7thD artillery counterfires with those out of range adding fire to the cauldron, 8thD moves back into defensive trenches then focuses on support/fire in the cauldron.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 3, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

:siren: Trin, 7th Division :siren:

Tehan will be posting orders on my behalf for this coming update.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Infantry engineers, go fortify the NW artillery trench with barbed wire, keep it ~2 inches in front of it.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ooooo lovely, time for some counter battery fire.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

lenoon posted:

Ooooo lovely, time for some counter battery fire.

Yup. Curly did the math, 5 of your chits can hit the howitzers. And there's no howitzer that's completely safe from you. :D

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Excellent. Orders incoming.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

lenoon posted:

Excellent. Orders incoming.

Take into account that you're in range of A LOT of artillery, and may need to move out before your turn is over. Consider going somewhere you can easily support both the brigades on our southern flank. You can ask a cav engineer to dig your guys a trench at a convenient location, too.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

I don't think it's a good idea to get info on something we're going to find out soon one way or the other. Either scout the southeast, to see if we can push the brigade in the trench up to La Dand, or the area around Ferme Inutille, to know what we might expect them to have left. I favor the center left edge of Ferme Inutille, gets it lets us see both the north half of Chemin Creux road, and a peek into the woods.

As for the timing, well, the more we wait, the better the info, but the worse the weather.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Question for the thread:

Should we sent this to the enemy team?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6XicBBN1l4

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I say go for it and watch them panic.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

Trin you have forget to place the two pieces of wire that basically connect the two trenches I have created.

The where now?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There should be two pieces of wire set up between the trench across from Effyaders de Foret and the trench in the Vallee.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Hallllright men, hovernight we are finking that we've fahnd the Owitzers, so I want two turns of hustained firah on the ford in this fire pattern:

Then one turn in this pattern:

Where 60-pounders are blue, 18 pounders are yellow and my guns are orange.

Other 5 guns to continue to indirect fire against the ford as shown above - they should be the four dots to the east of the ford and the one on the ford.

Conditional orders:

After the above fire pattern, switch to supporting fire of any brigade to the north or east. If there's anything we can see that can be shot, shoot it. Priority support to the northern division and artillery.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 4, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Right now I have two engineers who are free to build stuff so does anyone have a request?
(One mounted engineer is building trenches, the old infantry engineer is blowing up the bridge and one of the new engineers will be setting up more wire)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

I don't think it's a good idea to get info on something we're going to find out soon one way or the other. Either scout the southeast, to see if we can push the brigade in the trench up to La Dand, or the area around Ferme Inutille, to know what we might expect them to have left. I favor the center left edge of Ferme Inutille, gets it lets us see both the north half of Chemin Creux road, and a peek into the woods.

As for the timing, well, the more we wait, the better the info, but the worse the weather.

I agree, they should be getting a fresh division, we should try and watch the roads to see where they're headed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lenoon, I like you, you did some good things, but for gently caress's sake, learn how artillery works :argh:

(and consider using roll20 to make precise orders for where to move)

my dad fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 3, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hunt11 posted:

Right now I have two engineers who are free to build stuff so does anyone have a request?
(One mounted engineer is building trenches, the old infantry engineer is blowing up the bridge and one of the new engineers will be setting up more wire)

Be on standby to see where lenoon's artillery will end up, send some engineers to dig trenches for them there ASAP. (Emphasis on standby. Don't rush. It's your engineers who should be rushing)

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

my dad posted:

Lenoon, I like you, you did some good things, but for gently caress's sake, learn how artillery works :argh:

(and consider using roll20 to make precise orders for where to move)

What am I not getting? I want three turns to hit the artillery and surrounds and then get the hell out of dodge. If the sausage trench is unoccupied, that's great, if not, the forest gives us some protection and can project north and south from there. I know it takes turns to limber up and move, and I know my range, spotting rules and indirect fire.

Unfortunately the pressing demands of work make roll20 time pretty premium at the moment. I'm doing what I can.

Edit: apologies, that was dickish. I've been at work for the last 11 days through, so please excuse the short patience.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 3, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

lenoon posted:

What am I not getting? I want three turns to hit the artillery and surrounds and then get the hell out of dodge. If the sausage trench is unoccupied, that's great, if not, the forest gives us some protection and can project north and south from there. I know it takes turns to limber up and move, and I know my range, spotting rules and indirect fire. What, wise mon Pere, am I missing this time?

Unfortunately the pressing demands of work make roll20 time pretty premium at the moment. I'm doing what I can.

First of all, sorry for sounding so abrasive and being an rear end in a top hat. I'm cranky since last night, and I've got good reasons to be, but that's no excuse to act like this.
Second, sorry for the fuckup when I gave you advice. You're not actually in range of any artillery that will be alive by the time the turn is over. So it's not necessary to move. It might even be possible to trap the enemy into moving into range to CB you in the phase after this one and then shell their assumed CB-ing location in the open.

You deployed your artillery on the edge of the woods once your movement is done, if I'm reading your orders right. Artillery deployed inside the woods like that cannot shoot over the forest it's in (no curved shots), so you're losing half your field of fire. I'd suggest coordinating with Hunt11 and your division commander about the exact placement of your artillery if you do decide to move. But staying where you are is also a good idea, nice trenches and nice coverage of the center-ish fords. Just don't go somewhere you can be caught out in the open by enemy artillery. That would suck pretty bad.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Man you're totally right, I have amended my orders. Probably more useful to risk counterbattery and spend time supporting anything going on to the north anyway.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

my dad posted:

First of all, sorry for sounding so abrasive and being an rear end in a top hat. I'm cranky since last night, and I've got good reasons to be, but that's no excuse to act like this.

Sorry to hear that. I hope things turn out all right for you.

Also, I think I've got things fixed so I can actually do things. Is there anything for the 23rd to do except shuffle north so that it isn't a ghost town when the boche come in? Should I be trying to optimize for coverage up North and do things like shifting MGs? Sorry, I'm at work right now and I'm more than a bit unclear on which chits are actually mine because I've been doing a frankly poor job of following along on my phone.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

Sorry to hear that. I hope things turn out all right for you.

Also, I think I've got things fixed so I can actually do things. Is there anything for the 23rd to do except shuffle north so that it isn't a ghost town when the boche come in? Should I be trying to optimize for coverage up North and do things like shifting MGs? Sorry, I'm at work right now and I'm more than a bit unclear on which chits are actually mine because I've been doing a frankly poor job of following along on my phone.

I'm thinking of sending the 24th to move through the trenches to take up positions held by the 23rd, with orders to stand and fight if the enemy is spotted, and then reshuffle in one turn once they're there so that the 23rd heads to occupy the south while the 24th takes up the 23rd's location former location. I think there's enough wiggle room inside the trenches to do that without exposing anyone to artillery fire in the open.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A question involving brigade movement. If in battle stance how precise can a brigade move across the battlefield? As in can they slip through gaps that are about a chit wide or will they run right into the obstacle?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hunt11 posted:

A question involving brigade movement. If in battle stance how precise can a brigade move across the battlefield? As in can they slip through gaps that are about a chit wide or will they run right into the obstacle?

To be precise, how big of a gap can be left between two barbed wire emplacements without compromising their ability to stop enemy movement, assuming they've been seen and can be planned around?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

You would need absolute knowledge of the terrain to make orders as specific as that. If the crossing is contested though, an awkward single-file brigade formation would just get shredded because of bad unit frontage so why is this an issue?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I would personally go all out with the counter-battery this round of turns. I think they aren't going to move, and if they don't you can just about kill all of their heavy guns. At that point, our defensive trenches become much more tenable. I worry that less intense barrage might leave some alive and we'll miss our opportunity.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You would need absolute knowledge of the terrain to make orders as specific as that. If the crossing is contested though, an awkward single-file brigade formation would just get shredded because of bad unit frontage so why is this an issue?

It's not about crossings. It's about barbed wire at a defensive line in the rear. Check the roll20 maps once you've got the chance.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

If they know about the chit-wide gap in advance, they can form a conga line and slip through the middle. If they don't, they will bonk right into the obstacle; if there's a chit or two that happens to be in exactly the right place that it's aligned with the gap, it'll get through, and everyone else in the brigade bonks into the obstacle and gets held up by it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

If they know about the chit-wide gap in advance, they can form a conga line and slip through the middle. If they don't, they will bonk right into the obstacle; if there's a chit or two that happens to be in exactly the right place that it's aligned with the gap, it'll get through, and everyone else in the brigade bonks into the obstacle and gets held up by it.

Does barbed wire going across a trench work the same way as barbed wire elsewhere? Will ti stop enemy chits moving through the trenches, while still letting friendly chits pass?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

My instinct is that it *should* function like a barricade (which would then allow in 1915 for the construction of historically accurate German-style weaponised hahas), and then I go and see that I didn't write that into the erections post, so now I feel bad.

Hunt, did you intend to put the wire in the middle of where 24th was entrenching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You can't fully see the second piece of wire but this is where I am talking about.

• Locked thread