Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I was under the impression passenger trains didn't run on the same gauge as commercial hauling trains. That's not to say there aren't spots where they intersect.

They run on the same types of tracks. Amtrak isn't always on freight lines, but 72% of their trains run on track owned by other people. They sometimes get deals worked out so they don't have to wait on other trains. I was definitely on an Amtrak train going from Seattle to Portland, and we ended up sitting for 20-30 minutes waiting on a freight train. Also took a train way back in the day when I was kid from Chicago to San Francisco, took over two days, but that's because there are stops all over the place, and in Denver we were stopped for a few hours. Long enough for us to get off and wander downtown for a little bit.

quote:

Seventy-two percent of the miles traveled by Amtrak trains are on tracks owned by other railroads. Known as "host railroads," they range from large publicly traded companies based in the U.S. or Canada, tostate and local government agencies and small businesses. Amtrak pays these host railroads for use of their track and other resources needed to operate Amtrak trains, with incentives for on-time performance.
https://www.amtrak.com/national-facts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I figure by now most folks caught wind of United's social media fail related to denying two teens from boarding because of their leggings - http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/28/how-two-teens-in-leggings-became-a-pr-mess-for-united-airlines.html

When it went viral on twitter the, well, twit that runs their account kept spamming the exact same sentence that United had the right to remove people for "inappropriate" clothing. What they failed to explain was that the teens were flying on free passes from a employee and that's why there's a dress code. Which is still sexist and stupid, but had the social media person clarified that to begin with the initial anger would have been far less. It was such a clueless move I almost wonder if the employee was purposely trying to make United look worse.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It was silly and could have been handled in so many better ways, but at least it reinforces the fact gate attendants and flight crews have that kind of power. I like that those people have that much control, even if it occasionally manifests itself in stupid or petty problems.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I figure by now most folks caught wind of United's social media fail related to denying two teens from boarding because of their leggings - http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/28/how-two-teens-in-leggings-became-a-pr-mess-for-united-airlines.html

At the same time, I believe the father who was also flying on a guest pass was in violation of the dress code (dad shorts?) and was allowed on.

Also, there's a difference between adults representing United Airlines and 10 year olds representing United.

Also I think we as a society have accepted the fact that you no longer need to dress up for flying and should wear whatever is most comfortable.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Big Grunty Secret posted:

At the same time, I believe the father who was also flying on a guest pass was in violation of the dress code (dad shorts?) and was allowed on.

Also, there's a difference between adults representing United Airlines and 10 year olds representing United.

Also I think we as a society have accepted the fact that you no longer need to dress up for flying and should wear whatever is most comfortable.

For me, the think that sticks out is that the complainer wasn't even involved or understood what was going on - they were just outraged on their behalf:

quote:

The girls were fine with the policy, Guerin says, but a traveler named Shannon Watts, who overheard the exchange, took offense.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

spog posted:

For me, the think that sticks out is that the complainer wasn't even involved or understood what was going on - they were just outraged on their behalf:

To be completely fair, if I saw young girls getting kicked off of a plane for "inappropriate" clothes that were just normal leggings(and I didn't know that it was part of an employee ticket dress code), I'd be pretty pissed off too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Honestly the less teenage girls on flights the better imho. Atleast babies have an excuse for being loud and annoying.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The Door Frame posted:

To be completely fair, if I saw young girls getting kicked off of a plane for "inappropriate" clothes that were just normal leggings(and I didn't know that it was part of an employee ticket dress code), I'd be pretty pissed off too.

Pissed enough to contact a news organization about it?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Apparently they used to be much more strict and things like shorts were not allowed, but that has since changed and shorts were allowed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Door Frame posted:

Even knowing the policy exists, seeing United deny someone boarding for wearing leggings is more off‐putting than the existence of leggings on the plane.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Even knowing the policy exists, seeing United deny someone boarding for wearing leggings is more off‐putting than the existence of leggings on the plane.

Really sure about that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ten‐year‐old are rarely that fat.

But now that you mention it, airlines should take a tougher stance against the criminally obese, regardless of clothing.

e: empty lines to push those images out of view

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I feel I owe you and the other posters an apology for those images. I hope none of you were eating.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
the last one looks like the mouth/snout of a dr seuss character

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

spog posted:

I feel I owe you and the other posters an apology for those images. I hope none of you were eating.

Well, not anymore...

Cause I make sure to finish my sandwich before getting some high octane posting in.

edit:

sweeperbravo posted:

the last one looks like the mouth/snout of a dr seuss character

I never really considered the green eggs and ham to be a character in and of itself but that is one way of looking at it. Oh wait wrong picture

Sam Faust has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Apr 1, 2017

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

spog posted:

You're right, this is the real tragedy here

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Dumb Marketing Moves #54: Poor font choice.

Edit: I had trouble reading it too. "Glitter."

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Apr 3, 2017

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Phanatic posted:

Great avatar for this post.

... What does it really say? Hitter?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

Great avatar for this post.

... What does it really say? Hitter?

Could be 'shitter'.

I have no idea what that really says.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

glitter.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Schicklgruber?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Saw it as Glitter immediately so maybe I'm the target audience.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Well, depends. Is that Hobby Lobby?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tired Moritz posted:

Saw it as Glitter immediately so maybe I'm the target audience.

Same here

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phanatic posted:

Hitler wankes me happy

:stonk:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Zaphod42 posted:

Hitler wankes me happy

:stonk:

This is some "gisnep" style bullshit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I, Butthole posted:

This is some "gisnep" style bullshit.

I'm just having a laugh :cheeky: It obviously says glitter. What's gisnep? *googles* huh, haven't heard that one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The font is questionable but from context it's not too hard to figure out it's supposed to be glitter.

'Hitter makes me happy' wouldn't make much sense

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are supposed to cut the horizontal bar from the second t before you apply the sticker, duh.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm just having a laugh :cheeky: It obviously says glitter. What's gisnep? *googles* huh, haven't heard that one.

I think it was in some previous iteration of a branding thread in GBS a while a back, but some illiterate idiot goon mentioned having read the logo below as "Gisnep" for quite a while in their adult life:

e: apparently googling "something awful gisnep" brings up a bunch of SA Disney related stuff and auto-highlights Disney as a searchterm, so apparently this is widespread. What the gently caress

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Phlegmish posted:

The font is questionable but from context it's not too hard to figure out it's supposed to be glitter.

'Hitter makes me happy' wouldn't make much sense

It indeed says 'Glitter makes me happy" but unfortunately it's a reference to convicted pedophile Gary Glitter.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Can a URL constitute false advertising?

http://www.drballitch.com/

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh my god his first name is Harry

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RandomFerret posted:

Oh my god his first name is Harry

Harry Jr. So they had one Harry Ballitch and kept going.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Saint Freak posted:

Harry Jr. So they had one Harry Ballitch and kept going.

"If I had to live with it, so will he!"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
http://community.garadget.com/t/iphone-app-will-not-stay-open-just-flashes-when-trying-to-launch/1706

Phone app garage door opener bricks a guy's device (the door opener not the phone) after a relatively benign one star review.

It hasn't gone that well for them.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCEm21aTh5Q

The worst commercial. Even worse than the Cadillac one with Neil Mcdonaugh.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah I saw that on Twitter earlier and Jesus. :psyboom:

You could write a dissertation on how many different ways this commercial is awful (and I expect to see a few of them online before I even finish this post) and you'd still have to make some really painful cuts. There's so much to unpack here from so many different angles that I don't even know where I would start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
It's like they watched the Chemical Brothers - Out of Control clip and turned it off 3/4 of the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sy8nS-Te6g

It did allow me to see this hot take on the situation where someone completely misses the point of it all so very thoroughly.