Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Modern state functions differently from the ancient state, and the state is the primary benefactor and initiator of patriarchal institutions. In the modern state, the focus is quite literally on producing biological bodies that can be used to support it, which is why no matte what ideology the state espouses, it always chooses the same means to strengthen itself (to a degree limited by its authoritarianism): Promoting high birthrates, limiting birth control, supporting traditional family, demonizing non traditional relations and household models... It doesn't matter if you look at Communists in the USSR, GOP in the US, or the Chinese government, they will invariably all skew towards the same patriarchal model that puts the generation and regulation of human bodies for the state above all else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Pizdec posted:

The weird part is that some ancient societies like Rome (and modern subcultures like the prisons or the Army) have the exact same view without denouncing homosexuality as a phenomenon - gay sex is fine as long as you're the fucker rather than the fuckee.

Much of that evidence was proscriptive, not descriptive. It's pressure to make being a bottom seem bad, rather than acknowledging that everyone thought being a bottom was bad.

It'd be like if in 2000 years you said that most people today thought doing drugs was immoral because there were so many laws against doing drugs and so much media depicting its negative aspects: It's true, but it's not nearly the whole story.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so i have seen reports popping of of Chechen authorities rounding up and killing gay men/women. most of them are from Russian sources.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/world/europe/chechen-authorities-arresting-and-killing-gay-men-russian-paper-says.html

so has Kadyrov fallen out of favor with putin and now putin is trying to throw him under the bridge in the papers internationaly so when the Russians march in to absorb it completly, they have "justification".

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe I'm just naive and can't understand this poo poo, but I could never and still can't understand conservative country's obsession with the gays. It's not like they're a rival political movement or religion, they don't own disproportionate amounts of the economy, they don't have questionable foreign ties or potential loyalties during war. There's just no reason to be so ridiculous towards them. It even seems to be beyond some cynical reason like needing a hated other to rally/distract the people with, it often seems to be a genuine irrational murderous hatred.

It's always nice to have a few people around you can casually toss to the mob whenever you want to increase the overall level of violence. Being visibly brutally oppressive against an isolated group makes any potential resistance by others less likely even if most of the population goes along with it. The same gentlemen that drag jews/gays to god knows where with complete impunity can make you disappear as well.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Rinkles posted:

They are very much seen as a political phenomenon; a provocation. They're a manifestation of the influence of the decadent west. Homosexuality is considered an aberration in these countries, so obviously foreign interests must be behind any native efforts in raising awareness and tolerance.

Yeah I think this explains why oppression of gays is getting worse in many of these countries, they were conservative and patriarchal before but what has changed is that LGBT rights have become more visible in the west. These countries have noticed that and now see oppressing gays as an easy way to signal that "hey, we're not like those decadent westerners."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I think this explains why oppression of gays is getting worse in many of these countries, they were conservative and patriarchal before but what has changed is that LGBT rights have become more visible in the west. These countries have noticed that and now see oppressing gays as an easy way to signal that "hey, we're not like those decadent westerners."

I'd say it's a combination of this and the fact that LGBT people becoming more accepted in the west has also led to LGBT rights movements in a lot of these patriarchal countries, so whereas a couple decades ago they could just ignore gay people and pretend they didn't exist, these days gay people in their countries see the progress being made in the west and have started to move more into the visible public sphere, which has led to a lot of backlash and confrontation by the authorities and the patriarchal societies they're a part of.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

It's mostly about conformity. Conservative states could probably alter their structure and function relatively unchanged with gay marriages or legalized abortion - but they draw a lot of their legitimacy from religion and tradition as something not ever to be questioned. If they are seen buckling under internal pressure, what prevents other groups from making demands as well in other causes - which could directly endanger existing power structures? For the right-wing, opposing LGBT rights has become a way to fight liberalism.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
There has been explosions on a few of the trains on the St. Petersburg Metro. (http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/03/europe/st-petersburg-russia-explosion/)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I guess the protests really worried Putin.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so i have seen reports popping of of Chechen authorities rounding up and killing gay men/women. most of them are from Russian sources.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/world/europe/chechen-authorities-arresting-and-killing-gay-men-russian-paper-says.html

so has Kadyrov fallen out of favor with putin and now putin is trying to throw him under the bridge in the papers internationaly so when the Russians march in to absorb it completly, they have "justification".

I can't imagine Putin would choose "protecting homosexuals" as his casus belli for a new round of war against the Chechens. It'd be contrary to all the policy changes that happened under his governments wrt. homosexuality.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Switched on RT on a lark for live coverage of the attacks. Within five minutes, they turn to a talking head hammering away about how this is clearly the fault of the United States's support for anti-Assad rebels. Utterly shameless.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

I can't imagine Putin would choose "protecting homosexuals" as his casus belli for a new round of war against the Chechens. It'd be contrary to all the policy changes that happened under his governments wrt. homosexuality.

If Putin wanted a West-friendly cause for going after Kadyrov he would probably just hold him responsible for Nemtsov and similar assassinations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Early reports are saying 10 dead, but based on the pictures, I'd expect that number to climb.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Switched on RT on a lark for live coverage of the attacks. Within five minutes, they turn to a talking head hammering away about how this is clearly the fault of the United States's support for anti-Assad rebels. Utterly shameless.

You never know, there could always be secret Kurdish terrorist groups in the heart of Russia lmao

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Cat Mattress posted:

I could potentially see "Kadyrov has become an Islamic fundamentalist, while we all agree homophobia is great his death squads are not the civilized man's way of repressing them". That, the Chechen volunteers for ISIS and the Ukrainian war, and Kadyrov's general wackiness like holding that MMA tournament with kids could be used to portray him as an ISIS sympathizer without having to say anti-LGBT violence is bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Typical Goon posted:

You never know, there could always be secret Kurdish terrorist groups in the heart of Russia lmao

If there's one thing we can say with certainty about this mixed up world, it's that ABSOLUTELY NO suppressed Russian subjects have been involved with the ISIS and fighting a proxy war against the Russian government in Syria.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So Putin is blowing up trains now huh? I guess he wants a 3rd chechen war?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DrProsek posted:

I could potentially see "Kadyrov has become an Islamic fundamentalist, while we all agree homophobia is great his death squads are not the civilized man's way of repressing them". That, the Chechen volunteers for ISIS and the Ukrainian war, and Kadyrov's general wackiness like holding that MMA tournament with kids could be used to portray him as an ISIS sympathizer without having to say anti-LGBT violence is bad.

As someone who has watched far too much Russian MMA, wasn't it "just" 3 individual kids fights rather than a tournament?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

So Putin is blowing up trains now huh? I guess he wants a 3rd chechen war?

I guess it's just totally unimaginable that anyone else would want to organize an attack on Russia at this point given how popular they are internationally. Must be a false flag.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Some heads are going to roll over this. There is security measures everywhere in the metro, but this still happened. It would really help if the police actually paid attention to the metal detectors, but I know that's impossible due to volumes and time.

Just, gently caress. I hope everyone I know here is ok :(

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
drat, it seems it's always the wrong people getting hurt.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

As someone who has watched far too much Russian MMA, wasn't it "just" 3 individual kids fights rather than a tournament?
Yes, tournament​ celebrating his birthday was for adult competitors. Each of his 3 sons did participate in a show match.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

Russian media tends to imply NATO/US secretly created and is supporting ISIS and the hard core islamists.

They downplay the actual, large scale and successful NATO/US campaign to support the Kurds and SDF against ISIS while heavily covering their own small contributions to portray themselves as the ones ~really~ fighting ISIS. This looks much better than talking about waging terror bombing and depopulation campaigns on the general population of Syria while NATO kills the universally accepted bad guys.

Basically as long as the Kurds are not directly in conflict with Assad you won't see Russia pointing the finger at them.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 3, 2017

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

forkboy84 posted:

Ah, right. I remembered it was a whole big event and assumed that meant it was a whole tournament. It was just a series of single fights between his kids and some other kids (along with the aforementioned adults tournament).

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Karmalis posted:

drat, it seems it's always the wrong people getting hurt.

Yep,

https://twitter.com/madisonreed/status/848902367181406210

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
^^^ gently caress.

I was wondering when people would start to get desperate. poo poo's getting pretty dire in Russia as far as I can tell.

Of course, this will be used as an excuse to poo poo on opposition further.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Calling it now: Navalnyi organized the bombings using US money to hire Latvian female ISIS mercenaries.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If the Chechens were behind this/or if Putin frames it as such Kadyrov might lose his head and poo poo's going to go down.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Another day, another Smolensk claim by Polish government. This time Russian airspace coordinators are being blamed for intentional provocation of the catastrophe, whatever that phrasing means.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's no way Putin has any interest in ousting Kadyrov. If he wants to set Chechnya straight, he will do so by making Kadyrov apply pressure, not by replacing him.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm all for blaming a lot of stuff on putin and russian conspiracies but that polish plane really did seem to be a legit crash.
Like sure, say Putin did some of the moscow apartment bombings, that's a potential juicy conspiracy theory with a lot of spoopy evidence. But that plane crash, get over it guys.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

There's no way Putin has any interest in ousting Kadyrov. If he wants to set Chechnya straight, he will do so by making Kadyrov apply pressure, not by replacing him.
Yeah, the existence of Kadyrov as a figure in its entirety is Putin's way to keep Chechnya straight. The stability of the region is directly proportional to the size of Kadyrov's pockets.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm all for blaming a lot of stuff on putin and russian conspiracies but that polish plane really did seem to be a legit crash.
Like sure, say Putin did some of the moscow apartment bombings, that's a potential juicy conspiracy theory with a lot of spoopy evidence. But that plane crash, get over it guys.
It's not like there is lack of evidence about the resentful state of the Polish Air Force to begin with.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
The Mayday/ACI episode on the crash is pretty good. My favorite is Polish media talking about the pilot offering a solemn prayer before the crash but the actual CVR recording is...rather more colorful.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

St. Petersburg metro footage moments after the explosion. :nws: https://player.vimeo.com/video/211348374

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/848956176716922880

Hmm.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
i hope it was ukrainian nazis

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

For the people of Saint Petersburg, it's the worst day of their lives. For Putin, it's a Monday.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Young Freud posted:

For the people of Saint Petersburg, it's the worst day of their lives. For Putin, it's a Monday.

to be fair stuff gets less important once you've done it 3 times

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I guess it's just totally unimaginable that anyone else would want to organize an attack on Russia at this point given how popular they are internationally. Must be a false flag.

Unimaginable? No of course not. But it's not like Putin doesn't have a history of literally blowing up his own people to justify a war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

you think its a repeat of the apartment bombings? maybe, idk, i assume its probaly ISIS or some homegrown dickheads.