Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I think the lesson should be to peel back car usage in non-ideal circumstances, meaning any trip that is A) Not long distance, and B) not mandated via a health concern or handicap.

I don't think "gently caress bikes" is the lesson you should take from the modern city experience, if anything it should be "gently caress cars." lol at this happening in America, however.

They can be operated safely, just not in a context of cars monopolizing all available space and roadway because they were there first. Your premise is that cars must be the predominant form of transport, and I disagree with that assessment.

its impossible to design roads to be mixed use between cars and bicycles since cars are infinitely more capable than bicycles. My premise is when deciding what to do with limited space, you should give it to cars as they are the more effective transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
nah you just force all your posted speed limits down to 20mph like a mayor once demanded of my boss and some DOTD people in a p hilarious meeting when we were resigning this little town

they still wanted school zones too (also set at 20) so that the tickets could be that much juicier there

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't get how anyone who's been reading the forum for more than a month can get shaggared re: bicycles

The Management posted:

nice. I hope you're actively not caring as hard as you can at your current job
I quit my current job last year and took a few months off so I'm actually looking forward to working again

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
sure enjoying this bike chat

isn't there a transit chat honeypot?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
shut up about bicycles and cars idiots

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i just really enjoy gettin shaggered

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
follow up chat with the recruiter today after I kicked rear end on the online coding interview last week. I'm going to try to ask her about the secret project they're hiring for to make sure it's not some stupid thing. she's going to try to avoid telling me. then she's going to ask me how much I want. I'm going to be vague but still try to impart on her that I expect a shitload of money.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
lmao car chat coming up

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

car chat infects all threads :iiaca:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

someone should combine the car and bicycle and solve this once and for all

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

someone should combine the car and bicycle and solve this once and for all

they tried that, but everyone just seems to hate them even more.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
whats the big deal, just take the train to work like a normal human

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
are you the fuckjing president of the universe (no) then don't loving drive a car idiot

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

i just really enjoy gettin shaggered

same

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
they reduced the speed limit in the city center here to 30km/h (~20mph) in an effort to make things safer for cyclists. you'll be shocked to know that it hasn't actually made a difference to car speeds

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it takes me 17 minutes to bike the 4 km to work because of cars

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

you bike in china?

rip your lungs

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

fart simpson posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mishaq posted:

you bike in china?

rip your lungs

the air quality in shenzhen isn't too bad usually

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

fart simpson posted:

air quality in shenzhen isn't too bad

uhhhhhhhhhh

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Shaggar posted:

cars are useful transportation and bicycles are not. the problem is that even if you were to design slow "roads" for bicycles now you're in the same range as pedestrians. since pedestrians outnumber bicycles they would get priority on any such mixed use paths. and in most cases you don't really have a lot of room for all of this so the priority would go to paths and roadways pedestrians and cars.
They're called "trails" and pedestrians walk on them. Somehow the cyclists figure out a way to go around the people.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

They're called "trails" and pedestrians walk on them. Somehow the cyclists figure out a way to go around the people.

i get super scared when a cyclist pass me at a narrow section and there's cliff on 1 side. one poorly timed hand wave would end extremely badly.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MeruFM posted:

uhhhhhhhhhh

it's true. it's still not good quality air but if all of china was like this you wouldn't hear all the horror stories

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

the air quality in shenzhen isn't too bad usually

lol

fart simpson posted:

it's true. it's still not good quality air but if all of china was like this you wouldn't hear all the horror stories

loll

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it's usually the same as in hong kong, as in "moderate" on the aqi scale: "Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people who are unusually sensitive to air pollution."

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

like today where i live in shenzhen the aqi is pretty similar to the aqi today in london or paris or san fernando valley. it's not great but it's not nearly as bad as most of china

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Lol so work has been bugging me to get a work Twitter account and handle for a while now (@myname+companyname). This is supposedly to 'increase client access' or something. Anybody else experience something like this?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ocrassus posted:

Lol so work has been bugging me to get a work Twitter account and handle for a while now (@myname+companyname). This is supposedly to 'increase client access' or something. Anybody else experience something like this?
What sort of role do you have?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

What sort of role do you have?

Front-end dev + some design stuff and backend stuff when it's required (smaller company of around 25 people).

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

Great news! COMPANY would love to move you to the second round in the process! Do you have any availability for 8:00am any day this week?

lol 8am. someone should tell this guy he's hiring engineers

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

it's usually the same as in hong kong, as in "moderate" on the aqi scale: "Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people who are unusually sensitive to air pollution."

you mean the Hong Kong aqi that uses a 20 year old outdated model they refuse to update for some reason🤔

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

don't force fart simpson to face the fact that he is giving up years of his lifespan living where he does, nothing good will come of it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

no i mean the aqi website that they mention as reputable which uses the same scale and model across the world

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tbh i am really not worried about the air affecting my lifespan significantly. the food and water, though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

also lol at trusting air quality sensors that are anywhere other than on the roofs of american embassies/consulates in china

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Management posted:

I start work at 6am because I consult after work. I actually really like it.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

I start work at 6am because I consult after work. I actually really like it.

I start work at noon cause the rest of my team is on the west coast, having the morning free to gym and eat a good breakfast and start work when my brain is actually on is real nice

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pr0zac posted:

I start work at noon cause the rest of my team is on the west coast, having the morning free to gym and eat a good breakfast and start work when my brain is actually on is real nice

I wake up at 430 and go to the gym before work, then I eat breakfast when I get to work.

I work a straight 8 and eat lunch once I get home at 2:15.

I then do contract work for 3 - 4 hours and stop for the day.

Bedtime is at 9, so it works out really well. Been doing it for over a year now. :unsmith:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

real engineers are mostly olds who are well-known for their love of waking up early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

8am means the contact at the company doesn't have time to do it during the day which means they are bad at scheduling. probably avoid.

• Locked thread