Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Whats the threads opinion on the s8/+? Upgrading soon and three dont sell pixels

https://store.google.com/gb/product/pixel_phone?hl=en-GB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

How do I do this?

You have to go into security and reset up your pin/lock and it will ask you if you want to require it at launch.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mega Comrade posted:

You have to go into security and reset up your pin/lock and it will ask you if you want to require it at launch.

Thanks for this.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Whats the threads opinion on the s8/+? Upgrading soon and three dont sell pixels

8+ is too loving big according to all of the people I've talked to. It's hard to hold in one hand. The 8 though is ridiculously responsive and good. So unless you have king Kong hands the 8 is the way to go

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The fingerprint scanner location is a dealbreaker for me personally on the S8 but I'll probably get one at work for free anyways.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I got bit by the Nexus 6p battery issue where it would start turning off regularly around ~20% or so. I preordered so I was out of the 1 year Google warranty but didn't want to drop the $79 on a nexus protect claim so I decided to try talking to Google. They did an exception and sent me a refurb.

Whose battery has has 363mAh capacity out of an original 3450.

HELL OF A REFURB JOB, GOOGLE.

Edit: luckily you get 30 days of warranty with a refurb device, so I just called up and requested another device and didn't have trouble since it's now under active support. I wish I thought to check the battery before putting on the screen protector though.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 3, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wow my Pixel. It's still great. Caseless, scratchless, snappy as ever.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

RZA Encryption posted:

Agreed

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

vyst posted:

8+ is too loving big according to all of the people I've talked to. It's hard to hold in one hand. The 8 though is ridiculously responsive and good. So unless you have king Kong hands the 8 is the way to go

The Verizon store I went to in North Dallas yesterday had the S8 and S8+ on display. The Plus didn't feel any bigger or harder to handle than my Note 4.

Of course I have and like a Note 4 because my hands are on the King Kong side of the bell curve...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

:same:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

The fingerprint scanner location is a dealbreaker for me personally on the S8 but I'll probably get one at work for free anyways.

Supposedly the rumor is they were going to put one in the screen but the technology wasn't ready so they had to scramble due to lack of real estate and that's where a dual camera was going to go

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

RZA Encryption posted:

I mean it's only like 6 months old so I would hope so.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
My Sony z3c died (rip, you beautiful bastard) and I got a Moto G5 Plus (64gig HD / 4gigs RAM) and it's pretty drat good. If this is 'mid-range' then I am completely fine with that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

RZA Encryption posted:

:yeah:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RZA Encryption posted:

The only reason I have a case on mine is because magnetic car mounts rule.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

H2SO4 posted:

I got bit by the Nexus 6p battery issue where it would start turning off regularly around ~20% or so. I preordered so I was out of the 1 year Google warranty but didn't want to drop the $79 on a nexus protect claim so I decided to try talking to Google. They did an exception and sent me a refurb.

Whose battery has has 363mAh capacity out of an original 3450.

HELL OF A REFURB JOB, GOOGLE.

Edit: luckily you get 30 days of warranty with a refurb device, so I just called up and requested another device and didn't have trouble since it's now under active support. I wish I thought to check the battery before putting on the screen protector though.

Lol. I got Google to swap my 6p about 6 weeks out of warranty. Battery was legit, and have given me trouble. The Android trouble I'm having now is random lock up. On camera and falls asleep? Lock up. Navigating and loses gps? Lockup. Wtf Android.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Had a good full day of usage and so far battery life on G5 plus is excellent. In the last 12 hours I've been out and about running errands and using the phone a few small times. I did a 2.5 hour run with GPS logging banging away the whole time too. As of right now battery is at 60%. That's the best I've ever had in a phone personally. Could probably push this to two days of use on a full charge in a pinch. The fast turbo charging is excellent too. Overall I'm really liking the phone.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Idk if it's just my Pixel or everyone's, but the screen definitely doesn't respond to pinch zooming all that accurately. First discovered on Instagram while trying to zoom in on a photo, and confirmed in Google Maps as well.

The issue appears to be that when you put two fingers in the screen and spread them apart, the phone doesn't recognize this until your fingers have traveled an inch or so while touching the screen. It also seems like if you spread apart your fingers very slowly, it won't recognize this action at all. I can easily move two fingers away from each other without the objects on the screen moving at all even though I'm touching the screen the entire time.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Apple being the first developers of multi-touch? The last Android phone I had was the Nexus One and I think it didn't have multi-touch at first because of patents or whatever and then the functionality was patched in.

e: oddly enough, tapping to view someone's​ Twitter profile and zooming on that image is hyper responsive. But, tapping to open an image someone shared as part of a tweet still suffers from that zoom lag. So weird. Kind of a disappointing experience as I get more and more used to Android and am growing to really like it otherwise.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 3, 2017

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
google maps is just really laggy, for one thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

Idk if it's just my Pixel or everyone's, but the screen definitely doesn't respond to pinch zooming all that accurately. First discovered on Instagram while trying to zoom in on a photo, and confirmed in Google Maps as well.

The issue appears to be that when you put two fingers in the screen and spread them apart, the phone doesn't recognize this until your fingers have traveled an inch or so while touching the screen. It also seems like if you spread apart your fingers very slowly, it won't recognize this action at all. I can easily move two fingers away from each other without the objects on the screen moving at all even though I'm touching the screen the entire time.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Apple being the first developers of multi-touch? The last Android phone I had was the Nexus One and I think it didn't have multi-touch at first because of patents or whatever and then the functionality was patched in.

e: oddly enough, tapping to view someone's​ Twitter profile and zooming on that image is hyper responsive. But, tapping to open an image someone shared as part of a tweet still suffers from that zoom lag. So weird. Kind of a disappointing experience as I get more and more used to Android and am growing to really like it otherwise.

Sounds like it's just the app in question if it works well sometimes but not others.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

LastInLine posted:

Sounds like it's just the app in question if it works well sometimes but not others.

That'd be fairly surprising (though not impossible, because Android), since gestures are system calls.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

That'd be fairly surprising (though not impossible, because Android), since gestures are system calls.
This is not really true. There are different ways to consume gesture/touch events on different types of views and in many cases you have a choice of level to handle them at.

I can reproduce the described behaviour in Google Maps. It's also possible to get it into a state where it is accepting zoom but not twist or twist but not zoom gestures. Most likely it's reading the basic touch/drag events directly and interpreting them into gestures itself and just has some bugs in that logic.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

This is not really true. There are different ways to consume gesture/touch events on different types of views and in many cases you have a choice of level to handle them at.

I can reproduce the described behaviour in Google Maps. It's also possible to get it into a state where it is accepting zoom but not twist or twist but not zoom gestures. Most likely it's reading the basic touch/drag events directly and interpreting them into gestures itself and just has some bugs in that logic.

This is a good and accurate post that mirrors my thoughts on the subject. Maps has been around so long that u bet they've implemented a lot of things in the app rather than using system api calls.

Instagram uses React Native for at least part of its app and who knows what this doing with regards to touch and gesture events.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I need to upgrade and the Pixel isn't an option

S8 or G6?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Eejit posted:

S8 or G6?

I'd recommend the S8 in that situation.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's how I was leaning as well. Is there a way to get Assistant on the S8? From what I'm reading, Bixby is nowhere as good

I'm going to be sad because I love my Nexus 6 and am pretty much balls deep in the Google ecosystem, but it is starting to show its age

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Eejit posted:

S8 or G6?
S8, assuming you can tolerate the stupid fingerprint sensor placement

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Why's the Pixel not an option?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Not on Verizon and able to get a discount on carrier upgrade is my guess.

That LG G6 does look sexy too, but the S8 will have a bit better hardware overall and less chance of Bootloop of Death in a year. Also it may actually get a few more updates as LG seems to do a one and done and completely forgets about their last flagship once their next phone is Leaked/Announced.

But the S8 may still explode so it's a tossup at that point.

I will say that the S835 may make even whatever bloat Samsung has all over the S8 near invisible for how fast the drat thing is. That CPU flat flies with good storage to back it up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

I will say that the S835 may make even whatever bloat Samsung has all over the S8 near invisible for how fast the drat thing is. That CPU flat flies with good storage to back it up.

This has been said every time Samsung releases a phone and it's never been true.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Just bought an nvidia k1 as it had some features I liked such as hdmi out however the wifi is terrible. I'm getting cut outs all the time even if I sit 2 feet from the router. I know they had issues with the marshmallow upgrade but I have now upgraded to nougat.

Will be trying a full clear of the cache and reinstall nougat and if that doesn't work then it's going back.

Any advice or recommendations for a cheap tablet?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why's the Pixel not an option?

Gonna assume money or "I want it now"

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

That LG G6 does look sexy too, but the S8 will have a bit better hardware overall and less chance of Bootloop of Death in a year. Also it may actually get a few more updates as LG seems to do a one and done and completely forgets about their last flagship once their next phone is Leaked/Announced.

But the S8 may still explode so it's a tossup at that point.

I feel like for all of Samsung's previous faults, the one thing this phone won't do is explode.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

I feel like for all of Samsung's previous faults, the one thing this phone won't do is explode.

Even their factories and stores are lighting on fire now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Even their factories and stores are lighting on fire now.

Battery fires happen pretty regularly across the entire electronics sector to be fair. I'm pretty confident the S8 isn't going to blow up (:toxx: ???)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyst posted:

Not sure. The latest LG is more likely to boot loop than other phones due to their history of doing so. Same logic applies to phones exploding. It's way more likely than not to be non-exploding, but it's simultaneously also probably the most likely new flagship to explode.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

EdEddnEddy posted:

Ding ding ding

Gonna go chat with a rep tonight and double check my math, but I'm pretty sure preordering an S8 is gonna be my best option

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Bigsteve posted:

Just bought an nvidia k1 as it had some features I liked such as hdmi out however the wifi is terrible. I'm getting cut outs all the time even if I sit 2 feet from the router. I know they had issues with the marshmallow upgrade but I have now upgraded to nougat.

Will be trying a full clear of the cache and reinstall nougat and if that doesn't work then it's going back.

Any advice or recommendations for a cheap tablet?

Still the K1, just see if that doesn't fix your issue, see if you can swap it out for a good one wherever you bought it.

The wifi issues seem to be device specific, and the only main other issue is short bettery life compared to other tablets, but as far as options and updates go, the K1 is hard to beat unless you want a Samsung and only getting like one good update before they forget about it. K1 has gotten everything from 4.4 to 7.0 which is pretty incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

wtf Google, I've barely used Hangouts today