Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gologle posted:

This is so amazing. I don't care what you Pokefreaks post about types or whatever, I'm loving the art in this thread.
It's certainly one of the better aspects of the fandom (of course, that also depends on how far down you look, because like with any fandom, there's plenty of "HAND ME THE BRAIN BLEACH!" moments)

And like with many series, the fanart gives you the illusion it's a good and you'll probably enjoy it because unlike the game, the art had more effort put in during six hours than the nine years Uranium was in development.

Eh, different strokes for different folks and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is that just a green cat

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

Is that just a green cat

Our grass starter, ladies and gentlemen.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Meanwhile, Pajay is basically "Let's slap a helmet on Ho-Oh and call it a day."

Truly, the pinnacle of creativity.

Still waiting for the game that features nothing but fusions between creatures from different Nintendo properties

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

iospace posted:

I don't know why, either.

it also predates dark type anyway

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Manatee Cannon posted:

it also predates dark type anyway

So does Bite.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Bite being Dark never really made any sense to me.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

ZeroCount posted:

Biting is like suckerpunching, it's foul play and that's one of the themes of dark

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
How come a physical move that drains vitality is "dark" when a bat does it but it's honorable martial arts when done by anyone else?

Blatant racism.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Forer posted:

Biting is like suckerpunching, it's foul play and that's one of the themes of dark

It's only foul play if you're a martial-artist or like a humanoid. Biting is the main bread and butter combo of like 90% of all animals.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Owten is still freaky as gently caress, sorry.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It's a neopet

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

How come a physical move that drains vitality is "dark" when a bat does it but it's honorable martial arts when done by anyone else?

Blatant racism.

leech life is bug tho, bugs are cute

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Regarding the town in the latest update: Haven't Pokemon games had plenty of "remote/simple life/low tech" towns before that didn't need to omit a PC from the pokemon centre? Like I'm pretty sure almost every gen has something to that effect. I do like the idea of lacking a traditional mart in favour of trading berries for stuff though.

Azurite: It was probably already brought up but I'm annoyed by Azurite having light types because "it's the polar opposite of dark - a no-brainer" when it's well established Dark types are more "evil" then "darkness" Also the strongly resist stuff makes no sense.

Cosmic is about the only type I like, if only because I really like the idea of "Space magic"

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Regarding the town in the latest update: Haven't Pokemon games had plenty of "remote/simple life/low tech" towns before that didn't need to omit a PC from the pokemon centre? Like I'm pretty sure almost every gen has something to that effect. I do like the idea of lacking a traditional mart in favour of trading berries for stuff though.

The convention has been "If there's an actual Pokémon Centre with a healing machine and a Chansey, there's also a PC."

Only outposts so remote as to have healing conducted by a different kind of rest NPC have also lacked a PC connection.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The only center without a working PC to my knowledge is Po Town in SuMo

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

iospace posted:

The only center without a working PC to my knowledge is Po Town in SuMo

♪ Yo, we both know that you weren't a jerk ♪
♪ But we can't get this drat PC to work ♪

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
When I got to the route with the day care in Sun/Moon I used the PC there to manually heal my team by depositing and withdrawing them. Then I realized I could talk to the Miltank right outside for a free heal, whoops.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ZeroCount posted:

mouths are dark places

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Oxyclean posted:

Azurite: It was probably already brought up but I'm annoyed by Azurite having light types because "it's the polar opposite of dark - a no-brainer" when it's well established Dark types are more "evil" then "darkness"
Fun fact: in German, Dark type is called "Unlicht" - which literally means "un-light", and it's not actually a German word.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, in Japanese Dark is literally the 'Evil' type.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
like, an actual opposite type to Dark would be the "Hero" type, but both Bug and Fighting sometimes take that role. especially The People's Champion, Heracross, bane of the Dark types.

still....
Heroic Type
strong against Dark, Ghost, Dragon
ineffective against Fairy, Psychic, Poison, Ice
weak to Fairy, Poison, Ice (gently caress it, let's throw Ice a bone)
resistant to Dark, Ghost, Dragon

is this balanced? I dunno.

Science Type
strong against Dragon, Fairy, Psychic
ineffective against Ghost, Fighting (nerds)
weak to Ghost, Fighting
resistant to Dragon, Fairy, Electric

lol I dunno.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bug IS the Hero Type, because Kamen Rider is an ally of justice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

So does Bite.

Yeah, sand attack was also normal in gen 1.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

For an "opposite of Dark type" type, I'd probably suggest something along the lines of Divine/Holy. Probably too "religious", but works both as being opposite of evil and also something that's traditionally been portrayed as light.

Could actually be amusing if Azurite ran with something like that, suggesting that in the "original" (Japanese) version it was Holy, but just like Evil became Dark when it went from Japanese to English, Holy became Light in the imaginary translation.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 3, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Dark already has an opposite in Fighting type.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mrpwase posted:

♪ Yo, we both know that you weren't a jerk ♪
♪ But we can't get this drat PC to work ♪

Team Skull is probably both potentially one of the most dangerous, silly, and wholly self aware pokemon villain teams ever.

Which made them so much better.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

iospace posted:

Team Skull is probably both potentially one of the most dangerous, silly, and wholly self aware pokemon villain teams ever.

Which made them so much better.

I liked it when you reach there hideout and come to the depressing realization that for every one of them thats evil, there is a dropout kid with broken dreams who cant even afford to keep the pokecenter running.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I liked it when you reach there hideout and come to the depressing realization that for every one of them thats evil, there is a dropout kid with broken dreams who cant even afford to keep the pokecenter running.

How many of them were actually "evil" or even criminal? I think they do some pokemon stealing, but even super early on, it felt like the player character and NPCs weren't taking them very seriously.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Spatula City posted:

weak to Fairy, Poison, Ice (gently caress it, let's throw Ice a bone)

Weak to ice because if they throw out their catchphrase and it gets a chilly reception, they can't get as fired up. :v:

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Skull Grunts aren't evil. Even the ones that try to be aren't very good at it, really. They're LOSERS, and they all know it. That's why they're in Team Skull in the first place: they gave up on their own Island Challenge partway through, and have lost the confidence to see anything else through either. (This is why they're also so quick to give up when you beat their teams up. They're perhaps the ONLY Grunts for whom it makes sense to just stop and go home after getting wiped by a teen or preteen protag.)

They're troublemaking delinquents at worst, if left to their own devices. It's only when someone else is pulling their strings and organizing them that they become anything approaching a legitimate threat.

E: This wasn't supposed to be its own post. I meant to hit edit and add, not reply. >_<

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Forer posted:

Yeah, biting is foul play for humans but it sure isn't for animals. It's just a really basic thing most animals do normally.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's also weird in the sense that, by the game's logic, you can do more damage to a rock by biting it than by stomping on it.

But Pokemon has a consistent competitive scene and it doesn't do to rock the boat too much.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've always felt like Psychic is the opposing type of Dark, if only because Umbreon and Espeon were introduced in the same game, with their evolution conditions having an element of duality between them as well.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I dont know why they didnt do a steeleon or something to show off steel typing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

magnemite is piloted by baby eevees

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I dont know why they didnt do a steeleon or something to show off steel typing

All of Eevee's evolutions are types that were special before the split. Presumably Fairy type would have been special too, and presumably we'll get a Dragon type evolution to round things out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexie posted:

All of Eevee's evolutions are types that were special before the split. Presumably Fairy type would have been special too, and presumably we'll get a Dragon type evolution to round things out.

The other thing is every new Eeveelution was a mechanic introduce that game. Gen II was friendship and day/night, Gen IV was location based (Moss Rock/Ice Rock), Gen VI was pokemon amie/refresh based (and fairy).

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Dexie posted:

That's not an actual reason. That's just something fans noticed and then ran with because "patterns".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dr. Dos posted:

When I got to the route with the day care in Sun/Moon I used the PC there to manually heal my team by depositing and withdrawing them. Then I realized I could talk to the Miltank right outside for a free heal, whoops.

I found that out on accident while breeding.

• Locked thread