Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

It's not, though, and I think it's not good to think about it in that way. You should be able to understand what events ultimately led to you getting killed.

Sometimes, there's nothing you can do. Circle closes such that you have to cross a bunch of open ground, you get shot.

In other cases, dying means that you did, in fact, do something wrong. You can't always know where other people will be, so you have to play as though there's always someone stalking you. Hand-waving deaths out in the woods as RNG doesn't help you die less often.

I mean, I just do that as a mental note. In reality I know I died because that guy had better positioning on me. It happens. I've jumped my share of dudes in this game so when I get shot and don't know from where, it's just balance. Would I like to know from where? Maybe, but even if I did know I'll still die to a guy like that later on anyway, it's just the nature of games like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
gently caress nerds in ghillie suits. Also gently caress m4s.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I've killed a few dudes in ghillies so far, don't know if I've ever died to one. Since most people peak trees at the end and there's so little actual soft cover, I don't think a ghillie helps all that much.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

VulgarandStupid posted:

I've killed a few dudes in ghillies so far, don't know if I've ever died to one. Since most people peak trees at the end and there's so little actual soft cover, I don't think a ghillie helps all that much.

Idk, there's plenty of bushes in this game. He looked like a bush. I blame the m4 for not killing him with a headshot.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Lol, just lol if you are not playing with vegetation to minimum, and other appropriate low graphics so players stand out like a sore thumb.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Idk, there's plenty of bushes in this game. He looked like a bush. I blame the m4 for not killing him with a headshot.

It's is pretty crazy how quickly the bushes and grass depopulates, though, even on high end settings. It's grassy and visually busy when you are within a hundred meters, but any further than that it is just barren.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

loving love that voice chat is still active for a few seconds after you die, every time I kill some salty motherfucker and their vengeful ghost calls me a pussy human being I just cackle with glee.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Reztes posted:

loving love that voice chat is still active for a few seconds after you die, every time I kill some salty motherfucker and their vengeful ghost calls me a pussy human being I just cackle with glee.

From 9:30 to 11:30 for some glorious schadenfreude. The whole video is worth it if anyone has 15 mins to kill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKPSLBJW0m0&t=570s

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Reztes posted:

It's cliche as gently caress, but I've given a few dudes the never unfunny "surprise, motherfucker!" right as I shotgun them.

Also voice chat was great earlier when a dude had my two teammates pinned in a house. Then another squad showed up and pinned him.

"Truce?" came the timid voice. "Sure" was the reply. In the house he came, other squad died, then my guys and he ran opposite directions while counting to ten before turning to have an OK Corral shootout. This game is loving hilarious sometimes.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah I was with a buddy today when we spotted someone enter a house late in the round, and as we approached I heard "throw the grenade." My friends leave the main chat off for obvious reasons and speak in Vent. So I was happy to learn there was proximity chat and I dodged the grenade and lit the dude up.
My buddy killed the other guy in the garage and I thought there was a third because the corpse was lamenting his drat shotgun

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It's pretty funny that people use the ingame voice chat because it's obviously not a good set up by default. I was playing Squad and my group went to Yasnaya, and another group drives in. One of the other goons hears and and watches it from a little bit away in the north east, by the base of the mountain. I flank south of them and duck by a low external wall. I watch a dude go into a house, and rush him with my M16 while he's looting. After he dies, I leave the house and go back to my original spot but I hear him saying "yeah this guy just killed me, hes standing over my body looting me right now." So, wait at the wall again and see a guy try to rush the house, and gun him down before he gets inside. I end up wiping the entire squad, I think some of my teammates shoot at them, but never actually hit but they did give me some good intel.

Anyway, more important than in-game voice being hilarious and bad, there are lessons to be learned here. Bad intel is worse than no intel. Also, always use third person peak, I don't think I've ever hit V to go into first person except by accident. Thirdly, the M16 is awesome in burst, up to about medium range.

Bonus lesson: Audio is messed up during spectator, don't call shot location by sound for your buddies, unless you want them to turn around and get shot in the back of the head. Call visuals for them.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
In game chat is fine if you set it to team only but lol people are dumb.

Teamspeak or similar is much better, though.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
FINALLY won my 2nd game of solo in ~30 hours of playtime. This game is unforgiving. AR Suppressor and good positioning is the key to victory.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It is weird that it's on allspeak as default, I would have just assumed if someone hadn't told me.

Why they don't have separate keys for alltalk and team chat is beyond me.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I'm really enjoying this game. I played quite a bit of ARMA Battle Royale and a little H1Z1. ARMA is OK but the wait time to get into new games was painful. This game is much easier to get into games quickly. Only problems I've had is some rubber banding and minor lag.

Would like to see more content added and some weird design issues fixed. 7.62 revolver should not use same ammo as the AK...

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ehhh I'm fine with a little abstraction in those cases because it limits the potential to be spawn hosed, and part of why this game is good in the first place is it's got the gunplay you want from ArmA without any of the clunk.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I guess you could use the excuse that this is all an arena so the guns could be altered to match what is available, but that's just a handwave.

There isn't really a back story but I choose to take the Manhunt angle and figure it's for the amusement for an extremely wealthy pervert.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the guns have to be completely realistic, just like the laser/ghost barrier that kills you if you're in it and is on a timer

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the guns have to be completely realistic, just like the laser/ghost barrier that kills you if you're in it and is on a timer

It's as realistic as taking a Dacia off road at 60mph and living.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

As realistic as healing your bullet wounds because you drank six cans of Monster

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As realistic as healing your bullet wounds because you drank six cans of Monster

This is actually accurate

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Someone never saw Crank.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I like the shooting, I just wish the melee was a bit more solid. it seems like a lot of times I'll get some solid machete chops but they are just not hits.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I hope PU keeps up his zero tolerance rule for hate speech, they monitored every BR server and would permaban people for first time offenses. Got rid of a lot of lovely people.

Also the big thing that jumps out from watching streams, there hardly seems to be any soft cover. Arma 3 was littered with brick walls, soft hills, large rocks, and enough breaking of line of sight with bushes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It feels like the basically jammed out a height map and buildings to scatter around it and then generated tree noise, rather than trying to make a genuinely lived in place. Which you know, fair dos, they're probably not a giant studio or hilariously spergy like Bohemia, but it's one of the biggest things people are constantly pointing out in the games channels so hopefully they listen and change it up.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Concurred posted:

I hope PU keeps up his zero tolerance rule for hate speech, they monitored every BR server and would permaban people for first time offenses. Got rid of a lot of lovely people.
I hope so, I ran into some lovely racist fucks as a 4th joining a premade 3. It would be nice if there was a report button.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I turned off local voice chat because every game it was just people screaming racial slurs and I have no idea how they'd enforce it because its impossible to tell who is doing it as far as I can tell and no way to report anyone

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The only thing I learned from voice chat is China is #1.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I turned off local voice chat because every game it was just people screaming racial slurs and I have no idea how they'd enforce it because its impossible to tell who is doing it as far as I can tell and no way to report anyone

Yeah the in game voice was harder to monitor; they actively logged and parsed every Arma 3 game for hate speech.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I turn voice chat off in the plane then back on when I hit the ground. It can be fun to yell at people chasing you. Once time I got into a fight with a guy and he disappeared. I said "where the heck did you go?" over voice and he responded "oh god you can talk" From the volume I could tell he was directly on the other side of the wall inside the house. He told me I didn't want to do what I was about to do then he killed me in one shot through the window with a shotgun.

He was right..

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Won my first 4-person squad with completely random people I was matched with that went better than any goon groups (no offense) I've played with. We won with all 4 players still alive. Best part was taking out 3 different people in 'water town' who couldn't find a way out of the water. Worst part was when I got startled by a teammate running around a corner that I blasted point blank with a shotgun round, at least I was able to revive him.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
I also just won my first Squad game, only problem was, matchmaking never gave me teammates.

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
With only 28 teams, did anyone get a teammate?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's pretty normal to see between 26 and 31ish teams. Lots of people queue as 3

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006
Feels good man, but how come my points are so low

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ItheWelp87 posted:

Feels good man, but how come my points are so low

European exchange rate.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Dryb posted:

With only 28 teams, did anyone get a teammate?

28x4

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Ghillie suits aren't that great.

https://oddshot.tv/s/oSxKtP

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Just won my first Duo, now have wins in all three game modes. loving intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So I was having poo poo performance with this game and it was killing my buzz until I read somewhere that verifying the game cache fixes a lot of problems (particularly texture load in and poo poo like that). And yes it loving worked! Got top 30 for the first time and killed 4 dudes. Game rules

• Locked thread