Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

AweStriker posted:

First words of sentences and nouns. All nouns, no matter where they are.
Basically, think of it as writing some old-timey English where some Words get capitalized with an internal Logic that confuses modern Readers. Whereas modern English Speakers would only capitalize proper Nouns when they type out Posts or write Books or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So something I've been thinking: Is Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND some sort of pro-Communicator propaganda cartoon?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Junpei posted:

So something I've been thinking: Is Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND some sort of pro-Communicator propaganda cartoon?

Basically? Yes.

Tips posted:

TIP: BeyoBEYO
Category: Fiction

Full title: ''Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND''

An animated TV series broadcast by NDK (Nippon Denpa Kyokai) from July to September 2019, based on a radio drama of the same name. 13 episodes. Fans affectionately call it ''BeyoBEYO''. Kirara, a simple elementary schoolgirl, meets a mysterious stuffed animal named Yeti and awakens to her psychic powers to become Psychic Girl Beyond Comni, a ''magical girl'' so to speak who protects the townspeople from a dark secret society.

For some reason, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) is listed as part of the production committee in the credits. It aired in an ideal time slot of 6:30-7:00 PM, helping it gain a huge following of not just its target audience of female elementary school children, but also their parents, and even male adult anime fans with interest in the overwhelming movie-quality animation and direction. As a result, the main character Kirara was so universally beloved that she was dubbed ''Japan's little sister''.

Also of note is that the scenario writer for the series had only written two series in total before disappearing from the anime industry, perhaps out of a fully fulfilled creative urge.

Tips posted:

TIP: Beyonder
Category: Fiction

Full title: ''Esper Suit Beyonder''

An original animated TV series broadcast on NDK from July to September 2019. 13 episodes. The series depicts a boy gifted with the rare ability of ESP who becomes the Beyond Commander (Beyonder), the pilot of a robot driven by human thought, and follows his coming of age journey as he meets and battles many rivals with abilities similar to his own.

For some reason, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) is listed as part of the production committee in the credits. The multimedia marketing effort was successful with its collectible card-reading arcade game, figure sets, and comic versions released alongside the show's airing, creating a big sensation centered on the male elementary school demographic.

Also of note is that the scenario writer for the series had only written two series in total before disappearing from the anime industry, perhaps out of a fully fulfilled creative urge.

It never really gets brought up again, I think, but reading between the lines implies heavily that the two shows Beyo*BEYO and Beyonder were both created and written by the government, with them making up a writer that didn't really exist and that disappeared from the face of the earth after writing the two shows.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kinderszenen: Scenes from Childhood: 09/13/2030, 15:38

Watase showed no indications of what he was doing, and continued work as a rescue worker as he had before while secretly getting ready for that day. Dojima and Hiyama were the same. They met with Ukita as little as possible and just waited for September 16. ...Then something changed on September 13, three days before D-day. Watase was off-duty that day. It would be his final day off as a rescue worker. So he figured he'd spend the day walking around the city.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

(... I'll probably never be able to come back to this city again once the plan's been executed...)

That thought caused him to become sentimental.

Memories of the restaurant his parents had taken him to.

(This city's full of places with memories of my family...)

He normally wasn't conscious of it, but the city was brimming with nostalgia for him. It wasn't just memories of his family that he recalled.

There was the cafe where he'd broken up with his first girlfriend. There was the road he'd walked down with his last girlfriend hand in hand as they nestled close to one another. Watase was trying to cast aside all those memories and take his first step into a different life.

(... I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my reservations.)

But he still had to do it. He'd reached that conclusion long ago.

As the only survivor of the Kasasagi family, he would be disgracing his family's memory if he were to give up on his revenge before it even started. That's what he told himself.

(Looks like it's gonna rain...)

Since Watase hated getting rained on, he walked over to the nearest bus stop. A bus came by shortly afterwards. He got on to find that it was packed inside.

(Maybe I should have taken a cab...)

Watase stood between the other passengers as he thought that-- --only for his thoughts to be interrupted by the sound of students chatting in the seats nearby.

No, not in particular...
That's a little boring. ...I know! Let's pick out clothes for Natsuhiko this time!
Huh, no, you don't need to.
Why not? You've actually got some nice looks to start out with, so you can't let it go to waste by being plain all the time.
Whoa there... you don't want to make me your next dress up doll, do you?
Keeheehee, I guess you could look at it that way too.

The boy smiled wryly at the girl's playfulness. Thoughts crossed Watase's mind as he listened to their conversation.

(I feel like I've heard that conversation somewhere before... Where was it...?)

Watase thought about it, and then remembered.

Huh, no, you don't need to.
Why not? You've actually got some nice looks to start out with, so you can't let it go to waste by being plain all the time.
Is that your subtle way of complimenting yourself?
Ehe hee hee, I guess you could look at it that way too.

(... Man, hearing this sure brings me back.)

It was only then that Watase realized it.

(--They're Communicators!)

Watase gasped in surprise.

(poo poo... there's a chance a Communicator will read my mind if I open my heart to them.)

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

--Since they were students of Rokumei Academy, it wouldn't be surprising if they could use empathy.

(The members of Q said that ''Communicators are an abomination''... and that we have to put an end to this town's history. Hold on for just a few more days! Don't open your heart to anyone! I have to work under the assumption that this is a city full of monsters...!)

Watase thought that, then closed his mind.

(--Abandon your emotions and focus only on carrying out the plan. For failure will most certainly not be tolerated...)

Watase made that cold vow and kept to it as the next few days passed.

(Watase... is that what you were thinking when you looked at us? So deep down, are you really just a terrorist who hates Communicators?)

Those unendurable thoughts raged in Natsuhiko's mind as he continued looking through Watase's memories.

(This is it... next up are his memories of ''today''...)

Natsuhiko mentally prepared himself. He swore to accept the truth that lay in store for him no matter what it was--

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Baba Yaga: The Witch: 09/16/2030, 06:19

September 16, 2030, 6:19 AM. LABO's automatic disaster prevention system sent a rescue request to Sirius. ''An accident involving explosions of unknown origin has occurred within the facility. Please dispatch at once''. Watase and the others accepted that request and sped off towards LABO.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Excellent. Listen up, people! Countless people are trapped in this lab as we speak! And due to the nature of this facility, this will be no ordinary...

--Everything was going according to plan. Ukita had caused a commotion by detonating the bombs in the facility, while Watase, Dojima, and Hiyama had successfully invaded LABO without any resistance.

--Form two-man cells! Tachibana, you're with Moribe! Dojima, you're with Hiyama! Make sure to keep in constant contact with Team B! Don't forget this!

His four subordinates then rushed into the facility as soon as Watase finished giving out his orders. He then stayed on the surface floor for a little while afterwards, directing rescue efforts to make sure none of the other squad members became an obstacle to the plan.

Ukita had already told him that it wasn't anti-radiation medicine, but rather an anti-BC protective agent. There was no fear of radiation exposure, but administering themselves with AD would be necessary for their rescue of the Communicators.

(It'd be bad if we didn't prepare ourselves for every little thing that could go wrong.)

Watase thought that over.

Dojima: Kasasagi, get to the basement ASAP!
Hiyama: Hurry! There's no time!

They didn't call Watase ''Captain''. That was only natural. They weren't here for work today. Those two were his friends of many years who all talked to each other as equals without any regards for ranking when they were off the job.

Roger that, just wait right there!

This too was all going according to plan. Even if Commander Murakami had intercepted their transmission, he shouldn't have found it suspicious at all.

On their way, they were faced with the inconvenience of encountering the students they'd threatened and tied up yesterday (though how they'd broken free and made it there to begin with was its own question)-- --but the kids quickly retreated, leaving the three comrades to press onwards. They then carried the two unconscious high ranked researchers with them and headed on over to Area 3.

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Ukita was waiting for them in the surveillance room. He had been observing the situation in the facility from there as he guided the evacuation of the staff through the room's intercom.

Oh, you came at the perfect time! I just got a call from the surface confirming that all of the staff has evacuated, with the exception of those two.

By ''those two'', he was of course referring to the high ranked researchers that Dojima and Hiyama were carrying.

What's more, I just finished using Brain Cell to make the WX particle amplifier go haywire. This means that the bulkheads will be closed for a long time once the Case N has been declared. According to Brain Cell's calculations, the lockdown won't lift until '6:16 PM'.
Good... everything's going exactly as planned.

The rescue workers checked their gear. They stole the security cards they needed to break into Area N from the high ranked researchers. Watase, Dojima, and Hiyama each had one pistol. Furthermore, they had the jackhammer they planned to use to escape through the pipe, and a fire axe as a backup. Last, they had the ''tetryl bomb''-- the time bomb prepared by Q that held enough power to wipe out LABO in one blast.

Sure thing. Set it for 6:17 PM, right?

Watase then took out his PDA.

Now we can't turn back, huh?

Watase nodded quietly in response. The program could only activate the bomb-- there was no option to deactivate it. A sensor on the bomb would activate starting at 8:17 AM to prevent anyone from disarming it. No one would be able to stop it then.

We'll head on down to Area Zero and rescue the test subjects.
I'll stay here and keep an eye out to make sure nothing unexpected happens. Furthermore, the WX particles in Area N should exceed '4000 mSv' 20 minutes from now. The effects of AD will wear off when it exceeds that level... There's no time, hurry!
Right!

The three rescue workers left the jackhammer in Ukita's care and rushed out of the surveillance room.

A thick security gate soon came into view.

Dojima: So this is 'Area N', huh...
Hiyama: Those two are trapped just up ahead, right?
Right... so let's go.

Watase told his comrades that in a firm voice. Dojima and Hiyama had also lost loved ones in the Great Arson 16 years ago. They all knew accomplishing the plan wouldn't bring the dead back, but--

Back then, we couldn't save anyone... The time to atone for that has finally come.

Engraving their conviction upon their hearts, the three comrades entered Area N.

Probably because the WX particle energy levels weren't strong enough to affect the human body yet. A transparent tube-shaped elevator lay in the center of Area N. If they swiped the Level N cards into the terminal lying next to it and forced the high ranked researchers to perform the retinal scan authentication-- --then the path to B3's ''Area Zero'' would open.

(We have to hurry before these guys wake up!)

The three of them approached the elevator and started fiddling with the terminal. A computer voice started playing once they swiped the security cards through the slot.

Computer Voice: Authorized personnel retinal authentication required. Please bring your eye close to the sensor.

They forced the unconscious researchers' eyes open and brought them towards the scanner, just as instructed.

Computer Voice: --Area Zero administrator Shuuya Eriguchi retina confirmed. Area Zero administrator Ryoken Kashiwagi retina confirmed.

With the authentication complete, the three of them boarded the elevator.

Computer Voice: Elevator descending. Please administer AD immediately in the event that you have not done so.

The floor shook at the same time that announcement was made, and the elevator started descending. Once they reached the bottom, the three of them were greeted with-- --a most unexpected sight.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Wha... what the hell is this!?
Dojima: Something like this was under LABO all this time...?

It was a giant underground garden. Lighting that looked no different from the sunshine outside the facility illuminated their surroundings. And the ceiling and walls were a blue sky-- no, they were giant screens that projected images of the sky.

(Why would they build something like this...? ... No, now's not the time to wonder that. We have to hurry up and rescue the test subjects!)

Watase looked around the underground garden to find six rooms built into the walls. The first one read ''Relaxation Room''. The one next to it read ''Playroom''. The test subjects probably relaxed in these rooms. On the side were two unlabeled doors. They appeared to be vacant rooms. As for the two remaining doors-- One of them read ''Subject Y-II'' while the other read ''Subject N''.

'Subject Y-II'... this must be the room the subject is kept in!

Watase, Dojima, and Hiyama ran up to that door. There was another security slot next to it. When they slid a Level N card into it as a test, the door opened right up.

It required another retinal scan, so they forced the researchers to perform the necessary authentication again--

Wha... is this really Subject Y-II's room?

It looked just like a normal girl's room. Bookshelves, a single bed, knitting supplies, and a dresser... He'd been expecting to find something more along the lines of a prison cell, but it looked like they gave the test subjects fairly decent accommodations. From what he could tell, it appeared that Subject Y-II was a young girl on the verge of adulthood. But the person in question-- was nowhere to be found.

Impossible... no one's here!?

He looked around to discover that there was a security slot by the door on the room's side as well. He couldn't imagine that the test subjects were given security cards, so she probably couldn't have escaped on her own.

Dojima: Were we tricked!?
Hiyama: Why... by whom!?
Dojima: Don't tell me Mr. Ukita's intel was fake--
Hold on, guys! There's no way that could be true!

Watase looked at the two researchers.

What if these guys realized something was up and already let the test subjects escape or hid them away...!?
Dojima: Then we're in deep poo poo! That would mean we came all this way for nothing! Let's find them!

The three of them quickly left the room. But even after searching the Playroom, Relaxation room, and even the vacant rooms, they still hadn't found neither hide nor hair of the test subject.

Wait... what if it's the same with Subject N!?

If they didn't find either of the test subjects, then the plan would have hit a serious snag. The three of them headed for Subject N's room.

Eriguchi: ...Ugh... khh...!
Kashiwagi: Is... isn't this...!?

The researchers that Dojima and Hiyama were carrying woke up.

!!

The three of them gasped. The researchers quickly started questioning them.

Eriguchi: Who... who in the world are you people!?
...We're rescue workers.
Eriguchi: Rescue workers, you say...? N-no, but-- isn't this Area Zero!?
Kashiwagi: What the hell!? What's going on!? How did rescue workers get all the way down here!?

Watase resolved himself in an instant after hearing their onslaught of questions.

(No choice... I didn't want to do this, but...!)

Shut up! Say another word and I'll shoot!
Eriguchi: Wha-!?
While we are rescue workers, we're also members of a certain organization. 'Q'-- I'm sure you've heard that name at least once or twice, yeah?

The researchers' faces froze when they heard that name.

Eriguchi: D... don't tell me...!
Kashiwagi: Were all those bombings your doing!?
Bingo. Our goal is to take the test subjects away from here. We won't hurt you so long as you don't get in our way.
Eriguchi: T... take them away!? Impossible! Are you saying you're going to take the Communicator inside there out of this facility!?
Bingo again. That way, the whole world will learn about what you guys have been up to here.
Eriguchi: Stop! Do you people understand what it is you're trying to do!? The one in there is no ordinary Communicator! She's a genuine monster!
What the hell? You think you can scare us with weak little poo poo like that?
Eriguchi: She'll amplify your malice--
Dumbass. We've all taken AD. If you're trying to buy time, don't even bother! Just hurry up and open the drat door!
Eriguchi: But--!

The researcher's words were interrupted by a gunshot. Watase had shot the ceiling to intimidate the man.

I don't have all day to chat with you. Give me a hard time again and it won't be a warning shot next time.
Eriguchi: ...

Watase ignored the looks of fear that had risen to the men's faces and spoke to Dojima and Hiyama.

Dojima, Hiyama, use their eyes to perform the retinal scan. If they give you any lip, then simply take their eyes... got it?

Watase ordered Dojima and Hiyama in the most intimidating manner he could think of.

Dojima: Roger. They probably don't even need to be attached to open the door anyway.
Hiyama: All right guys, haul your asses over here!
Eriguchi: St-stop it! What are you doing!?
Kashiwagi: At least... at least give us some AD! If you don't, we'll--
Hiyama: Quit wasting time already! Do you -want- us to shoot you!?

Dojima and Hiyama restrained the struggling researchers and forced them to complete the retinal authentication.

At the same time the researcher let out that scream--

It was as if they'd opened the doors to a flowerbed--

(What...!?)

But what they found on the other side-- --was, of course, no flowerbed.

Watase was once again at a loss for words.

Dojima: What... the... hell...!?

It was such a bizarre sight. In the middle of that floral scented room filled with tons of stuffed animals... Was a girl hanging from the ceiling. She was bound hand to foot like some sort of feral beast. The floral scent was being emitted by an aromatic air freshener lying in the corner of the room. The girl, intoxicated by that scent, stared off blankly into space.

Is this girl... Subject N...!?

(She's the girl who died by the cargo lift...!)

(But what's with those restraints--!? Yuuri was never put into anything like that, right!? So why only this girl...!?)

A mysterious emotion welled up within him. It wasn't sympathy for Subject N. It was a vague yet overwhelming ''fear''.

(... It can't be... Don't tell me this girl really...!)

He felt like he was approaching the unthinkable core at the heart of everything. But the memory continued to play out before Natsuhiko without any heed to his feelings.

H-hey...?

The girl looked at Watase in response. But Watase felt his body temperature drop the moment he looked into her hollow eyes. Dull eyes that had lost all emotion. The fear he felt was as if he had gazed into a forbidden abyss--

What... in God's name is this!?
Hiyama: What in the hell did you bastards do to this girl!?
The silent treatment, huh... Fine, be that way! Dojima, keep an eye on them! Hiyama, help me get her out of these restraints!
Dojima & Hiyama: Y-yeah!

Dojima and Hiyama came back to their senses and sprung into action. Dojima pushed the researchers against the walls outside the room. He then fixed the door's opening in a way so that it wouldn't close again. In the meantime, Watase and Hiyama tried releasing the girl from her restraints. It took some effort, but they succeeded in removing the girl's bindings.

Watase and Hiyama took Subject N out of her room. But she showed no reaction at all. In fact, it was like she didn't even realize anyone was speaking to her.

(Has her mind... broken? Don't tell me it was due to all the human experimentation they put her through!?)

Intense rage filled Watase's heart. No matter the circumstances, this was no way no treat such a frail girl!

Hey, listen up, you bastards! We're taking this girl with us! Once the world learns about her, you sons of bitches are done for! Face the truth of your sins as the law sees fit to punish you!

But the researchers didn't respond. They were muttering something in a faint voice.

Eriguchi: Done for... -we're- done for, huh... Everything will be done for... Thanks to you...
Kashiwagi: It's too late... without AD, we're...
Eriguchi: A rescue... You dare to call this a rescue when you don't even know a drat thing...?
(... What's with these guys?)

Something felt off to Watase. The researchers were acting weird.

Dojima: ...Hey? Are you listening!?

Dojima walked over to the researchers with the gun in his hand--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Eriguchi: --You damned fools! You don't know just how terrifying N is!!

One of the researchers became enraged and lunged at Dojima.

Dojima: Wha-!?

Dojima frantically tried to counterattack. But the researcher grabbed his arm and tried to steal his gun.

Stop it! What are you doing!?
Eriguchi: What are -you- doing!? You call this a resouel? You hypocrites! You really think you're in the right!? Give me the gun! If she's going to escape to the outside world, then I'd rather end this right here and now--!!
Dojima: S-stop it! Look out!!

Just as Dojima shouted that--

Eriguchi: Kah...

Blood spouted out of the hole in the researcher's chest, who then pitched forward and fell to the floor.

...Ah...

Everyone in the room stood rooted in place as if they were frozen. Eventually, the other researcher broke the silence with a shrill scream.

Kashiwagi: AAAAAAAAAAAAH! He's dead! You killed him! Murderer!! Murderer!!
Dojima: N-no! That was an accident--!
Kashiwagi: What rescue worker kills someone!? This is revenge for Eriguchi! Die with him!
Dojima: Stop-- ghh!

The researcher sprung at Dojima and strangled him while he was still standing. Watase watched that scene, dumbfounded.

(Wh-what's going on... What's up with these guys...!? Why'd they change so suddenly!? Wait... could the effects of the ''malice'' have already taken hold of them!? In this short amount of time--!?)

His confused thoughts were interrupted by Dojima's pained cries.

Dojima: Kah... haah... Kasasagi... Hiyama... he... lp...
Hiyama: !!

Hiyama gasped and took out his gun.

Hiyama: Let go of Mr. Dojima!!

But when he issued that threat-- The researcher turned right around towards Hiyama and lunged for him.

Hiyama: !!

Hiyama's body shuddered at that moment,

Kashiwagi: ...
Hiyama: Ah...

Kashiwagi: Y-you bastards have... Urgh!

And with that, he collapsed onto the floor with a thud.

Kashiwagi: ... Our... noble goal... The monster... must not... ...

The researcher muttered those last incomprehensible words, then lost his strength. Hiyama was muttering to himself in shock.

Hiyama: Huh... huh? I... I... killed him...?
C... calm down, Hiyama...! We don't know for sure that he's dead...!

Watase ran over to the researchers and performed CPR. But their life signs grew weaker with each passing moment. Being a certified first-aid practitioner, Watase could tell right away-- that they were beyond help.

...It's no use... They're already...

Watase muttered this as his shoulders slumped.

Hiyama: Goddammit... why did this have to happen...!?

Hiyama sounded like he was on the verge of tears. Watase also felt on the verge of collapse from his guilt, but then--

Our mission... isn't over yet.

They couldn't stay here. The WX particle energy levels in Area N were probably rising at that very moment. They really didn't have any time. Watase looked to Subject N as he thought that,

...!

--Had she really hated those researchers that much?--

N-no, more importantly... we need to hurry and get this girl out of here. Oh right, and we... we mustn't forget to plant the bomb.
Dojima: R... right.

The three of them planted the tetryl bomb in Subject N's room, then took her with them and left.

He was worried that the retina of someone half dead wouldn't work, but the elevator operated without any issues.

Should we... take these guys up with us?
Dojima: ...Let's not. They're already beyond help...

Watase nodded with depression in his heart. Their supposedly foolproof plan had already begun to fall completely apart--

(Wha... what happened after this...!?)

At any rate, he'd confirmed that the bomb had indeed been set.

There were only two hours left in real time until then--!

(C-calm down...! The bomb's a big problem, true, but... It shouldn't be much longer until I see when Watase and I encountered each other.)

(Is the reason for that hidden in the memories after this...!?)

Natsuhiko was beginning to have a sneaking suspicion regarding the cause. But he moved on to the next memory, attempting to turn that suspicion into a certainty.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

AweStriker posted:

First words of sentences and nouns. All nouns, no matter where they are.

Except for pronouns, except except when that pronoun is directly addressing a person or group of people formally, e.g. "Excuse me Sir, I heard that You went to the Sportsball Yesterday" vs. "Hey man, how was the Sportsball Yesterday?"

e: oh jesus there's our rage virus. Wonder where she came from?

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 2, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...Subject N is a bit terrifying. Eep.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Die Zauberflöte: The Magic Flute: 09/16/2030, 07:14

The reading was at ''4182 mSv''-- past the first safety standard!

(poo poo! We spent too much time down below!)

(!!)

But at that moment, he felt like something had pierced his mind.

And a second later, various scenes flashed through his brain.

All the memories from the day Ukita had told him the truth behind the Great Rokumei City Arson to that very moment appeared before him--

--and then disappeared.

A strange emotion welled up from the bottom of his heart at the same time. An emotion that was like a mix of impatience, discomfort, and rage.

(...!)

When he did, she looked back at him--

--and let out a laugh like the cry of a strange bird. (click me!)

Wha...!?

Intense shivers ran down Watase's spine. The shivers only got worse as he continued to look at Subject N.

(What is this emotion...!?)

It was as if the discomfort inside them were oozing out...! Watase spoke up to shake off the shivers.

L-let's go! We have to regroup with Mr. Ukita!
Dojima: R... right.

Dojima replied in a faint voice. The group then left Area N with Subject N in tow.

Automatic PA: --A 'Case N' has just been detected. In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Looking down all gates and bulkheads.

The group opened the closed security gates with the cards they'd stolen from the high ranked researchers and headed for the surveillance room.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

You're late! Did something happen to you three!?
N-no... we're okay for now, but...

He'd managed to conceal the chills he'd been feeling earlier for the time being.

Really...?

Ukita looked at Watase with suspicion. His gaze really rubbed Watase the wrong way.

I said we're okay, didn't I? More importantly-- We're in big trouble! There was only one test subject in Area Zero!
What!?
We didn't spot any signs of Y-II! Do you know where she is!?
Mmm... she might be in Area 5 in that case. According to my investigation, there's a secret room of sorts hidden in the outer ring on B1 in Area 5. It appears to be a shelter used for emergencies. Maybe she's--

Ukita suddenly stopped as a look of confused realization crossed his face.

...? Hold on a minute. What happened to those researchers you had with you?

The three comrades couldn't answer. Ukita furrowed his eyebrows and scanned all of them. His face then froze when he caught sight of the spurt of blood that'd stained Dojima's uniform.

...H-hey! What happened down in Area Zero!? What happened to the two researchers!?

Dojima and Hiyama wrung out their voices and answered Ukita's shouts.

Dojima: We... we killed them.
Hiyama: Right outside Subject N's room...
Wh-what!?

Ukita glared at Watase in shock.

Captain Kasasagi, this isn't what you promised! You told me there'd be no casualties, remember!?
N-no... it was an accident.
An accident!? Are you saying those two died in an accident!?

Ukita, full with indignation, continued to press Watase.

Give me an honest answer, Captain Kasasagi! Could it be-- that you killed those two intentionally!?
H-hold on! Calm down, Mr. Ukita!
You said you wouldn't hurt anyone, right!? Was that a lie!? If you're saying it was, then the three of you must--

Ukita reached out for the pistol in Watase's hands. --He's going to steal it! Watase's body immediately sprung into action the exact moment he had that thought. Watase raised the pistol and swung it down on the back of Ukita's head.

! Wh... y...?

Ukita lost consciousness and collapsed to the floor. Watase came back to his senses and spoke up.

...I'm sorry, Mr. Ukita. It's too late... for us to turn back.

None of them had wished for things to turn out the way they did. But-- what was done was done. Dojima called out in a worn-out voice.

Dojima: ...Now that things have come to this... what do we do, Kasasagi...?
...We have to prepare everything we need to escape before Mr. Ukita wakes up.

Since there was another card in his pocket for some reason, Watase took that too.

You guys take the equipment and carry it to B1.
Hiyama: What do we do about Subject Y-II?

There was no way they could leave her behind.

...I'll go look for her.
Dojima: Are you serious!? All by yourself!?
There's no other choice! I'll leave the rest to you guys! If I'm not back in 20 minutes, go on without me!

Watase said that and rushed out of the surveillance room.

He thought as he kept on running.

(Subject Y-II has to be in Area 5... If I can just find her, then the plan will succeed...! There may have been some casualties...)

(Besides, that wasn't their only sin. They're also the bastards who indirectly caused the fire 16 years ago. So... that was... Right, that was retribution. Those bastards deserved to die...!)

Watase thought that in an attempt to justify his and his comrades' actions.

(''Deserved to die''...!? That might be true, but-- Were they the only ones responsible for causing the fire 16 years ago? They're not the ones who directly caused it, right...? ... ... ...Huh!? What the hell was I just thinking? ''The ones who directly caused it''...!?)

His mind was torn up by chaos, and he couldn't stop his thoughts. Even Watase himself didn't really know what he'd been thinking.

Haah, haah...

Watase had nigh-superhuman stamina, yet he was out of breath. His heart was pounding harder than normal, and he couldn't catch his breath at all.

(... Wh- where's Subject Y- II...!?)

He blindly searched around and soon spotted a strange object.

(Is this the ''emergency shelter'' that Mr. Ukita was talking about!?)

Watase ran over to it and pounded on the wall.

(Please be in here!)

It wasn't long before the wall opened and a door appeared--

...!?

She looked confused the moment she saw Watase. Watase spoke to her in the calmest voice he could muster.

Finally found you... You're a person of interest to this lab, right?
Who... who are you?
I'm a rescue worker. I'm here to save you guys.

When Watase said that-- the girl's face froze.

You're... with Q!?

!!

Watase was shocked to hear that. His heart trembled like crazy as his skin broke out in goosebumps. He'd only just met her. So the only way the girl could have known what he really was--

Hey... did you cheat and use BC? To read my mind?

An intense, unpleasant feeling welled up in his heart. He'd never imagined he'd feel this uncomfortable about having his mind read.

The girl glared at Watase. She had the face of an innocent girl-- but just looking at it irritated Watase for some reason.

...Well, whatever. You're coming with me.

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Watase said that and grabbed the girl by the arm.

N-no! Stop it!
Please don't struggle! I won't have to get violent as long as you behave!

However, the girl didn't stop struggling even after Watase shouted that.

(It won't be good if she looks into my mind again...! If she finds out that we killed two men, we won't be able to keep her in line!)

--He had two ampules of AD that'd been supplied to him by members of LABO.

(That's right... she shouldn't be able to use BC if I administer this to her--!)

Watase quickly took an AD out of his pocket and injected it into the back of the girl's neck.

Oww!

The girl screamed. She then looked like she was concentrating hard on something-- but soon stopped and gasped.

Wh-why...

She really had been trying to use BC. Watase chose that moment to cut in.

I injected you with a BC inhibitor. Your abilities won't work on me now.
No way...!

The girl's face filled with despair, and she tried to shake off Watase's grip. But Watase put her into a sleeper hold so she couldn't get away.

Ugh...

The girl quickly lost consciousness. Her body went limp. It hadn't hurt Watase's heart at all to do that. It was better to knock her unconscious than to let her keep struggling.

(I have to regroup with Dojima and Hiyama...)

Watase thought that as he picked the girl up and started walking off.

A most peculiar thought entered his mind.

(Everything will end happily ever after once we successfully get the test subjects out of here?)

That thought echoed in Watase's brain like an auditory hallucination. It was like the voice of a totally different person--

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

The voice echoed in Watase's head again once he let out that hollow sound of confusion.

(... Hey, you forget already? The LABO researchers weren't the bastards responsible for causing the Great Arson 16 years ago... It was the ''Communicators'', remember?)
...!

Watase was shocked at his own thoughts. But the repulsive thoughts kept coming one after another and polluted Watase's mind.

(Aren't they both mind-corrupting monsters just like Subject A? Those high ranked researchers changed so drastically in the blink of an eye. All because of one of them. So what is it that I want to do to those two...?)
Th-that's obvious... I'm going to get these girls out of here!

Watase raised his voice as if he were trying to oppose his own thoughts.

Even if they are responsible for my family's deaths, I didn't come all this way just to...!
(No, try listening to what your mind is telling you. That's not what I really want to do, is it? What I really want to do is-- Avenge my family-- By killing the Communicators, right?)
!!
(I've followed Mr. Ukita's and Q's instructions faithfully up to this point... ... but is that what I really want? Remember the night of that fire. Remember how you lost everything...!)

His mind warped little by little. His consciousness was consumed with hatred. A violent urge to kill the girl in his arms welled up within him--!

B-but... what would killing this girl here accomplish!? I won't be able to complete my mission that way! That'd mean betraying Mr. Ukita, Dojima, and Hiyama, wouldn't it!?
(The mission, huh... well, that's a fair point. If you don't escape from here with the test subjects after all the effort that went into preparing for this day, then you might as well have never come at all. That's what you're thinking, right? But hey, how about this...? You can't kill the test subjects, but nothing's stopping you from killing any other Communicators, is there?)
Wha...!
(You're a rescue worker-- no poo poo you're opposed to the idea of killing humans. But here's the thing: Communicators ain't human. They're monsters. You know what a Communicator is? A mind-devouring monster that looks into humans' heads. That's what. Leave them to their devices and they could end up taking the lives of countless others. Think about it for a sec... Can you really say you've achieved revenge unless you slaughter a Communicator or two? Wataru's spirit's never gonna find peace otherwise!)
--!!!

And when he heard the voice say that-- --Watase's hesitation and reluctance completely vanished.

You're right... I've had the wrong idea this whole time. I can't say I've fulfilled my revenge unless I kill the Communicators...!

Then that meant there were probably Communicators he had to kill here that weren't test subjects.

(--That's right. There -are- other Communicators in this facility right now.)

(I'll get my revenge on them, and then I can take all the time I want escaping, can't I...?)

...only to hear voices far off in the distance.

Let's go, Mashiro!
...Yeah!

Watase quickly turned around--

(Oh... what do you know. drat perfect timing, if I do say so myself.)

Watase tossed the girl aside. He then gripped his gun tightly and walked towards the students.

Watase aimed his gun right at them-- And pulled the trigger.

Huh!? What... is this...!? Agh, no... it burns, it hurts... Natsuhiko...!
Are you okay, Mashiro!? I'll treat it right--

Watase then spoke as the students panicked.

...Guess it's harder to hit a moving target than you'd think.

We meet again, Communicator.

Intense passion filled his heart.

--After that, Watase's thoughts became incoherent.

Natsuhiko was totally speechless. Watase's distorted mind was swirling with tremendous hatred and killing intent. The visions of the memories floating about were likewise warped, ruined, and teeming with malice.

(Isn't this-- the malice I sensed back then!? The malice from when I erased Watase's memories--!)

----Watase's mind was devoted to hatred towards Communicators.

Resentment, indignation, lament, murderous rage. All sorts of negative emotions.

Natsuhiko even felt Watase's unadulterated emotions that could be neither verbalized, nor visualized--

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So Subject N made Watase go apeshit?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Junpei posted:

So Subject N made Watase go apeshit?

No junpei he just had some really bad coffe that day.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Nah he just awoke to the TRUTH.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The more interesting implication here is that Q is actually run by a Communicator, which tbh is what I was expecting. Ukita's mind is probably warped by her as well. Course I have no idea how he managed to get her in and out of the facility, but details I suppose. She certainly got out, that faint floral smell was there when he talked to Watase.

She's probably survivor number 2 from that gas explosion at the apartment, which coincides with Kazami's account of her sister's death and the reason Kazami's close to Jun. Subject N is Nagisa and she was prob kidnapped by LABO after the fire. Which she probably started given how this is going.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 2, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

:lol:

SSNeoman posted:

The more interesting implication here is that Q is actually run by a Communicator, which tbh is what I was expecting. Ukita's mind is probably warped by her as well. Course I have no idea how he managed to get her in and out of the facility, but details I suppose. She certainly got out, that faint floral smell was there when he talked to Watase.
I'm not actually so sure about that. I think N warped Watase's memories literally just now (e: well, "now" as in what we're seeing just now). In the memories the floral scent also coincided with the static that always indicates manipulation.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 2, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Forgive my stilted typing, I'm trying to do an effort post with one arm.

SSNeoman posted:

No he didn't. She edited memories, but all the edits took place in the flower-scented room.

So here is my speculation:

1. Q isn't behind Ukita; he got memory-manipulated into this by N. Yuuri was expecting the real Q to help her escape, but Watase being with fake-Q had no idea about the plan. Ukita did everything wrong.
2. Ena is with real-Q and was working with Tenkawa to free Yuuri. Somehow she will have retinal access to Area Zero, maybe some Academy staff work secretly for LABO as spies/observers.
3. Dead girl by lift is false memory just like dead Yuuri was for Watase, and N is still alive.
4. N and Salyu will have climactic confrontation because Salyu has no emotion. Thus cementing Natsuhiko as most do-nothing protagonist.
5. Watase will sacrifice himself to get rid of bomb somehow.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

CirclMastr posted:

5. Watase will sacrifice himself to get rid of bomb somehow.

I got it! He'll take the bomb to the end of the drainage pipe, far away enough from LABO where it won't kill anyone else.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

No the dead girl by the lift is Nagisa. She's just "dead" because she's using BC.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ONCE AGAIN: 09/16/2030, 16:09

Natsuhiko immediately severed his connection to Watase's mind.

!!

Watase's body twitched and he absentmindedly hung his head. When Natsuhiko returned to reality, Yuuri raised her voice in surprise.

H-Hikorin!? Are you okay!?

Natsuhiko couldn't answer that question.

(Wha... what the hell was that just now...!?)

The last of Watase's memories that Natsuhiko saw had clearly gone mad at the final stage. All of Watase's thoughts had been logically sound until then, and yet they'd suddenly gone erratically incoherent. And it couldn't be something as simple as him being mentally driven into a corner due to the unforeseen deaths in his plan. Could a transfiguration so sudden... even happen normally?

(No, of course not! There has to be some sort of reason Watase went mad!)

the violent intentions within Watase suddenly arose. It was almost like Watase's personality had been rewritten.

(Could that have been-- --the same thing that Communicator A did 16 years ago!?)

(The same phenomenon happened here inside this facility!?)

Natsuhiko's thought process went into overdrive.

(Everyone who came into contact with Subject N became completely deranged, such as the high ranked researchers and Watase.)

(If you think about it normally, it's strange, but--)

If Subject N spread around malicious telepathy in the same way Communicator A did, then everything made sense.

(... No, wait a second! There's something off about that assumption!)

(If he didn't hear any of her telepathy, then it should be impossible for her emotions to have propagated to him!)

Watase unconsciously fell into an abnormal state of mind. Why would that happen--!? As Natsuhiko pondered that point, he recalled something he had just seen in Watase's memory.

...visions of Watase's past flickered in the back of his mind for a second.

(I... I know of a phenomenon quite similar to that!)

(--used Senses Sympathy on Watase!!)

--That was the only possibility he could think of.

(The ''malice contagion'' isn't spread through telepathy at all! It's spread through Senses Sympathy! Subject N was a Communicator who was incarcerated here in LABO just like Yuuri. It wouldn't be surprising at all if her ability was at the same level!)

But Senses Sympathy shouldn't be able to connect several humans at the same time. If several humans were to connect at the same time, their multiple perspectives and senses would likely blend together into an incomprehensible mess.

(They weren't being manipulated... It was like their very personalities were warped...)

As he pondered to himself, Natsuhiko recalled his mother's words.

The true form of the ''malice contagion'' phenomenon was--!

(No way... it can't be...! Watase... and everyone else with him... Had their memories rewritten by Subject N!?)

That conclusion hit Natsuhiko like lightning.

(Subject N took the memories of all the people she came in contact with... and rewrote them with memories full of malice!?)

But even if those memories were a forgery, to Watase, they were the truth. And Natsuhiko had read those malice-filled memories.

(Which means right now, Watase's...?)

He was still hanging his head. A shadow was cast on his face, obscuring his expression.

C-Captain Kasasagi...?

Watase did not answer. Natsuhiko's heart started pounding like an alarm bell.

(Crap...! Watase's got his memories from back then...!)
N-no way...!

Having noticed the anomaly, Yuuri spoke up fearfully-- upon which, Watase started muttering.

...I see... Now I remember everything...

With an earth-rattling voice, Watase slowly looked up. His eyes were filled with hatred.

...You've sure done it now, kids.
Captain Kasasagi!!

Natsuhiko quickly shouted and readied the gun. But Watase merely spoke up defiantly.

What, gonna shoot me?
...!
Sure, you might pride yourself in destroying minds, but do you have what it takes to destroy bodies?
Ugh, agh...

Natsuhiko held Yuuri's trembling hand and tried to shoot the gun with his free hand, but--

(Dammit, why...! Why can't I shoot him!?)

His finger froze on the trigger. Even though a mere centimeter of movement would end the life of the ''enemy'' in front of him.

...You can't, can you, Communicator? It's 'cause that's what humans do. We humans don't have abilities like your ilk. That's why we brought guns. Or else we'd have no hope of winning against monsters like you.

Watase spoke menacingly as he sidled up to them.

(This is bad...! I have to dive into his mind once more and destroy his memory again!)

But the moment Natsuhiko formulated that plan, Yuuri's telepathy echoed inside his head.

{You can't, Hikorin! You're only going to repeat the same mistakes! All that girl-- all Subject N did was distort Captain Kasasagi's memories into a mess! You need to repair them! Repair them back to their original form!}

In a split second, that message flowed through Natsuhiko's brain.

(No way!? Is it even possible to repair those memories while exposed to that malice!?)

But Natsuhiko felt like the truth would slip further away from him if he did erase Watase's memories again.

...well then. Let it not be said that Watase isn't badass. Now, we have a decision to make.

VOTING

We're going to be doing voting a bit differently this time around. In Route Double, we don't have any blue paths, so there's no real reason to make specific decisions for the long term. Instead, we're just going to act like we've already gone through this route and unlocked Answer Mode, which allows us to see which answers lead to different paths, and vote between those when decisions come up.

In this case, we have two options for you to pick between: Favor Watase, or favor Natsuhiko and Yuuri. What will those answers do? Well, that'd just spoil the fun, right?

We're jumping right into things with a red branch. Death awaits. Choose wisely.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Watase did nothing wrong.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Favor our boy Watase. Now that we know Subject N did some hanky panky with his mind, we need him alive to fix it.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Go with Watase.

Gotta wonder, though. If Subject N's been running around infecting everyone, why leave Yuuri/Natsuhiko/Mashiro alone?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Favor Watase

Once we get him back into shape all should be well.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Watase is a better protagonist than Natsuhiko, and Yuuri is just a ghost after all.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I'm going with favor Natsuhiko and Yuuri. I just finished reading all of this and it is quite interesting.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
We should favor Watase because he's actually a pretty cool guy when he's not being controlled by the rage virus.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

BenRGamer posted:

Go with Watase.

Gotta wonder, though. If Subject N's been running around infecting everyone, why leave Yuuri/Natsuhiko/Mashiro alone?

The actual answer is pretty simple: consider what Yuuri said about the range of Senses Sympathy prior to the melt effect.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Favor Watase. We need him.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's fairly obvious that wiping memories is only going to stave off the inevitable (even so it's rather tempting because WATASEMANIA) so let's Favor Watase.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, so does Natsuhiko actually remember being menaced by Watase, or is that another fake memory? It seems real. Which means that maybe Subject N has been sneaking out through Ukita for a while now.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Glazius posted:

Okay, so does Natsuhiko actually remember being menaced by Watase, or is that another fake memory? It seems real. Which means that maybe Subject N has been sneaking out through Ukita for a while now.

Assume that memories without static are real.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
A vote for Watase is a vote for Natsuhiko probably not getting exploded with terrorist martial arts.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
It's one thing repairing memories when you know how they went, but 'repairing' a memory you don't know? That's just brainwashing. That's just proving Watase right. Vote Natsuhiko and shoot Watase.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Watase did nothing wrong and y'all better believe I'm smug as hell right now :colbert: although we still haven't seen what killed Dojima and the other group of researchers

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TheMcD posted:

In this case, we have two options for you to pick between: Favor Watase, or favor Natsuhiko and Yuuri. What will those answers do? Well, that'd just spoil the fun, right?

We're jumping right into things with a red branch. Death awaits. Choose wisely.[/i]

Isn't there a third option to have all of them at the same value?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, calling the vote here. Preliminary count is Watase: Lots, Natsuhiko and Yuuri: Not lots. Update either today or tomorrow.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

whitehelm posted:

Isn't there a third option to have all of them at the same value?

Off the top of my head, that results in one of the two options given.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ONCE AGAIN: 09/16/2030, 16:09 - PART 2

Well, the people have spoken.

code:
Watase:          IIIIIIIIII
Natsuhiko/Yuuri: II
And the people said ''Watase''. Let's watch what happens.

Natsuhiko-- --dove into Watase's memories once more.

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

(I don't even know which parts of Watase's memories were distorted to begin with!)

Natsuhiko found himself at a loss when faced with all of Watase's memories. But that moment, he heard Yuuri's voice once more.

{Whenever a Senses Sympathy user falsifies a memory, part of their mind slips into it! And as a result, an anomaly should appear within the distorted memories! You've experienced such anomalies yourself, haven't you!?}

Now that she mentioned it, he remembered.

(--That's right. When Yuuri repaired my memory--)

--Natsuhiko often saw ''something impossible''.

(It was the same way when I manipulated Watase's memory... Watase's digital watch changed into my wristwatch.)

In that case, there should be a recurring anomaly within the memories of Watase's that he had seen.

(Try to remember! What were the odd points, the bizarre parts, the impossible memories!?)

Natsuhiko thought desperately-- and then finally remembered.

(That's it! Within Watase's memories-- There was often this inexplicable ''floral scent'' drifting through the air!)

Now that he thought about it, that fragrance was flagrantly suspicious.

It appeared several times within Watase's memories-- Only because the floral-scented memories were the ones falsified by Subject N!

(What drove Watase's mind to madness was hatred against Communicators...)

(So if I just send emotions into Watase's mind to counteract that hatred--!)

That might possibly return Watase back to his original self! The moment Natsuhiko came to that realization, he became enlightened to his path.

Yuuri rewound Natsuhiko's memory over and over to repair his memory--

{And now, I'll do it for Watase...}

{And then I'll save him from the malice!}

--Natsuhiko made his brave decision. To save his partner from the malice that possessed him. His search criteria were ''floral scented memories'', and ''memories that contributed to Communicator hatred''. If Natsuhiko repaired all of those memories, then Watase would surely return to normal!

{Watase...! I'll keep rewinding time for you-- Until all the malice has been vanquished from your mind!!}

...hm? What's this, then?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay. That's cool. Excellent way to introduce a new mechanic.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.
This looks cool. Let me guess: We have to locate the anomaly, then use SSS choices to bring the memory to it's original state?

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Oh, dang, checking back, Jun and Ukita never said that they smelled flowers right now, they said that the flower smell had just disappeared. Even if it was seconds ago, it was still past tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh! Floral scent as a marker actually... makes a surprising amount of sense?

I'm worried that I've only deluded myself into thinking I understand.

• Locked thread