Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Completely forgot that I owned GOG version (gold) so I went ahead and installed that one and used WSGF fix for 1920x1080 resolution and FOV. Let's give it a try. Thanks for the tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
How do people usually make their midi tracks for wads and such? Can I cool and make one too? I haven't got a midi keyboard but I got a lot of patience.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uncle Kitchener posted:

How do people usually make their midi tracks for wads and such? Can I cool and make one too? I haven't got a midi keyboard but I got a lot of patience.

ACID Music Studio is probably the easiest tool to use for a beginner to creating MIDI tracks. You'll need to have a decent idea of how to write/play music in general though.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

fishmech posted:

ACID Music Studio is probably the easiest tool to use for a beginner to creating MIDI tracks. You'll need to have a decent idea of how to write/play music in general though.

I've played piano and I have a decent understanding of music theory, so I can write and read sheets. I just never really ventured outside of Bosco Coil or Famitracker, but the problem with those is that they don't do midi well at all and I don't understand general Midi well. I just know it's stuff I heard back in the 90s from DOS games and that's it.

edit: How do you get the Doom-ish Midi sound? Is it channel and device dependent or do all Midi files sound the same if you're using the right instruments?

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 2, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Uncle Kitchener posted:

edit: How do you get the Doom-ish Midi sound? Is it channel and device dependent or do all Midi files sound the same if you're using the right instruments?
Doom was composed against a Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 (not sure if mkII or not), so if you really need that specific sound, you'd probably need one of those. You can use a USB-to-MIDI cable to hook it up to your computer, I think?

Alternatively, Roland Sound Canvas VA includes an SC-55 mode, though it's not 100% accurate; still, it's close. (It's also $125, but probably easier to get working on modern systems than the actual hardware - which costs about as much on eBay - and lets you use it as an SC-88, an SC-88 Pro, and an SC-8820 as well.)

Another alternative, just use BASSMIDI (or your soundfont-using software of choice) and Patch93's SC-55 soundfont, which is pretty accurate. (And it's free!)

Last option: just use the built-in Microsoft GS synth. It's kinda lovely, has low sample quality, lacks chorus and reverb, but it is based on the SC-55, so it's still better than nothing.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Shadow Hog posted:

Doom was composed against a Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 (not sure if mkII or not), so if you really need that specific sound, you'd probably need one of those. You can use a USB-to-MIDI cable to hook it up to your computer, I think?

Alternatively, Roland Sound Canvas VA includes an SC-55 mode, though it's not 100% accurate; still, it's close. (It's also $125, but probably easier to get working on modern systems than the actual hardware - which costs about as much on eBay - and lets you use it as an SC-88, an SC-88 Pro, and an SC-8820 as well.)

Another alternative, just use BASSMIDI (or your soundfont-using software of choice) and Patch93's SC-55 soundfont, which is pretty accurate. (And it's free!)

Last option: just use the built-in Microsoft GS synth. It's kinda lovely, has low sample quality, lacks chorus and reverb, but it is based on the SC-55, so it's still better than nothing.

Ah, the soundfont was what I was looking for. Thanks for this.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

fishmech posted:

Well... I'm half-convinced Cyriak just mashes buttons until it sounds... well, you can decide whether or not it's good, but it's very distinctive. But unless you're him yeah pretty much

Keiya fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 2, 2017

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm probably different since I just mostly want to do covers and stuff like that, not really original music.

Speaking of Roland SC-55, how well do source ports emulate the sound compared to the original sound canvas?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

There aren't source ports of the SC-55. That poo poo's still proprietary, hence why they're selling software that emulates an SC-8820 emulating an SC-55 for $125.

Doom source ports just send MIDI instructions to it (or an actual SC-55, or your MIDI synth w/ that SC-55 soundfont) blindly; they don't really do anything special for an SC-55 compared to any other MIDI synth.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I'm probably different since I just mostly want to do covers and stuff like that, not really original music.

Speaking of Roland SC-55, how well do source ports emulate the sound compared to the original sound canvas?

There are SC-55 music packs put together by fans for both Duke and Doom you can use. Those sound better than the default music with the source ports, at least for me since I haven't messed with any soundfront stuff. Duke 3D World Tour also has new mixes of all the music by Lee Jackson, which to me sounds better than any other version of the Duke music.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Shadow Hog posted:

There aren't source ports of the SC-55. That poo poo's still proprietary, hence why they're selling software that emulates an SC-8820 emulating an SC-55 for $125.

Doom source ports just send MIDI instructions to it (or an actual SC-55, or your MIDI synth w/ that SC-55 soundfont) blindly; they don't really do anything special for an SC-55 compared to any other MIDI synth.

So, is it just sending the instructions to Microsoft GS synth or Timidity++ and they're just trying to play with whatever instrument available? Or is it actually emulating an SC-55? I'm not too sure I still understand this.

Heavy Metal posted:

There are SC-55 music packs put together by fans for both Duke and Doom you can use. Those sound better than the default music with the source ports, at least for me since I haven't messed with any soundfront stuff. Duke 3D World Tour also has new mixes of all the music by Lee Jackson, which to me sounds better than any other version of the Duke music.

Could you link some examples? I've been going through Doomworld's archive for music wads but I haven't noticed anything that specifically attempts to do this.

http://sc55.duke4.net/

Is this one of them?

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 2, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Uncle Kitchener posted:

So, is it just sending the instructions to Microsoft GS synth or Timidity++ and they're just trying to play with whatever instrument available? Or is it actually emulating an SC-55? I'm not too sure I still understand this.
Yup. The only special source port music thing I'm aware of is the built-in OPL2/3 emulation in ZDoom.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Could you link some examples? I've been going through Doomworld's archive for music wads but I haven't noticed anything that specifically attempts to do this.

http://sc55.duke4.net/

Is this one of them?

Yep those are the ones I use, there are Doom ones on that site too. Good stuff. And there are alternatives also, some like to release music of the game through an Arachno SoundFont, these SC-55 ones sound smoother to me. For GZDoom the music doesn't need to be a .wad, these work too, I use ZDL and put the music zip in the load order.

I think that's how I did it anyway, been a while since I played the Doom/Doom2 campaigns. Usually listen to the music that comes with the new maps I'm playing.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 2, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

A MIDI synth can basically do whatever it wants with the data. The Sound Canvas family was (one of?) the first MIDI synths entirely based around having a large library of sound samples and then pitchshifting and mixing those to produce sound, rather than using actual synthesis like FM or additive synth. So one part of making a synth the sounds like the SC-55 is having the same (or comparable) database of samples as the original, that's what's generally called a "sound font". However the complete synth also includes the actual algorithms used for selecting appropriate samples, for pitchshifting them, the variable reverb and chorus effects, and the mixing. You'd need to reverse-engineer all those parts to get a full copy. However a general purpose sound font based synth like BASSMIDI (which is what CoolSoft Virtual MIDI Synth is based on) does all of those things, just not exactly the same the SC-55 did, so if you can get an SC-55-like sound font for it, you'll be very close.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Requiem: Avenging Angel is 60% off on Steam right now; $3.99 (or £2.79 in proper money). Offer ends in about 20 hours so grab your mediocre late-90's lithtech shooter while it's hot I guess?

guess I'll get round to this one after I've finished WWII GI and UberSoldier 2

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So far, the Patch93 SC-55 soundfont is the best I've heard.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Convex posted:

Requiem: Avenging Angel is 60% off on Steam right now; $3.99 (or £2.79 in proper money). Offer ends in about 20 hours so grab your mediocre late-90's lithtech shooter while it's hot I guess?

:goonsay: i thought requiem was a custom engine done by cyclone and not lithtech?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ETPC posted:

:goonsay: i thought requiem was a custom engine done by cyclone and not lithtech?

You're probably right. Either way it doesn't loving work unless you apply some weird fixes :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Convex posted:

I liked Ubersoldier more than I should have, that is to say, at all.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

There's an MT-32 emulator out there you can point DOS games to with Dosbox and use as a MIDI out in Windows too.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Just curious, am I the only one who thinks those Roland synths sound like rear end? They try to sound realistic but fail completely at it, while Adlib/OPL2/SB16/whatever just sounds right to me as videogame music.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mordja posted:

I liked Ubersoldier more than I should have, that is to say, at all.

I never played the first one but the second is competent and workmanlike. Very Raven Software-esque as in solid, fun while you play but not as memorable as it could be.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wamdoodle posted:

I never played the first one but the second is competent and workmanlike. Very Raven Software-esque as in solid, fun while you play but not as memorable as it could be.

I should try it again, I didn't spend much time on it, but that opening truck section was awful.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

catlord posted:

I should try it again, I didn't spend much time on it, but that opening truck section was awful.

Oof, yeah. You just reminded me. Not the strongest start to a game, lol.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I think I just found that Goldeneye mouse injector via Google.

Holy crap, this thing works great. :getin:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I think I understand a lot more about Midi synths and what they did. Really interesting stuff what you can do with just a couple samples.

Also, any Daikatana regulars in this thread or am I the only one that enjoys pain? Apparently there's a 1.4 patch or something out, but I'm still using 1.3 and it's still 10 times better than the original game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shadow Hog posted:

Am I correct in thinking that this is some sort of plugin for an n64 emulator so you can play a GE rom with a mouse?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Am I correct in thinking that this is some sort of plugin for an n64 emulator so you can play a GE rom with a mouse?

That's exactly what it is, and it was linked earlier in the thread. It worked great when I tried it with Goldeneye, supposedly it's "optimized" for Perfect Dark and Goldeneye. I guess that means they tweaked the mouse settings just for those games.

But while it's a plugin, it comes with its own emulator already set up. So all you need is Perfect Dark or Goldeneye.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sort of. They might've edited the emulator itself (1964, specifically) to support these features in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (v1.1), though I'm not sure how much of that is the emulator and how much is the plugin.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Shadow Hog posted:

Mind re-linking it?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's an MT-32 emulator out there you can point DOS games to with Dosbox and use as a MIDI out in Windows too.

Yep, it's definitely worth having on hand, for those old games written specifically for the MT-32.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

nielsm posted:

Yep, it's definitely worth having on hand, for those old games written specifically for the MT-32.
It's pretty crazy seeing ancient CGA games with this incredible music coming from them. It would have been quite amazing having one of those back in the day - probably frustrating also, since not every game supported it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
After playing through Turok EX I got to say that I respect the game a whole lot more now. It's a drat good retro shooter.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Don't mind if I do

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

I started replaying Perfect Dark with this a few weeks back and I remember thinking it would make the game trivial and maybe break down the rose colored glasses for it but wow, on the highest difficulty and with responsive mouse aiming and 60fps, it's still a legit good shooter. I forgot how many different objectives their were for each mission and some enemies will completely gently caress your poo poo up if you're not quick enough to dish out headshots or explosives.

The one thing I did find funny is how easy it is to shoot guns out of guards hands now.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hey quote is not edit my dude

E: what the gently caress Awful app

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This really owns, more than I thought since I only played Goldeneye 64 with my gamepad and it usually runs like poo poo despite having a decent computer. It runs smooth with Glide64, sound is perfect and it handles really nice. I know what I'm playing this weekend :getin:

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I love watching Bond "replay" his death 3 times while the rest of the world continues on like normal

that poo poo never gets old, it's a classic feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Look! Bond dies, he dies again, from a completely different angle. What the heck? Is this some funky new directing style?