Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ineffiable posted:

Here's what we did get.

Demon's souls.
Dark souls
Artorias of the abyss expansion
Dark souls 2
Dark souls 2 Crown trilogy dlc.
Bloodborne
Dark souls 2: scholar of the first sin
Bloodborne: the old hunters
Dark souls 3
Dark souls 3: ashes of adriandral
Dark souls 3: the ringed city

Yes it's really a lot. I'm excited to see what they may announce at e3 or other trade show later this year.

This list sells DS2 DLC short its a LOT of content in those 3 DLC's maybe as much as the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Look, guys, I don't need any of your negativity about Armored Core. The games themselves gave me plenty of that. Let me hold on to my false hope about a future that almost assuredly doesn't actually exist.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lakbay posted:

What was the time gap between KF/Shadow Tower games and Demon's Souls?

From 1994 until 2003 we got these:

King's field
king's field 2
King's field 3 (all of these were within 3 years!)
Shadow tower
Kings field 4
Shadow tower abyss

So almost the same number of games in roughly the same number of years.

Armored core has had a pretty aggressive release schedule as well. From 1997 to 2013 we got 15 games.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
DS2's DLC was absolutely fantastic. A shame it wasn't implemented into the game a little more smoothly - I'm not a fan of "touch thing, teleport to DLC area" as a rule.

Nioh though...christ. Game's so fast it has ruined DS's combat flow me, even if the world design and atmosphere are far worse. I'd love to see a game as quick as Nioh built with the sort of intimacy FROM have in their worlds.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lakbay posted:

What was the time gap between KF/Shadow Tower games and Demon's Souls?

They did other stuff like a bajillion Armored Core games on the PS2, some Gundam stuff, Eternal Ring, Lost Kingdoms series, etc., but here are FromSoftware's fantasy horror games that have some concepts that appear in Demon's Souls. In general they put out about five to six games every year until 2010, after which they started doing Souls stuff exclusively with the rare other game thrown in.

1998-
Shadow Tower

2001-
King's Field: The Ancient City

2002-
Otogi: Myth of Demons

2003-
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
Shadow Tower Abyss

SIX YEARS PASS.

2009-
Demon's Souls

But their entire thing now is to just do one big game every one and half to two years so I doubt we're going to see that much of a gap because this is all they're working on. So I'd be shocked if we didn't see something at least mentioned at E3 or at TGS this year.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 3, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They also did Chromehounds, which was the best worst mech game for the 360.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

In general they put out about five to six games every year until 2010, after which they started doing Souls stuff exclusively with the rare other game thrown in.

I assume they did that just to make ends meet right? They're definitely not the weird niche JP developer they were pre-Demon's Souls anymore

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

Yes but was it worse than Murakumo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOFhkBz-CzY

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
They're making Demon's Souls 2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's time for the return of The Adventures of Cookie and Cream.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's time for the return of The Adventures of Cookie and Cream.

Hell yeah. It's a good time.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

haveblue posted:

Chromehounds was great, speak no ill of the dead. Also, they really hosed up not having random base spawns, random mech spawns or both. Near the middle-end those assholes with the howitzers that would just shoot your base without moving were really annoying and pretty much ruined the game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Boogalo posted:

Yandere Simulator already exists.

Sadly

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Let's not forget Fromsoft made the beloved Steel Battalion Kinect game in a post Souls world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FromSoft's secret most fun game was Another Century's Episode 2.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Sorry to interrupt Souls chat (the crow outfit in Bloodborne is the best, fight me about it) asked in the PSN thread too, but is Mafia III worth picking up at half price right now? From a couple streams the aesthetic is lovely and it seems like there's a lot of little stuff to do a la Saints Row even if it does look janky as poo poo (also a la Saints Row).

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I am ridiculously excited for the Parappa release tomorrow not for the gameplay, but because my kids (6 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old) LOVE the demo. They just dance around saying I GOTTA BELIEVE. I showed them the Car Rap yesterday on youtube and they lost their poo poo.

Parappa owns. I can't wait until they see the frog :3:

Also, I love the theme I got for pre-ordering. It looks really good.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I am ridiculously excited for the Parappa release tomorrow not for the gameplay, but because my kids (6 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old) LOVE the demo. They just dance around saying I GOTTA BELIEVE. I showed them the Car Rap yesterday on youtube and they lost their poo poo.

Parappa owns. I can't wait until they see the frog :3:

Also, I love the theme I got for pre-ordering. It looks really good.

It is a great title. I am very excited.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah from software really loves churning out games so I would be very surprised if there's no announcement.

Don't we even officially know they have something like 3 projects under works?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

They've bounced back and forth a fair bit. There was a rumor they were going to be doing an AC VR game.

Which, you know, I think would be cool as poo poo, but I also know that Silent Line proved that first person AC is a bit 'gooey' at best.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are still tied to some kind of PSVR content afaik. I wouldn't be surprised if the confirmed upcoming AC game had some sort of VR mode. I hope it's a whole game though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I think last time this came up for discussion there was hints of: a psvr game, something new, and a return to a beloved franchise or something like that.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

haveblue posted:

I bought a 360 for it. It was incredibly fun building 10 variations of dickbots, no joke.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I think last time this came up for discussion there was hints of: a psvr game, something new, and a return to a beloved franchise or something like that.

They confirmed one was an AC game, one is another mech game and the other was a dark fantasy rpg I believe.

They were one of the developers advertised as making a psvr game but who knows what that means anymore. Could be a 10 minute vr companion experience or something.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
King's Field VR

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

PaRappa comes out tomorrow? :( nothing can survive in the face of Persona

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

King's Field VR

I'd be so into that

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Snak posted:

King's Field VR

I'll buy ten.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bet if Fromsoft made a first person VR rpg it would actually sell a ton of psvr headsets.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I know the internet is high on Bloodborne, but did it sell well? Was it ever considered a system seller?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I bet if Fromsoft made a first person VR rpg it would actually sell a ton of psvr headsets.

I would buy it. 100%

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shadow225 posted:

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I know the internet is high on Bloodborne, but did it sell well? Was it ever considered a system seller?

It sold 2 million copies in its first 6 months so yeah it did well

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shadow225 posted:

From fans bought one for it. Its a niche genre that blew up a bit but i cant imagine it sold more than 2-3 mil. The goal of exclusives isnt to sell systems on their own though, its to make the console you own for gta and destiny have a more rounded library and seem more attractive.
Locking down a niche genre like souls games or fight games sells only a few consoles but those people will buy other software and get into your platform, while more casual fans will see those games as added value to their cod box.

This is why post snes nintendo consoles, wii and handheld aside for obvious reasons, sell in third place. They try to drive hardware sales on the back of super fans that love zelda et al. but their ecosystem isnt attractive to casual fans of those series.

This is why xbox and now ps have coveted the stupid cod dlc early access. Thats what sells big numbers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel like Horizon probably pushed a lot of Pro upgrades, although ironically it runs almost as well on a normal PS4.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

It sold 2 million copies in its first 6 months so yeah it did well

Holy poo poo I had no idea it sold so well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea it sold so well.

There was nothing else to play on PS4 at that point

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

There was nothing else to play on PS4 at that point

People literally bought PS4s just to play it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fuzz posted:

It was one of the driving factors for me getting a PS4, I was already a Souls fan though

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like Horizon probably pushed a lot of Pro upgrades, although ironically it runs almost as well on a normal PS4.

The game looked real pretty, so much that I looked at pro's and it said it was no improvement so I didn't upgrade.

So that's me minus research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Like me. Even if I had fewer games to play on PS4, bloodborne made my purchase worth it.