Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

The star wars prequel webcomic of the Phantom Menace that interprets it as a RPG campaign gone wrong remains the pinnacle of human creative endeavor.

Do you have a link, or the name of this thing? Sounds fun.

Also, the last two episodes of this have been really good :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Agronox posted:

Do you have a link, or the name of this thing? Sounds fun.

Darths & Droids

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In a resource scare environment, you'd think they'd regulate recreational drugs more stringently.

Likewise, in an environment where lack of hope/ennui is the biggest driver of social unrest, you'd expect widely available recreational drugs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm pretty sure recreational drugs are included as part of Basic.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm pretty sure recreational drugs are included as part of Basic.

I'm more willing to bet that it's a cocktail of antidepressants and other psychotropic drugs.

I'm honestly more curious about how belters get baked or do other drugs you typically smoke. I imagine there's got to be a serious taboo against smoking anything on a station or ship, so do they just vape everything or are there more advance ways to get high?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

MizPiz posted:

I'm more willing to bet that it's a cocktail of antidepressants and other psychotropic drugs.

I'm honestly more curious about how belters get baked or do other drugs you typically smoke. I imagine there's got to be a serious taboo against smoking anything on a station or ship, so do they just vape everything or are there more advance ways to get high?

Relevant book quote:

quote:

She pulled a cigarette out and lit it as they walked. At [person's] shocked look she said, “They let you do it here. Lots of the Belters do. They obsess over air filters and then suck poisonous particulates into their lungs recreationally. It’s a fabulous culture.”

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I was about to post that as a belter I am literally shaking at the thought of someone smoking near my air filters :v:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Live fast, die young, leave an elongated corpse

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Smiling Jack posted:

Live fast, die young, leave an elongated corpse

LIVIT BELTA!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I wasn't 100% sold on season 1 of this show. I thought it lacked a lot of charm and the characters were insanely dull, with the exception of Thomas Jane who did try his hardest to breathe life into a terribly uninteresting storyline

Season 2 is approximately 600% better than the first season and I'm enjoying it a ton. Huge improvements all around and the integration of Thomas Jane into the main crew was a big positive.

but then he rode an asteroid into venus :( :( )

Main crew is still largely uninteresting but Bruiser guy and Pilotman have grown on me and are my favourites of the bunch. Captain man and british lady aren't interesting at all

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 5, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Alex is one of the best characters, second only to Avasarala.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I would have liked Alex to be older like he is in the books. I get why you can't have an old pot bellied hero in today's television world but one character wouldn't have made the show any less than it is.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah i forgot about Avasarala. She owns every scene she's in. Honestly there are a lot of interesting characters on the show, most of them are just not in the main crew

Is the botanist guy gonna be a main crewer though?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Zzulu posted:

Is the botanist guy gonna be a main crewer though?

If you really want to know (book spoilers): No, not long-term. And here's a bunch of pointless words so the spoiler is the least obvious as it can be.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Why can you have old lady, but not old man?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Zzulu posted:

I wasn't 100% sold on season 1 of this show. I thought it lacked a lot of charm and the characters were insanely dull, with the exception of Thomas Jane who did try his hardest to breathe life into a terribly uninteresting storyline

Season 2 is approximately 600% better than the first season and I'm enjoying it a ton. Huge improvements all around and the integration of Thomas Jane into the main crew was a big positive.

but then he rode an asteroid into venus :( :( )

Main crew is still largely uninteresting but Bruiser guy and Pilotman have grown on me and are my favourites of the bunch. Captain man and british lady aren't interesting at all

Yeah, Jane was a cut above most of the cast (Aversala is pretty good too though). I think the bigger thing is that in Season 2 they have a footing now and are running with the story, even if to me the whole protomolecule thing is kind of meh. Space politics and knife edge of interplanetary war is p. good.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i really like amos's arms

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Worst actor is definitely Holden, but that might change as his character grows.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Amos has really nice arms, agreed. Also the best puppy dog expression this side of Luna orbit.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Zzulu posted:

Captain man

Because of the resemblance, I keep calling him Jon Space

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

NZAmoeba posted:

My mom does the same thing. I just don't see it

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

gohmak posted:

My mom does the same thing. I just don't see it

I see it, facial shape is different, but the eyes, complexion, and hair color is close.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's the lovely beard

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Longbaugh01 posted:

I see it, facial shape is different, but the eyes, complexion, and hair color is close.

If any of you are a 59 year old woman living in Michigan please don't read my post history.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holden is a pretty nice guy who is doing his best to be selfless and ethical while balancing the needs to save humanity with doing uncomfortable things and he's a good dude. But as a character he's boring as poo poo.
I used to like Naomi a lot more but she's become pretty boring and one dimensional in this season. She should go job swap with Drummer.

I want Avasarala to captain the ship, alex and amos to run it, and Drummer to be in charge of security. That would be my *perfect crew*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Holden is someone playing Mass Effect as a pure Paragon with the occasional accidental Renegade. That's why he seems so boring compared to the rest of the crew.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Demiurge4 posted:

I would have liked Alex to be older like he is in the books. I get why you can't have an old pot bellied hero in today's television world but one character wouldn't have made the show any less than it is.

Totally could get away with it, especially with the SPACE TEXAN angle. It would be hilarious. But current Amos is pretty great on his own, so eh. If some point in this show isn't a magical moment where someone gifts Alex a proper antique Stetson, a great opportunity will be missed.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Amos is also a little older in the books, and bald. But yeah, Amos reminds me to hit the gym every week, so hopefully I can find an excuse to wear a jumpsuit and hopefully have it work that well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Holden is someone playing Mass Effect as a pure Paragon with the occasional accidental Renegade.

:perfect:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NZAmoeba posted:

Not squinty enough. Holden is pretty much constantly squinting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I keep forgetting Holden was El Diablo in Suicide Squad.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

twistedmentat posted:

I keep forgetting Holden was El Diablo in Suicide Squad.

What.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Holden is someone playing Mass Effect as a pure Paragon with the occasional accidental Renegade. That's why he seems so boring compared to the rest of the crew.

Why is he called Holden and the others by their first names*? Even Naomi (nobody calls her Nagata), the woman who is having sexy times with him, calls him Holden.

Also he is always wrong about the small and medium things. If he makes a snap decision they should always do the opposite. It would make for some interesting comedy.

*This is also true of other characters, like Avasarala (always Chrisjen or Madam Whateverhertitleis) and Errinwright (is always that). Interestingly Fred Johnson is almost always referred to as Fred Johnson. That is until he is christened Fred "Motherfucking" Johnson. At the end of S3 I assume :v:

Collateral fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 5, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Maybe he doesn't like his first name? :shrug: I dunno, I go by my middle name because I have the same first name as my father, grandfather, and great-grandfather (actually now that I think of it, two great-grandfathers).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

She called him Jim a couple times and it sounded super weird. He's just holden. Sometimes that just happens with people in social groups.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Holden gets the last‐name treatment because he is the captain.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Maybe he doesn't like his first name? :shrug: I dunno, I go by my middle name because I have the same first name as my father, grandfather, and great-grandfather (actually now that I think of it, two great-grandfathers).

Is your family Scottish or of that origin? My family is the same, only if there are multiple boys, the second and third born get: William, Robert or John (whichever was not the fathers name). We have a family tree that goes back to the 13th century and its always the same. It can get super confusing at weddings.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Collateral posted:

Is your family Scottish or of that origin? My family is the same, only if there are multiple boys, the second and third born get: William, Robert or John (whichever was not the fathers name). We have a family tree that goes back to the 13th century and its always the same. It can get super confusing at weddings.

Scottish/English origin. Getting mail for <first and last name> with no middle name or initial was always fun.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Collateral posted:

I also have the same name as my father, grandfather, and great-grandfather and we're Polish on that side.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
GIFs from episode ten. Better late than never.

https://fat.gfycat.com/OddballRawCommongonolek.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/NimbleBlackandwhiteAmericankestrel.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/SmallSmallBorzoi.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/EmptySlowKarakul.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/GrotesqueSolidIndri.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/SaltyFriendlyKite.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/AnguishedUntimelyGeese.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I love the TANKSTAR chicken brand.

NmareBfly posted:

Bobbie seeing the sea was cool, but the fact that there was a beach at all was a little offputting. Shouldn't the sea be up against the flood wall? They way they portrayed it implies the big walls are just in case of a huge storm surge or something. Just happened to be low tide?

It’s the tide. Compare:

Also, check out that shuttle in the background.

• Locked thread