Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Man, I completely forgot his weird anti-Katherine rant.

His complaints about "no-name" posters were the best. Though Slowbeef's sudden realization that he is completely serious is what really turns this entire affair into comedy gold. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Demiurge4 posted:

This is why Mojang stepped in and said 'No you idiots you don't get to monetize our game'
Not that Mojang ever actually enforce that part of their EULA.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Everyone hides everything behind adfly links to try and scam money out of it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

HiKaizer posted:

Everyone hides everything behind adfly links to try and scam money out of it.

And the big modders use Patreon. Patreon is a bit of a grey area though since you're not directly paying for the mod, you're just paying to support the author, but a lot of the time it gets you access to things. For example Azanor is making $1600+ off Patreon per month and you get beta access to Thaumcraft 6 and it's pretty blatantly about the money.

Azanor posted:

There has been an unfortunate increase in "samplers" lately (people who pledge $25+ to get beta access and then drop their pledge before the end of the month or who simply give bogus payment info).
This is causing me quite a bit of admin I would rather avoid and in some cases there is no way for me to control if the persons pledge did actually go through or not - Patreon does no give us access to past payments once someone leaves.

Because of this I have changed to the "Charge up front" system Patreon now offers. This means when you make a pledge you will be charged immediately and won't become a patron until the pledge goes through. I am not 100% happy with this system and have been resisting using it for a while, but the time wasted dealing with this has just been adding up way too much.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Demiurge4 posted:

And the big modders use Patreon. Patreon is a bit of a grey area though since you're not directly paying for the mod, you're just paying to support the author, but a lot of the time it gets you access to things. For example Azanor is making $1600+ off Patreon per month and you get beta access to Thaumcraft 6 and it's pretty blatantly about the money.
Yeah, that's a complete load of bullshit and I know a few other modders were doing it too (The Mystcraft guy IIRC, at least). Like, I can understand having a donation system setup and maybe nice things like references for patrons being made in return for this but what Azanor does is literally charging for beta access and forcing you to subscribe to do so. I'm honestly surprised that Mojang/Microsoft haven't taken him to the cleaners yet.

Thankfully the Stellaris modding scene is a mostly different, with the exception of a few divas. At least there's no god damned adfly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love the patreon model with modders, who's work is 100% free, can get donations from people who appreciate their work. When they start trying to withhold their mods to only paying customers and have meltdowns over it they can go gently caress them selves.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
It helps a lot and I'm very grateful that Stellaris was built from the start with a firm and easy basis to mod it. When you have to take apart the game each time it updates to even be able to hack together an api, you're risking dooming the modding community to begin with. I'll give it some credit due to being an indie hit wonder, but almost every decision about modding in Minecraft from Notch and then Mojang has not handled it well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyTolradi posted:

At least there's no god damned adfly.

I'm usually the first person to poo poo on steam's monopoly but holy poo poo workshop is a godsent.

The only thing with it is it doesn't enforce some kind of open license to all the mods posted, but I guess you can't have everything.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mazz posted:

If managing planets is cut down to a very basic checklist, what exactly is left? I love the game for what it is and I'm buying Utopia immediately, but I don't see what else really is there besides picking techs, managing leaders occasionally, and fighting for small amounts of time.

are you asking me to list all of the game mechanics that aren't tile management? because that seems like it could take a while

anyway, the point here is not to reduce the amount of decisions that go into planet management, it's to reduce the amount of micro. at the moment 95% of tile management is clicking on planets to check whether you're close enough to a new pop that you need to build something/whether you missed a surface construction complete notification/whether a bunch of random aliens have moved in/whether your guys have hosed off somewhere and made everything stop working, and then clicking on stuff you decided to build ages ago, and like 5% of it is actually making non-trivial decisions

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
hey speaking of getting the game to play itself is there a cheat / mod to unlock auto-explore for science ships earlier?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

fuf posted:

hey speaking of getting the game to play itself is there a cheat / mod to unlock auto-explore for science ships earlier?

No, but the next patch makes it available earlier, which I think is probably the best solution personally.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

There's a mod that unlocks it off the bat:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=785299768

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Yeah I've been using that when I'm not playing the excellent Star Trek mod because while exploring is fun at first by now I just want the option to automate it. Plus due to the card system sometimes you don't get the card before the point where you've explored everywhere you can before being boxed in.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

HiKaizer posted:

Yeah I've been using that when I'm not playing the excellent Star Trek mod because while exploring is fun at first by now I just want the option to automate it. Plus due to the card system sometimes you don't get the card before the point where you've explored everywhere you can before being boxed in.

The patch moves it to administrative AI I think which is like one of the first techs you can draw.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitchner posted:

The patch moves it to administrative AI I think which is like one of the first techs you can draw.
Manually exploring your first few years of systems and then automating afterwards does seem like a good idea.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I just wish auto-exploring science ships had some concept of enemy stations. They'll poo poo their pants and flee if an enemy ship appears for a nanosecond on the other side of the system but they'll cheerfully fly straight into a hostile fortress without a care in the world :argh:

The first time I encountered Sanctuary I had 3 science ships on auto-explore just lemming into it one after another.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Demiurge4 posted:

This is why Mojang stepped in and said 'No you idiots you don't get to monetize our game'

You can though. See: https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation/

Basically, you can ask money for access to a server, or sell purely cosmetic addons, but you can't sell gameplay items or in-game currency, like diamonds or magic books or whatever.

They had problems with servers restricting access to diamonds and asking money for them, so they'd get phonecalls from irate parents whose kids had bought a billion diamonds on some lovely server. And as far as I know they do enforce it.

I guess you can interpret it as asking money for server access - that happens to have MC on it - and not asking money for Minecraft itself.

MC videos are another exception.

uXs fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 3, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqGrB0HX6Ok

Wiz, please don't take this the wrong way, but the whole shot with your face looks like you've made an online dating video.

Hi, I'm Wiz. I am a Game Director at a Swedish video game company. I like long walks on the beach, robots, genetic manipulation, and eating other sentient beings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kitchner posted:

Wiz, please don't take this the wrong way, but the whole shot with your face looks like you've made an online dating video.

Hi, I'm Wiz. I am a Game Director at a Swedish video game company. I like long walks on the beach, robots, genetic manipulation, and eating other sentient beings.

I really liked that video and Wiz's very serious face to face at the end sealed the deal for me. I'm swiping right on this whole DLC business (is that what you do when you're DTF? I don't know how how these dating apps work)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Wiz, I love you bro, but the comments about the serial killer stare aren't wrong.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Nothing escapes the cold, calculating AI eyes of Wiz!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wiz looks fine don't be dicks.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The worst part of being on camera at work is all the edgelords who ironically tell you what a lovely job you did following the marketing drone's instructions sitting where you were supposed to sit and reading from the prompter even if you didn't need it.

What's the right way to take people calling you an online psycho / serial killer, out of curiosity?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitchner posted:

I'm lazy, someone hurry up and make and make the Wiz-race that video is begging for.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ah, see, I said he LOOKS like a serial killer, not that he is one.

And I get that it's not Wiz's fault, I've seen enough of the streams to know he's a human being with a face capable of displaying emotions/empathy, but what's the internet for if not being a dick to strangers?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

He looks like a very normal dude talking about a video game he put a lot of work into on camera.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kitchner posted:

Stop stealing my linkedin profile.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Crazycryodude posted:

Ah, see, I said he LOOKS like a serial killer, not that he is one.

And I get that it's not Wiz's fault, I've seen enough of the streams to know he's a human being with a face capable of displaying emotions/empathy, but what's the internet for if not being a dick to strangers?

He's a real guy that really posts in this thread and you are making poo poo up just to make him feel bad about his appearance. There is no serial killer 'look', that's just bullshit to say to make people feel bad about themselves! And it's not loving funny.

Dude has a job and is doing his job. Don't use your personal access to insult and demean people conducting their trade, jokingly or otherwise.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think it's just bad luck with the YouTube thumbnail preview picking a weird frame, it looks like he's in the middle of saying something but with it frozen like that it gives the impression that he's going to lunge at you.

Still, that won't stop us from being unreasonably judgemental about everything you say and do - welcome to the internet!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Wiz if I offended you I really am sorry :(

The insult hivemind got to me and even just 5 minutes later I realize it was pretty dickish to say

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Rakthar posted:

He's a real guy that really posts in this thread and you are making poo poo up just to make him feel bad about his appearance. There is no serial killer 'look', that's just bullshit to say to make people feel bad about themselves! And it's not loving funny.

I'm sorry people made fun of you for your looks, but I don't think there was nearly this much malice intended ITT, even if I agree it wasn't a nice thing to say on the Something Awful forums.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVQOLX1wDAc
This, but about wiz.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

CrazyLoon posted:

I'm sorry people made fun of you for your looks, but I don't think there was nearly this much malice intended ITT, even if I agree it wasn't a nice thing to say on the Something Awful forums.

The dude has to go on camera for his job with streams and promotional videos, making poo poo up because it's funny fucks with his ability to assess how he comes off to other people, it doesn't matter if malice wasn't intended if it affects him negatively. No one makes you be a piece of crap and lie to other people to insult them, that's your choice dude.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Wiz has been here forever and has made quite a few lets play threads i'm sure he can take a little good natured ribbing about how he looks in a goofy screencap

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
the serial killer stare stuff is unfunny and kind of rude but I don't think it really deserves the level of vitriol that would normally be reserved for people who complain about power cuts

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Crazycryodude posted:

Wiz, I love you bro, but the comments about the serial killer stare aren't wrong.

I think if a guy takes time out of his day to respond to our lovely comments/questions on his Good Game on our comedy website forums and then a video gets posted and then you devolve to the level of internet video comment sections, you are a bad poster. :frogout:

Seriously though pretty low-brow.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone looks like a serial killer.
https://storage.googleapis.com/vidsums/af96b835-19ff-484e-9d65-bb6ffb7b40c5.mp4

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh come on, not like this is the first time it happened.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rakthar posted:

The worst part of being on camera at work is all the edgelords who ironically tell you what a lovely job you did following the marketing drone's instructions sitting where you were supposed to sit and reading from the prompter even if you didn't need it.

What's the right way to take people calling you an online psycho / serial killer, out of curiosity?

Depends on if you really are a serial killer or not, I guess. :v:

Joking aside, let's be serious, if actual serial killers could be that easily found, law enforcement the world over would collectively sigh in relief. Claiming someone "looks like a serial killer" is basically failed comedy. It's one of those things which only sound funny inside your head, and the world immediately gets a little bit bleaker and darker if you ever actually let this poo poo out into the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So, what features are everybody looking forward to most in the utopia expansion

• Locked thread