Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

...a T2 combo with Fluctuator and adequate cycling cards in hand/deck?
Finish with a Fling for laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Smashing Link posted:

Flameblade Adept
R
Creature - Jackal Warrior
Menace

Whenever you cycle or discard a card, Flameblade Adept gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

So this is a T2 combo with Fluctuator and adequate cycling cards in hand/deck?

We're definitely not getting Fluctuator.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

well, yeah

it's on the reserved list

also it's against current design philosophies and stuff

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Could speed up the Legacy Fluctuator deck by a turn though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TheChirurgeon posted:

You don't have to play them per se; you could discard them to something like Nahiri's Wrath on T3.

e: NOTE: I am aware that so far, this deck is shaping up to be rear end

Could work with the -1\-1 Dragon and madness cards.

Tormenting voice, lightning axe, dragon, god, cycle cards, mindwrack... There might be a deck in that mess somewhere.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

T1 Bomat Courier, T2 Flameblade Adept, T3 Cultivator's Caravan, T4 Hazoret the Pervert, sac Courier, swing for 13, T5–??? uh, topdeck... Stuff?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 3, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

T1 Bomat Courier, T2 Flameblade Adept, T3 Cultivator's Caravan, T4 Hazoret the Pervert, sac Courier, swing for 13, T5–??? uh, topdeck... Stuff?

well from there every topdeck is at worst a shock to the opp's head, but since you're running 4x Fiery Temper, those can turn into 5 to the dome

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No wait I got it! T5 topdeck Siege Mod on Hazoret, Fling for 8. It's a bit overkill but what can you do.

Edit: I'm a moron who forgot you only draw once per turn in this game.

Edit2: Oh wait duh. Hazoret just swings in for 5 and then you Fling her to the dome. 23, we're done here.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 3, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you really want to play this card why not just slot it in the r/u izzet graveyard deck that exists already?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you really want to play this card why not just slot it in the r/u izzet graveyard deck that exists already?

Because we want RDW to be a thing again.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

If it becomes a thing it'll be from having the extra set in rotation allowing it to reach critical mass

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

nm, I'm stupid

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 3, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

St0rmD posted:

Where are you getting the extra red mana to sac Courier on T4?

Cultivator's Caravan, although if I was to be playing Sligh that's not necessarily the 3 drop I'd want in my deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

These aren't RDW cards.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Elyv posted:

Cultivator's Caravan, although if I was to be playing Sligh that's not necessarily the 3 drop I'd want in my deck.

Edit, I'm dumb, I was thinking you had to crew the Caravan to get mana out of it.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Just had the pleasure of a Deaths Shadow player thoughtseize me turn 1 just for me to reveal two Groves of the Burnwillows in hand. Nobody's killing themselves on my watch.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay I figured it out, you don't actually need to topdeck anything. The opponent just can't have any blockers. :v:

T1: Courier.
T2: Adept, swing with Courier for 1, Courier exiles top card of deck.
T3: Caravan, swing with Adept and Courier for 2, exile again.
T4: Hazoret, tap Caravan for mana, sac Courier and hand to draw exiled cards, swing for 13 9.
T5: Discard both exiled cards to Hazoret for 4, swing for 8, win?

Edit: Wait no I'm not counting lands, gently caress. I'm a loving moron. :negative:

Edit2: There, I fixed it. gently caress.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 3, 2017

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

T1: Courier, swing for 1.
It has haste. Don't be bad at red.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I can't help it! :negative:

Edit: No wait you can't swing with Courier more than once because the drat thing brings cards back to your hand. I'll just stop now. :cripes:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 3, 2017

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Are people saying Fluctuator is on the reserve list? I did a search on Wizard's website and didn't see it. :confused:

If anything, it seems like it would've been more in flavor with Kaladesh anyway.

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 3, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Fluctuator wasn't reprinted the last three times they did cycling, and it did nothing but enable broken horseshit with wonky build-around-me combo pieces during its time in standard, but what if wizards decided to print it again just after they had a set with wonky build-around-me combo pieces?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

InterrupterJones posted:

Are people saying Fluctuator is on the reserve list? I did a search on Wizard's website and didn't see it. :confused:

If anything, it seems like it would've been more in flavor with Kaladesh anyway.

I thought I saw that it was on magiccards.info but apparently I need my eyes checked.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Traditionally for RDW a card needs to be insanely good to justify 4 CMC. Keldon Champion, Koth, Hellrider. This isn't anywhere close, and even in a deck that really wanted it, I can't imagine more then 1-2 as a curve topper, certainly not a 4 of given how clunky it can be.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Siivola posted:

Okay I figured it out, you don't actually need to topdeck anything. The opponent just can't have any blockers. :v:

T4: Hazoret, tap Caravan for mana, sac Courier and hand to draw exiled cards, swing for 13 8.

Edit: Wait no I'm not counting lands, gently caress. I'm a loving moron. :negative:

This deck needs noose constrictor, fiery temper and insolent neonate

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh that's true, thanks!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cactrot posted:

This slots nicely into Bogles, I think.

This card is going to make Pauper Bogles substantially less horrible, and of there is one mana green Cartouche that makes a 1/1 and gives +1/+1 and trample the deck might actually have enough to not be bad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Marketing New Brain posted:

Traditionally for RDW a card needs to be insanely good to justify 4 CMC. Keldon Champion, Koth, Hellrider. This isn't anywhere close, and even in a deck that really wanted it, I can't imagine more then 1-2 as a curve topper, certainly not a 4 of given how clunky it can be.

Keldon Champion loving owns and we'll never see it again because they're never going to revisit Echo, which is probably for the best.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

i can't wait for the unintentional implications of 4 white people and an Elf coming in to tell the black people their culture/religion/way of life is wrong and needs to be changed

I can't wait for the story where they track down Koth and offer to let him join the Gatewatch in exchange for n-word privileges.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

i can't wait for the unintentional implications of 4 white people and an Elf coming in to tell the black people their culture/religion/way of life is wrong and needs to be changed

Isn't Liliana supposed to be vaguely kind of Persian or something, when they occasionally remember?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

She's from some generic medieval European-ish fantasy corner of Dominaria as of Origins, so uhh I dunno?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Any speculation on draft archetypes? Maybe enemy colors? WB Zombies, GB Counters, WR Cycling/Discard?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Siivola posted:

T4: Hazoret, tap Caravan for mana, sac Courier and hand to draw exiled cards, swing for 13 9.

look at this guy playing standard

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

This card is going to make Pauper Bogles substantially less horrible, and of there is one mana green Cartouche that makes a 1/1 and gives +1/+1 and trample the deck might actually have enough to not be bad.

That format really needed more good Rancor decks!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Siivola posted:

She's from some generic medieval European-ish fantasy corner of Dominaria as of Origins, so uhh I dunno?

If Chandra can be from Steampunk India and be hella white then Liliana can be from Magic Transylvania and be middle-eastern.

I'm actually surprised they don't have at least a black planeswalker in the Gatewatch though, Wizards creative has pushed pretty hard to be inclusive for a while now.

Koth's not officially dead yet, right? They just left him fighting a losing battle in the underground hellscape of New Phyrexia 6 years ago?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Good point.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Any speculation on draft archetypes? Maybe enemy colors? WB Zombies, GB Counters, WR Cycling/Discard?
Looking at the spoilers, those look reasonable. Probably WR weenies too. Blue bouncing might play nicely with red exert and haste.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Entropic posted:

Koth's not officially dead yet, right? They just left him fighting a losing battle in the underground hellscape of New Phyrexia 6 years ago?

KOTH LIVES

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well Koth's stuck there and Saheeli turned them down in a story. I guess they could hire Kaya?

Edit: And Teferi's lost his spark. Forgot about him.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 3, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Siivola posted:

Well Koth's stuck there and Saheeli turned them down in a story. I guess they could hire Kaya?

Please, we need to think like WOTC's incompetent writing.

They'll buy Kaya from a slaver. Then magnanimously free her. Then Kaya will swear a life debt to the Gatewatch.

Kaya's Oath
1WB
When Kaya's Oath enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 Assassin token with deathtouch.

Whenever a Planeswalker you control would be dealt damage you may redirect that damage to you.

"Until all debts have been repaid, I will keep watch."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Siivola posted:

I can't help it! :negative:

Edit: No wait you can't swing with Courier more than once because the drat thing brings cards back to your hand. I'll just stop now. :cripes:

all you have to do is accidently miss the courier trigger twice, bam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

all you have to do is accidently miss the courier trigger twice, bam
That's how pros do it!

• Locked thread