Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

"Democrats" didn't. A voter in the Democratic party who does not hold sway, influence or power, did. There is a giant gently caress-off difference between these two points you are not acknowledging.

Hell, by this logic, Republicans cannot be racist, since A Republican Voter said he would leave the party if Trump became the nominee because he says racist things.

When someone was in a position where they could shut him out started using racist attacks against Ellison, the dems threw him the gently caress out. That shows the party leaderships attitude towards islamaphobia. Not whatever the gently caress Dershowitz thinks.
Yes, no one has ever heard of Alan Dershowitz which is why we're talking about him, and likewise why you're calling out these bigoted leftists by name, or at least if you did we'd all know who they are.

Also:

Frijolero posted:

You're equating social media nonsense to Ellison being called an anti-semite by major news corporations and donors like Haim Saban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Confounding Factor posted:

I agree with you on Clinton, she lost for a number of reasons and I'll admit it wasn't because of her economic proposals (whatever those were). However Americans are truly desperate for a change, and keeping with the status quo economically but socially more liberal (the perception of Hilary) wasn't going to cut it.

I almost want to say Hillary herself didn't play that large of a role with why she lost. There's just so many factors out of her control. I could sit here and blame her for being poorly inarticulate with her policies that would help Americans or just generally her poor messaging ("check out my website!"). Her campaign thought they could get away with just smearing Trump's character and they were almost right, however there are still too many older Americans that couldn't wait to pull the lever for Trump.

Like I think a lot of the analysis I've read post-election, like this is result of decades of neoliberal policies, the failure of identity politics, and so on I almost wonder if that's slightly knee-jerkish. For sure those are very valid interpretations and I buy those arguments but it's not like Trump won in a landslide victory so I'm hesitant to how

I still think a lot of the blame is squarely on Obama's failure to make some significant structural changes post-Recession and a lukewarm recovery pretty much costed Hilary's chances. Had we been in something of a booming economy she would have had a better chance. You might disagree but I still think the economy (and those affected by the sluggish recovery) principally had the most influence on voters. Of course the lack of enthusiasm for Hilary's campaign contributed, no doubt.

that a fascist won at all should tell you just how much neoliberalism has failed. if neoliberalism was meeting people's needs we would not be sliding towards the hitlerzone right now

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

like, there were thinkpieces being written all the time asking if ellison was really who we needed to appeal to voters in this new age of trumpism thanks to him being a black muslim.

remember when a centrist started blasting his nomination by bernie cause "bernie should really have nominated someone from the rust belt!!"?

we had the exact same handwringing about running a black candidate that we had when 08 obama was running. oddly enough, that self-same handwringing about scaring racist voters off helps to make sure that the dem party remains firmly under the control of lily-white people

And then they elected a Dominican. Small flaw in your argument.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

If you used racism to knock out the candidate you don't want, you're not excused because you withheld using it against the candidate you do.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

If you used racism to knock out the candidate you don't want, you're not excused because you withheld using it against the candidate you do.

If it's about maintaining a lily white hegemony as ranted and raved above, why is Perez any more acceptable than Ellison?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

not really. they used racism against the black candidate to install the whiter candidate. just like they smeared the jewish guy as racist and sexist so that a white woman could beat him.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

If it's about maintaining a lily white hegemony as ranted and raved above, why is Perez any more acceptable than Ellison?

he's whiter by a lot

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i for one think its very progressive that the democrats elected an ordained dominican friar as party chairman

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

he's whiter by a lot

:stare:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Agnosticnixie posted:

As very serious people have explained multiple times, donors give money out of the goodness of their hearts for no apparent reason and there is no influence tied to that whatsoever.

I bet you can't show me even one contract where Dershowitz got influence for his money, can you? I thought not. Checkmate. :smugdog:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

I don't agree that the Democrats are a white supremacy party. What they are is a class supremacy party: they want the party leadership to identify first and foremost with the professional class, and then the relationship with the working class is just to figure out the right sequence of words to say to peel off enough votes to win elections. I think both Perez and Ellison are largely on board with this, but Perez more than Ellison. Also, as I mentioned many times before the election, it's not just about who gets the position as how they get it: Ellison was the compromise candidate put forward by the leftist faction, which is why you had Sanders and Schumer coming out for him before he even declared. That the establishment then turned around and burned him anyway, for no other apparent reason than they didn't want to be seen compromising with the left (see: second sentence in this paragraph) says a lot.

Also, yeah. This:

Condiv posted:

he's whiter by a lot
Cut that poo poo out.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frijolero posted:

You're equating social media nonsense to Ellison being called an anti-semite by major news corporations and donors like Haim Saban.

Yeah, but who gives a poo poo what some Power Rangers guy has to say. Have you seen this mean tweet about Hillary from saxman32 thats been trending? Those Berniebros! :bahgawd:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also, are you people seriously gonna keep pretending that the connections Ellison had to the Nation of Islam, things he himself has acknowledged, were all a big neoliberal lie?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

Also, are you people seriously gonna keep pretending that the connections Ellison had to the Nation of Islam, things he himself has acknowledged, were all a big neoliberal lie?

The fact you care shows your racism.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Is it possible that keith ellison was the super predator hillary warned us about? Did she win after all?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kilroy posted:

Also, yeah. This:

Cut that poo poo out.

nah. dem leadership is really really white. like, sure they're trying not to be a racist party, but it's not easy when a vast majority of your leadership is white. if we get more PoC in the leadership of the dems we're more likely to have leadership that truly responds to the needs of minorities and the downtrodden:

quote:

The reason that the strategy and spending is so misguided and wasteful stems from the third structural flaw: the almost apartheid-like structure of the Democratic Party and progressive movement. The monochromatic composition of those who control most of the money in progressive politics more closely resembles old South Africa and not the rainbow coalition of voters who elected Obama and Clinton. The leaders and top staff of the Democratic Party and the progressive movement do not reflect the racial diversity of the party’s base. These managers, in turn, do not possess the cultural competence to run effective campaigns in a racially polarized electorate.

While “apartheid” language might sound harsh, looking at the structure of the progressive movement shows a glaring gulf between the composition of the people and the color of those in charge. Prior to Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s resignation as chair of the Democratic National Committee, and with the notable exception of Congressman Ben Ray Luján at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, nearly the entire top level of progressive leadership that controlled $1.5 billion in spending was made up of white people. The following table illustrates the problem. (The listed numbers are the budget of each organization.)
Democratic and Progressive Money In Election 2016

Leaders of Democratic and progressive fundraising organizations and how much they contributed to this year’s campaign. (Courtesy of PowerPAC+)

All of the individuals in the above table are good people, but none of them are from the hood. They don’t hang out in black barbershops and beauty salons. They don’t feel their hearts race when they see a police car’s lights shining in their rear view mirror. They don’t have family facing deportation to Mexico. They’ve never been told to “go back to where you came from,” called a racial slur, or told to speak English. They’ve never been detained at an airport because they look suspicious. They haven’t lived the experiences of the people who comprise almost half of all Democratic voters

To win elections in an increasingly multiracial nation requires leadership and top staff who come from, understand, and are committed to the rapidly growing communities of color that are transforming the composition of the country.

imo, we need more PoC in leadership in the dem party if we're going to actually properly represent PoC. pablo from the DNC highlighted this quite well in 2016 i think

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 3, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

holy poo poo. so not only do you think it's not a big deal, you actually subscribe to this racism

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

i have family in oklahoma, all who are more centrist and better supporters of hillary than i ever was. why do you still think they deserve to suffer more than dems living in a blood red state already do?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

he's whiter by a lot

:chloe:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

imo, we need more PoC in leadership in the dem party if we're going to actually properly represent PoC. pablo from the DNC highlighted this quite well in 2016 i think

7/10 of the DNC leadership are PoC or hispanic

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

holy poo poo. so not only do you think it's not a big deal, you actually subscribe to this racism

So, yes. You are going to pretend it didn't happen.

Condiv posted:

nah. dem leadership is really really white. like, sure they're trying not to be a racist party, but it's not easy when a vast majority of your leadership is white. if we get more PoC in the leadership of the dems we're more likely to have leadership that truly responds to the needs of minorities and the downtrodden:
Yeah, look at the white man who had the job before Perez.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Condiv posted:

On the other hand, that Baltimore major.

I also don't get what you're trying to say. Perez is not white.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv is right tho. When I heard about Dem leadership support for Perez I thought "Ya'll couldn't have picked a whiter latino." (Source: I'm a light skinned latino)

Ellison is a black former NOI supporter. Tom Perez is an upper class Euro-bred Dominican.

One is clearly "whiter" and more palatable to the ultra-white ultra-rich Dem elite.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i would appreciate it if you would actually contradict your old post if you're going to pretend to be leftist

were you not aware that that matters a lot in the context of race? people who are closer to the white ideal are treated better by our racist system

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

So yes you are a racist.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Frijolero posted:

Condiv is right tho. When I heard about Dem leadership support for Perez I thought "Ya'll couldn't have picked a whiter latino." (Source: I'm a light skinned latino)

Ellison is a black former NOI supporter. Tom Perez is an upper class Euro-bred Dominican.

One is clearly "whiter" and more palatable to the ultra-white ultra-rich Dem elite.
Okay cool so it's a class distinction and not a racial one. So say that. When you substitute "white" for upper class you're just undercutting your own argument.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

No one thinks it's a lie, you gross idiot. They (correctly) think it's meaningless.

It's like saying "well you can't deny that Ellison IS Muslim, huhu?!?"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

she was only chair because DWS, hillary's faithful, had to step down.

also, i'm aware of his association with the nation of islam. i'm also aware he's not an anti-semite, which is hinted at by a certain loveable semite nominating him. hell, his jewish constituents came out during the election to correct the record on that smear, making it clear that they loved him.

7/10 of the DNC leadership are PoC or hispanic
[/quote]

i'm glad the leadership of the DNC is finally not lily-white a few months after they really needed PoC leading. there's still alot of other leadership positions that are held by white people. let's keep replacing them till we are at a much more representative population imo

Kilroy posted:

On the other hand, that Baltimore major.

I also don't get what you're trying to say. Perez is not white.

i'm not gonna pretend black people, or other PoC are flawless allies. however, it's hard for us to actually address black people's needs as white people, because the system we live in does it's damndest to hide racism from our sight. hence why we need more PoC in leadership positions

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 3, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

What's Euro-bred mean here

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Fulchrum posted:

Holy poo poo lmao

Literally fear mongering a Muslim congressman lol

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

to those who say republicans are misogynist, i would note that 9/10 of rnc leadership were born of a living woman's womb

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Fulchrum posted:

This is like saying, "The Motion Picture Academy isn't overwhelmingly white and old; its president is a black woman!"

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Fulchrum posted:

Help all I see is republicans in every level and branch of government

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calibanibal posted:

to those who say republicans are misogynist, i would note that 9/10 of rnc leadership were born of a living woman's womb

That'd be relevant if the criticism was "RNC needs more humans not people born of axlotl tanks"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pedro De Heredia posted:

No one thinks it's a lie, you gross idiot. They (correctly) think it's meaningless.

It's like saying "well you can't deny that Ellison IS Muslim, huhu?!?"

So you're saying you think that Islam is inherently anti-Semitic? Cause that's the only way your comparison makes any sense.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Condiv posted:

i'm not gonna pretend black people, or other PoC are flawless allies. however, it's hard for us to actually address black people's needs as white people, because the system we live in does it's damndest to hide racism from our sight. hence why we need more PoC in leadership positions
But it's not enough, is it? If it was you'd be pleased with Perez because he's definitely a PoC, and if he threatened the "white" establishment in his PoC-ness they wouldn't have burned Ellison in favor of him. That's why I'm saying the distinction here is one of class, not race, and that's important to focus on because PoC like Perez are quite able and willing to preserve that class supremacy, and even if we fill every position in the entire DNC with PoC it's not going to mean a drat thing if they're serving the interests of our national elite first and foremost.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

What's Euro-bred mean here

if i had to guess, he's intimating that perez is closer to the french or the english than native dominican

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kilroy posted:

But it's not enough, is it? If it was you'd be pleased with Perez because he's definitely a PoC, and if he threatened the "white" establishment in his PoC-ness they wouldn't have burned Ellison in favor of him. That's why I'm saying the distinction here is one of class, not race, and that's important to focus on because PoC like Perez are quite able and willing to preserve that class supremacy, and even if we fill every position in the entire DNC with PoC it's not going to mean a drat thing if they're serving the interests of our national elite first and foremost.

no it's not enough. and yes, class focus is important too. we want to avoid leaders like pugh who propagate the economic injustice that dems like to pretend isn't related to racism at all.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Taking all bets on whether Condiv or Crowsbeak will be the first to use the m word to describe President Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Fulchrum posted:

Taking all bets on whether Condiv or Crowsbeak will be the first to use the m word to describe President Obama.

Milquetoast?

• Locked thread