Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm actually on Walmart's side here.

Given that a huge number of people encounter this problem with Excel, it's more efficient to simply change the format on the form, than for thousands of IT managers spend their time explaining to their colleagues how to use Excel properly. Twice a week. Every week. I am looking at you: Marge in Accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

spog posted:

I'm actually on Walmart's side here.

Given that a huge number of people encounter this problem with Excel, it's more efficient to simply change the format on the form, than for thousands of IT managers spend their time explaining to their colleagues how to use Excel properly. Twice a week. Every week. I am looking at you: Marge in Accounts.

And I'm guessing this wasn't a flippant request by Walmart because one guy complained. They probably had some guy dive into 1426 tickets regarding scientific notation in Excel, calculate the cost of all those support tickets, and compare it to the cost of changing the form.

A lot of people don't know how to use Excel and the training cost for that size organization would be phenomenal.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I totally get it. Walmart is always seen as this IT behemoth but their vendor facing side is a complete wreck

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bob Morales posted:

I totally get it. Walmart is always seen as this IT behemoth but their vendor facing side is a complete wreck

The whole company's pretty terrible, imo.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Bob Morales posted:

loving Walmart

They require you to put a label on anything you send them, no big deal.

They are mandating that a previously numeric field has a letter added to it, SO THAT IT DOESN'T GET CONVERTED TO SCIENTIFIC NOTATION

Thank you, Excel.

Bonus points if E is a valid letter for the field.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Super Soaker Party! posted:

For non profits datacenter licenses are only like $400 or so (haven't actually checked what it is now with 2016's hosed up licensing). I know nonprofits have no money, at all, ever, because one of our most troublesome clients is exactly that and has no hardware newer than 2012, but we've got all the Microsoft software in the world (SCCM etc) even with their lovely non-budget because it's all just a relatively tiny admin fee. Your non profit can't swing $800 in licensing hosts?

I'm sure we could, but our CFO (my boss) decided that the $80 admin fee standard license would be better for us than the $400 datacenter.

If I'm ever in the position to upgrade to the 2016 version it will be a non issue. I just looked and I can get 2016 Datacenter for a $58 admin fee. 2016 Standard is only $8.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Max Peck posted:

Bonus points if E is a valid letter for the field.
That makes me laugh waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than it should.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

To the best of my knowledge Walmart IT has been outsourced to IBM and is run almost wholly off shore. So.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aunt Beth posted:

To the best of my knowledge Walmart IT has been outsourced to IBM and is run almost wholly off shore. So.

Sounds about right.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Here's the main site

I like the names of these two

Here's a nice happy one

Many of the links don't even work

loving clipart?

They're all a little different

mewse
May 2, 2006

I kinda wish I was on the walton bux gravy train (as a 2 yr cash register veteran)

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

PremiumSupport posted:

I'm sure we could, but our CFO (my boss) decided that the $80 admin fee standard license would be better for us than the $400 datacenter.

If I'm ever in the position to upgrade to the 2016 version it will be a non issue. I just looked and I can get 2016 Datacenter for a $58 admin fee. 2016 Standard is only $8.

2016 is now licensed per core with a minimum of 16 core licenses per host. That price quoted is the price for a 2 core license pack. So you will need 8 of them.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

Not a clue. All I know is that we're using a company called ringcentral, that IPphones were bought for four specific people in this office and that everyone else is on headsets. I know the headset users work on a login that can time out, same as the meeting room phones, so I just assumed the same thing for the IP phones :shrug:

Its definitely highlighted a lack of knowledge for me though, so that's my next project!

I've worked with Ringcentral a bunch, and the only time I've had anything like what you describe happen is when there has been packetloss between a site and the ringcentral cloud. Check both TCP and UDP over long stretches if you can.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I :love: dealing with VOIP quality pissing matches.

customer: Hey we're getting 1-way audio intermittantly
Me: Alright I'll look at the firewall (since that's all we manage), but you should have cloud provider and ISP look at their stuff
Cloud provider: Nope, I pinged their network a few times, no loss or excessive latency, must be firewall or ISP
ISP: Nope, we pinged the cloud server and their firewall, we don't see latency or loss, must be firewall

The exchange was obviously much longer than this, but everyone was pointing fingers and then ISP/cloud provider decided to gang up on our firewall and got the customer to go along with it, instead of actually putting in effort and looking into their poo poo.

me: :murder:

Firewall is fine, of course, but it obviously could have been the issue so of course I do my due diligence.

The issue randomly fixed itself after 2 days, probably because the ISPs poo poo was hosed up.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
gently caress
When's the best time for the network to blow out? 10 minutes before the office closes of course.

First I was trying to sort someones crappy printing problem when suddenly a few people ask each other if their stuff has suddenly dropped offline, I have a quick look and yep they've lost network connectivity. I get to my machine and LibreNMS is in holy poo poo everything is hosed mode, but its only reporting certain network switches are offline and holds true as some people are unaffected. All the while I'm going around doing my thing this socially inept fucker keeps following me asking about his drat print job, I have to leave everyone to their fate as I need to get home in time for the childminder drop off so I peace out.

At home I can at least RDP back in despite being incredibly laggy so hope wasn't all lost (commands would take a minute or two to register), I tried to access two core switches but the web interface wouldn't load on them and I can't get terminal access so my last option was the switch at the top of the chain. Manage to log in and there's a nice event log of a certain port going nuts (Blessed be HP Aruba)... Port 5 you are dead to me and I don't care what's on the other side, disable port and then hey presto instant network performance.

I was getting a bit anxious since people work on Saturdays days and there is no support available, I also got my folks visiting so no way in hell would I do an emergency drive-in. I might use this opportunity to complain that this is the reality of me being pulled pillar-to-post everyday where I literally do not have time to do any kind of network security, might also try to score another HP Aruba and get rid of the other switches.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you sure it wasn't 'just' a broadcast storm etherblast? Do you have BPDU protection etc. turned on for edge ports? STP and its variants will only help if someone loops into your switches, it won't stop somebody plugging in a dumb switch and looping that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MF_James posted:

I :love: dealing with VOIP quality pissing matches.

Packet captures are the one true answer. A capture of a bad call at the WAN side of your firewall will tell you everything you need to know if your equipment is responsible, and will prove your case to any reasonable person at the other companies. The tricky thing of course is if it's intermittent you may not have a mechanism for long-term captures. That's my minimum requirement for considering a remote phone to be officially supported for my customers, they must have a firewall where I can run packet captures on the phone traffic if needed and either store a reasonable amount on the device or forward it somewhere else.

That said, one way audio is almost universally a NAT problem. That's one of three things. Either the phone is not correctly configured for NAT traversal, the firewall is doing something unexpected, or the service provider's NAT handling is not configured correctly. Unless the ISP is tampering with your traffic, either through extra firewalling or actual explicit modification of the messages, it's probably not them.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

wolrah posted:

Packet captures are the one true answer. A capture of a bad call at the WAN side of your firewall will tell you everything you need to know if your equipment is responsible, and will prove your case to any reasonable person at the other companies. The tricky thing of course is if it's intermittent you may not have a mechanism for long-term captures. That's my minimum requirement for considering a remote phone to be officially supported for my customers, they must have a firewall where I can run packet captures on the phone traffic if needed and either store a reasonable amount on the device or forward it somewhere else.

That said, one way audio is almost universally a NAT problem. That's one of three things. Either the phone is not correctly configured for NAT traversal, the firewall is doing something unexpected, or the service provider's NAT handling is not configured correctly. Unless the ISP is tampering with your traffic, either through extra firewalling or actual explicit modification of the messages, it's probably not them.

Well, our firewall has been running fine for weeks (yes everything works until it doesn't), we rebooted it, had engineers from fortinet look at it and swapped to another of the same model and applied the same config/firmware, config has remained static for the past 2-3 weeks, well before the issue began. I'm not saying it STILL couldn't be the firewall, but I highly doubt it. Due to intermittent nature of the issue it's been difficult to packet capture it, but we DO have the capability and had been attempting to.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you sure it wasn't 'just' a broadcast storm etherblast? Do you have BPDU protection etc. turned on for edge ports? STP and its variants will only help if someone loops into your switches, it won't stop somebody plugging in a dumb switch and looping that.
I'm pretty sure its a loop of my own doing. As recounting the last things I moved was swapping machines over from two desks, the one possible source being an IP phone which has a piggy back connection to a PC and also a non-PoE switch. All our phones are PoE but because of lovely desk layout this one in particular needed a power supply, I probably should've been more prudent checking it over as normally they spring into life when wired up with Ethernet alone.

And nope STP isn't enabled, one of the wrong older core switches is stuck as the root bridge which I haven't had time to figure out yet. Kind of why I'm more inclined to get another Aruba so the network backbone is all matching equipment.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MF_James posted:

Well, our firewall has been running fine for weeks (yes everything works until it doesn't), we rebooted it, had engineers from fortinet look at it and swapped to another of the same model and applied the same config/firmware, config has remained static for the past 2-3 weeks, well before the issue began. I'm not saying it STILL couldn't be the firewall, but I highly doubt it. Due to intermittent nature of the issue it's been difficult to packet capture it, but we DO have the capability and had been attempting to.

NAT is loving weird and can absolutely be the cause of intermittent problems. Even if firewall rules don't change, NAT tables can update themselves or start doing bizarre stuff seemingly at random.

e; and to that point (but not to open this can of worms), IPPBX is probably the best justification to push IPv6 and get away from lovely NAT tables.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 31, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MF_James posted:

Does the provider run media through their system or do they reinvite directly to a termination point? If the former, can you set your firewall to log any blocked or dropped traffic involving their IP(s)? If the latter, that's a real bitch with NAT and some kind of SIP-aware ALG may be required. I used to resell a company who did that and we considered any NAT configurations to be best effort with them.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

NAT is loving weird and can absolutely be the cause of intermittent problems. Even if firewall rules don't change, NAT tables can update themselves or start doing bizarre stuff seemingly at random.

e; and to that point (but not to open this can of worms), IPPBX is probably the best justification to push IPv6 and get away from lovely NAT tables.
Agreed on both. For example if your firewall's NAT timeout is slightly less than the phone's re-registration time you can have a device that works normally most of the time but occasionally misses an inbound call. Intermittent one-way doesn't really fit that specific issue, but I'd still generally assume it's the client-side NAT until proven otherwise because in my experience it pretty much always is.

Considering how much of a pain NAT can be it's amazing how few VoIP devices actually support IPv6 properly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MF_James posted:

My gripes with packet captures on Fortigate is that

a) you have convert type 3 or type 6 captures with a loving Perl script to get pcap format.

b) there no facility to send capture data to a remote system. I'm not even asking for rpcap, even just dumping the capture to a file via SFTP would be OK (still have to run that asinine script)

Not unique to Fortinet, long term packet cap can impact performance depending on traffic volume and device in question. Really, the only decent solution I've found is to have taps in place and use rpcap. But that can get expensive (or time consuming if you have a pool of taps you deploy as needed) when you have hundreds or thousands of points that would be candidates for pcap (I'm looking at you retail/financial deployments).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

EoRaptor posted:

I've worked with Ringcentral a bunch, and the only time I've had anything like what you describe happen is when there has been packetloss between a site and the ringcentral cloud. Check both TCP and UDP over long stretches if you can.

Ok, cheers. I'll monitor it!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Bosses and coworkers that don't let you know about training/availability schedules, or pull last-second bullshit, are the bane of my existence. Found out today that the guy I normally partner with was put in a "last minute" training class for all this week - boss didn't say anything, partner didn't say anything, I only found out because partner had an auto reply message saying he wouldn't be available all week. So both my boss and partner failed yet again to say anything to me until the last minute, and now I get to look at another fun week of extra work because of their lack of planning and our offices being short-staffed.

Thank goodness I spent the last week :yotj:-ing and sending my resume out - real sick of dealing with bullshit like this. Not the first time it's happened, and my partner likes to use his wife/kids to take last minute PTO, take extended lunches, and constantly show up late or bounce out early. I'm usually here 20 minutes before my shift and end up either staying late, working through lunch, or sometimes both. Think I may end up on the list of people who quit on the spot without giving notice, I'm sick of the excuses and tired of being treated like a loving second class citizen whose life and free time don't matter because I'm not married with kids.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Bosses and coworkers that don't let you know about training/availability schedules, or pull last-second bullshit, are the bane of my existence. Found out today that the guy I normally partner with was put in a "last minute" training class for all this week - boss didn't say anything, partner didn't say anything, I only found out because partner had an auto reply message saying he wouldn't be available all week. So both my boss and partner failed yet again to say anything to me until the last minute, and now I get to look at another fun week of extra work because of their lack of planning and our offices being short-staffed.

Thank goodness I spent the last week :yotj:-ing and sending my resume out - real sick of dealing with bullshit like this. Not the first time it's happened, and my partner likes to use his wife/kids to take last minute PTO, take extended lunches, and constantly show up late or bounce out early. I'm usually here 20 minutes before my shift and end up either staying late, working through lunch, or sometimes both. Think I may end up on the list of people who quit on the spot without giving notice, I'm sick of the excuses and tired of being treated like a loving second class citizen whose life and free time don't matter because I'm not married with kids.

Stop doing that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

Stop doing that.

No poo poo. My girlfriend is like that. "I stayed late to finish some stuff up"
Were you punched in? "No my boss said he can't pay overtime"
Go the gently caress home at 5:00 then.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Buy her flowers.

And start following her advice :colbert:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I love how people treat labor differently than any other good or service. If you pay only part of the power bill because of whatever excuse you made up, they'll just shut it off eventually and everyone is ok with this.

Your workers though, you just push and push and take and take and if you try to say anything you just get fired.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Unless you are doing a public service, there is little honor is working past what you are getting paid for. All your doing is making someone else rich. And those people might not even know your loving name.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
In case someone isn't watching the "a ticket came in.." thread...

Microsoft's public SNTP server, time.windows.com (used by default starting with Windows XP) started pushing out completely borked responses this morning and several hours later is still doing so. It has been pushing out random offsets and the leap second indicator is stuck on, causing computers using it as a source to be anywhere from minutes to an hour off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/635tgo/psa_timewindowscom_ntp_server_seems_to_be_sending/

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

No poo poo. My girlfriend is like that. "I stayed late to finish some stuff up"
Were you punched in? "No my boss said he can't pay overtime"
Go the gently caress home at 5:00 then.

It is unprofessional to work longer than for what you are compensated.

15 minutes in a month is one thing, but at the point when you make a habit of it you are being unprofessional. It screws yourself and your family, and it prevents the people you are helping from seriously addressing the underlying problem.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

porkface posted:

It is unprofessional to work longer than for what you are compensated.

15 minutes in a month is one thing, but at the point when you make a habit of it you are being unprofessional. It screws yourself and your family, and it prevents the people you are helping from seriously addressing the underlying problem.

Yea, it comes down to her staying 2 hours late and then me saying "Why did you stay there 2 hours late and not get paid?"

"Well, it has to get done and nobody else in my department can do it"

So loving what. That's your manager's problem, not yours. What are they going to do, fire you ?Then none of it will get done.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, it comes down to her staying 2 hours late and then me saying "Why did you stay there 2 hours late and not get paid?"

"Well, it has to get done and nobody else in my department can do it"

So loving what. That's your manager's problem, not yours. What are they going to do, fire you ?Then none of it will get done.

There's probably a clever quote out there; but basically there will always be work that needs to be done and tomorrow will always come, so there's no point busting your balls staying late since the only thing you'll accomplish is giving yourself less personal time.

I'll be honest I've stayed late a couple times to do stuff like hardware installs that can't be done during business hours, but then I just come into work later (of course ymmv).

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

stevewm posted:

In case someone isn't watching the "a ticket came in.." thread...

Microsoft's public SNTP server, time.windows.com (used by default starting with Windows XP) started pushing out completely borked responses this morning and several hours later is still doing so. It has been pushing out random offsets and the leap second indicator is stuck on, causing computers using it as a source to be anywhere from minutes to an hour off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/635tgo/psa_timewindowscom_ntp_server_seems_to_be_sending/

I was wondering why I ate lunch early today, the clock on my home PC was off.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

PremiumSupport posted:

Some of us work for organizations that don't have much (any) cash to spend on such things. In the not-for-profit world especially, you get your 2 VM Win 2012 license and you'd better be able to make the finance package, HVAC, Exchange, domain controller, and all other specialized software work without issue because you're not getting any more licenses. Best practice? In my dreams. Right now Exchange is the only service with it's own server, It's got the second VM all to itself. Everything else gets crammed onto the first VM. :smithicide:

Look into techsoup for licensing. A not for profit can get heavily discounted software from microsoft and adobe and cheap hardware from cisco and sonicwall. Office 365 is really really cheap too for non profits.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Super Slash posted:

There's probably a clever quote out there; but basically there will always be work that needs to be done and tomorrow will always come, so there's no point busting your balls staying late since the only thing you'll accomplish is giving yourself less personal time.

I'll be honest I've stayed late a couple times to do stuff like hardware installs that can't be done during business hours, but then I just come into work later (of course ymmv).

Yeah, I stayed late for a few months (I was also learning a lot by doing so) but was quickly burning out and came to the realization that the pile of poo poo will never disappear even if I worked 24/7.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People who would rather labour a point rather than engage in a way to get their issue fixed must be making themselves feel better, as long as they realise that they are getting no closer to an actual resolution of whatever they have come to us for. I get it, I/we hosed up, but choosing to spend an entire day reminding us of that fact rather than explaining how you want to progress from this point is not making me see your point of view.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
On the opposite end of the spectrum I'm getting really tired of asking for support and getting a short essay of why thing is broken, what's been done in the past to attempt fixing it, and how my predecessor was going to spend thousands of dollars to fix it instead of putting together a proper solution.

Nowhere in there explains how this problem will be addressed going forward or who will put together a solution proposal to meet my support request. It's all hand waving and excuses. And it pisses me off to no end when I'm paying thousands a month for that kind of service.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Judge Schnoopy posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum I'm getting really tired of asking for support and getting a short essay of why thing is broken, what's been done in the past to attempt fixing it, and how my predecessor was going to spend thousands of dollars to fix it instead of putting together a proper solution.

Nowhere in there explains how this problem will be addressed going forward or who will put together a solution proposal to meet my support request. It's all hand waving and excuses. And it pisses me off to no end when I'm paying thousands a month for that kind of service.
Well, first of all, don't spend thousands of dollars a month on your forums account,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

He's the only reason the forums are still up.