Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Is this doing parenting right? :3:

Hell yes it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Decent number of people out on the T2 mound today!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Joe's Award says IndyCar's could be at Melbourne

quote:

The word in Melbourne was that the V8s, now known only as Supercars, will be hosting a championship round at the Grand Prix next year, something which Mr E always rejected. The new management of the Formula One group has a very different approach and there have even been suggestions that they might be willing to share the billing with IndyCars…

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/03/30/notebook-from-paris/

People are now theorycrafting shared weekends at COTA, CGV and Mexico City for some reason in the comments.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I'd take Crapwagon posters more seriously than that guy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I'd take Crapwagon posters more seriously than that guy.

a good post.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

Joe's Award says IndyCar's could be at Melbourne

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/03/30/notebook-from-paris/

People are now theorycrafting shared weekends at COTA, CGV and Mexico City for some reason in the comments.

They should also go to the Calamari Desert.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ed's only bringing 2 cars to Indy, also the wording of this tweet made me laugh.
https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/848926640142811136

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

33 is gonna be a struggle

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

33 is gonna be a struggle

Indeed it is. :( Losing an ECR ride hurts a bit extra because that's one of the more competitive one-off cars.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Who ran like 6-7 cars one year? Dick Simon?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Marshall Pruett podcast had an interesting idea, house cars. The series picks up the tab for 2-3 cars and use them for the 500. Offer them to ride buyers or one offs from the champions of other series.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Isn't the series already picking up the tab for 2-3 cars a year on the quiet to get to 33 anyway?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They used to. Like 06 when the IRL brokered the last car on the night before bump day after Marty Roth crashed and there was only gonna be 32. They were paying for like 5 other cars that year, too.

I think lately its been more limited to the series playing matchmaker between sponsors/engines and teams, and getting partners to kick in sweeteners like Firestone giving free tires. This year they may have to straight pay though.

The issue this year is the same lack of aerokits/tubs/engines as last year. And to be fair to the team owners, there is no fuckin way I would pay the $300-400k for a speedway aerokit if I didn't already have one to run the 500 this year, knowing full well they will be worthless the day after the race. (They are using the speedway kits again this year, but the full time runners already have enough for that unless the 500 is a crash fest)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

The issue this year is the same lack of aerokits/tubs/engines as last year. And to be fair to the team owners, there is no fuckin way I would pay the $300-400k for a speedway aerokit if I didn't already have one to run the 500 this year, knowing full well they will be worthless the day after the race. (They are using the speedway kits again this year, but the full time runners already have enough for that unless the 500 is a crash fest)

For the record, there's no requirement in the rules that teams use manufacturer-specific aero kits. They are free to use the stock Dallara aero (with the hole in the floor cut out). Granted nobody would do that since they'd be at a competitive disadvantage, but the option is there.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

what the hell is happening on this dumbass planet

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/04/04-03-Loki-sponsors-Pigot

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Man they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel for sponsors nowadays, but money is money :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

Man they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel for sponsors nowadays, but money is money :unsmith:

Yup. As long as there's racing and someone picking up the tab, so be it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

That dog looks like a good boy

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

fuckin lol

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's not like goofball sponsors are a new thing guys...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

thats some good banner placement

also yes, thats a targeted ad because i support americas original social media influencing dog, the Big Dog dog who is large

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

For the record, there's no requirement in the rules that teams use manufacturer-specific aero kits. They are free to use the stock Dallara aero (with the hole in the floor cut out). Granted nobody would do that since they'd be at a competitive disadvantage, but the option is there.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Spend the money for a one-race only effort, or don't and ensure that nobody wants to sponsor a nearly guaranteed loss.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

if i remember correctly, chevy/honda wont let you run their engine without the kit, even if the rules allow it (i think this came out with lazier back in '14)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

dentist toy box posted:

That dog looks like a good boy

they're good dogs, brent

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I have no idea what's going on. Surely some social media influencer isn't dropping $100k+ to sponsor a car?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Loki just likes race cars and wants to use his fortune wisely also AHH HE'S GONNA BE AT THE TRACK SOMEONE SAY HI FOR ME

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Is anyone going to be at the Phoenix race except for me and IOC?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Bentai posted:

Is anyone going to be at the Phoenix race except for me and IOC?

My dad will be there and I will hopefully be back from overseas work duties in time to make it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Is there a way to up the car count in the "500" without causing harm to the series itself?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

So long as the Susan G Komen foundation for increasing awareness of Susan G Komen is still on the side of Pippa's car, that's not the worst we got.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Roberto Guerrero being sponsored by Dianetics has to be up there too

e: and Amway sponsoring Brayton

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 4, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The cones at Cleveland in 2000 were retarded. It's not autocross FFS.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Roberto Guerrero being sponsored by Dianetics has to be up there too

e: and Amway sponsoring Brayton

If you haven't read it yet, the article about the Dianetics sponsorship is absolutely amazing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Someone (you?) posted this last year, it's one of the best things I've ever read. Incredible story.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/SageKaram/status/849438183418941441

Just fuckin' :laffo: man. Fuckin'...

You just know Jordan Taylor's going to parody that in like 3 seconds.

e- https://twitter.com/MarcoAndretti/status/849441087349567488

When Marco Andretti shits on you, it's time to go home. :roflolmao:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 5, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

#Shirts4Sage

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dixon with used tires is a work of art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdllACwB-Tk&t=104s

Sure, whatever, thats fine

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did Sage already delete that tweet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did Sage already delete that tweet?

Sure looks that way.

• Locked thread