Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
The Spirit film lead to my favorite game poster ever, so I can't really be too mad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never seen the movie version of The Spirit - how bad is it?

I still contend that at some point in their friendship Will Eisner did something to massively piss off Frank Miller. Miller then made the Spirit (the biggest piece of cinematic poo poo in history) as revenge.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well it was Miller's first attempt at being the primary director and his writing was already quite bad at the time, so the combination of the two things probably didn't help.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have never read a thing from the Spirit, and I loved the movie. Sam Jackson chewing scenery in full Nazi garb will always be amazing. The only character who takes things seriously is the Spirit, and when is not his POV, he's a doofus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chewing scenery isn't meant to be a compliment.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aphrodite posted:

Tell that to John Barrowman.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aphrodite posted:

but it inevitably is as far as I'm concerned

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Good actors arriving on the set, realising the movie's a bit crap and deciding the roll with it is usually good fun. I went to see Eragon in the cinema when it came out for some reason and thought Robert Carlyle and John Malkovich were by far the most entertaining parts of the movie. Or Al Pacino in Dick Tracy ("They said I kidnapped ya! I didn't kidnap ya! But, I'm kidnapping ya now! Does life imitate art? So many questions, so few answers.").

Samuel L. Jackson is really good at it. Did anyone ever see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? Tim Burton movie from a couple of years ago; it's a fairly rote YA adaptation except for any scene where Jackson appears as the main villain and completely changes the tone of the movie (granted, you may think to its detriment, but it's a fairly dull movie otherwise).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wheat Loaf posted:

As someone who had very little to any love or knowledge of the source material it was grand.

It's visually stunning in the same way 300 and Sin City were. The plot is gonzo. Seeing Samuel Jackson change costumes for no reason is cool.
And the dialogue is just the right level of ludicrous.
"I'm going to kill you all kinds of dead."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Barely coherent.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are making an Invincible movie

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/04/04/seth-rogen-and-evan-goldberg-are-making-an-invincible-movie

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah, the first NC-17 rated superhero movie.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

Samuel L. Jackson is really good at it. Did anyone ever see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? Tim Burton movie from a couple of years ago; it's a fairly rote YA adaptation except for any scene where Jackson appears as the main villain and completely changes the tone of the movie (granted, you may think to its detriment, but it's a fairly dull movie otherwise).

Didn't it come out a few months ago? Am I in a time warp? With Eva Green right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If I was doing it I would make like the entire movie kind of a normal coming of age superhero thing and then pull the rug out at the very end with the reveal about Mark's dad.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

If I was doing it I would make like the entire movie kind of a normal coming of age superhero thing and then pull the rug out at the very end with the reveal about Mark's dad.

Nah do that at the end of the first act. the pace of that sounds boring as hell.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Ah, the first NC-17 rated superhero movie.

Grotesque violence in a comic or if it's animated is fine and fun, even. If it's live action though it's just... well, grotesque.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Lobok posted:

Grotesque violence in a comic or if it's animated is fine and fun, even. If it's live action though it's just... well, grotesque.

Eh don't worry, if it's anything like Preacher the characters will have different origins/personalities.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Chickenwalker posted:

Holy poo poo, I assumed it was Helena Bonham-Carter.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Holy poo poo, I assumed it was Helena Bonham-Carter.

Her and Burton divorced and Green is his new muse

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Dacap posted:

Her and Burton divorced and Green is his new muse

Dude has a type.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Winona Rider dodged a loving bullet, huh?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker posted:

Huh. Just went and looked on Wikipedia and apparently it came out last September. I thought it was older than that. (Only saw it recently on DVD after my sister recommended it to me.)

Yeah, Eva Green posing with a crossbow is front and centre on the movie poster and DVD cover but the actual main character is played by Asa Butterfield.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 4, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Maybe an Invincible movie could be good if they didn't have the ridiculous gore and maybe hold back on the constant need to poo poo on mark's life.

There's some good characters and concepts in invincible that could work well for the big screen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Maybe an Invincible movie could be good if they didn't have the ridiculous gore and maybe hold back on the constant need to poo poo on mark's life.

There's some good characters and concepts in invincible that could work well for the big screen.

An invincible movie that didn't try to be comic accurate could be solid because the early baseline of the comic is a remarkably compelling idea and even the first big twist doesn't sour that too much. I just don't have a ton of faith that they wouldn't focus on the "wow that Superman knockoff totally crushed that guy's head" stuff instead.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

pretty bad, but very entertaining.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As someone who read the whole run a couple of months ago, I think y'all are overstating the amount of violence in the comic. There are absolutely some of the goriest superhero fights in the history of comics in the book BUT they aren't so common as to be ubiquitous. You don't even really see any crazy violence before Mark gets the poo poo beat out of him by his dad. And almost all of the crazy bloodsoaked fights involve the Vitrumites so it would depend a lot on how much of that stuff they put in there. I think XO's suggestion to put the dad reveal at the end of the movie is a great idea.

Also I like the gore and violence in Invincible, I think it's cool and done in a very artistic way :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Invincible ending soon?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I saw Power Rangers and thought it was pretty good.

I liked the characterization and development, and Rita chewing up the scenery was great.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Isn't Invincible ending soon?

I think it's about to start or just started it's final (12-ish issue) arc, but it could easily take 2 years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

As someone who read the whole run a couple of months ago, I think y'all are overstating the amount of violence in the comic. There are absolutely some of the goriest superhero fights in the history of comics in the book BUT they aren't so common as to be ubiquitous. You don't even really see any crazy violence before Mark gets the poo poo beat out of him by his dad. And almost all of the crazy bloodsoaked fights involve the Vitrumites so it would depend a lot on how much of that stuff they put in there. I think XO's suggestion to put the dad reveal at the end of the movie is a great idea.

Also I like the gore and violence in Invincible, I think it's cool and done in a very artistic way :colbert:

"Before Mark fights his dad" is like 1/10th of the comic and after that it is absurd, excessive and insane violence on an incredibly regular basis.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Can you spoil me on that Invincible twist? I bought the first volume from a sale and knowing it might actually motivate me to read it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Invincible is absolutely incredibly super violent. I heard it even ramped up after I fell out of reading it. But for the first 60 issues or so it's super violent most of the time. But never in a dark and gritty super extreme way. It's still a rather standard tone superhero story except when the heroes and villains fight the blood flows. The contrast of the bright art style and standard superhero story with the hyper violence is absolutely intentional.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

X-O posted:

Invincible is absolutely incredibly super violent. I heard it even ramped up after I fell out of reading it. But for the first 60 issues or so it's super violent most of the time. But never in a dark and gritty super extreme way. It's still a rather standard tone superhero story except when the heroes and villains fight the blood flows. The contrast of the bright art style and standard superhero story with the hyper violence is absolutely intentional.

That's the twist? I google image searched Invincible gore and got a sea of red. I was wondering more along the lines of the story, like if the protag's father is really Darth Vader or something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

More like his dad is Vegeta.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

parallelodad posted:

Ok, this convinces me to start reading

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The dad is Superman if Superman was secretly Vegeta and also he comes from a race ruled over by super Freddie Mercury.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Yeah, it's that brightness that is interesting about it. Usually gory comics are dark and murky, not on the Superman TAS color palette.

I guess my point isn't that it's not violent but more that they type of gory violence isn't so essential to the characters and story of Invincible that you'd have to include it in a movie adaptation. Gory violence in all colors and tones is common in film so if you wanted to be true to the purpose of it on the page, you'd have to find a way to make it novel on the screen.

parallelodad posted:

lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Ok, this convinces me to start reading

The twist is exactly that, yes. His dad comes from a race of super warriors who were sent to take over the Earth but he falls in love with a human woman and has a half-human kid and it gets him all conflicted. His son has no idea and just thought he was Superman.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I have no clue how you guys square a pregnant woman having her leg graphically torn off of her body, to name one example from hundreds with "this comic isn't that extreme or gory" unless you truly have no concept of how jaded you are. Imagine the gore of the Walking Dead comic plus super strength and through the stylistic lens of Superman the Animated Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

I have no clue how you guys square a pregnant woman having her leg graphically torn off of her body, to name one example from hundreds with "this comic isn't that extreme or gory" unless you truly have no concept of how jaded you are. Imagine the gore of the Walking Dead comic plus super strength and through the stylistic lens of Superman the Animated Series

Probably because no one said it wasn't extreme or violent.

I think the confusion is that I meant "amount" as "incidences" rather than "intensity of"

• Locked thread