Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Decline and Fall on the BBC was actually really good, well worth watching. Paul Pennyfeather [Whitehall] is unfairly kicked out of Oxford and, disgraced, has no option but to become a schoolmaster in a Welsh second-rate private school, run by Dr Fagan [Suchet].

Whitehall playing against character (at least to a certain extent) is extremely bearable, and Douglas Hodge plays an excellent serially-fired washed up peg-legged boozer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of playing against type, has anyone watched Rowan Atkinson as Maigret on the ITV? I've only seen the trailers but I have read some of the Maigret stories and enjoyed them. Is this TV series any good? Atkinson's just one of those guys who it's really strange to see doing drama even though he's good at it. Like Sir David Jason in A Touch of Frost.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Saw the New Year's episode, it's very pleasant and the period Parisian setting is a nice change. Atkinson is good playing... calm and dignified? The procedural side of it seems nicely quaint. Not that other British police shows go fully CSI, (what was the name of the other detective show on that night set in the 60s, it had Tim McInnery as a Northern union leader?) but being adapted from books of the time and not a recent creation makes a difference.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
If there's more Maigret I'll watch them, saw the one-off and enjoyed it a great deal, Atkinson's dignity in it is marvelous. Just easy to miss because if it's not some adaption of classic detective fiction ITV have gently caress all I'd watch.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Release the Hounds is some great stuff

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
robot wars kicked rear end this week tbh

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Speaking of playing against type, has anyone watched Rowan Atkinson as Maigret on the ITV? I've only seen the trailers but I have read some of the Maigret stories and enjoyed them. Is this TV series any good? Atkinson's just one of those guys who it's really strange to see doing drama even though he's good at it. Like Sir David Jason in A Touch of Frost.

It's a really interesting approach they've taken; everything's underplayed and dignified and subtle, even right in the middle of Murder Most Foul. The script is sparse and functional, and the depth is all done in telling little moments, like the pathologist carving a body open, warning "those of a nervous disposition to look away", and then just for a second you see the shot of Maigret's eyes going towards the body, not away from it. It's very soothing, I'll watch as much of it as they put on.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

robot wars kicked rear end this week tbh

I wanted both of the robots in the final to go through. :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They still have a Wild Card for the finale, and I feel like Apollo was by far the most impressive of all the second-place robots from the heats. But at the same time, I don't know if they would want to drag the Carbide rivalry out again after they definitively got their revenge in this ep.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Carbide has ruined it a bit for everyone else. Their robot is the best engineered thing I've seen since razer. Would love to know how much money they have in it.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Bape Culture posted:

Carbide has ruined it a bit for everyone else. Their robot is the best engineered thing I've seen since razer. Would love to know how much money they have in it.

Yeah, but I'm happy to have one season of just watching Carbine shredder their way through the contest and literally breaking things.

Also, I think this season's the first time that we've seen the arena walls get broken right? It's happened twice; definitely a sign of better engineering (and underestimation by the arena builders).

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Been watching Line of Duty and I am confused already! There wasn't a secret episode 1.5 at some point was there?!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Line of Duty is poo poo. The first series was good, but it just cannot stop itself turning into an insultingly sensationalist load of toss.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Carbide just seems so solidly built, and really reliable. I'd also love to know if they've spent significantly more than the other teams, or whether it's just superior design and build quality.

By far my favourite robot and I'd been waiting for it's return all series!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Robot wars is bad.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Robot wars is badass.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Slash posted:

Carbide just seems so solidly built, and really reliable. I'd also love to know if they've spent significantly more than the other teams, or whether it's just superior design and build quality.

It's like a murderous Roomba.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Slash posted:

The weapon randomly stopped working a few times last series but they seem to have fixed it. I'm looking forward to the final, it should be good.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Inside Number 9 on Netflix now, looking forward to seeing what the early eps are like.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Anybody else watching Bake Off: Crème de la Crème tonight? I found it great fun last year, and my wife loves my impressions of the oriental judge.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Marmaduke! posted:

Inside Number 9 on Netflix now, looking forward to seeing what the early eps are like.

Anybody know why they've added season one and three of League of Gentlemen, but not the third?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Man the last three minutes of Catastrophe were probably the scariest thing I've ever watched. So much so that I did that thing that total bell-ends do where they bold the titles of things.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Pissflaps posted:

Anybody else watching Bake Off: Crème de la Crème tonight? I found it great fun last year, and my wife loves my impressions of the oriental judge.

I loved it Flaps, especially the wanky 'celebrity' chef getting his comeuppance for trying to show off, and the catering college student nicking a bit of chocolate

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I had an argument with my wife so I did not watch it. Hopefully we'll patch things up in time for tonight's telly hour.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Pissflaps posted:

I had an argument with my wife so I did not watch it. Hopefully we'll patch things up in time for tonight's telly hour.

Was this argument about shagging a robot?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Junior G-man posted:

Yeah, but I'm happy to have one season of just watching Carbine shredder their way through the contest and literally breaking things.

Also, I think this season's the first time that we've seen the arena walls get broken right? It's happened twice; definitely a sign of better engineering (and underestimation by the arena builders).

It happened once last series too, I think it was Carbide's fault again then

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah that's the one but in my book castration is cutting off just the balls not also hacking through your penis I also really doubt he could have sorted out the wound with a soldering iron.

I worked on that series. The severed penis prosthetic was put into someone's lunchbox at lunchtime. Thoroughly enjoyed their face when they opened it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

a lovely king posted:

I worked on that series. The severed penis prosthetic was put into someone's lunchbox at lunchtime. Thoroughly enjoyed their face when they opened it.

Where is the penis now?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Pissflaps posted:

Where is the penis now?
That'd be funnier unspoilered FYI

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I got out of the dog house in time to watch Bake Off: Crème de la Crèm last night and it was well worth the wait.

I found the last series more compelling than the last normal Bake Off and this new series did not disappoint. Not mad keen on Angus Deighton but Tom Kerridge gave me the heeby jeebies anyway. Also glad they got rid of the English judge.

If you enjoy watching talented, arrogant people be crushed by the need to cook a few fancy cakes then it's well worth a watch.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Disgusting Coward posted:

Man the last three minutes of Catastrophe were probably the scariest thing I've ever watched.

Totally. Had no idea what was going to happen but knew something would do. Weird feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What is this Catastrophe programme you're taking about?

It seems to be a comedy on Amazon prime so how is the end of it one of the scariest things you've ever watched?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It also airs on Channel 4 - its a British programme first. And it can deal with dark subjects for a comedy. I don't necessarily agree with the scary comment but those last few minutes of s3 were pretty goddamn nail-biting.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Escobarbarian posted:

It also airs on Channel 4 - its a British programme first. And it can deal with dark subjects for a comedy. I don't necessarily agree with the scary comment but those last few minutes of s3 were pretty goddamn nail-biting.

Yeah the only thing i can compare it to tonally is that last scene of the Sopranos finale. Catastrophe is one of the best things on TV imo, shame it's so infrequent

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

a lovely king posted:

Is Robert Sheehan nice irl

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah the only thing i can compare it to tonally is that last scene of the Sopranos finale. Catastrophe is one of the best things on TV imo, shame it's so infrequent

Yeah, scary is not the right word but it was definitely like this.

I knew he'd get done by the police but thought it would just be pulled over, not an accident.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

The Big Taff Man posted:

Is Robert Sheehan nice irl

I got on alright with him but you can tell he's objectively a big arrogant prick .

Oh god are you Robert Sheehan

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is Robert Sheehan hung irl

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

a lovely king posted:

I got on alright with him but you can tell he's objectively a big arrogant prick .

Oh god are you Robert Sheehan

Im not but I really liked him in misfits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Big Taff Man posted:

Im not but I really liked him in misfits

Robert Sheerhan was once a guest on a chat show. He asked that the disabled toilet by closed for his own use as he's changing room didn't have a toilet. When he was told no he put the plug in his changing room sink and pissed in it.

So... yeah, he's pretty great as Nathan.