Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I'm running Lost mine of Phandelver for a few friends on wednesday night and I was wondering if anyone had an advice on how to spice it up a bit. I enjoy running premade adventures, and really like the quality that they have in 5th ed, I just don't want to screw things up for them since it's been a while since I've dmed for anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Fudge rolls in the first combat if you have to - it's really easy to die to that first ambush. Have they played d&d before? For me, it was only a longshot perception check success that caused the rogue to spot one of the goblins before walking into that trap, alone.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
New UA Article is...

*drum roll*

More spells!
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/starter-spells

Because those poor casters were really hurting for options, you know?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Fudge rolls in the first combat if you have to - it's really easy to die to that first ambush. Have they played d&d before? For me, it was only a longshot perception check success that caused the rogue to spot one of the goblins before walking into that trap, alone.

I know two of the three have, one of them is the guy who taught me when we were teenagers haha. So I'm not too worried abotu bonehead moves, but it's still good to know that they can easily die to that ambush, thanks.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Invalidating exploration as a 1st level wizard spell yeah baby.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
what the gently caress is the point of this? these are all things you can just do. especially the first use, which is "use your tracking skill to follow tracks". is this just for Fat McFailson, the laziest druid ever, or what

bonus: the bar mitzvah and marriage spell that grants buffs that last for 24 hours and incidentally gives material proof that remarriage after divorce is not blessed by the gods.

i also like the funeral ceremony that prevents the corpse from being raised as undead for exactly one day.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 3, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Roll for how often your magic hand waves you on.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Cease to Hope posted:

bonus: the bar mitzvah and marriage spell that grants buffs that last for 24 hours and incidentally gives material proof that remarriage after divorce is not blessed by the gods.

But poly marriage is completely fine. In dire straits you can marry your entire party to each other before going into the dungeon for a sweet 24 hr stackable +2 AC +2 saves - totally worth it!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
marriage giving statistical combat bonuses is the most D20 thing I've ever seen

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That marriage spell is ripped straight from a 3.x splat or pathfinder*, I forget which.

Cease to Hope posted:

what the gently caress is the point of this? these are all things you can just do. especially the first use, which is "use your tracking skill to follow tracks". is this just for Fat McFailson, the laziest druid ever, or what

Seriously this is the stupidest thing. What druid isn't already flavouring all of these activities as "my animal friends tell me..." already.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Does the marriage thing only work on alive persons, or can the necromancer's infinitely-recyclable skeleton squad be group-married before each dungeon expedition?

(I know they have to be humanoids in life, don't recall if they are still humanoids after reanimation)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
getting married to skeletons to get the Lichloved feat

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
fatass druid casting Transmute Cheeto Crumbs To Dust

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Splicer posted:

That marriage spell is ripped straight from a 3.x splat or pathfinder*, I forget which.

Pathfinder.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Mr. Tambo posted:

Does the marriage thing only work on alive persons, or can the necromancer's infinitely-recyclable skeleton squad be group-married before each dungeon expedition?

This is the true bone zone :skeltal:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
nah

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 4, 2017

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Truly, what the Wizard was missing: A cantrip doing 1d8, or 1d12 if the target is already injured, damage, on a Wisdom save.

How many different defences is that? Acid Spray hits DEX, Chill Touch, Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, and Shocking Grasp hit AC, Poison Spray hits CON, and now Toll the Dead hits WIS.

Oh and hey, Druid gets a 1d10 melee cantrip. Who needs Shilellagh?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Serperoth posted:

Oh and hey, Druid gets a 1d10 melee cantrip. Who needs Shilellagh?

You can add your wisdom mod to Shilellagh's damage, no? It should usually be doing more damage than Primal Savagery. Whether that makes it more or less stupid a spell I cannot say.

I'm currently playing a Druid and I'm not tempted to add any of those spells to my list.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Deified Data posted:

You can add your wisdom mod to Shilellagh's damage, no? It should usually be doing more damage than Primal Savagery. Whether that makes it more or less stupid a spell I cannot say.

I'm currently playing a Druid and I'm not tempted to add any of those spells to my list.

Oh yeah, you add it to damage too, good catch. Haven't played the druid in quite a while, I was misremembering.

Still, doesn't require a weapon, and it scales. So do the druid's other attacking cantrips, however

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Two of those 1st level Druid spells basically being replacements for roleplaying are depressing.

No DM has ever even asked their group if they pack up their camp, but luckily now you can use a spell slot to ensure it gets done without lifting a finger.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm so glad there's a spell to find shelter within 2-3 house blocks of me. That'd take ages without magic.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Does anyone ever use the gun rules from the book? Did you change anything? S'good?

Assault rifle fighter, flame thrower berserker, shotgun paladin, sniper rifle ranger? Silenced pistol rogue?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Cease to Hope posted:

marriage giving statistical combat bonuses is the most D20 thing I've ever seen
I came in here wondering why the title changed, but I think the stuff in the last couple pages was way more funny.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Elblanco posted:

So I'm running Lost mine of Phandelver for a few friends on wednesday night and I was wondering if anyone had an advice on how to spice it up a bit. I enjoy running premade adventures, and really like the quality that they have in 5th ed, I just don't want to screw things up for them since it's been a while since I've dmed for anyone.

If something would allow them to bypass a combat, be lenient. The fights aren't that bad but I feel like the fact that you spend the first while fighting and fighting and then you get to the town which explodes with sidequests in a hundred directions feels like a lovely MMO. Anything they can do to be creative about the gang hideout, encourage and nurture it more than you might otherwise.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

xiw posted:

Finally, a roleplaying game that can replicate the seminal experience of Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

xiw posted:

Meh, it's not that bad. You can make that a lot more interesting by deciding HOW the hand operates - maybe it points in the right direction, but doesn't take pathing into account, so you have to detour around a bunch of stuff. Maybe the shortest path goes straight through dangerous territory, if the players follow it blindly they miss out on much more convenient detours as they clambour through forests and over cliffs when there was a road nearby. Failing all that, just put a bunch of stuff between the party and the objective. They might know which way to go, but actually getting there is another issue.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kylra posted:

I came in here wondering why the title changed, but I think the stuff in the last couple pages was way more funny.

that's above your clearance

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

McKilligan posted:

Meh, it's not that bad. You can make that a lot more interesting by deciding HOW the hand operates - maybe it points in the right direction, but doesn't take pathing into account, so you have to detour around a bunch of stuff. Maybe the shortest path goes straight through dangerous territory, if the players follow it blindly they miss out on much more convenient detours as they clambour through forests and over cliffs when there was a road nearby. Failing all that, just put a bunch of stuff between the party and the objective. They might know which way to go, but actually getting there is another issue.

making spells promise to do one thing but undermining that with secret fuckery is awful. play fair: if the spell is robotically stupid about its recommendations, tell players that up front.

or just don't publish "solve being lost" in the first place, idk

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Guiding Hand needs to be between you and the landmark to work at all, if you're playing it by the rules provided. It can only ever move straight towards the destination, and it can only ever move away from you. Even a short detour (like, a few yards) means it can't behave like that.

:effort:

e: What happens if you move out of range of your own spell effect? Because the hand can't move towards you, and the range is 5'. Does taking a single step back dispel it?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 4, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
they test marriage by lining up the happy couple for a firing squad. if 10% more arrows miss than usual, truly, it was a blessed nuptial

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If an Arcana Cleric took Toll the Dead they'd have an uncommonly fierce bit of damage tied to a cantrip and get wisdom modifier at level 8. They wouldn't get to repeatedly dip into modifier or split the damage like Eldritch Blast but that's pretty sick anyway.

And the rare mechanic that rewards Cleric for often ending up deep in the initiative order.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 4, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gonna multiclass as a Cleric/Bard with Ceremony so the villagers can experience getting hitched by a fully-ordained Elvis impersonator.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ceremony having a ritual tag seems weird.

Hey if you'd like, I can officiate this thing in complete silence and utter motionlessness, but it'll take about 10 minutes longer. Still cost you the 25.

Or if you're into that thing, our intern who worships the devil can do the same thing for you once he's finished copying this poo poo down in his notebook.

edit: Oh my god 25gp worth of powdered silver

You're gonna get argyria. You're going to be the "something blue" of the old wedding rhyme

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Is there a rule for copying spells between spellbooks/ritual books? I was trying to find one for shenanigans reasons, but the the only thing in the book is the idea that you can find an abstract "spell" as treasure and pay to actually learn it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Caphi posted:

Is there a rule for copying spells between spellbooks/ritual books? I was trying to find one for shenanigans reasons, but the the only thing in the book is the idea that you can find an abstract "spell" as treasure and pay to actually learn it.

Book of Ancient Secrets and Ritual Caster feat both describe the same process for copying a spell as a ritual only. Wizard can copy any spell that they'd have slots for, so if it's a ritual, they'd just also know the ritual form upon learning the spell.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, another UA thing: I'm the wizard spell that's strictly better than dissonant whispers.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Caphi posted:

According to the SRD:

quote:

Copying a Spell into the Book.
When you find a wizard spell of 1st level or higher, you can add it to your spellbook if it is of a spell level you can prepare and if you can spare the time to decipher and copy it. Copying that spell into your spellbook involves reproducing the basic form of the spell, then deciphering the unique system of notation used by the wizard who wrote it. You must practice the spell until you understand the sounds or gestures required, then transcribe it into your spellbook using your own notation.
For each level of the spell, the process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp. The cost represents material components you expend as you experiment with the spell to master it, as well as the fine inks you need to record it. Once you have spent this time and money, you can prepare the spell just like your other spells.

Replacing the Book.
You can copy a spell from your own spellbook into another book - for example, if you want to make a backup copy of your spellbook. This is just like copying a new spell into your spellbook, but faster and easier, since you understand your own notation and already know how to cast the spell. You need spend only 1 hour and 10 gp for each level of the copied spell.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Caphi posted:

PHB pg 114 describes finding spells in the form of scrolls and books and copying them into your own spellbook. Unless for some reason your table is distinguishing between "book found in the crypt" and "Ted, the other party wizard's book," I'm not sure why it'd work differently.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

bewilderment posted:

According to the SRD:

I feel like the rule I wanted was buried under the "replacing your own book" heading.

Well, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Thanks to Guiding Hand, Lost Mine of Phandelver simply becomes "you guide a cart to Phandelin. The end."