Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Taro wanted big boobs and another guy wanted big rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

verbal enema posted:

And thus, the Commander was born.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

verbal enema posted:

the true origin of multiple playthroughs

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ixjuvin posted:

the true origin of multiple playthroughs

But 9S has neither tits nor rear end.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

SHISHKABOB posted:

But 9S has neither tits nor rear end.

His special ability is to penetrate into the various robots you come across.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think the story was Yoko was going to do big tits by default and one of the guys said he wanted small tits and another said they like huge asses and humble Yoko obliged and that's how 2B came to be

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nazzadan posted:

Huh, I thought there was a throwaway line from an interview somewhere that Taro came in halfway through 2B's character design and demanded that they make the most physically perfect rear end ever seen in a videogame.

I swear this isn't headcanon, I read that somewhere and I can't remember where.

Taro did say that.

But what has become very apparent from Yoko Taro is that he plays to his audience and says what people might expect, rather than what might be true. Considering the dude says he's cripplingly shy to the point where he prefers to say covered in public via Emil, puppet or otherwise, he probably just sees himself as playing a character rather than just being himself.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
There's a point in there. If you've seen the GDC presentation with him unmasked he comes off as much more lowkey about things when he's not on camera.

The existence of that video is a double edged sword though because I love hearing Taro's genuine thoughts but darn someone just had to take that thing on video when he specifically asked not to

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Yeah, when Taro says 'I told the designers they had to give the main character the most perfect rear end or they were all fired', it's probably a joke.

When Kojima does it, however, it becomes one of the key design principles for Metal Gear Solid.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yeah, when Taro says 'I told the designers they had to give the main character the most perfect rear end or they were all fired', it's probably a joke.

When Kojima does it, however, it becomes one of the key design principles for Metal Gear Solid.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Once again superior Japanese aesthetic philosophy realizes that you will spend 90% of any given game looking at a character's rear rather than their front. If only the filthy gaijin would realize this. *angrily bites down on a Pocky stick*

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Got a question regarding the optional boss:

So I got the Emil's Determination quest and decided to do it as 2B cause why not. Got out to Desert: Center and saved as well as made a backup save in a different slot since I wanted to make sure I didn't gently caress up getting ending Y. I got ending Y and saved it to both files. I then destroyed Emil on my main file, but the trophy didn't pop. I saved anyway on my main file, but loaded up the backup file and tried again as 9S on route C, still no trophy. Are the ending and the trophy mutually exclusive or is this just a dumb bug (on PS4 if that matters)? Should I bother trying again as A2? If I need to resort to buying the trophy from the secret shop, Naughty Children is Trophy 45 for 100k, yeah? I want to unlock Transcendent Being/Ending E last but the trophy shop descriptions are hidden so I want to make sure I'd be buying the right one.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
If it took me about 24 hours to beat A & B, how long do you think C might take, roughly? I'm pretty slow at video games and I'm sipping this one like a fine wine but i'm curious how much farther I have to go really.

Also, at the end of B there was a weird sparkly girl figure near the jet as 9S was racing to the planet's surface and then TWO of those girls appeared at the end of the game. I have no idea who they were or why they were there. Looked like young girls in red dresses. It left me confused (as usual)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You'll find out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

he1ixx posted:

If it took me about 24 hours to beat A & B, how long do you think C might take, roughly? I'm pretty slow at video games and I'm sipping this one like a fine wine but i'm curious how much farther I have to go really.

Also, at the end of B there was a weird sparkly girl figure near the jet as 9S was racing to the planet's surface and then TWO of those girls appeared at the end of the game. I have no idea who they were or why they were there. Looked like young girls in red dresses. It left me confused (as usual)

It looks like I moved at the same pace as you and it took me 7 hours for the third playthrough.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
After getting the Platinum I decided to get the last ending again and allow the game to erase my files. The whole credits thing is great and by far my favorite part of the game. Might be my favorite part of any game. Even the questions you have to answer before they delete the files are great. Then the surprisingly genuine-sounding 'Thank you for playing'.

I have some problems with the game. Padded content, few environments, characters who are nowhere near as good as the original's, choppy framerate, some really annoying bosses. But that ending makes me forgive all that. When's Nier 3? (Please don't make another Drakengard)

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Next game is obviously Nier 0.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Re: my previous post I am dumb and was doing the wrong fight but I had already completed the fight that gives the trophy and didn't get it the first time around. Fortunately you can actually do that one again and the trophy triggered this time. :downs: Maybe you need to fight Emil truck with partner 2B? the first time I did it was with 9S solo.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yoko Taro should straight up direct a Parasite Eve reboot.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yoko Taro should get to do whatever he wants at this point as long as it isn't a remake of a game he already made. Follow your own strange star to the end Yoko :unsmigghh:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yoko Taro should get to do whatever he wants at this point as long as it isn't a remake of a game he already made. Follow your own strange star to the end Yoko :unsmigghh:

The end will be liver failure

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The end will be liver failure

A man that skinny probably isn't a heavy drinker

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

A man that skinny probably isn't a heavy drinker

Japanese Businessman who actually got told by his doctor to drink less because he's a Japanese business man

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yoko Taro should get to do whatever he wants at this point as long as it isn't a remake of a game he already made.
I think one of his interviews has him saying the line "if i basically make the same game twice i consider that a form of personal failure". So he's probably going to make whatever he feels strongly interested in regardless of whatever brand/franchise label is going to end up on the box. And this game gives me hope that he's not too full of himself to not let other extremely talented (Platinum) developers/designers give input and lets them do their best in the parts of the game he doesn't have very specific ideas about.

Who knows how much that's just his public persona, even if it feels disarmingly authentic.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I just beat the hardest boss in the game.

gently caress everything else.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RanKizama posted:

I am also very proud of this achievement.

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017

RanKizama posted:

That drat thing took forever to catch

And I've still got, like, three other fish to catch.

Two of them in the Flooded City, one in the Forest.

RNG is hell, you guys.

(also, hi)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I can't help but feel the entire fishing minigame is a joke at the expense of that one guy who complained about the fishing in the first game and ragequit because of it.

The little reminders to check your map for directions were probably also included with him in mind.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I only wish the fishing had the dramatic flair like in Yakuza 0

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Sandman posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I'd love a prequel that covers the backstory in Grimoire Nier - starts off as a gung-ho CoD game, ends with death, horror and enough dead children to carpet all of Tokyo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I can't help this feeling that I have that fishing minigames are included in so many Japanese games as part of some kind of PR campaign to keep the horrendous overfishing perpetrated by the Japanese fishing industry normalized. Like its purpose is to associate fishing with a wholesome ubiquitous hobby.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I'd love a prequel that covers the backstory in Grimoire Nier - starts off as a gung-ho CoD game, ends with death, horror and enough dead children to carpet all of Tokyo.

I had expected Automata to be a prequel at first, but Nier's backstory doesn't really *need* much fleshing out, and if they did go back and do a game there it potentially ruins the tragic beauty of the Nier games that currently exist.

Taro has sort of created his own universe and it's great to see him finally be able to make games there that aren't...bad. If he keeps making games for Square, I'd love it if he stuck with Platinum as he does so.
Curious, does anyone else think that they used the Metal Gear Rising:Revengeance engine to run this game? The menus and HUD displays are so similar, I bet you dollars to donuts that they used that same groundwork, or possibly whatever they'd been building in anticipation of Revengeance 2.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I can't help this feeling that I have that fishing minigames are included in so many Japanese games as part of some kind of PR campaign to keep the horrendous overfishing perpetrated by the Japanese fishing industry normalized. Like its purpose is to associate fishing with a wholesome ubiquitous hobby.

That's dark dude.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snak posted:

I can't believe this is the most insane theory posted in a Yoko Taro thread

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Is there a trick to getting Pod B or is it complete luck? I've seen videos of people fishing all over the area its found in but I also remember people saying it was a specific place so I have no clue.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Moatman posted:

Is there a trick to getting Pod B or is it complete luck? I've seen videos of people fishing all over the area its found in but I also remember people saying it was a specific place so I have no clue.
Try the corner by the missile. That's where I got it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Vanrushal posted:

Got a question regarding the optional boss:

So I got the Emil's Determination quest and decided to do it as 2B cause why not. Got out to Desert: Center and saved as well as made a backup save in a different slot since I wanted to make sure I didn't gently caress up getting ending Y. I got ending Y and saved it to both files. I then destroyed Emil on my main file, but the trophy didn't pop. I saved anyway on my main file, but loaded up the backup file and tried again as 9S on route C, still no trophy. Are the ending and the trophy mutually exclusive or is this just a dumb bug (on PS4 if that matters)? Should I bother trying again as A2? If I need to resort to buying the trophy from the secret shop, Naughty Children is Trophy 45 for 100k, yeah? I want to unlock Transcendent Being/Ending E last but the trophy shop descriptions are hidden so I want to make sure I'd be buying the right one.

Just so you know Naughty Children is for beating him in car form. You should already have it. I think 45 is for seeing all the endings. There's no achievement for doing the second fight at all (outside getting ending Y).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Sandman posted:

Maybe we'll finally get the story of the Red Eyes told proper.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
I just now realised that Emil's shop music is a remix of his theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So I mentioned it in the LP thread, but self destruct. I realize it comes up exactly twice across the entire game with the black box destructions but what I didn't realize is that there's actually bindings for it. There's the "Enable it" thing in the prologue, but when it comes up in C I didn't realize there was actually A Binding for it, and since the game just initiated the cutscene regardless I assumed that it was a plot-based self destruct.

Imagine my surprise when I click the sticks and accidentally initiate it. Imagine my further surprise when I find out it literally blows your pants off for both 2B and 9S :psyduck: