Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah my bet is that group is tight but they're way outnumbered, at least one of them will be picked off probably before the other original tribe turns on itself, and that person targeted will probably be Sandra if possible.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm taking a lazy Sunday and rewatching early Australia episodes to try and get a handle on Varner, and oh my goodness. He was a cutie back in the day :3:

This aired when I was 14, and I don't think I've seen it since. Who knew Elisabeth Filarski would become so much?

I don't think I've watched it since it aired either, it'd be a good refresher. It was my first season and hooked me immediately. Elisabeth made for a good TV beard for 15 year old me while I secretly pined for Nick.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Nick is great! I just feel so bad for Debb. She was from my neck of the woods, and Outback was a big enough deal that it ruined her complicated northern new england life.

Guys, Berlin, NH has a population of, like, 2,000.

edit: okay, 10,000. Didn't see that coming. Northern Hew Hampshire is no-mans-land. Dixville Notch has 12 people and casts the ceremonial first votes at midnight.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 3, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I haven't actually watched Australia but I might consider it just to see how Varner was all those years ago. He's aged very well at least.

I think my first season was... All-Stars, but I didn't actually actively start watching til Gabon. Took a break between Caramoan and Worlds Apart.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Sure. I stopped watching when I went away to college because no tv, but picked it back up with the controversy around the Cook Islands tribe arrangement.

"Wait, this is still on the air?!"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just want to see all the Varner from Australia without all the other crap that is Survivor: Australian Outback

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

I just want to see all the Varner from Australia without all the other crap that is Survivor: Australian Outback

Australian Outback is a really great season!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

I'm taking a lazy Sunday and rewatching early Australia episodes to try and get a handle on Varner, and oh my goodness. He was a cutie back in the day :3:

This aired when I was 14, and I don't think I've seen it since. Who knew Elisabeth Filarski would become so much?

To be honest, I still think he's a cutie now. I hope I age as well as Varner does.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

You also get Skupin falling into the fire though. Which at the time was probably pretty tragic, but now that we know he's an rear end in a top hat, it's kind of funny. It's like he reverse deserved it for his sins in the future.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fiji is still the only season I haven't seen, but I know everything about it

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

blue squares posted:

Fiji is still the only season I haven't seen, but I know everything about it

That's a shame.

If only you could un-know anything about it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
challenge: rank the seasons not by quality, but by how ~essential~ they are to the arc of the series. so, like, you might like Guatemala, for example, but nobody can argue in good faith that it's top ten by that criteria.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Spatula City posted:

challenge: rank the seasons not by quality, but by how ~essential~ they are to the arc of the series. so, like, you might like Guatemala, for example, but nobody can argue in good faith that it's top ten by that criteria.

Oh god here we go again

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Spatula City posted:

God, a numerical ranking of 34 seasons seems like after about the first 5 or 6 it's minor differences all the way down. If you narrow it down to Top 5 Essential Seasons, I think it'd be:

1. Borneo (The template to base the rest of them off of)
2. Pearl Islands (It works as a bridge between Old Survivor and New Survivor)
3. Cook Islands (The jumping off point for New Survivor)
4. All-Stars / Heroes vs. Villians (Tie, for opposite reasons - they show the low and high bars for returnee seasons)
5. Millenials vs. Gen X (Recency effect probably comes into play here a bit, but this was evidence of how to cast and execute a quality season, even this late in the game.)

It's Top 6, sue me. :(

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
HvV has probably done a lot in terms of changing strategic thinking. Idols are much more of a thing from that season on thanks to Russell (to the point that developers had to get more creative with hiding them). There were some very clever plays on baiting split votes, like Tyson voting himself out or Colby/Rupert dogpiling their votes to get Candice out because of the split. There's a classic example of how you can play a really risky move and have it not work out (J.T.). And it's also a good example of how important jury management is in this game. If China is an example of how you can turn things around and win because of your jury speech, HvV is an example of how you can screw up your game so badly that you have absolutely zero chance of winning. Russell's chances were nil as soon as it got down to... what, top 8 or 9, because literally anyone else would have been preferred by the jury.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I disagree with the goat. Varner and Sandra are in lock step. There's no way she giggles to him while she eats the sugar unless she knows he's solid. Sandra's no dummy. You have to be very very tight in survivor to let somebody see you stealing food and get away with it.

My take on Sandra letting Varner know about the sugar is that the tribe was probably openly clowning on the JT/Michaela thing for awhile. Like, during the tribal they all basically made it seem like the two of them had been going at it for awhile. Audrey described it a "quality of life" problem they had to deal with. So I feel like Sandra just knew that everyone would laugh it off because they were having fun at JT's expense. Which is why she so casually admitted to it after he got voted out and Michaela laughed.

And I don't think she saw it as "stealing food from the tribe" because she said JT was the only one who really used it. So she wasn't stealing food from Audrey and Varner, she was stealing food from JT to gently caress with his head. And apparently the whole tribe was cool with that.

But who knows? Its all speculation. Mostly I just don't see Varner in any way wanting to go far with Sandra. He doesn't seem like the following type or the sort that would underestimate her.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Celery Jello posted:

God, a numerical ranking of 34 seasons seems like after about the first 5 or 6 it's minor differences all the way down. If you narrow it down to Top 5 Essential Seasons, I think it'd be:

1. Borneo (The template to base the rest of them off of)
2. Pearl Islands (It works as a bridge between Old Survivor and New Survivor)
3. Cook Islands (The jumping off point for New Survivor)
4. All-Stars / Heroes vs. Villians (Tie, for opposite reasons - they show the low and high bars for returnee seasons)
5. Millenials vs. Gen X (Recency effect probably comes into play here a bit, but this was evidence of how to cast and execute a quality season, even this late in the game.)

It's Top 6, sue me. :(
I like this list but I'd adjust it a little bit. I think this is the ideal sampling of each era of Survivor, with lots of the best players and seasons included:

1. s1 Borneo - The early seasons mostly aren't as good but you need one representative of how it began and this is where I'd start. It's pretty iconic.
2. s6 Amazon - Rob C. flipping from side to side is basically the next evolution of the game, building off the Rotu 4 from Marquesas but in a more fun season.
3. s15 China - Probably the best season from the middle years along with PI, but without being weighed down by the Outcast twist. Amanda, James, and Courtney star in
4. s20 Heroes vs Villains - A great example of an All-Star season and the viewers get some Parv and Sandra fun in here. Indisputably amazing season.
5. s28 Cagayan - Introduction of the modern "3 tribes and a swap" format, a wild ride from start to finish that left Russell jealous.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I agree that Millennials vs GenX should be included in a list somewhere because they changed up the way they did casting and it worked really well for that group. I hope they do it more going forward.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Fast Luck posted:

I like this list but I'd adjust it a little bit. I think this is the ideal sampling of each era of Survivor, with lots of the best players and seasons included:

1. s1 Borneo - The early seasons mostly aren't as good but you need one representative of how it began and this is where I'd start. It's pretty iconic.
2. s6 Amazon - Rob C. flipping from side to side is basically the next evolution of the game, building off the Rotu 4 from Marquesas but in a more fun season.
3. s15 China - Probably the best season from the middle years along with PI, but without being weighed down by the Outcast twist. Amanda, James, and Courtney star in
4. s20 Heroes vs Villains - A great example of an All-Star season and the viewers get some Parv and Sandra fun in here. Indisputably amazing season.
5. s28 Cagayan - Introduction of the modern "3 tribes and a swap" format, a wild ride from start to finish that left Russell jealous.

It's funny you bring up Amazon, because I very nearly put Thailand on my list instead of Pearl Islands. I feel like Brian's sociopathic game combined with the ultimate example of "bring a goat to the end" shows the first seeds of what would eventually become modern Survivor strategy. Not to minimize Rob C's gameplay at all, but Brian's was sort of the first pass, and Rob perfected it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

see I see Thailand as still part of that slower "here's the alliances, see you at the end" early era of the game, and not the best example of it since we already got a Pagonging (and the Pagong tribe!) in the more important Borneo season. Just the concept of Clay being sort of a goat doesn't really rank for me. I could see Marquesas with people doing the unheard of and flipping on the Rotu 4 in there, or PI, but Thailand is a hard sell for me, especially since Brian only won by one vote after someone told Ted that Clay was racist

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I have a list written up somewhere.

Thailand is more great from production, less great for contestants. I can't argue that Brian wasn't a great winner, but it was no fun in watching him get there. See also: Palau.

Strategically, it's hard to do better than Cook islands, Fiji, and China. They get lost in the middle, but the teenager era of survivor was satisfying enough to hook me back in.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Not having seen Thailand since it was on TV, what made Brian so uh, "sociopathic"?

edit:

quote:

Heidik was considered for Heroes vs. Villains, but the producers were too "repulsed" by him to bring him back.

jesus christ

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 4, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
his neighbor's puppy was making too much noise, so he shot it with a bow and arrow.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvJ2oWULVuI

This is a good recap and I'm going to watch her each week now.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

My take on Sandra letting Varner know about the sugar is that the tribe was probably openly clowning on the JT/Michaela thing for awhile. Like, during the tribal they all basically made it seem like the two of them had been going at it for awhile. Audrey described it a "quality of life" problem they had to deal with. So I feel like Sandra just knew that everyone would laugh it off because they were having fun at JT's expense. Which is why she so casually admitted to it after he got voted out and Michaela laughed.

And I don't think she saw it as "stealing food from the tribe" because she said JT was the only one who really used it. So she wasn't stealing food from Audrey and Varner, she was stealing food from JT to gently caress with his head. And apparently the whole tribe was cool with that.

But who knows? Its all speculation. Mostly I just don't see Varner in any way wanting to go far with Sandra. He doesn't seem like the following type or the sort that would underestimate her.

aubry

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually wasn't sure about that while typing the post but was too lazy to look it up.

My bad.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Max posted:

Holy gently caress.

Her channel is going into the OP whenever I'm at a computer. That's amazing.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

"Debbie had a freakout... Still don't fully understand what happened there."

Same, Michaela, same.

Edit: omg her expression when she calls JT "a fellow southerner".

Also interesting that she felt pretty secure in the Sandra/Varner alliance. I hope that continues, I like the three of them working together.

This one is also amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IOaAI7lZS4

God I want her to win

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 4, 2017

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Guys, Australia is a pro rewatch. Colby dealt with his $900k mistake with extraordinary grace and I kind of have a crush on him now.

But.

The reunion!

Bryant Gumbel: Kel, you said you'd never forgive Jerri for the beef jerky incident. Doesn't that seem like too much weight to carry from the situation?

Kel: oh, I forgive her. I don't like her, but I forgive her.

Jerri: :haw:

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 4, 2017

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Max posted:

Proclick right here.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm not surprised Sandra wants to work with Michaela, given her history with Courtney.

Gluten Freeman posted:

This one is also amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IOaAI7lZS4

God I want her to win

"I'm a trigger for JT . . . you're gonna have to ask JT what that trigger is" is the spice I've been looking for today, drat.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I can't watch postgame stuff like that until I know the ending

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rob did a random podcast with Reynold for some reason, the guy who's really good at throwing rings and stuff

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

blue squares posted:

I can't watch postgame stuff like that until I know the ending

You can watch this one! It's post Millennials v Gen X. She talks about the whole thing where the first 8? I think? people voted out were women of colour. Very interesting, because I'd been wondering if the contestants themselves had noticed, and she talks pretty candidly about it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7W196zTOUI

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Max posted:

I'm not surprised Sandra wants to work with Michaela, given her history with Courtney.

"I'm a trigger for JT . . . you're gonna have to ask JT what that trigger is" is the spice I've been looking for today, drat.

It's beautiful. :allears:

and if we can recall, JT's big move in HvV was going after Cirie for no adequate reason. I don't think he's super-racist, but the island brings out biases that might otherwise lie dormant given enough food and sleep. and maybe it's the intersection of black, female, and super-confident that wigs JT out. and maybe strong women wig him out in general. remember how he assumed that Russell was in danger from a nefarious women's alliance. there's an odd pattern.

JT deserved to have his legacy ruined, I think.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I really don't see enough evidence to call JT racist or anything but there's probably a little bit of evidence to back up the idea that he gets scared by strong/opinionated women and defaults to "bros." His motivations to target players like Cirie, Michaela, and Sandra aren't really wrong. Those are all dangerous players and its not like he was ever speaking alone about his concerns/problems with them. And thinking women like Parv were running things isn't unreasonable at all. But he does seem to make no real effort to work with them and just goes straight to the guys.

Although, I'll admit he dropped some word the last episode to describe Michaela like "ignorant" or something that made me literally cringe.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 4, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Continuing my rewatch with Survivor Africa... finally, they've found their style for musical accompaniment. The music in the first two seasons was off-putting after becoming used to modern Survivor. Jeff still isn't calling the competitions the way he does in modern Survivor yet, though... I'll be curious to see when that starts.

I wonder if they'll ever go back to an African setting now that they're shooting seasons two at a time. I love the settings for Africa and Gabon. (Though I can see why it's not one they go back to a whole lot, seems like tough shooting/living conditions.)

Also, it was funny seeing one of the older guys going on about Generation X in the exact way that Gen X tribe did about Millennials.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, J.T. did work with Taj in his first season, for what that's worth.

So are the three tribes getting dissolved into two or staying as three? First thought was three even tribes of five, but then someone's going to Exile, so maybe two tribes of seven and then the losing tribe gets whoever got sent to Exile, like in Gabon and MvG.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ApplesandOranges posted:

HvV has probably done a lot in terms of changing strategic thinking. Idols are much more of a thing from that season on thanks to Russell (to the point that developers had to get more creative with hiding them).

are you kidding me they were way more difficult to find well before that season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Tai is the new Russell when it comes to idol finding.

• Locked thread