Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Lead out in cuffs posted:

ASFB is also distinguishing based on delivery method -- he's referring to speed as the snorted powder, as opposed to meth for crystal meth which is smoked (really vapourised) in a meth pipe. So even if the thing being snorted is methamphetamine, it may still be referred to as "speed" rather than "meth".

It's like the difference between cocaine and crack.

.... You can snort crystal meth, you can also shoot it and smoke it, just like you can shoot, snort and smoke cocaine. Crack just means someone took some baking soda, water and cocaine and put it in a microwave to heat it up then swirled it around to combine it (yes, there are other methods and cutting agents, this is just what I've seen done on multiple occasions).

Source: I have either partaken or been witness to all of these things happening.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
....yeah let's cut down on drug talk because it's getting super lame, we've got TCC for that.

A big update: Waldo is moving out!

He didn't get two paychecks in a row and he decided to put an end to the bullshit and return to his parents home. I'll include here a text message which he sent me yesterday:

Waldo the unfortunate posted:

my friend, we're repainting the apartment on Wednesday, I'll unfortunately have to move out... utter chaos... my uncle texted me that he won't be able to borrow me any money after all and there's still no news of my back salaries... I decided to put an end to this agony and move out, and when I get my poo poo sorted out I'll be sure to contact you as a friend, to find some way of repaying you for all the times you've gone out of your way and helped me... I'll go back home to my village. I plan to have all of my stuff trucked out on Friday. This is final and I'm incredibly sorry that I have to return home, I completely lost it already and I can't stand to be here anymore. My paperwork is going to be ready on Wednesday and all those bosses and accountants can go gently caress themselves."

So basically, the fundamentally broken Croatian economy claims another victim. And let's not forget that Waldo is like 40 years old, which makes the whole thing particularly cringy. :ughh:

By some miracle, I have some money kicking around right now, I'm spending them on vodka and baloney sandwiches. Some schmuck seriously gave me forty bucks for a Socket 7 system from 1996 which I've been running in the ads. See, when I was moving to this apartment, I didn't carry any furniture with myself, only two smallish suitcases of clothes.... and boxes upon boxes of old electronics. Couple of weeks ago I sold a hair dryer for $10.... it was fully functional and in a surprisingly good shape, I haven't told the guy that the appliance was from 1976. :haw:

I'm running at least a hundred ads at any given moment - and as the old saying goes, every piece of merchandise has a buyer, you've just gotta be persistent enough. One of my shrinks gave me a hard time for dumpster diving because she thought I was hoarding poo poo, CWC-style. I have since changed my therapists a couple of times, maybe I should go back to her just to tell her that I successfully monetized a lot of poo poo that was quite literally pulled from the tip 15+ years ago.

Funny thing, I hired some guys from an ex-junkie commune to help me move my stuff from the CrackDen to the Roach Tower, but I was so loving high at that time that the first thing I remember was unpacking my poo poo at the new place - I have no idea how I got there and that I was literally homeless for a full day. The most amazing thing of all is that I raised no suspicion - not even the hardened junkies suspected that I was hopped up on subs to the point of utter oblivion. Well, maybe they did but I certainly don't remember anything. :ughh:

I bought all the supplies for a painting job and my friend Igor is going to borrow me some money to catch the loose ends and the back utilities. I'm gonna have the Property C apartment fumigated because Waldo raised a whole army of cockroaches by leaving food scraps everywhere, and you can't really rent out a place in which you have roaches scurrying across the kitchen counters in broad daylight y'know. :ughh:

fake edit: one of these days I'm gonna go out on my bike and take pictures of seriously ugly commie architecture. I've been flipping the gently caress out on my bike, pedaled for full 72 kilometers on Thursday and then for 56 kilometers the following day. I'm gonna be the Croatian Lance Armstrong, dope and all. :riker:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Poor Waldo :( I hope the fumigation goes well, good luck Fatbeard.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Well you're a Survivor (tm) (r) already so nothing stopping you from outpedaling a bunch of guys in spandex, all hopped up on whatever dope you find, right? Definitely post more commie architecture, that's always cool

false flag post-op
May 13, 2009

Enjoy Every Sandvich
I'm glad you have a friend named Igor.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
That's a much more depressing use of the phrase "Where's Waldo?" than I'm used to.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Looks like I got bloody TETANUS from the cat scratch. Yesterday I went to my GP since the wound on my index finger wasn't healing and then got an emergency tetanus shot and some heavy-duty antibiotics, let's just hope that the disease won't grab me by the balls - but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the disease develops fully... and if it does, I'm in for a helluva ride.

I just don't know how do I do it anymore. Everything that could possibly go wrong, in the end, really does end up going wrong. One goon correctly pointed out that I'm the luckiest, and at the same time, the most unlucky guy in Croatia. Well I could certainly live without all those sources of... excitement but I'm not really in a position to choose. :(

I just don't know how the hell do I do it, time and time again. :ughh:

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 5, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Looks like I got bloody TETANUS from the cat scratch. Yesterday I went to my GP since the wound on my index finger wasn't healing and then got an emergency tetanus shot and some heavy-duty antibiotics, let's just hope that the disease won't grab me by the balls - but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the disease develops fully... and if it does, I'm in for a helluva ride.

I just don't know how do I do it anymore. Everything that could possibly go wrong, in the end, really does end up going wrong. One goon correctly pointed out that I'm the luckiest, and at the same time, the most unlucky guy in Croatia. Well I could certainly live without all those sources of... excitement but I'm not really in a position to choose. :(

Not suggesting for you, just observing: when people stop doing drugs for ~12 months their lives are less chaotic like magic.

Also, sorry to hear about your tetanus.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

When you recover from your latest brush with death please go out and take pictures of commie architecture. I enjoyed the photos you've posted in the past. All that was missing was Gordon Freeman in the background.

EDIT: I'd be surprised if you got tetanus from a cat scratch. I think it needs to be embedded deeply to get away from oxygen in order to thrive. There are probably many other bugs that would enjoy living in that scratch.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 5, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can get toxoplasmosis though! :sun:

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

spankmeister posted:

You can get toxoplasmosis though! :sun:

don't some cats carry feline hiv? I don't imagine the odds are very high you caught anything from a small scratch, but you would truly be the unluckiest bastard in croatia if you did.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Old Binsby posted:

don't some cats carry feline hiv? I don't imagine the odds are very high you caught anything from a small scratch, but you would truly be the unluckiest bastard in croatia if you did.

FIV only affects cats, friend.

ASFB, please keep your tetanus shots updated if you're going to go dumpster diving. You need a booster every ten years.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:siren:Waldo moved out, it's an end of an era.:siren:

He did a pretty good painting job, too, but I'll have to fix a few small mistakes here and there and paint the lobby because the guy ran out of paint (and I "only" got him a 50lb bucket of non-diluted paint, where did it all go?) :ughh:

Calling the roach crew in the morning because "extreme infestation" doesn't even begin to describe the problem. I went in there an hour ago in order to toss some poo poo out from the fridge, which was gross, and realized that I literally have no business being in the apartment at all, since I could spend the time swatting the countless roaches until I get tired or something, and a couple of roaches could hitch a ride on me back to Property B which is thankfully roach-free. I wouldn't be doing myself a favor with this obviously, so the fumigation will be done BEFORE the cleanup - and the guys told me that the apartment has to be decontaminated anyway, after being sealed tight for at least two weeks. They're using serious poisons here, not your run of the mill raid poo poo.

Also, I have good news and some bad news. The good news is that I didn't get tetanus after all, but I have to keep taking my antibiotics just the same - and the vaccination wrecked my poo poo, but it had to be done I guess. The bad news is that I got hit by a car again the other day - I got high and decided to go out biking. I have a very hazy idea of what exactly happened, I think I ran a red light and the next thing I know, I'm knocked over and trying to pull the bike from underneath the car while cursing loudly. The moral of the story: Sonic the dopehog CAN NOT outrun a Toyota on a red light. :ughh:
As if that wasn't enough, some ten minutes later I fell off the bike for literally no reason and planted my face into the pavement. I now have a scab on the ridge of my nose (and mr. Weed, upon seeing me, thought I was in a fist fight but got pwned.)

Yeah I got seriously pwned TWICE in less than an hour. Miraculously, the bike seems to be just fine (but I'm not.) :ughh:

As for the commie architecture, I have taken quite a few pictures of an aluminum ghetto the other day and will be posting them in the morning. I'm currently in the "please let me die already" mode. :ughh:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Fatbeard. Why. Just, why.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think you're ready for your next career: Life Coach.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Love you Fatbeard

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Love you Fatbeard

Same. Fatbeard, you're the best forums poster.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why did the cat scratch you?

Don't answer if it's something disgusting

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

FIV only affects cats, friend.

ASFB, please keep your tetanus shots updated if you're going to go dumpster diving. You need a booster every ten years.

the more you know! was not aware of this

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Love you Fatbeard

same, you post good

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Tortuga posted:

Why did the cat scratch you?

I petted him on the chin and he didn't like that. The scratch was a simple 'yeah don't do that' gesture, the cat didn't trust me. On the other hand, Bobbie totally loves me and whenever I go over at mr. Weed's for coffee or something, she's all over me. :)

Yeah this was probably a good thing, haven't gotten any serious vaccine since 2002 when our platoon got a crazy catchall vaccine against EVERYTHING. Funny thing, all of us had diarrhea for the first few days after conscription (due to unsanitary food) and after we got our shots, we could dine on cow dung and it wouldn't phase us at all. And the Croatian army food is really gross - sometimes you couldn't even tell what you're eating, and sometimes you'd find bugs/mud/mold in your grub as well. Terrible.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
What was the consistency of the catchall shot? When I joined the Navy they gave us a penicillin shot that they nicknamed the "peanut butter" shot because that was the consistency/texture of the fluid. It really hurt, and we could feel it for days afterward.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dick Bastardly posted:

What was the consistency of the catchall shot? When I joined the Navy they gave us a penicillin shot that they nicknamed the "peanut butter" shot because that was the consistency/texture of the fluid. It really hurt, and we could feel it for days afterward.

I was reading about this and found the following on Wikipedia:

quote:

The wholesale cost in the developing world is about 0.27 to 1.71 USD for a course of treatment.[7] In the United States the medication costs 50 to 100 USD for a dose as of 2015.[2] In the United Kingdom it costs the NHS about 0.95 to 1.89 pounds a dose as of 2015.[8]

America is so hosed

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

are you still gonna become a christian asf

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Dick Bastardly posted:

I can't remember what was the army shot alike, but this shot I got a week ago was translucent and runny like alcohol. My shoulder did hurt like a motherfucker for a few days afterwards though, so there's that.

I'm not in the greatest of moods today, feeling a bit under the weather and the roach crew ain't showing up till Wednesday. In the meantime, have a few pictures I took in the Remetinečki gaj aluminum-plywood-asbestos ghetto, which was haphazardly dashed off in 1957 as a new settlement for the working poor, and which has been left rotting ever since. These buildings have been nicknamed limenka which translates to "sardine can", for obvious reasons.

Here's some real-deal Soviet squalor. Hard to believe that these pictures are coming from within the EU innit :haw:

And here's an abandoned grocery store, goes well with the squalor of the estate.

But the bunkers are always present:

In early 60s, the limenka gave way to a hruščovka which was supposed to be a step-up from the older, nasty-rear end aluminum design, but in reality it just wasn't.

"goddammit if I don't sell this AC unit then Mittens is what we're having for lunch tomorrow"

...aaaaaand here's a beautiful example of ghetto engineering. See, this tower block was put up in 1966 when the architects still held onto a deeply flawed notion that "concrete is forever" and that cantilevered balconies out of admittedly thin slabs of concrete will stand the test of time. Well, it turned out that they were wrong, and this fucker broke off and came dangerously loose some time in the 90s, held in place only by rusting rebar. The tower block council obviously couldn't pay cash to have it repaired for real - which is a mega-expensive repair - so they chose to do the next best thing, which is "propping the fucker up with some hollow metal tubing and hoping for the best." :haw:

Efexeye posted:

are you still gonna become a christian asf

Not sure, I think I got carried away for a moment. This post made me take a few pictures of completely lame new churches built in Zagreb after the fall of Communism:

This fucker looks like a gas tank at a LNG terminal. (Sopot)

Third world air terminal. (Dugave)

Picture not by me (no comment necessary, Peščenica)

...and here's how the COMMUNIST CHURCH COMPLETED IN 1981 LOOKS LIKE.

I think I won't be reaching at all when I say that "evil, church-repressing commies" built nicer churches than God-fearing capitalists ever did. :ughh:

Bonus: Hire a catholic healer and devil exorcist for only 150 Croatian Kunas! (That's $21 :haw: )

So yeah I totally want to fork over a twenty for the privilege of getting felt up by an insane creep who will scream at me at the same time (probably to drive the Satan out - but I'd punch him in the dick before that would happen.) :ughh:

...of particular note is that hiring this guy will cost you more than hiring the fumigation crew :haw:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i'm an eggcorcist ama

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think I've said it before but I have to laugh at how much your photos look like Winnipeg. Those white globe lamps from the 1970s are probably still all over the place.

If I eat at the sandwich bar will I die? :ohdear:

P.S. I don't have your mutant immune system

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Canada is 50 years in the past in a lot of ways so it czechs out

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I think I've said it before but I have to laugh at how much your photos look like Winnipeg. Those white globe lamps from the 1970s are probably still all over the place.

If I eat at the sandwich bar will I die? :ohdear:

P.S. I don't have your mutant immune system

Those globe lamps are being gradually tossed out because they contribute a lot to the light pollution. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those tree-hugging types who goes up in arms every time ecology is brought up, light pollution in cities has a very practical, negative side effect: idiot birds think it's daytime 24/7 so they keep chirping round the clock, NEVER EVER shutting up.

You won't die from the pastry bought at the kiosk, and you won't get sick in any way. The pastries themselves run the gamut from pleasantly fresh and crunchy, all the way to stale, chewy and downright rubbery. You won't get diarrhea, but I can't vouch for your fillings.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

spankmeister posted:

That sandwich shop in the picture is cash or card only. They don't accept czechs. :)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

spankmeister posted:

What the hell man

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

What the hell man

i wouldnt say fifty but crossing the border from michigan into sarnia or windsor is essentially like going back in time 10-20 years

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

Efexeye posted:

i wouldnt say fifty but crossing the border from michigan into sarnia or windsor is essentially like going back in time 10-20 years

Except for all those parts of Michigan that look like Aleppo

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Millow posted:

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Millow posted:

:vince:

Meanwhile in Michigan:

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 12, 2017

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:siren: Apartment is rented out to a kid named "yet another Mario!" :siren:

And when I say 'kid' I really mean it - he was born in 1997, the year which saw me beginning to chain-smoke. :haw: Here's to hoping that this 'apartment C' side of a saga will have a boring end.

On the other end, I must tell you that there's a huge bag of money with my name on it. 30,000€ to be more specific. Aunt's son intends to buy out my share of the uncle Bruno house and land - I know I'm not getting much of a value out of this but something's gotta give way - and stubbornness and stupidity is what lead to the house's decay in the first place, and I'm smart enough to put an end to it, I know when too much really is too much.

I could only sell my share of the house to this guy, since the aunts coyly let me know that they'd veto any of my attempts to sell the house out to someone else - noone has the upper hand in the house and I'm just happy to get rid of it. All my friends were like "take the money and run!" and I think they are correct. This saga has been dragging on since 1976!

Mario the kid also told me that his company is hiring night watchmen and security guards. I was really enthusiastic about this for a short while before realizing that these guys would require me to do drug tests, despite the fact that employee drug tests are extremely uncommon in Croatia - but working in security is one of those jobs where you really must pee in a cup. And that's a no-no for me, for obvious reasons. :ughh:

Sorry if this post reads somewhat disjointed, I gobbled up a full gram of T a few hours ago and I'm ready to hit the sack. :)

(will probably edit the post in the morning for crimes against grammar. maybe not.)

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Your doctor/therapist prescribed you some fairly heavy duty pain meds as well as anxiolytics, right? Being exempt from failing a drug test on these two classes should get you a lot of leeway for personal (ab)use unless there's specific rules for security jobs that prevent anyone working while on certain meds. Besides, if you think you'd enjoy this type of work there are probably a lot of similar things you could do because 'boring' /nighttime aren't exactly popular descriotions. You wouldn't have to worry about drug tests either. I enjoyed the monotony of working​ a few night shifts as a hotel receptionist but wouldn't want to do it permanently, it kind of hosed up my sleep too much. If you could survive giving a friendly welcome for a few guests a night you might find a few smmaller hotels with a wanted ad out front. Unless you look like a super goon/stoner, in which case hostels would suit you (or cutting your hair for the interview :v:)

Scratching my head about all the marios. Is that name traditional in croatia as well or do you get loads of italian renters??

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Old Binsby posted:

Scratching my head about all the marios. Is that name traditional in croatia as well or do you get loads of italian renters??

I'm guessing he's translating Marjan into English.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Old Binsby posted:

Your doctor/therapist prescribed you some fairly heavy duty pain meds as well as anxiolytics, right? Being exempt from failing a drug test on these two classes should get you a lot of leeway for personal (ab)use unless there's specific rules for security jobs that prevent anyone working while on certain meds.

Well yeah, apart from benzos and tramadol, the drug test would have turned up amphetamines and weed too. The HR in the company is staffed by ex-police officers (or so I have been told), so the situation could rapidly spiral out of control. Then again, maybe I should just drop the speed and weed altogether. Mmmyeah.

Old Binsby posted:

Besides, if you think you'd enjoy this type of work there are probably a lot of similar things you could do because 'boring' /nighttime aren't exactly popular descriotions.

I actually worked such a job already. Kept an eye on the garbage compactors in the warehouse at night because every now and then some idiot would have flicked a lit ciggy butt into the dumpster, starting a fragrant, indoors garbage fire that someone had to put out before it spread everywhere. Burning paper and cardboard is nasty as hell because you have to deal with flying rags of smoldering paper - heavens forbid that such a piece of paper lands on, say, a pallet of sugar!

Old Binsby posted:

Unless you look like a super goon/stoner, in which case hostels would suit you (or cutting your hair for the interview :v:)

I actually look like a goony Homeless Santa, neckbeard and all. But I suppose I can shave that dog fur off. :negative:

Old Binsby posted:

Well we Croats are wogs, and Mario is a completely generic, "couldn't think of anything better" kind of name. The first tenant in Property A, who lived there for a couple months in 2009 and ended up leaving me the bicycle, is also called Mario! :)

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 6, 2017

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

The_Franz posted:

I'm guessing he's translating Marjan into English.

Nope, my apartments have seriously seen three Marios since 2009. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Can you actually do those kinds of boring jobs or are you gonna get hosed up on benzos and black out?