Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

New Concept Hole posted:

The long combos that enemies can throw out means that the heavy shields and their high stability are pretty much the only way to block some enemies.
Also some of those combos get interrupted by deflection which constructively saves you even more stamina because the rear end in a top hat stops hitting your shield and can be hit for counter damage. If blocking's what you want to do sack up and get a greatshield because that's what they're for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Haha that owns so hard :golfclap:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So last night a message popped up that my save was corrupted. Oh ok PS4 I'll just restore my psn save. Oh that's corrupted too? Well bye bye to 500 hours of characters I guess.

I am salty af.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've never used a greatshield in this game because they all require ridiculous amounts of STR (like 45+ what the heck) and by the time I've got that much strength I'm already 90% through the game :negative:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Your Computer posted:

I've never used a greatshield in this game because they all require ridiculous amounts of STR (like 45+ what the heck) and by the time I've got that much strength I'm already 90% through the game :negative:

The majority of builds don't get all their options until 90% through the game, which is ridiculous.

E: I mean, obviously if your build relies on the final boss's soul or something, you're not gonna have everything until the end. But you're still getting basic poo poo all the way up until Archives.

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 3, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

New Concept Hole posted:

The majority of builds don't get all their options until 90% through the game, which is ridiculous.

This is honestly my #1 problem with DS3 and it has always been. It's very back-loaded both in terms of options and fun equipment.

I get that they want you to play NG+ but it's just bigger numbers with no other change :geno: Also part of the fun for me (and why I do all my gimmick runs on NG) is upgrading and having a sense of progress. In NG+ you start at +10 and steamroll and lose that part of the gameplay entirely.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

This is honestly my #1 problem with DS3 and it has always been. It's very back-loaded both in terms of options and fun equipment.

I get that they want you to play NG+ but it's just bigger numbers with no other change :geno: Also part of the fun for me (and why I do all my gimmick runs on NG) is upgrading and having a sense of progress. In NG+ you start at +10 and steamroll and lose that part of the gameplay entirely.

The solution to this problem is to have a best friend who also loves doing gimmick builds / multiple runs so you always have someone to do item trades with :v:

But even with that, I found getting to a point where you can use a greatshield early is still a bit rough, and I still wasn't very impressed. Probably need more stamina to make the most of it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It is kind of strange given that Dark 1 and Dark 2 were a lot more forgiving about giving you the option to grab or farm various weapons early in the game. Even Bloodborne while not super generous with its weapon selection made almost every weapon at least accessible by the midgame other than the one from the final boss (you could rush Cainhurst and the Beast Claws in Loran Chalice if you knew what you were doing). And the DLC was accessible early enough that many of the Old Hunters weapons were in reach. Hell even Demon's Souls was good about this, though the nonlinear branch structure of it kind of helped unless you wanted a specific boss weapon. Dark 3 is a bit stingy unless you want a bog-standard stock weapon.

EDIT: Though no complaints about the Titanite curve in DS3, it makes upgrading poo poo not a giant loving chore and the Dancer sequence break gets you early access to all the Large Shards you could ever want and plenty of Chunks if you've got the cojones to take her down. The Ringed City is also super generous with Chunks and Slabs.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 3, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Fuckin nioh has my controls all hosed. I'm on the tutorial for Chrissakes and I'm chugging in a fight

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

The solution to this problem is to have a best friend who also loves doing gimmick builds / multiple runs so you always have someone to do item trades with :v:
I've already done some fun gimmick runs with my best friend, CE :sparkles:

Nakar posted:

It is kind of strange given that Dark 1 and Dark 2 were a lot more forgiving about giving you the option to grab or farm various weapons early in the game. Even Bloodborne while not super generous with its weapon selection made almost every weapon at least accessible by the midgame other than the one from the final boss (you could rush Cainhurst and the Beast Claws in Loran Chalice if you knew what you were doing). And the DLC was accessible early enough that many of the Old Hunters weapons were in reach. Hell even Demon's Souls was good about this, though the nonlinear branch structure of it kind of helped unless you wanted a specific boss weapon. Dark 3 is a bit stingy unless you want a bog-standard stock weapon.

EDIT: Though no complaints about the Titanite curve in DS3, it makes upgrading poo poo not a giant loving chore and the Dancer sequence break gets you early access to all the Large Shards you could ever want and plenty of Chunks if you've got the cojones to take her down. The Ringed City is also super generous with Chunks and Slabs.
:agreed: to all of this.

What's even weirder is that in addition to DS3 being very linear, even the one thing you can "sequence break" is just... artificially walled off for no reason :geno: Would it kill them to just let us enter the Archives if we went through all the trouble of killing the Dancer early?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Your Computer posted:

What's even weirder is that in addition to DS3 being very linear, even the one thing you can "sequence break" is just... artificially walled off for no reason :geno: Would it kill them to just let us enter the Archives if we went through all the trouble of killing the Dancer early?

That decision really baffled me, too. You already have a limiting factor in that you can't enter the endgame without defeating all the Lords of Cinder, so why stop people from doing Lorian & Lothric first if they really wanted to?

Re: when you get weapons, I'm torn because I also dislike having to wait a long time to get a specific weapon I want, but I actually like the idea of getting new stuff well into the later stages of the game. I know I can always force myself to use something different, but I personally feel less compelled to experiment if the first weapon of a type I get is also one of the most effective (see: Zweihander).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I went from warrior starting shield to eagle knight shield, to crest shield to dragon crest shield. It was a nice orderly way to progress. I'm still using the claymore from the first dragon gauntlet, though.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Most of the best weapons in the game are available early on in Dark Souls 3, which makes locking the more specialized weapons deep into the game that much more baffling.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah 3 tries to have a progression of options. You get access to each type of weapon and magic early. But the options within that become more robust the entire time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm using input mapper but trying to rate messages is a bitch. Do I need to disable something since pressing the touchpad makes me attack half the time

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wanna start a new build but I have to transfer several items to get it started. Anyone wanna help me with this? In exchange I can help you transfer items or just gift you something. I have duplicates of most items across my characters at this point.

Steam name is the same as my forum one.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It was a thing before. It's okay, except for games that require good timing... Like blood borne

It sounds dumb but it makes me hope that if it gets both a lot of demand and a lot of complaints, they'll figure out a better way to do it. I don't even game on pc I just want the world to be able to enjoy bloodborne

skasion posted:

Voyage to Arcturus is a 10/10 book but I'm not entirely sure it's the best kind of model for games about slaughtering giant monsters. I'd aim for The Night Land, which is basically already a Soulsborne setting right down to the sun going out and the main character's weapon being a whirligig saw.

That is another ripper for sure and would make great source material. I kinda disagree about VtA though; Maskull doesn't do much fighting but there's a lot of very Souls-like stuff in there. Gaining new powers by growing new organs, the gods who turn out to be just giant statues with corpses inside, the guy who can turn people into trees with his psychic hater organ and then Maskull kills him but he can still kind of feel the dudes consciousness swimming around inside his, and even the profound yet totally confusing and dissatisfying ending.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

E: I mean, obviously if your build relies on the final boss's soul or something, you're not gonna have everything until the end. But you're still getting basic poo poo all the way up until Archives.

This is why I only played through DS3 once despite at least 3 full playthroughs of every other Souls game, when I started my second run it felt like my only option was to do the same thing as the first run. It's been preventing me from buying the DLC too because every time I reinstall the game and start it up and get through High Lothric I lose interest in playing the same character again.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
So I finished this yesterday and thought it was awesome. I don't think I've ever been a fan of any kind of media to the extent I was for Dark Souls, even if I played thousands of hours of DotA 2 and World of Warcraft. I've felt incredibly invested in this series since I played Demon's souls 6 years ago, and am completely satisfied with how the DLC ended.

The Splitleaf Greatsword is absolutely amazing, and has like 560ar with 50str and a heavy infusion. I rolled with it and the Follower Javelin on my right hand, and a cestus in my off-hand, and felt like I always had options to deal with any situation. Also, when fighting people, holding down the L2 on the Splitleaf Greatsword is awesome as an intimidation move and great at catching people who are overly aggressive. I think there was a guy in Berserk that did exactly that.

I summoned Lapp for the Demon Prince and he tanked the poo poo out of everything with his Curse-Ward Greatshield. I thought he was going to be the DS2 protagonist for quite a while since he seemed like such a badass, but once I found him squatting it was a great "oh poo poo" moment as I realized who he was as soon as I saw him. I agree him kicking you down at that point is more like him doing it for old time's sake and general trickery, than out of malice, since his tone and words definitely imply a different attitude. A fine dark soul to you, too.

I got invaded a few times once I hit the Ringed city, and it was always some rear end in a top hat with the dual greatswords that somehow seem to stun for 3 hits and have huge phantom range. I'd just randomly get caught by the first L1 and it would be over from max health (around 1200), which seemed like a crock of poo poo. I hope they get nerfed soon. At the pvp fight, I fought 2 guys with these as well, got wrecked in both cases. On my third attempt I found someone with Gael's Greatsword and completely wrecked them.

Midir was a dick but once I just sprinted at him and hit his head as a first priority, only hitting his tail when he reared up to shoot downward, it was manageable, and a lot more fun.

Gael was a loving amazing fight, and even made me make some fanart, which I'll share once I get home later. If anything, I think it was maybe a tad more bombastic and over the top than I would have liked for the end of this, but while fighting him it was so intimidating and awe-inspiring that I was basically fighting him with my mouth open every time he did something new. I was watching someone play against him today and just noticed that if you run too far away from him in phases 2/3, he teleports to you with some kind of miracle. Way of the White Corona is still sad even in super saiyan mode and shooting like 8 of them at a time, and was the best opportunity to hit him, mostly.
The descriptions of his weapons and soul are great as well, since they mention how he knew he wasn't going to make it back, and that explains why he left all those signs guiding you through the DLC. Per his soul: "The red-hooded, wandering slave knight Gael sought the blood of the dark soul as pigment for the Painted World. But Gael knew he was no Champion, that the dark soul would likely ruin him and that he had little hope of a safe return."
His repeater is all dented and brittle due to using it for absolutely ages of just fighting thousands of monsters, his sword is battered and broken. I found it pretty cool that the while the sword was an Executioner's Greatsword, it's splintered and now ends at a point, and if you use it, the regular attacks are the same as on it's old self, but the R2 is now a stab, which kind of reflects the description on his repeater, too. He was basically just relentlessly trudging along, finding any way to get to the Dark Soul, being resourceful, inventing new ways of dealing with stuff he couldn't handle and improvising as the task required, knowing in the end you'd likely have to kill him and bring the pigment back.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 3, 2017

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

People who get super smug about not using a shield are dumb and stupid. Not that that's what is going on here but i see it everywhere and it's dumb cause sometimes the best thing to do is block an attack.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I always have a nice sturdy medium shield. I don't always use it but I like having the option.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Maleh-Vor posted:

Gael was a loving amazing fight, and even made me make some fanart, which I'll share once I get home later. If anything, I think it was maybe a tad more bombastic and over the top than I would have liked for the end of this, but while fighting him it was so intimidating and awe-inspiring that I was basically fighting him with my mouth open every time he did something new. I was watching someone play against him today and just noticed that if you run too far away from him in phases 2/3, he teleports to you with some kind of miracle. Way of the White Corona is still sad even in super saiyan mode and shooting like 8 of them at a time, and was the best opportunity to hit him, mostly.
The descriptions of his weapons and soul are great as well, since they mention how he knew he wasn't going to make it back, and that explains why he left all those signs guiding you through the DLC. Per his soul: "The red-hooded, wandering slave knight Gael sought the blood of the dark soul as pigment for the Painted World. But Gael knew he was no Champion, that the dark soul would likely ruin him and that he had little hope of a safe return."
His repeater is all dented and brittle due to using it for absolutely ages of just fighting thousands of monsters, his sword is battered and broken. I found it pretty cool that the while the sword was an Executioner's Greatsword, it's splintered and now ends at a point, and if you use it, the regular attacks are the same as on it's old self, but the R2 is now a stab, which kind of reflects the description on his repeater, too. He was basically just relentlessly trudging along, finding any way to get to the Dark Soul, being resourceful, inventing new ways of dealing with stuff he couldn't handle and improvising as the task required, knowing in the end you'd likely have to kill him and bring the pigment back.

What is great is that both options of "final boss" suggest an outcome to any given Dark Souls protagonist.

The Soul of Cinder is the noble image of a brave warrior who sacrficed all to be with the flame.
Whereas Gael is a creature who will fight, endlessly, who just keeps going, who wanders out into the Dark to hunt it forever and ever. He's a New Game plus plus plus character, a life of nothing but fighting and killing.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I found the final DLC boss very tedious and unfun to deal with.

The perfect analogue of the Dark Souls community.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I didn't even realize that was gonna be the last boss fight...figured it was a miniboss before getting to roam around in this hosed up world and fighting the dragon, which I apparently missed

Needless to say I was very confused when I got my poo poo pushed in in a matter of seconds

What's everyone's hot take on the nature of the princess's sleep? Are we in the far future or is everything just an illusion imposed on us by Gwyn/the snakes/i don't loving know

I left this DLC feeling even more confused than ever, we got some answers but also a lot more questions. I don't get so many things, and my predictions were waaaaay off. I really was hoping that we had been in an age of dark all along and we kept it going via a clever reversal of the original pilgrimage, as a lot of the subtext seemed to suggest this and so many things don't add up

Course, the Londor sisters wearing their love of the dark on their sleeves and pushing their (Kathee's?) desire to kill the cycle definitely didn't play nice with my theories, nor did the Soul of Cinder, who seems to clearly be the force/guardian that is keeping the age of fire going

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 3, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I'm in NG5+ now and faith is actually really good. The lightning bow miracle puts in work and with sage+2 I can reliably get a storm off to handle invasions. The corona spell is still awful with its amazing 246 damage :smith:.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm in NG5+ now and faith is actually really good. The lightning bow miracle puts in work and with sage+2 I can reliably get a storm off to handle invasions. The corona spell is still awful with its amazing 246 damage :smith:.

Corona would be so much better if it didn't disintegrate whenever it hits the floor or a wall, which is inevitably where it always ends up, but instead just stopped there to wait to come back. You would be able to throw them at the floor when people are chasing you around corners to be a kind of landmine or hazard on the ground, or things like that, and have your own lovely version of a lava pool from chaos pyromancies.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy loving poo poo archdragon peak! :tviv:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

fatih + dex or str? Never done faith before.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Torquemadras posted:

I wouldn't mind the Souls formula to go on forever, with various finetuned mechanics like exact online matchmaking rules, combo mechanics, different ways of parying, rally system, spells vs. hunter tools, etc.

The only thing that I absolutely expect future games in this vein to do is to provide more QoL improvements, to refine wonky but basically fine concept from earlier iterations, and to pursue a general modernization of the formula. Stuff like more dynamic character interactions, actual mouth flaps, more complex tasks than "just" proceeding through a level, more complex enemy behaviour beyond patrols and enemy vs. enemy... I'd like the series to go wildly experimental, with a solid bedrock of tried-and-true mechanics from 5 games.

But more than anything, I want the series to push the boundaries. Technological limits should be outright obliterated. Have boss fights with hundreds of enemies, that dynamically combine and team up! Have enemies destroy and recreate terrain everywhere, literally raising dungeons around you, then smashing them! Let me use enemies as platforms! Let's have a gargantuan boss that doesn't just fight you at convenient waist height level OR slowly stomp on you, I want that giant to climb around on a multistage pyramid or something, with him constantly trying new angles to pound that scurrying little player bastard into paste, to the point that it reaches inside the pyramid's corridors to pull you out and poo poo. Obliterate the barrier between bosses and dungeons, so that the minotaur or whatever actually tries to hunt you down throughout a labyrinth, with it constantly adapting to new surroundings. Fight a beefed-up mimic in a mansion, only to discover that there's a horde of those drat things, and every second household object tries to murder you in ridiculous ways, until the house itself starts dripping digestive juices and chomping at you with doorways. Fight a D&D style beholder or Medusa, whose gaze actually petrifies, so the fight is a frantic stealth thing while the boss smashes everything in search of you, and you literally try to get the boss offscreen to stop dying - including fakeouts with mirrors, and a fun mechanic to voluntarily close your eyes and go blind to be safe from petrification. They've already got an adoring dumb fanbase, let's get crazy with concepts and technical marvels.

Point is, I never want to see a boring circular/rectangular arena again, and certainly never any armored humanoids that lazily doll out three swings while you circle-strafe-dodge everything.

I agree that whatever comes next, I hope it experiments with new stuff in an interesting way.

Something I'd also really like to see tried is making a Dark Souls style action game where you're actually controlling something non-humanoid. Even just a quadruped would radically change up how you handled movement and control scheme. I'm envisioning lots of drifting coming into play as you pivot around a lot to maintain mobility. Like imagine the Boars from both nier games but your character pulls that kind of stuff all the time as part of their normal movement kit.

Azuth0667 posted:

I would like to see a game based around co-op team play. You and your group of dudes head down into a sen's fortress-like zone to retrieve the whatsit so you can go do whatever plot thing or unlock some upgrade. Put in a good AI so you can play it offline and make each archetype feel distinct/useful.

I desperately want a souls style game that actually 100% expects co-op and designs around it so that co-op doesn't trivialize the game.

Annath posted:

He does go hollow, thats Lapp's questline. I choose to believe Patches goes Hollow when he runs out of Clerics/Players to kick into pits, as the world ages. That's why he ends up betraying you despite his promise while still Lapp: kicking you into pits is his essential essence, what makes him who he is.

I choose to interpret it as a kick for old times sake. He knows there's a ledge right below so you'll be fine.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 3, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I've run into a decent number of invaders on the strength build I put together to use fun DLC toys, and man does Vordt's Hammer absolutely clown people. R1, R1, R2 will usually just kill people who try to roll away after they come out of stagger from the 2nd R2. I've killed an invader and a Harald Knight in the same R1 hit. Nuts.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nakar posted:

On the other hand, bloodborne has the single worst early game weapon situation of any of the souls styled games and it makes planning a build in advance extra lovely unless your build plans to use one of the very limited selection available to you until you hit whatever point in the game just starts making GBS threads out weapons left and right.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

double nine posted:

fatih + dex or str? Never done faith before.

Straight faith SL127:

Using the knight as a template 30 vig, 40 att, 30 end, 60 faith. Using a lightning longsword, etheral oak shield, canvas talisman, simple caestus and yorshka's chime for weapon set up. Sage +2, both miracle rings and Favor+3 for rings. Add whatever fashion you want.

Your sunlight spears hit really hard. You can make invaders back off by spamming lightning storm. You have a straightsword so you can go to town on anyone you want. You have a shield so you can handle annoying enemies and a caestus if you want to try to be a parry king. The lightning arrow spell works wonders in pvp too because you can hold it until they commit to an attack.

E: Also if anyone on PC wants to co-op I'm wandering through the game again with my faith build with fingers active for pvp shenanigans SAAzuth0667.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 4, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Man getting hits in on midir is hard. I only got like 10% through him. he's cool as hell but this is a bit much

Obligatum VII posted:

I desperately want a souls style game that actually 100% expects co-op and designs around it so that co-op doesn't trivialize the game.

Specifically blue cop co op too. Like have the pile in pvp be part of the core experience.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Man getting hits in on midir is hard. I only got like 10% through him. he's cool as hell but this is a bit much

Specifically blue cop co op too. Like have the pile in pvp be part of the core experience.

I find midir is way, way worse trying to co-op. Not only does he get stupid amounts of HP, but you never know when he's just going to gently caress you over by spinning around and taking off most of your HP with a tail whip so he can tackle the other guy. And since he'll do that to the host too, the host is never ready then dies before anyone else does.

But re: co-op bosses. It's a cool idea but unless they do something like match you with teams of NPCs like the dark souls 2 gank boss, or have you fight against more dudes who summon player invaders at a better rate than the mirror knight did, then you're not going to find much competition there. It's super, super hard for a PVE boss to stand against more than one player without just being a big block of bullshit like midir. I think in two a few of them, like the samurai, got more aggressive on top of the extra HP if you entered with a buddy but that wasn't enough.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I've been getting some strange glitches on PS4 since the DLC release where I suddenly run into invisible walls where there shouldn't be any. They go away if I quit and reload, but it's pretty jarring, especially if they trap me in a way that I can't get out of.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rubellavator posted:

People who get super smug about not using a shield are dumb and stupid. Not that that's what is going on here but i see it everywhere and it's dumb cause sometimes the best thing to do is block an attack.

This has always annoyed me too. Shields are fun. Rolling is fun. They aren't mutually exclusive. I just let them have it though, because bragging about alleged Dark Souls prowess online in some sort of attempt to feel masculine is probably the saddest thing I have ever seen, and those people need to feel good about something I guess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

This has always annoyed me too. Shields are fun. Rolling is fun. They aren't mutually exclusive. I just let them have it though, because bragging about alleged Dark Souls prowess online in some sort of attempt to feel masculine is probably the saddest thing I have ever seen, and those people need to feel good about something I guess.

:( If I put a shield on I got over my preferred weight limit. My swords are heavy and I haven't murdered halflight enough to afford more levels yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not saying you need to use a shield. I'm just talking YouTube comments and general online dipshittery "why u use shield bro get gud"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not saying you need to use a shield. I'm just talking YouTube comments and general online dipshittery "why u use shield bro get gud"

Much like the people who insist summoning is "wrong" these people are the worst.

That said, I'm a huge fan of shields but in DS3 I more often than not found bosses easier without a shield. For instance, I was struggling really badly on Sulyvahn for a good while until I decided that the shield was just holding me back. Dropped the shield, went two-hand and immediately beat him! Shields are still wonderful for a lot of the enemy encounters (especially small enemies like thralls and dogs) but a shield is almost never a good idea in a boss fight in DS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The way I see it, if you can solo the bosses, you are objectively good at the game. It's that simple, I suppose; soloing a boss means nothing distracts it from YOU as its target, meaning it won't uselessly attack and give you openings to heal or attack.

The Sanctuary Guardian in DS1 is a great example of a boss that's tough for both co-op and solo play, but you can brute-force him co-op and you cannot solo. The Sanctuary Guardian has a bunch of different attacks and only a few good openings, and you gotta learn his moves, his tells, and react appropriately for a lengthy battle where greed is punished and you're constantly outmatched. It's borderline unfair, he's borderline too fast for you, but it skirts the edges and as a result it feels INCREDIBLE when you kill him solo.

In all honesty, a lot of tough fights are much easier solo. Midir is a good example of a boss whom having multiple players seems deeply pointless; you want him to focus on you so you can attack his head, and the only real way to deal consistent damage is to learn his attacks and exploit his openings.