Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They also fixed up the CG a little bit (that they already did just for the Quadrilogy release) for the scene where the alien is born and runs off. Such an awesome job restoring the movie pretty much as great as it can be with what was available.

Just as important, the making of documentary is uncut on the blu-ray. When the Quadrilogy first came out on DVD it was heavily edited and even had the title changed so that David Fincher basically barely exists in it and stuff portraying Fox in a more negative light was removed. But all of that is present on the blu-ray version.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neo Rasa posted:

They also fixed up the CG a little bit (that they already did just for the Quadrilogy release) for the scene where the alien is born and runs off.

No more good boy Alien?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The_Doctor posted:

No more good boy Alien?

I really like that for a minute the production department was so lost and non-communicative that somehow it got okayed through multiple people that they would, like, dress up a dog... like, like The Killer Shrews or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There's a campy but totally rad Canadian horror flick called Deadly Eyes about giant rats. It's basically the exact same movie as Night of the Lepus but about rats instead of rabbits (amusingly even the title recalls that, upon realizing how dumb as dogshit Night of the Lepus is, the posters and marketing were all based around tons of eyeballs and the eyes of terror and stuff).

Anyway the giant rats were accomplished by dressing up a bunch of dogs, and it's awesome because there's tons of shots where like they must have forgotten to dress one up or the outfit didn't stay on because you just see a couple of happy dogs running with the pack. And of course there's the obligatory hand puppet for close up shots.

I mean obviously that's a totally different galaxy from the production of Alien 3 but I will always love that this way higher profile movie came to the same conclusion. I love when they talk about it in the documentary too because everyone is so frank about everything regarding what a pain in the rear end creating Alien 3 turned out to be, EXCEPT when it comes to the dog no one wants to own up to it. The people speaking about it all do so along the lines of "Well yeah uh sometimes uh OTHER people have certain ideas and uhm uh you know you get excited about trying things er of course I knew from the beginning it wouldn't work of course."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Anyway the giant rats were accomplished by dressing up a bunch of dogs, and it's awesome because there's tons of shots where like they must have forgotten to dress one up or the outfit didn't stay on because you just see a couple of happy dogs running with the pack. And of course there's the obligatory hand puppet for close up shots.

I imagine the costumes couldn't possibly stay on 100% of the time so in any scene featuring a bunch of running dogs at least one or two of them would shake their costumes. Good luck getting one single dog to keep an uncomfortable costume on, let alone a whole pack .

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a campy but totally rad Canadian horror flick called Deadly Eyes about giant rats. It's basically the exact same movie as Night of the Lepus but about rats instead of rabbits (amusingly even the title recalls that, upon realizing how dumb as dogshit Night of the Lepus is, the posters and marketing were all based around tons of eyeballs and the eyes of terror and stuff).

I mean obviously that's a totally different galaxy from the production of Alien 3 but I will always love that this way higher profile movie came to the same conclusion. I love when they talk about it in the documentary too because everyone is so frank about everything regarding what a pain in the rear end creating Alien 3 turned out to be, EXCEPT when it comes to the dog no one wants to own up to it. The people speaking about it all do so along the lines of "Well yeah uh sometimes uh OTHER people have certain ideas and uhm uh you know you get excited about trying things er of course I knew from the beginning it wouldn't work of course."

Hahaha. Knowing those are dogs, I couldn't stop laughing through this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVT31kxL7yw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Spatulater bro! posted:

Rehearsals were so tough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGE39IsemFw

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spatulater bro! posted:

The end where they jump on him becomes very adorable, they are just excited to give the nice man kisses :3:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Those are just really smart dogs. They know the giant rats will eat them otherwise so they pretend to be part of the swarm.

K. Waste posted:

I really like that for a minute the production department was so lost and non-communicative that somehow it got okayed through multiple people that they would, like, dress up a dog... like, like The Killer Shrews or something.

Yoda was originally supposed to be a real monkey.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Did they get to the point of doing tests with a real monkey? Is the monkey still in the pre-Special Editions of ESB via being the Emperor's eyes for the hologram effect?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

K. Waste posted:

Its not like movies never do that. Stargate dressed up a dog to look like an alien camel/horse thing and had it pull a James Spader looking GI Joe for a scene.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Alien 3 is easily my favorite installment in the series. The Weyland-Yutani prisoners finding redemption and a final sense of purpose in themselves by trying to kill the Alien in a futile scenario before their owners (the company) could get it was totally my poo poo. That prison environment was so, so foreboding as well. It was also the first Alien movie I saw as a kid.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A scene from Covenant was screened and it shows what happened to David after Prometheus. He uses the Engineer ship to bombard a planet of alien humanoids with black goo. He is also apparently reattached to his body, and Shaw is nowhere in sight.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The MSJ posted:

A scene from Covenant was screened and it shows what happened to David after Prometheus. He uses the Engineer ship to bombard a planet of alien humanoids with black goo. He is also apparently reattached to his body, and Shaw is nowhere in sight.

Another scene from the synopsis leaked ages ago confirmed then.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alienwarehouse posted:

Alien 3 is easily my favorite installment in the series.

i'm sorry.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The assembly cut is extremely good, though?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The assembly cut is extremely good, though?

One might say it's loving awesome.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The MSJ posted:

Doesn't sound that bad, wish we got to see Shaw get killed off though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Doesn't sound that bad, wish we got to see Shaw get killed off though.

That's in the leaked outline, just absent in this single screened scene, presumably. They didn't screen the whole movie.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS6vlww_sFE

Kane's Cloned Xenomorph explained!

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

:stare: :stare: :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S52QKMXToo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im73_pQCslc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkga-crVXVk

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

may needs to hurry the gently caress up and get here

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

What I don't get about this new one and Prometheus;

In Alien, when they're nosing around the derelict, isn't there a line of dialogue, from either Hurt or Skerritt, about how it's millions of years old or something?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In Prometheus, they found a mural depicting a xenomorph in the black goo room.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BeigeJacket posted:

In Alien, when they're nosing around the derelict, isn't there a line of dialogue, from either Hurt or Skerritt, about how it's millions of years old or something?

is alien 1 even canon anymore

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Is a trucker saying "this must be millions of years old" that reliable?

That said, it could be. The black goo has clearly resulted in classic xenos before. And even if it is a more recent crash, the ship itself would be millions of years old.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BeigeJacket posted:

Dallas says it looks "fossilized".

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Dallas says it looks "fossilized".

Well then, a trucker's assessment of a weird biomechanical exosuit. Doesn't really put a solid date on things.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BeigeJacket posted:

The Engineers have potentially been doing these experiments(if that's even an appropriate word to use for what they're doing) for millions of years, there's nothing in Prometheus that contradicts that. The station that they find in Prometheus has had activity as recently as a few thousand years ago, but that doesn't mean the derelict on LV-426 couldn't be much much older than that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The derelict in alien has nothing to do with Prometheus or the engineers because it's way older and the pilot is clearly a proper alien not just a big human. The boring rear end startrek "humans but a bit different" aliens from Prometheus probably just stole this much more ancient and mysterious race's technology and their version of WY managed to weaponize the alien properly. If WY had managed to get the alien in the first movie humans would probably be the engineers within a century or so.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Even as early as the commentary track on the 1997 DVD of Alien Scott has said he always envisioned it as a bio-mechanical suit attached to a more humanoid person. And I think Prometheus did a good job with that. The Engineer we see in the intro is basically a big human but the one that's awakened at the end clearly as a much of bio-mechanical/whatever details and bits on him that are clearly part of his body and meant for the suit to attach to.

He actually toyed with that a bit in Blade Runner too. The small tattoos on Roy's chest are meant to be the points where a powered armor suit would plug in and link with his body for battling in deep space.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

The derelict in alien has nothing to do with Prometheus or the engineers because it's way older and the pilot is clearly a proper alien not just a big human. The boring rear end startrek "humans but a bit different" aliens from Prometheus probably just stole this much more ancient and mysterious race's technology and their version of WY managed to weaponize the alien properly. If WY had managed to get the alien in the first movie humans would probably be the engineers within a century or so.

That's one theory but its not necessary for Prometheus to fit in just fine with what we see in Alien. I don't agree that the Space Jockey is "clearly" not an Engineer, there's nothing definitive in that scene at all(which is what makes it so perfect). You find the Engineers in Prometheus to be boring, so you can concoct a scenario where the Space Jockey scene doesn't actually involve them if you want, but that's just one of many possibilities.

Also, obligatory mention of how the "humans but a bit different" thing from Prometheus is purposely designed to be anti-climactic. Its exactly what the characters are feeling, "oh wait, we were actually just created by some shithead scientists who were loving around with our DNA for no discernible reason?" Would it really have been a better movie if the Engineers had elephant trunks?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

That's one theory but its not necessary for Prometheus to fit in just fine with what we see in Alien. I don't agree that the Space Jockey is "clearly" not an Engineer, there's nothing definitive in that scene at all(which is what makes it so perfect). You find the Engineers in Prometheus to be boring, so you can concoct a scenario where the Space Jockey scene doesn't actually involve them if you want, but that's just one of many possibilities.

Also, obligatory mention of how the "humans but a bit different" thing from Prometheus is purposely designed to be anti-climactic. Its exactly what the characters are feeling, "oh wait, we were actually just created by some shithead scientists who were loving around with our DNA for no discernible reason?" Would it really have been a better movie if the Engineers had elephant trunks?

This is made explicit in David's conversation with Shaw's husband. David asks why humans created him and is told "because we could." He then states how disappointing it would be if the Prometheus crew found what they were looking for and got the same answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtGFAfJm45s

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 3, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Also made explicit when they find an intact head of their god and the first thing they do is put it in a microwave.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

I was one of the people who was initially up in arms about the Engineers not being Space Elephants but you're right, it would have needed to be a different movie for that to work.

In my own head-canon the concept that they are distinct races is kind of appealing but I'm also perfectly content with the two movies not matching up perfectly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Also made explicit when they find an intact head of their god and the first thing they do is put it in a microwave.

I love that scene

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i both think the engineers look cool as their own thing and also think they're lame as the space jockey. it's just one of those things better left to the imagination.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
People mining Prometheus, a movie about how those who expect clear answers will meet horrible deaths, in the hope of finding clear answers will never be not funny.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's just one of those things better left to the imagination.

that's where the best horror is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

I hope a living Engineer makes a cameo in this.