Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath Complete!

Mirage-5, looking very springy with new growth for the theme.

KTS, I am claiming Box Art for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

I did the technical challenge with the homemade Blood Rage token.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ilor posted:

I, Ilor, do oath this scratch-built supply junk for the month of March!

The boxes are wooden cubes and coffee stirrers. The barrels are 9/16" plastic rod, paper, and wire. The tires are laser-cut MDF, but I'm claiming scratch-build for them too because I designed and cut them myself.

glitchkrieg posted:

Let's see if I can get this finished in the next few days.

I, glitchkrieg, do oath this converted 28mm storm trooper for the month of March!

Bits from GW Guardsman, GW Scion, Anvil Industries magazine, and I can't remember where I grabbed the head and legs from.

Schmetterling posted:

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for the month of March a dragon figurine, a cardboard box lid, some cork, and a bunch of tiny books I made out of balsa and wallpaper scraps.

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath addition!
1 homemade token for Blood Rage.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I, Indolent Bastard, hereby Oath for the month of March a fairy shrine.

Signal posted:

Oath Addition/Completion!

Made myself an Ent, and I'll be claiming Speed Paint in my final completion post. :)

Approved!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just a quick announcement re next season, I've started putting together a document for the initial post with the rules etc. Please feel free to check it and let me know if I've missed anything or if you have comments or suggestions for Achievements / Challenges. https://docs.google.com/document/d/11cp0buWV7rGc5TTvIC4q3IFmyEUUTzOxXr4pmXN6vfY/edit?usp=sharing

Also I'm currently working on the Jan and Feb galleries and they should be up for judging this weekend.

EDIT: OK they're up: https://imgur.com/a/LAYts https://imgur.com/a/3uFaJ - check I've not missed your pics, I'll send em to the Judges this weekend. Note some are out of order as Imgur was being especially lovely and delaying some pics even after I uploaded them in order!

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 31, 2017

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
OATH COMPLETE

Challenge: Who says undeath and new life have to be mutually exclusive? This deceased troll may be shambling around the battlefield under the power of necromantic energy, but the new greenery spreading on his gravedirt-caked form is pure old-fashioned nature.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete!

I am quite pleased with how the wood planks came out, and I think the posters look ok. Wasn't too sure where to take the painted parts of the wagon next but I think it turned out well.

Slipknot here (from Suicide Squad) was originally going to be more like the movie colours, but I was so uninspired that I dunked it in stripper and started over. I decided to just go for bright colours because comics.

I like the movie scheme for Deadshot so did something similiar. Got stuck on how to do the gun so went for pimp.

Captain Boomerang I think is going to get a fair bit of table time and I try not to paint all of my Batman stuff as straight copies of the source material, so ditched the usual blues and went with this. Should stand out a bit at tournaments without being too off the wall.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Oath Complete!

I'm not happy with her boots. I was aiming for Timberlands but they just haven't highlighted nicely.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete!

No journal this time, but I am claiming Box art for my attempt to follow the color schemes in the character cards.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Oath Complete

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath complete!

WIP:
Airbrushed a lightish brown, and basecoated in the bronze areas with Vallejo Heavy Goldbrown
Hit the rest of the basecoats, not worrying too much about most of it because 6mm is surprisingly forgiving.
Heavy wash of Liquitex Burnt Umber Ink with a little bit of black India Ink as well, followed by some highlighting up. I feel like even though highlighting 6mm is a pain, it does a lot to really add definition to the model. Drew some Taurus signs on their shields because war cows.
Basing was an exercise in frustration, as I realized the colors I'd put under their feet didn't line up with anything (the pic is of a different base) Spent the rest of the month idly poking at different recipes, trying to get something to line up properly. Gravel with a bit of wash on it for the earth, and then green flock for grass gives a decent battlefield look.

Claiming Journal for the giant tree creature, WIP for my Mini-Minotaurs, and I was going to claim Speed Painting until I found out that I already have it! I dunno if it counts for Box Art, but I tried to make the Minotaurs look like Middle-Age Pangea troops, wearing Bronze Armor.

Signal fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 31, 2017

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, oath for March the Tooth and the Thorn, from Malifaux by Wyrd (32mm)

As with my Winter oath, taking advantage of nominally-seasonal faeries...

Oath Complete!

As the Thorn (on the left) is the Spring-aspected one of the three knights, I'm claiming that for my Journal

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oath Complete!

I finished my trukk/tank creation. I wanted to do more stuff with the fire but I was hitting a skill wall and just stopped there.

The last thing that an unfortunate guardsmen/grot rebellion may see bearing down on them:

Bonus picture with it stuffed with Orks from the previous iteration of this thread. I really thought I would get more in there, but nope.

I am claiming the Jurnal on account of me having built the entire thing from parts of a WWII half-track, some leman russ pieces, and a bunch of plasticard. Including building the driver from bits and converting a grot into an impromptu gunner. :orks101:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Complete! Jurnul for these being scratch built!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath complete!

I'm claiming the Technical Challenge fore these because they're complete scratch-builds! The barrels are made from paper!

I'm also claiming the "I rolled a 6!" achievement, as these are Jump-Off Point (i.e. deployment) markers for Chain of Command.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster oath 1 Tethru Priest (28mm) by Crocodile games for the month of March.

and here it is:

I spent all my free time in March playing all those amazing videogames that came out or painting stuff I didn't want to oath. And I forgot to post my initial oath picture before painting him, hope that's ok.

I love how buff this guy is. I guess krill must have lots of protein. Claiming the theme challenge because he's both green and clearly all about growth, especially of your lats.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Oath complete! Want to spend more time on it, but I also want to go to bed.

Claiming scratch-built technical challenge because it's made out of 5 different kits/bits and a tiny bit of putty.

glitchkrieg posted:

Let's see if I can get this finished in the next few days.

I, glitchkrieg, do oath this converted 28mm storm trooper for the month of March!

Bits from GW Guardsman, GW Scion, Anvil Industries magazine, and I can't remember where I grabbed the head and legs from.

hexa fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 1, 2017

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Got called into work so I had to rush my bases (and realise they are different to my other pieces dammit) but I managed to take a snap. Name has been updated, same pic. Horrible phone editing software :(

Oath complete!

Dr. Phildo fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 2, 2017

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oath complete. Claiming Theme Challenge and Backstory.

Backstory

Tik. Tik. Tik. A staff clicked on the brick road. A short and hunched figure slowly trod along, its movements unnaturally loose. Nothing else moved as it walked, a chill and hushed silence following it. The surrounding buildings were quiet and empty, their windows broken and their doors long since torn from their hinges.

The figure halted suddenly as it came a step away from an oddity. In the middle of nothingness, a quiet death, a hint of green was poking its way from the bare mud and old brick. It leaned further over, cocking its head this way and that. As it looked at the verdant blossom, defiantly pushing its way out of the detritus of humanity, unfamiliar thoughts began to flitter through its mind.

Somewhere beyond sight, the grand skein that is Fate began to be tested and pulled. A single solitary string, intimately interwoven with the grand cord that is Death, began to tug away, a glimmer of strange light winding its way through the widening gap.

All at once, there was a far-away shout, the anguished cry of ending. The figure's head jerked up and it peered into the distance. The gap of Fate began to shrink and vanish as the string returned to its embrace of death. The figure began to walk again, its jerky movements betraying an imitation of life, as it slowly moved towards another ended life.

In the world of Malifaux, many make their own Fate. Some do not have that privilege.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

I'm claiming the conversion challenge for this guy, as he has a weapon swap, a head swap and some extra detailing done with little ball bearings.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I, The Moon Monster oath 1 Tethru Priest (28mm) by Crocodile games for the month of March.

and here it is:

I spent all my free time in March playing all those amazing videogames that came out or painting stuff I didn't want to oath. And I forgot to post my initial oath picture before painting him, hope that's ok.

I love how buff this guy is. I guess krill must have lots of protein. Claiming the theme challenge because he's both green and clearly all about growth, especially of your lats.

Approved this time, but don't let it become a habit!

Dr. Phildo posted:

Got called into work so I had to rush my bases (and realise they are different to my other pieces dammit) but I managed to take a snap, sorry for nonname on pic :( will update it when I get home

Oath complete!

glitchkrieg posted:

Oath complete! Want to spend more time on it, but I also want to go to bed.

Claiming scratch-built technical challenge because it's made out of 5 different kits/bits and a tiny bit of putty.
Both of these looking good, but get your names on the pics if you want them to count!

:siren: 1 hour remaining! :siren:

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

Say hello to the Book Wyrm.

Theme is the extensive scratch building involved in making this diorama.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:pirate: Oath complete! :pirate:

Claiming the challenge for my custom sscratchbuilt Ogre Army Standard Bearer on Chariot for Kings of War, made from all the different bits in the OP

Also claiming backstory

A creature seldom seen in the young kingdoms, the Great Rhino is perfetly adapted for life on the Mammoth Steppe. Their long necks allow them to reach the juiciest leaves at the tops of the tallest trees, and spot approaching predators from afar, while their long legs allow them to simply walk over the great grass seas with ease, moving between the island-like woods that dot the steppes with less effort than would take a shorter creature forced to push through the dense grass, with the added bonus of not leaving a furrow of crushed grass for predators to follow. The Ogres have long recognised the gifts of this creature - the Grass Strider, in their tongue - and senior Ogres will often utilise them to carry off loot and pay with speed no wagon can match. When the entire clan is called to war, this otherwise peaceful beast often finds a use as well - carrying the largest of standards, high enough for the entire battle to witness, and fear.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

:siren: Brushes down, March is finished! :siren:

Onwards to April:

quote:

April: Kickin' it Old Skool!
technical challenge: paint a model in an 'old' painting style! Classic GW style with bright green rims? Perfect! Even better is if you can find a painting DVD or guide from way back when (we all have one kicking around, right?) and copy their (dated, limited) style as close as you can
theme challenge: paint the OLDEST model you have in your stack of models! Obviously we don't keep track of every model you have in your stack of unpainted models, but anything that is clearly 'old' will do

Get Oathing!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I plan on oathing a terminator captain when it arrives in the mail with my paints, so in about a week or so, and I had a question about the theme

would "style" cover color scheme in this instance? I plan on doing primary colors, mostly blues and yellows with red and white details with green grass basing, but using more modern coloring techniques.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I, KingMob, Oath for April...

4 woman squad for Rogue Stars (Raging Heroes, 28mm)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I grey, hunter, Oath, erm. A entire Division of British troops, plus a Corps HQ.

Oh boy, that's :

British Division Pack 1915-18

1 HQ of 9 figures
3 Battalion HQs each of 4 figures (12)
24 companies of advancing infantry each of 4 figures (96)
24 companies of firing infantry each of 4 figures (96)
4 x Pioneer companies each of 4 figures (16)
12 Vickers MG teams (
1 company of cavalry of 3 figures
6 x 18pdrs and crew (6 guns, 24 crew)
1 x 4.5" Howitzers and crew (1 gun, 4 crew)
6 x 3" Mortars and crew (6 guns, 18 crew)
2 x 2" Mortars and crew (2 guns, 6 crew)
1 x 9.45" Mortar and crew (1 gun, 3 crew.)

British Corps HQ Pack 1915-18

1 HQ of 18 figures
3 x 18pdrs and crew
3 x 4.5" Howitzers and crew
2 x 60pdrs and crew
4 x 6" Howitzers and crew

plus another 12 mortars to bring my 1914 division up to snuff.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I, JackMack, Oath a Savage and a Gentleman Scavenger from EM4 miniatures (28mm) for the month of April

I have gone through my collection and feel these are from the oldest miniatures in my collection. A poster on Yaktribe stated that Andy Chambers used a mixture of Catachans and the EM4 Future Skirmish savages to playtest the original Necromunda. I can't find any firm date but I had the impression they were from the eighties.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Going for the top spot this month, I Oath The Lord of the Imperium!

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
For April I oath
Fenn, Mak, and Gideon from Fanfasy Flights Imperial Assault

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

I plan on oathing a terminator captain when it arrives in the mail with my paints, so in about a week or so, and I had a question about the theme

would "style" cover color scheme in this instance? I plan on doing primary colors, mostly blues and yellows with red and white details with green grass basing, but using more modern coloring techniques.

I think that'll do the trick. 80s style colour scheme is fine, with plenty of red and eye searing bright green bases gets the feel without restricting you to old techniques.

Speaking of which:

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for April 2014:

1 Giant
5 Meganobz
1 Tech Priest
1 Assassin
1 Inquisitor

All 28mm, Giant is Otherworld and the rest are GW.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

KingMob posted:

I, KingMob, Oath for April...

4 woman squad for Rogue Stars (Raging Heroes, 28mm)

Grey Hunter posted:

I grey, hunter, Oath, erm. A entire Division of British troops, plus a Corps HQ.

JackMack posted:

I, JackMack, Oath a Savage and a Gentleman Scavenger from EM4 miniatures (28mm) for the month of April

I have gone through my collection and feel these are from the oldest miniatures in my collection. A poster on Yaktribe stated that Andy Chambers used a mixture of Catachans and the EM4 Future Skirmish savages to playtest the original Necromunda. I can't find any firm date but I had the impression they were from the eighties.

Uroboros posted:

Going for the top spot this month, I Oath The Lord of the Imperium!

Dr. Phildo posted:

For April I oath
Fenn, Mak, and Gideon from Fanfasy Flights Imperial Assault

Zark the Damned posted:

I think that'll do the trick. 80s style colour scheme is fine, with plenty of red and eye searing bright green bases gets the feel without restricting you to old techniques.

Speaking of which:

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for April 2014:

1 Giant
5 Meganobz
1 Tech Priest
1 Assassin
1 Inquisitor

All 28mm, Giant is Otherworld and the rest are GW.

Approved!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

:siren: Announcing Monster May-hem 2: Electric Booglaloo Revenge of the Robots :siren:

As it seemed reasonably popular earlier this season, I'm going to be running another Monster May-hem at the start of Season 8. This time, the robots have had enough of the kaiju menace and are fighting back!

To enter, simply paint up either a giant city crushing monster or a massive anti-kaiju fighting machine and announce Monster May-hem! when you post your finished oath. By monster I mean something big and gribbly like a giant, hydra or dragon, something you'd see terrorising a village and tearing down the houses - while vampires and similar man-sized beasties may count as 'classical' monsters, they simply won't do here! I'm after stuff that is larger than ogre-sized. Fighting robots to be of a similar size - think the equivalent of a heavy warbeast/warjack/dreadnought as a minimum, though a gargantuan would be much better!

Note: these size guidelines apply in-scale, so something like an Epic-scale Titan is acceptable. Though in this case it'd be a good idea to show them alongside some regular minis so we can see just how big your monster is!

At the end of May I'll have a look through all the entrants and pick one at random to win a fabulous prize of an online voucher worth £10 or $10 for some kind of games store (last time both winners got Miniature Market vouchers but I can arrange other stores).

Additionally, if there are at least 15 entrants I'll throw in a second voucher.

:siren: Bonus objectives :siren:

You can increase your chances of winning with these bonus objectives!

* There's more than one! - if you paint more than one monster or robot you receive an extra entry in the prize draw. This could even be one of each!
* There goes the neighbourhood! - if you post a picture of your monster or robot terrorising the local populace, standing triumphantly over the smouldering remains of a tavern, facing a soon to be dead hunter, or similar, you receive an extra entry! In short, some sort of diorama featuring your monster(s). It may be an idea to combine this with the above and shoot an epic battle of monster versus machine!

Even if you have multiple entries you can still only win once - duplicate winners will be re-rolled if necessary..

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Is 'the first Wangs mini I bought' enough to count for 'oldest'?

I've got a whole mess of stuff way older, but not for systems I've any reason to paint for, and my time is super limited at the moment.

Alternatively, would an old style historical-inspired paint scheme suffice? Specifically, ww2 battleship dazzle camouflage?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The spirit of the challenge is more important than the letter - I think painting up one of your ships like a WW2 battleship is fine, or using old style techniques (like if you found a painting guide from the 90s and based a scheme on that).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
=) thanks

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Question, could I satisfy this month's challenge by using some of the oldest paints in my collection? I still have some of the paint pots from my very first GW starter kit years ago. I'd be willing to take pictures of the paints and post them with my oath, and all. :)

Not sure this is what I'd do, but it's an idea I had!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Zark the Damned posted:

Both of these looking good, but get your names on the pics if you want them to count!

:siren: 1 hour remaining! :siren:

Cropped, and added my name...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, Oath 10 Autocannon Marines and one kitbashed Master of Signals for April

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I, Ashcans, oath these 5 28mm Eldar miniatures (plus support weapon) for April

In the spirit of this month's jurnal, these figures were all originally produced for Rogue Trader, and go back as far as 1987 - three of them are actually from the period where the models all had individual names, rather than just being a specific troop/type. I'm planning on doubling down on the jurnal by giving them classic paint jobs as well. :toot:

Edit: I know the support weapon looks like it has some stuff on it - that's the remains of a previous paintjob that is particularly stubborn. It will be completely re-primed before painting, let me know if you need pictures of the post-prime model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I The Moon Monster oath a Tethru Master of Words (28mm) by Crocodile Games and a Orc Chaos Mage (28mm I guess) by WizKids

The Chaos Mage is a pre-painted mini from the old Mageknight minis game, so I was going to paint it for the theme challenge. I could have sworn I read that posting pre-painted minis in their out of the box state was acceptable for oathing, but now I can't actually find a rule addressing pre-painted mans anywhere in the OP. FWIW I'm planning on completely re-doing it, not just touching up the existing paint job.

• Locked thread