Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

vikingstrike posted:

Which makes it even better that he laid at mid court and cried.

Yeah that's why I thought it was in the Final Four or title game. I could understand losing your composure if the stakes are that high, but doing so in the Sweet 16? :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

C-Euro posted:

Yeah that's why I thought it was in the Final Four or title game. I could understand losing your composure if the stakes are that high, but doing so in the Sweet 16? :cmon:

They were up by 17 in the first half, and UCLA took the lead for the first time with less than 10 seconds left. Sure it's still ridiculous but it was a pretty bad way to go out.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If I remember right, it was also one of the first teams Few had that got a lot of national attention for their regular season run.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are there going to be homer feeds of the title game again?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are there going to be homer feeds of the title game again?

No, since it's on CBS and not cable.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I was unfortunately too caught up in moving yesterday to see much of the game, but I'm so incredibly happy for the Lady Gs and Dawn Staley. It's been a really fun ride to watch her build this program, and also to watch how fully the school/community has embraced it. Staley's an excellent ambassador of the university and overall an A+ human being -- definitely one of my favorite coaches who's ever been at USC. The fact that A'ja Wilson, a hometown girl, was MVP is just the cherry on top. Well deserved finish to the season for this team.

Oh, and virtually the entire roster returns next year. :getin:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

gvibes posted:

Patrick Ewing.
It is done.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
We'll see how it goes and maybe he'll be a monster recruiter but based on every story I've ever seen about him as an assistant there's a very good reason he hasn't gotten the NBA head coaching job he's wanted for so long.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Patrick Ewing: Head Coach will likely fail as badly as Clyde Drexler as a head coach but it's going to be a hell of a ride.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I feel like there is absolutely no way this works out, but who knows. I just don't see how Ewing is really that much of a draw, and I don't think he's going to be that good of a coach. He's going to have to be a fantastic recruiter, and then bank on getting really good assistants.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

MourningView posted:

We'll see how it goes and maybe he'll be a monster recruiter but based on every story I've ever seen about him as an assistant there's a very good reason he hasn't gotten the NBA head coaching job he's wanted for so long.

These are my thoughts exactly

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Kirios posted:

Patrick Ewing: Head Coach will likely fail as badly as Clyde Drexler as a head coach but it's going to be a hell of a ride.

Whew! I was really scared that they'd hire someone competent. Glad they hired Ewing. Don't need a resurging Georgetown program in the Big East.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Does he still stare at cheerleaders during timeouts instead of actually coaching?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How long until Ewing gets in trouble for "socializing" with the women students?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/848967112991178752

I don't know if he counts as a big name anymore but I wonder if they swung and missed on Tommy Amaker.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
LOL Dave Bliss got fired after being stupid enough to appear in that Showtime documentary
http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/showtime-baylor-scandal-dave-bliss-resigns.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Henchman of Santa posted:

LOL Dave Bliss got fired after being stupid enough to appear in that Showtime documentary
http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/showtime-baylor-scandal-dave-bliss-resigns.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

He didn't get fired - he resigned.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

all-Rush mixtape posted:

He didn't get fired - he resigned.

Fired and resigned in disgrace are only slightly different

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah it kinda sounds like a 'resign because you can't stop making GBS threads on a murder victim or we'll fire you' situation.

Which of course brings up the question why they would have hired him in the first place.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
news: lol

views: lol

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Thus concludes another terrible season.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Probably the worst tournament I've ever watched (except the one Indiana lost that I have erased from my childhood).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wicka posted:

Probably the worst tournament I've ever watched (except the one Indiana lost that I have erased from my childhood).

in my opinion, this was the only good NCAA Tournament in history

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Bracket championship woo

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

What a terrible game to end the season on.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
SO hopefully this isn't the part of the year where a bunch of USC dudes jump into the NBA draft and then go undrafted

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
College sports really is a loving farce and nights (seasons, decades) like this show they don't even have to pretend to keep up the facade.

Congrats on working the system, Roy, you po-faced airport-carpet-wearing faux-country jackass. Here's to the rest of a lifetime of no one with the right connections facing consequences of any kind for anything, ever.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
The women's tournament was very, very good this year

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Roy Did Nothing Wrong.

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

elentar posted:

Congrats on working the system, Roy, you po-faced airport-carpet-wearing faux-country jackass. Here's to the rest of a lifetime of no one with the right connections facing consequences of any kind for anything, ever.

lol

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Henchman of Santa posted:

8 or 9 years ago, he walked into an AAU practice at my local high school gym... and you could literally feel the sleaze dripping off him... 99 times out of a hundred I would introduce myself and shake his hand... but I just couldn't wait for him to leave

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

finally Bill Raftery's reign of terror comes to an end

or does he do nba too

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
These last two years are Roy's best coaching job, hands down. He is not getting big top 10 recruits anymore. The previous powerhouse teams were full of future first round NBA draft picks. These past two years, not so much, but we almost went back-to-back, and it was done with guys who stayed 3-4 years. Of course, Berry, Jackson, Pinson and Hicks were all 5* recruits, but only one of those guys is getting drafted and probably not in the lottery.

2004-2005:
Raymond Felton
Rashad McCants
Sean May
Marvin Williams

2008-2009:
Tyler Hansbrough
Ty Lawson
Wayne Ellington
Ed Davis
Tyler Zeller

2011-2012:
Kendall Marshall
Harrison Barnes
John Henson
PJ Hairston
Reggie Bullock
Tyler Zeller

2015-2017:
Brice Johnson
Justin Jackson (projected)
Tony Bradley (maybe)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Amazing what he is able to do with only six McDonald's All Americans on the roster.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I dunno, they still have several highly touted players, they just stick around, which I would argue is way better than having one and dones. This seems pretty in line with his other teams. Only Marvin Williams was a one and done on the '05 team and Ed Davis on the '09 team.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Slowpoke! posted:

These last two years are Roy's best coaching job, hands down. He is not getting big top 10 recruits anymore. The previous powerhouse teams were full of future first round NBA draft picks. These past two years, not so much, but we almost went back-to-back, and it was done with guys who stayed 3-4 years. Of course, Berry, Jackson, Pinson and Hicks were all 5* recruits, but only one of those guys is getting drafted and probably not in the lottery.

2004-2005:
Raymond Felton
Rashad McCants
Sean May
Marvin Williams

2008-2009:
Tyler Hansbrough
Ty Lawson
Wayne Ellington
Ed Davis
Tyler Zeller

2011-2012:
Kendall Marshall
Harrison Barnes
John Henson
PJ Hairston
Reggie Bullock
Tyler Zeller

2015-2017:
Brice Johnson
Justin Jackson (projected)
Tony Bradley (maybe)

Lmao proof that Roy Williams is an overrated coach.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
To be fair, most of those guys have fit into the great college player / average-to-poor pro catagory.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I just don't know how he does it. Guy like that given such a hard hand to play. Not to mention, UNC has to be one of the hardest places to recruit. Hell, they lack history and famous alums. Arena is pretty lovely, and they play in a bad conference where you never get national attention. But dad gummit with good guys like Roy out there, someone is always fighting the big guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

finally Bill Raftery's reign of terror comes to an end

or does he do nba too

Imagine being the sort of awful person who does not love Bill Raftery

Also re: Roy, he's still getting really highly rated recruits, he just does a lovely job featuring them early on so they wind up having to stay longer and hurting their stock. Jackson was a projected lottery pick out of high school but he looked like crap before this year. If I had lottery asperations I feel like he's one of the last guys I'd play for at this point.

It's crazy how warped a sense of recruiting fans of the top tier blue blood programs have. Ugh he's ONLY a top 15 prospect? How can we even compete with these scrubs? Gonna need a miracle out of ol' Roy.

Meanwhile Iowa signed two top 100 guys and I'm thrilled. We might as well play different sports.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 4, 2017

• Locked thread