Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

chumbler posted:

Bayonettapinion: I like her hairstyle in 2 more. The outfits are about even.

Also the moon river remix was great.

Doesn't everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/aicnanime/status/849021301259894784?s=09

:eyepoop:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Motto posted:

Two translators spent last season talking up Gabriel Dropout's translation, and the TL just dropped them a thanks. Pretty neat

https://twitter.com/BlackDragonHunt/status/849020793963118594

Feel good story.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Stexils posted:

lol the space dandy repeating day episode takes place on the 8th

ah, this explains my rap sheet

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is anyone giving Laughing Salesman a shot? I'm gonna take a look myself.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I watched it and I know Srice, parallax, and dav did too. It's pretty eh, though I might give it another ep.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first ep is mostly lame but because of the format and because I really liked what I watched of the original series I'm gonna see how the next few go.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Motto posted:

Two translators spent last season talking up Gabriel Dropout's translation, and the TL just dropped them a thanks. Pretty neat

https://twitter.com/BlackDragonHunt/status/849020793963118594

I love all translators, even the bad ones.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gabdrop's tl was very good

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Motto posted:

Gabdrop's tl was very good

Eh... there were at least a couple of glaringly bad choices. But I can't imagine it's easy to translate comedy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It isn't. It's maybe the shittest part of working on scripts.

Just sitting around staring at a screen thinking "how the gently caress would this ever work in english".

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Maybe an actual TL would love it, but ... nah. Just lemme english.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I love the effort that the gabdrop translator put into it, but there were some really weird overly-localized things. "Hit a homer, why don't you" comes to mind. Still, you could tell the translator cared, and it was certainly better than most comedy translations on crunchy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
They can't all be winners.

Really, most of the time if there's more than 50% winners then it's a great script.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
what about 50% weiners

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Naw, gotta be 60% weiners.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I love the effort that the gabdrop translator put into it, but there were some really weird overly-localized things. "Hit a homer, why don't you" comes to mind.

Also the frequent shoehorning of angel/devil related phrases that weren't in the original text.

The translator was obviously trying to make it a fun translation, but maybe they were trying a bit too hard?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd rather trying a bit too hard then mistranslations, typos, and outright gently caress-ups like 90% of crunchy translations. Not surprising when they get paid like 80 dollars an episode tho.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. I can see how some of the impositions on the original text could be seen as a bit rude at worst, but overall GabDro had a really nice translation and I'd love more like it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It isn't. It's maybe the shittest part of working on scripts.

Just sitting around staring at a screen thinking "how the gently caress would this ever work in english".

I got the feeling that past a certain point, the Nichijou translators (bless them) just gave up and said, "okay, well, here, just have an untranslatable pun, nothing we can do about it."

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

didn't know they published that kind of manga in SJ

They published Sai t Seiya so there's precedent

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sait seiya

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

The first ep is mostly lame but because of the format and because I really liked what I watched of the original series I'm gonna see how the next few go.

If nothing else maybe it will get people to check out the original. I haven't watched the new one yet though

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
A new fansub came out for the Kiniro Mosaic OVA the day before I go to watch it. Happy day!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Agronox posted:

I got the feeling that past a certain point, the Nichijou translators (bless them) just gave up and said, "okay, well, here, just have an untranslatable pun, nothing we can do about it."

4-koma and gag mangas are, from what I've been told, the absolute worst. They're a super fun read, but they require the crew to wrack their minds over the jokes and puns.

E: Actually I can edit with personal experience, working on a 4koma manga with a bad TL literally made me stop working on it. It was hell. I've never just stopped working on a series cold turkey like that before, and haven't since.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Say it, Seiya!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/Florina25252/status/848939797632745476

e: for context:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That was a good movie

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Saber Nero is a massive dork and also The Best.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

idol wars

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Reino, a book loving college student who just got her Librarian certification and was just hired to be the librarian of a large university library. Just before graduating and entering the job of her dreams, she was killed by a massive earthquake crushing her underneath a pile of her own books.

Wishing for reincarnation in order to read ever more, where she got reincarnated to was a world with a low literacy rate and very few books, limited only to the nobility of the world. As she reincarnated as the daughter of a lowly soldier, no matter how much she wants to read there is no way there are any books around. If there are no books then what do you do? Why, you make them yourself of course. What her goal is, to become the librarian of a library! In order to live a life surrounded by books, she starts with making books.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

chumbler posted:

Reino, a book loving college student who just got her Librarian certification and was just hired to be the librarian of a large university library. Just before graduating and entering the job of her dreams, she was killed by a massive earthquake crushing her underneath a pile of her own books.

Wishing for reincarnation in order to read ever more, where she got reincarnated to was a world with a low literacy rate and very few books, limited only to the nobility of the world. As she reincarnated as the daughter of a lowly soldier, no matter how much she wants to read there is no way there are any books around. If there are no books then what do you do? Why, you make them yourself of course. What her goal is, to become the librarian of a library! In order to live a life surrounded by books, she starts with making books.

i feel like this doesnt even need to be an isekai honestly

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

chumbler posted:

In order to live a life surrounded by books, she starts with making books.

She sounds bound and determined.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Stexils posted:

i feel like this doesnt even need to be an isekai honestly

Isekai Literally Phoenix Wright is still the best isekai I've seen. Something of a dubious honor, though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Which jrpg franchise are you playing through now Colonel

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GorfZaplen posted:

Which jrpg franchise are you playing through now Colonel

i got 12 hours into tales of xillia 2 but now i'm reading fate/stay night

before that though, i spent 90 hours playing tales of berseria

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of xillia, xillia 2, berseria, and fate/stay night are all really good, btw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've also been playing zelda but i'm gonna take a short break now that i've beaten link's awakening. i liked it a lot more than a link to the past

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1SUKzt3aCM

• Locked thread