Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

According to the list of most highly rated threads my posting career here is looking up uP UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i use discord for all game stuff

and slack for all business / yos / friend stuff

we totally moved away from facebook groups.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
irc doesnt have any kind of navigation mechanism so who even cares what's going on outside their preferred computer/sports/anime channel

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rear end posted:

Technology evolves. Discord is objectively better than IRC in every way.
make a list so we can laugh at it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

irc would be great if all of the clients weren't trash

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'd legit be sad to see sa go

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

:yossame:

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Gazpacho posted:

make a list so we can laugh at it

Discord has the wrong kind of RAM.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
maybe im old and i dont understand new things but to me discord is a 1-to-1 irc replacement and comparing it to a forum is like apples to oranges

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

same

i do have a question though

is migrating the forums to something else even necessary?

i get that everything is poorly coded and hacked together but its not like the community is growing and its not like things arent working now. i cant imagine people are thinking about joining and then saying wait that forum is poorly coded

is not having nice clean forums software preventing some forums saving magic that will turn sa into something profitable and growing that i cant understand or is this just looking around at the titanic pointing out what needs painting before it slips under the waves?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't read discussions that aren't presented chronologically and flat. SA's choice to limit quoting (by default) to a single level was inspired. The Reddit/Twitter style of repeatedly indenting replies to deeper and deeper levels feels like a "great idea" invented by some idiotic programmer who's read more code than English

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its a Linux thing. see also: mailing lists.

now is it the Linux/mailing lists causing the brain damage that leads to liking the Linux/bad threading or is there pre-existing brain damage that makes people susceptible to the Linux/bad threading?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Sagebrush posted:

The Reddit/Twitter style of repeatedly indenting replies to deeper and deeper levels feels like a "great idea" invented by some idiotic programmer who's read more code than English

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

irc would be great if all of the clients weren't trash

ircle was good

pram
Jun 10, 2001
tumblrs nested comments are insanely bad. it doesnt work on the default layout, and it definitely doesnt work on whatever infantile theme the moronic blog youre reading is using

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

LastInLine posted:

same

i get that everything is poorly coded and hacked together but its not like the community is growing and its not like things arent working now. i cant imagine people are thinking about joining and then saying wait that forum is poorly coded

is not having nice clean forums software preventing some forums saving magic that will turn sa into something profitable and growing that i cant understand or is this just looking around at the titanic pointing out what needs painting before it slips under the waves?

the problem isn't people coming to the forums and thinking "hey i'm not paying $10 for this, it's badly coded!" it's that the forums are held together with spit and string and any time there's a problem it costs lowtax thousands of dollars to fix because someone has to wade through the byzantine nightmare to even work out what the problem is. just because it's working right now doesn't mean its going to stay working forever, and as things stand it probably wouldn't take much before lowtax either can't afford to fix it, or just says "gently caress it" and shuts things down.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fair enough ill admit to not knowing what it takes to keep the lights on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the only important parts of the forum imo are the reg fee, the probation/ban system, the smilies, and the goldmine.

no one reads archives and the rap sheet is cute but pointless -- it's not like mods have to prove precedent to ban or whatever. dump them and everything else not mentioned above and forget about it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the lepers colony would have been fine if people could actually see why someone was probated, instead of it being a pile of monkeycheese crap because "lol i posted a bunch of pictures i'm so wacky and random"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tumblr seems insanely slow and bloated on any browser on any system I've used

Discord is definitely better for chat than IRC but no :filez: support so IRC maintains that usecase at least

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sweevo posted:

the lepers colony would have been fine if people could actually see why someone was probated, instead of it being a pile of monkeycheese crap because "lol i posted a bunch of pictures i'm so wacky and random"

Just click the post!

It occurred to me today that SA is probably the best place to talk to bona fide crazy people outside of NAMI discussion pages or something

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
how many genuinely new posters do you think SA gets a year?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
It doesn't matter, Dare will keep this place running.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

vodkat posted:

how many genuinely new posters do you think SA gets a year?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
the lets play forum will keep a steady stream of new posters coming here from youtube

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Fabricated posted:

Tumblr seems insanely slow and bloated on any browser on any system I've used

Discord is definitely better for chat than IRC but no :filez: support so IRC maintains that usecase at least

filez up to 8mb supported, 50 if you pay

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

LastInLine posted:

same

the forums in general are unnecessary, it's just a question of how long they will be around if nobody can bear to look at the code for more than 6 months

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i'll start the yospos emergency offsite. how hard is mediawiki to install?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the last bells & whistles improvement to IRC I saw was yahoo chat and that was enough to convince me that irc doesn/t need improvement

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the only important parts of the forum imo are the reg fee, the probation/ban system, the smilies, and the goldmine.

no one reads archives and the rap sheet is cute but pointless -- it's not like mods have to prove precedent to ban or whatever. dump them and everything else not mentioned above and forget about it.

says the guy with 36 entries

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hows kickparper coming

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

says the guy with 36 entries

lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I bet the games forum makes some decent money, it's still the best game forum on the internet

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I bet the games forum makes some decent money, it's still the best game forum on the internet

yospos is the best computer forum on the internet for sure

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

yospos exceptionalism

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Linguica posted:

yospos exceptionalism

destiny.manifest

OldAlias