Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Not the black, but the hardcore silver yes. This stuff isn't even silver, it's like painting with mercury.

Ok holy poo poo

Can that stuff be harvested for brush use? Have you tested its ability to hold a varnish, or is this purely for a final coat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

It can be harvested! They sell refill bottles for 3 times the price of the pens, :psyduck: or since it's a pump pen, I'm sure you could just pump some out onto a pallet.

I haven't been able to mess with it much since I'm at work. Once I get home I'll play with it a bit and post results. I don't expect it to be able to hold onto anything very well, as it seems very very smooth in order to be as reflective as it is. It also goes on rather thick so I'm not sure how it will handle details. The alcohol could evaporate enough to let the details show, or it could just dry like unthinned paint.

Also, this stuff will absolutely need some kind of sealant/lacquer. Probably something thick like stuff for fingernails, because the oils on your fingers will dull the effect a lot quicker than the paints it's on.

It seems fragile, but if there is a good way to protect it, you can basically chrome out anything very easily.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 31, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

dexefiend posted:

Thanks for this post. Does anyone have some favorite greens? ... I might have ordered a Age of Sigmar Sylvaneth army (Treemen! :black101:)

I thought the same thing when I went through that list a while back.

If you want bright, vibrant greens - I finally found P3 Iosan Green and Necrotite Green.

Really good stick, can go through an airbrush with flow improver, and good opacity.

Sorry for the phone pic, but I used that combo + some white for this test model

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
There's also a bunch of extra colours I'd add to that chart now.

But thanks for making it, it's one of the factors that led to me experimenting with more brands. :)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

BULBASAUR posted:

I would add Vallejo Transparent Yellow (Citadel Casandora Yellow) as a wash. Those are really good for saturating and lightly shading yellows.

Added. If you or anyone else have more paints you really like, let me know and I'll add them.

Yeast posted:

But thanks for making it, it's one of the factors that led to me experimenting with more brands. :)

You're welcome! That's one of the main reasons I made the list. :angel:

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Avenging Dentist posted:

Below is a list of the best-loved paints from any range. This list is compiled from posts both here and on other forums (mainly CMON), plus a few recommendations from various painting videos. I broke it up by fairly-arbitrarily putting each one into a basic color, and within each color, they're sorted roughly from light to dark. A :h: indicates paints that lots of people love. If there are paints people think I missed, let me know (in the thread or via PM) and I'll add them.

Whites/Greys/Blacks
P3 Morrow White (93073): Pure white; very good coverage
:h: VMC Ivory (70.918): Non-chalky almost-white
:h: VMC Deck Tan (70.986): Good for highlights and mixing
Reaper Linen White (9061)
Reaper Ghost White (9063)
Reaper Snow Shadow (9021)
VMC Neutral Grey (70.992)
VMC German Grey (70.995): Near-black
Reaper Noir Black (9289): Near-black
P3 Thamar Black (93072): Pure black

Browns
VMC Pale Sand (70.837): Useful for skin highlights, eyes, teeth
VMC Iraqui [sic] Sand (70.819)
P3 Rucksack Tan (93062)
VMC Brown Sand (70.876)
VMA Armor Brown (71.041)
P3 Bloodstone (93029)
Reaper Woodstain Brown (9160)
Reaper Walnut Brown (9136)
:h: VMC German Camo Black-Brown (70.822): Very dark neutral brown, good for shading
VMC Hull Red (70.985)
Reaper Brown Liner (9064)

Reds
VMC Carmine Red (70.908): Bright, warm red
VMC Red #33 (70.926): Fairly bright, cool red (just a bit darker than VMC Carmine Red)
VMA Ferrari Red (71.085)
Reaper Old West Rose (9283): Good mixer for shading skin
VGA Bloody Red (72.710)
Reaper Bloodstain Red (9133)
VMC Black Red (70.859)

Oranges
Reaper Amber Gold (9032)
P3 Ember Orange (93023): Good for shading sand

Yellows
Reaper Golden Blonde (9033)
P3 Cygnus Yellow (93025): Non-chalky bright yellow

Greens
VGC Scurvy Green (72.027)

Cyans
Reaper Marine Teal (9077)
Reaper Surf Aqua (9078)
Reaper Seafoam Blue (9195)
:h: P3 Coal Black (93046)
Citadel Incubi Darkness

Blues
VMC Dark Prussian Blue (70.899)

Purples
Reaper Violet Red (9026)
Reaper Pale Violet (9027)
VMC Violet Red (70.812)
VMC Blue Violet (70.811)

Flesh Tones
Reaper Tanned Skin Triad (9043-5)
Reaper Dark Elf Triad (9163-5)

Metallics
:h: VMA Silvers (71.062-5)
Reaper True Silver (9207)
Reaper Aged Pewter (9196)
P3 Pig Iron (93074)
Vallejo Metal Color (77.xxx): Water-based metallics generally considered among the best Vallejo metallics
:h: Scale75 Metal & Alchemy (SSE-009, SSE-010, SSE-021): Much finer mica flakes (the shiny stuff) than other brands

Washes/Transparent
VMC Transparent Yellow (70.937): Good for saturating yellows
Citadel Casandora Yellow: Good for saturating yellows
:h: Tamiya Clear Red (X-27): Great for blood effects
Citadel Drankenhof Nightshade: Good for shading bluish whites
Citadel Agrax Earthshade: Good dark-brown wash
Scale75 Inktense Chestnut: A less glossy version of GW's old Chestnut ink
Army Painter Strong Tone Ink: Good dark-brown wash (very close to Agrax Earthshade)
Army Painter Dark Tone Ink: Good black wash
:h: VMC Smoke (70.939)
:h: P3 Armor Wash (93012): Bluish-black wash

This is great info, should go in the OP.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

ZachAttack posted:

This is great info, should go in the OP.

It's actually linked from the OP, but well... the OP is very long, so it's not surprising that people miss it. (It's under the "Buying Goon-Selected Individual Paints" section.)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Going to oath this sexy guy tomorrow. Do you think I should match the rubble color to the base or go with something else?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I did a thing

NTRabbit posted:

:pirate: Oath complete! :pirate:

Claiming the challenge for my custom sscratchbuilt Ogre Army Standard Bearer on Chariot for Kings of War, made from all the different bits in the OP

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Anyone have any experience with something like this glue applicator?

http://www.creativedynamicllc.com/the-glue-looper.html

Looks cool, I dunno how useful it would be for general minis use, but I could see it being good. I'm tempted to buy some and try em out.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Anyone have any experience with something like this glue applicator?

http://www.creativedynamicllc.com/the-glue-looper.html

Looks cool, I dunno how useful it would be for general minis use, but I could see it being good. I'm tempted to buy some and try em out.

You can use a sewing needle stabbed into a pencil for the same effect.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

So here's what the army essentially looks like painted, minus the kroot.

I'm trying to customize the kroot to look more urban assault-y, rather than purely tribal. I'm approaching it like orks kinda. Like, they emulate the tau by tying non-functional markerlights to their guns, salvaging their armor, and just generally trying to fight and look like them.

Dude in the back just strapped a bunch of grenades to himself because he's the excitable hypeman of the group. Eventually I want to make him a crude Tau sept flag for his back or something.

After building them, the little bastards grew on me. :3: I look at them like an only slightly smarter version of the orks. Full of piss and vinegar, but loyal like horses, unlike orks.

Not sure on the paint scheme. I want their markings to be the fenrisian grey highlight on the suits, but what about their skin? The tan color of the suit accents? Maybe a real dark blue? I want them to stand out, but also be coherent to the general theme.

What do you guys think?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I'm trying to customize the kroot to look more urban assault-y, rather than purely tribal.

Brilliant. I love people taking things in different directions than the base kit like this. And the flavor you've come up with that they're emulating their tau partners is perfect and kinda funny too.

The kroot with the tau shield on his shoulder is :3:

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Not sure on the paint scheme. I want their markings to be the fenrisian grey highlight on the suits, but what about their skin? The tan color of the suit accents? Maybe a real dark blue? I want them to stand out, but also be coherent to the general theme.

I think the kroot should have a different skin color than tau suit color. They're kroot, they're not tau, they should stand out. But make the actual armor look exactly like the tau suit color, so its clear they've been scavenging from fighting together with whatever color dudes your tau are. Dark blue or green sounds good to me, maaaybe purple. Blue would work best with tan armor if you're doing the default tau look... but you're doing like a grey/blue thing. So I would consider like a green or purple to contrast the black.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 3, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

:yayclod: thanks! I totally agree about the armor thing. I was gonna put it upside down for extra :kimchi: but I decided they were smarter than that.

Except for :byodood: in the background.

Maybe macragge blue skin, longbeard grey beaks?

Fake edit: I think I'm going to look at parrots for inspiration. :parrot:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Armor the same color, but at least 20% dirtier and scratched up.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Thanks for the tips and ideas guys! Ooh maybe I will give one of Mig's chipping techniques a shot. Is there a resource for kroot markings? I don't have my codex with me to check in there.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This seems like such an old man thing to share, but... I found a really great deal on Loctite gel super glue on Amazon. I think the seller misstyped the price:
http://a.co/6EJFqrJ

10 pack of 4gram bottles is $7.78 with free shipping. That's a hell of a deal when you consider one of them usually runs about $5.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BULBASAUR posted:

This seems like such an old man thing to share, but... I found a really great deal on Loctite gel super glue on Amazon. I think the seller misstyped the price:
http://a.co/6EJFqrJ

10 pack of 4gram bottles is $7.78 with free shipping. That's a hell of a deal when you consider one of them usually runs about $5.

Its dumb but.. awesome? Considering the 6-pack is more expensive, that's definitely some kind of pricing error. That or they just have toooooons of stock of that 10-pack to get rid of?

Those are my favorite superglue bottles, they're the easiest to use without getting glue all over my fingers like I do with most of the lovely bottles, so I went ahead and ordered one myself. :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like those too, but something I discovered- they aren't empty when you cant "squeeze" the container anymore. Because of the design the tube inside is still about 1/3 full. Remove the container and squeeze it with your fingers so you aren't throwing away good glue!

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I just got some battlefield in a box terrain and it came with some flock to add grass around as I see fit. I've never messed with this before and wanted to make sure I know how to do it. The easiest way is just to mix some pva glue with water, then sprinkle the flock over spots that I brush that mixture on, right?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't usually thin the pva

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finally finished up my Stormcast duders!

It's amazing how much difference a new paint scheme and some headswaps can make. I actually like the idea of big goofy fantasy armor quite a bit, I just thought the designs were really boring. After seeing some other people's tries at them, I realized exactly what bothered me about them, and so I fixed them appropriately.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JackMann posted:

It's amazing how much difference a new paint scheme and some headswaps can make. I actually like the idea of big goofy fantasy armor quite a bit, I just thought the designs were really boring. After seeing some other people's tries at them, I realized exactly what bothered me about them, and so I fixed them appropriately.
Your post just serves to reinforce my opinion that these models look way better when painted in a "normal" steel armor color. The GW "Solid Gold" scheme is absolute garbage.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

Your post just serves to reinforce my opinion that these models look way better when painted in a "normal" steel armor color. The GW "Solid Gold" scheme is absolute garbage.

It's actually just anodized aluminum

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nice blending on that cape! I can't do that poo poo.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Sorry but solid gold is amazing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Sorry but solid gold is amazing.
I have to assume you are referring to the Solid Gold Dancers and not solid gold Sigmarines?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JackMann posted:

Finally finished up my Stormcast duders!

I hope your Footmen die well defending Azeroth from the Orc horde. (they look good though, that scheme and those headswaps are both improvements over the golden megababies)

DO IT TO IT posted:

I just got some battlefield in a box terrain and it came with some flock to add grass around as I see fit. I've never messed with this before and wanted to make sure I know how to do it. The easiest way is just to mix some pva glue with water, then sprinkle the flock over spots that I brush that mixture on, right?
Yeah, that'll be good. Blow on the grass afterwards to make sure the excess is gone and it stands up. I always water down PVA glue since it can be kinda goopy and hard to manipulate.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Double posting because I have models to post. Finished up an assault squad for my Black Templars a few days ago and only just got around to taking pictures:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Double posting because I have models to post. Finished up an assault squad for my Black Templars a few days ago and only just got around to taking pictures:

Cool and good to post right after paintin' bro's cool poo poo.

I wish I could take a goddamn decent pic, because I think Exulon Thexus here looks pretty dope in person.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Let's keep this train rolling, I finally picked up my drat brushes again after a few months off and cranked out some guild ball models (Wrecker, Veteran Harmony, and Granite from the Masons).

e: bases not final, still need a drybrush and turf, just didn't have my grass with me.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

stabbington posted:

Let's keep this train rolling, I finally picked up my drat brushes again after a few months off and cranked out some guild ball models (Wrecker, Veteran Harmony, and Granite from the Masons).

e: bases not final, still need a drybrush and turf, just didn't have my grass with me.

Those are the cleanest eyes I've ever seen on a mini

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Pure luck, I assure you.

e: on a less snarky note, process is the same as you hear everywhere, basecoat the face, black out the eyeballs, paint a bit of off-white (VMC Ivory in this case) leaving a little bit of black around the rims if you can, dot pupils. Just need a sharp brush, I did that using a Raphael 8404 #0, which is the brush I use for most super fine detail stuff. Other than that, it's a matter of steady hands and having the chill to not immediately panic when you gently caress up, because (as in the case of Harmony up there), sometimes it turns out that your mistake looks better than what you were trying to do.

stabbington fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 4, 2017

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

DO IT TO IT posted:

Following up on this: What SRM said, except I alternate between blowing on the grass or turning the mini over and tapping the base to get the grass to stand up. Whichever method works best for you.

Also, Doctor Faust has a method I've been wanting to try out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvq3HdaUi54

e.: JackMann, those guys look pretty nice! Did you say what the headswaps you used were? They look like some of the Frostgrave soldier heads from Northstar. (pretend I'm too lazy to read further upthread)

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 4, 2017

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna give it a shot tonight, just need to pick up some pva glue first.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dr. Gargunza posted:

e.: JackMann, those guys look pretty nice! Did you say what the headswaps you used were? They look like some of the Frostgrave soldier heads from Northstar. (pretend I'm too lazy to read further upthread)

Blondie was from the Space Wolves pack. The other heads were chopped off of Reaper Bones minis.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Following up on this: What SRM said, except I alternate between blowing on the grass or turning the mini over and tapping the base to get the grass to stand up. Whichever method works best for you.

Yeah, I do both on everybody. Tap the grass back into the tub so I don't waste much, then blow on it to get rid of any excess and make the rest stand up.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

This is how I'm going to paint my kroot.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This is how I'm going to paint my kroot.

Shading in the feathers is really well done but I think you should go back over with a brighter pink for contrast.

Is that a pionus?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Still working on my dry brushing technique, and man, was this model a pain in the rear end to base coat. Every time I sprayed my airbrush, it would flap all over the place, which means I had to keep gluing it back on the base. :argh: :birddrugs:

I'm about to just strip it and start over.

it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Does anyone recall those Basius basing pad stamp things that got kickstarted a few times? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2023606288/basius-25-the-tabletop-wargames-base-stamp-system
I am trying to find anywhere that sells them based out of the US, but the best I could find is one ebay auction a while back for a pad I didn't really want. I am trying to find the forest themed ones, but no where seems to sell these and it looks like there was Kickstarter drama so there probably won't be any future places to get these from.