Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My suspicion is that there's going to be some really excessively-costed flashback spell running around (probably with some massive obliterate or plague wind style effect), and they wanted to avoid having a deck around dark-dwellers cheating it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Jabor posted:

My suspicion is that there's going to be some really excessively-costed flashback spell running around (probably with some massive obliterate or plague wind style effect), and they wanted to avoid having a deck around dark-dwellers cheating it out.

I hope we get a ten plagues card that works like the Confluences, except it's "choose ten".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also I just around to actually reading the mechanics article and I just have to say, "whenever you cycle or discard a card" is profoundly stupid wording.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Lone Goat posted:

Go to the prerelease or FNM and ask ten strangers how it worked, see how many get it right

LOL how many of those people played modern?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
No, that templating is actually good. It makes the cards less narrow than if they only mentioned cycling and more intuitive to new players than if they only said discard.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

uPen posted:

It's a stupid, counter intuitive interaction and it being removed from the game is a good thing.

Sounds like you got owned by it a few too many times son.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Gonna need people to start listing their opinions re: Gifts Ungiven

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I only have the Kamigawa one and it's basically not in my cube for that reason. (trying to keep my cube relatively newb friendly)

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

These people probably think it needs to force you to take all 4 cards to be chosen so you cant do the unburial rights shenanigans by just choosing two so they both end up in the yard.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

whydirt posted:

No, that templating is actually good. It makes the cards less narrow than if they only mentioned cycling and more intuitive to new players than if they only said discard.

Putting rules text on a card that does literally nothing is bad for new players, because it sets up false expectations.

If they wanted to explicitly call out cycling so that new players would see the combo, it should have been in reminder text.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Jabor posted:

Putting rules text on a card that does literally nothing is bad for new players, because it sets up false expectations.

If they wanted to explicitly call out cycling so that new players would see the combo, it should have been in reminder text.

What false expectations does this wording create?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

whydirt posted:

What false expectations does this wording create?

It creates the expectation that other discards-matter cards (that don't call out cycling) don't trigger when you cycle a card. Otherwise why would this particular card need to call it out separately?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

The updated wording is good. There's no need to have a "correct" logically deducible wording that doesn't really represent anything more than being familiar with the interaction instead of a more intuitive wording. Some people will think the former is a gotcha, some will think it makes them clever masterminds. Only the ~clever masterminds~ side is insufferable.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

The updated wording is good. There's no need to have a "correct" logically deducible wording that doesn't really represent anything more than being familiar with the interaction instead of a more intuitive wording. Some people will think the former is a gotcha, some will think it makes them clever masterminds. Only the ~clever masterminds~ side is insufferable.

liking weird interactions makes you an insufferable ~mastermind~, ok

cool

like if the change were done in a way that didn't kill this wacky sax deck I wouldn't give a poo poo

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jabor posted:

It creates the expectation that other discards-matter cards (that don't call out cycling) don't trigger when you cycle a card. Otherwise why would this particular card need to call it out separately?

Solution

Whenever you discard a card (cycling discards a card),

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

dragon enthusiast posted:

Solution

Whenever you discard a card (cycling discards a card),

Exactly. Would have been much better.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Gifts Ungiven is a good example of a case where they simply added some helpful clarity with the updated wording and didn't break any previously existing interactions or insult anyone's intelligence too much.

Jabor posted:

Exactly. Would have been much better.

I mean, there's already reminder text to clue you in that cycling is discarding. It just happens to be the cycling reminder text.

I don't really think asking people to correlate a key word on two separate cards is asking for the moon on a plate, cognitively speaking

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 4, 2017

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
The Tar Heels won, once again proving that blue is the best color.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

Jabor posted:

The only tricky bit was being able to check one half of the card to see if you were allowed to cast it for free, and then actually casting the other half/both. Pretty much everything else around split cards was completely logical and straightforward if you just thought about them as two separate cards stuck together, which is a really easy mental model to grasp.

This guy gets it. :cheers:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
The amount of times moderately experienced magic players don't fully comprehend Blast from the Past in my cube leads me to the more explicit side even though it was odd to see at first.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

cool

like if the change were done in a way that didn't kill this wacky sax deck I wouldn't give a poo poo

Technical writing is a cool and good field, imo.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

cool

Pretty much, the deck wasn't that good it was just fun and a neat interaction in the game with a poo poo-ton of weird interactions. Somebody got salty about getting emrakul dropped on them second turn via Kari Zhev's Expertise off Simian Spirit Guide (which probably needs a ban) and Breaking//Entering I bet even though same thing can happen with Goryo's Vengeance.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Stop arguing and look at this cat.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i wanna pet that cat

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
How are the tokens being printed? Is it going to be random and awful like checklist cards, or only 1 embalm card per booster so you always get the token?

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

uPen posted:

How are the tokens being printed? Is it going to be random and awful like checklist cards, or only 1 embalm card per booster so you always get the token?

This is WotC we're talking about here, it's going to be the first one.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

uPen posted:

Probably going to be distributed like regular tokens, completely at random. That's why they have the punch card thing, because this set has a billion things to track.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Either that Grixis Shadow deck is absolute garbage or I'm playing it incorrectly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

its me glenda posted:

i wanna pet that cat

I want to pet the zombie one as much as the real one

E: More, actually

Elyv fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 4, 2017

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
Prowling Serpopard shouldn't be Creature - Cat Snake it should be Creature - Ferret

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

I want to pet the zombie one as much as the real one

E: More, actually

That the mummified cat would have the same physical dexterity and thus same stats as the living counterpart is straining believability. Massive flavor fail, Wizards, smh.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

Stop arguing and look at this cat.

good target for googly eyes

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The change to split cards is dumb and bad and the people who disagree are dumb and wrong and bad, argument over everyone can go to bed or back to playing P5 or whatever the heck.

e: Mummy Cat is cute.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 4, 2017

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

Dungeon Ecology posted:

good target for googly eyes

Mister Mummtato Kitty

The Shortest Path posted:

The change to split cards is dumb and bad and the people who disagree are dumb and wrong and bad, argument over everyone can go to bed or back to playing P5 or whatever the heck.

:agreed: :cheers:

AbbadonOfHell fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 4, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

JerryLee posted:

I don't really think asking people to correlate a key word on two separate cards is asking for the moon on a plate, cognitively speaking

Also, one of the fun things about a set is the "aha!" moments you get when you realize that two things work well together, even if it's so obvious that literally everyone figures it out almost immediately. Spelling them out explicitly doesn't make the game easier to play, it just takes away a fun bit of discovery for no real reason.

Basically what I'm saying is, Wizards please don't do this:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It also leaves open the possibility of printing effects such as "When a card is cycled, its owner shuffles it into their library instead of discarding it" without hosing the synergy, not that that's particularly likely.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Also, one of the fun things about a set is the "aha!" moments you get when you realize that two things work well together, even if it's so obvious that literally everyone figures it out almost immediately. Spelling them out explicitly doesn't make the game easier to play, it just takes away a fun bit of discovery for no real reason.

Basically what I'm saying is, Wizards please don't do this:

Foul Emissary not working when sacrificed to other stuff like Eldritch Evolution was the most recent and dumbest example of this, just ahead of that land from BFZ block that only provided colored mana to spells with Devoid rather than all colorless spells.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

beergod posted:

Either that Grixis Shadow deck is absolute garbage or I'm playing it incorrectly.

Well the deck is pretty good, so

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

beergod posted:

I'm sure it's the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
gently caress has anyone posted a guide or streamed it

• Locked thread