Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gerblyn posted:

- Should I cover the pan at step 4?
- I read somewhere that a Paella has a layer of half burnt meat at the bottom that you're not supposed to eat. I'm guessing from your description though that the Soccarat is meant to be eaten?
I had a longer version wrote up but I must have deleted it from gmail...

Never cover the paella. If you are not going to eat it right away, you can put foil over it while it sits at the table. If you are using a charcoal grill with a cover, you can close the lid of the grill. Have some woodchips on the coals it really adds some depth to it.

The soccarat is a burnt-ish layer of rice, not meat. It's the best part... when you eat paella, put it in the middle table and everyone eats out of their 'slice', don't plate it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna try it tomorrow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I always think I want to give Paella a try and just go back and make jambalaya instead.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

I always think I want to give Paella a try and just go back and make jambalaya instead.

I have a feeling that what I normally make as Paella is some kind of bastard offspring of Jambalaya and Paella, so I'm curious to see what happens if I make it the proper way.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Do you guys have preferred recipe sites. a lot of the ones i find just by google are kind of overwhelming and have a lot to sift through.

I really like budget bytes but ive done quite a few of her recipes and need more, any suggestions?

Second Serious Eats as a starting point. Kitchn and Food 52 are also huge sites with tons of recipes, but of the ones that I cook most often at home, probably 2/3 come from one of those three sites. I also like Özlem's Turkish Table for Turkish food (http://ozlemsturkishtable.com/) and Chubby Vegetarian (http://chubbyvegetarian.blogspot.com/) for food that is only incidentally vegetarian - they're from my hometown of Memphis, which is a tough audience for non-meat foods. Culinary Backstreets (http://culinarybackstreets.com/) isn't a recipe site, per se, but it's a fascinating look at food culture and restaurants in various cities around the world. It started out as restaurant reviews in Istanbul and has expanded.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bob Morales posted:

The soccarat is a burnt-ish layer of rice, not meat. It's the best part... when you eat paella, put it in the middle table and everyone eats out of their 'slice', don't plate it up.

If you like that you should try tadig.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Korean nurungji is also pretty much the same thing and is also great

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Grand Fromage posted:

I usually make soups in advance since they always taste better (does anyone know why that is, by the way?)

quote:

Well, foods that do improve have an important commonality; they include a multitude of ingredients each one with distinct aromatic properties - such as onion, garlic, peppers, herbs. Basically, these are anything that adds flavor to a dish. During the cooking process, there are a certain number of reactions that take place concurrently in a very complex setting. Aromatic ingredients tend to undergo a larger number of reactions that produce flavor and aroma compounds which in turn react with the proteins and the starches. In general, as the food cools and is left to sit in the fridge, and then re-heated, some of these reactions continue to take place resulting in improved flavor. For example, a plain omelet refrigerated and then reheated will likely taste no different from a fresh plain omelet, but, an omelet cooked with onions, garlic, pepper and broccoli will have a distinctly different and more flavorful taste.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2011/11/23/the-science-of-leftovers-why-they-taste-so-good/#1f9576df7d27

quote:

That's especially true if a dish has lots of spices and strong-flavored elements such as garlic, onion, ginger or lemon grass — plus some fat. Day One, those strong-flavored components tend to stick out a bit too much. But Day Two, they mellow and meld, making the dish they're served in rounder and more pleasantly flavored.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-04-17/features/sc-food-0412-better-later-20130417_1_dish-lamb-flavor

quote:

According to Cook's Illustrated's food scientist, Guy Crosby, there are measurable changes in sweetness as complex carbohydrates (such as fructose from vegetables or lactose from dairy) and starches break down into sweeter-tasting simple sugars. Just as resting cookie dough, bread dough, or pizza dough overnight allows large proteins to break down into smaller chains, the same things happen in stews and soups.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/02/science-of-stew-does-stew-get-better-with-age.html

http://www.thekitchn.com/make-your-soups-ahead-they-just-taste-better-the-next-day-tips-from-the-kitchn-215472

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Bought a couple trays of sea urchin on impulse, anyone have a good pasta recipe I could use it in? Small tongues from the Atlantic.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Goons, I would appreciate your help!

My local Safeway is doing the monopoly thing again, and out of sheer stubbornness I've been going through my tickets; the odds suck, but I figure the contest organizers are planning on people tossing their tickets so they can pocket the prizes and I'll be damned if I play along. But anyways, I got an instant winner for 32 ounces of half and half. Unfortunately, I have no recipes that use it; I don't drink coffee and I try to focus on healthy food (though I'm willing to make an exception here because, hey, free stuff). So, anyone have any recommendations that use a lot of half and half? I don't necessarily need complete recipes, just recommendations for something that would use it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Bremen posted:

My local Safeway is doing the monopoly thing again, and out of sheer stubbornness I've been going through my tickets; the odds suck, but I figure the contest organizers are planning on people tossing their tickets so they can pocket the prizes and I'll be damned if I play along. But anyways, I got an instant winner for 32 ounces of half and half. Unfortunately, I have no recipes that use it; I don't drink coffee and I try to focus on healthy food (though I'm willing to make an exception here because, hey, free stuff). So, anyone have any recommendations that use a lot of half and half? I don't necessarily need complete recipes, just recommendations for something that would use it.

You could make Creme Anglais to go with a dessert, or to use as a base for ice cream. You can also use it to make Pastry Cream, which is one of the components for a French style fruit tart.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oyster stew imo

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bremen posted:

Quiches, mac & cheese, chicken & dumpling stew.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I use half and half in my french toast. Basically Alton Brown's recipe.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Ice cream might be beyond my capabilities to make, but deserts and tarts are a good place to start.

Mac and cheese that doesn't come in a blue cardboard box? Sacrilege! j/k, I'll look into that.

The rest all sounds worth looking into. Thanks for all the recommendations, with 32 ounces I'll probably be trying to make a bunch of stuff before it goes bad.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Oyster stew imo

And/or potato leek soup.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just made my first foray into candy making today. I was trying for the English Toffee recipe out of Joy of Cooking, and either I didn't wash my pan enough with my pastry brush in warm water, or didn't use enough cream of tartar or something, but my sugar ended up crystallized and I am super disappointed. It's still sugar and cream and butter and chocolate and nuts, so it's edible, but it's not great. Any candy experts? If I'm gonna stir molten sugar for eons, I'd like it to come out great.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Shovelmint posted:

I just made my first foray into candy making today. I was trying for the English Toffee recipe out of Joy of Cooking, and either I didn't wash my pan enough with my pastry brush in warm water, or didn't use enough cream of tartar or something, but my sugar ended up crystallized and I am super disappointed. It's still sugar and cream and butter and chocolate and nuts, so it's edible, but it's not great. Any candy experts? If I'm gonna stir molten sugar for eons, I'd like it to come out great.

The recipe doesn't use corn syrup right? Corn syrup is often added to candy recipes to minimize the chance of crystallization.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Eeyo posted:

The recipe doesn't use corn syrup right? Corn syrup is often added to candy recipes to minimize the chance of crystallization.

Yeah just add ⅓ cup corn syrup per cup of sugar and you'll be fine. I assume the cream of tartar is there to invert the sugar and help prevent that but just use corn syrup instead.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I bought some teff flour that I'd like to make injera with. Anyone have any advice or recipes?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Once the sugar starts to boil and caramelize don't stir it. The action of the boiling will be enough movement.
I like to use a blow torch to melt the crystals off the side of the pan rather than a brush and water. The water always drips into the cooking sugar and cools it slightly.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Looking for some restaurant recommendations. I have an upcoming vacation Memorial Day week. I'll be spending Saturday with kin in the Winston-Salem area of North Carolina. After that I'm heading south, current thoughts are Charleston and then Savannah. Never been to Charleston. Last time I was in Savannah, I stayed at the Mansion on Forsythe Park, and ate one night at the restaurant next door (and had probably the best piece of fish I've ever eaten), and the other night at Paula Deen's restaurant which was a huge disappointment. I mean, the chicken pot pie I ended up with was tasty, but I was jonesing so hard for chicken fried steak. How the hell can I go into Paula Deen's restaurant and they don't have chicken fried steak!?!?

Looking for ideas as to where to eat in both cities, TIA.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Planet X posted:

I bought some teff flour that I'd like to make injera with. Anyone have any advice or recipes?
If you have sourdough starter, just mix the teff with some starter (and water) and, if you want, some white flour, wait ~a day, then cook it in a griddle until it's done.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah just add ⅓ cup corn syrup per cup of sugar and you'll be fine. I assume the cream of tartar is there to invert the sugar and help prevent that but just use corn syrup instead.

I do have some corn syrup, but the recipe doesn't call for it. Some nearby ones in the book do. Does Corn Syrup substitute straight up for sugar? I feel like if I just added 2/3 cup of corn syrup to the 2 cups of sugar that's already in there I'm gonna screw with my ratios.

quote:

Once the sugar starts to boil and caramelize don't stir it. The action of the boiling will be enough movement.
I like to use a blow torch to melt the crystals off the side of the pan rather than a brush and water. The water always drips into the cooking sugar and cools it slightly.

I'll try that. The not stirring part, not the blowtorch since that seems like a bad idea with toddlers running around and punching me in the crotch at random intervals. Does the dripping of water cooling the sugar increase the chances of crystallization? I don't really understand the physics of this yet.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Son's first birthday is coming up and wanted to do a homemade cake for him. We're doing a dinosaur theme and we found this childish dragon to make into a cake. Has an instructable for all the bodycake parts. (Turning it into a dino w/o wings or fire) As far as frosting goes I've only ever used store bought stuff which I figure would be too sticky and non-smoothable? My question is: suggestions on homemade frosting recipes for this? I'd like the frosting to be easy to smooth out. I'd say we are aiming for a sweeter frosting vs. flavorless whipped stuff like a store cake.

Secondly, we're doing volcano cupcakes since the dino won't be enough cake. I'm going to use a giant round tip to do the volcano in dyed vanilla frosting, but not sure what would look/taste good as a red substance. A single raspberry on top? Raspberry syrup for lava?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If you have sourdough starter, just mix the teff with some starter (and water) and, if you want, some white flour, wait ~a day, then cook it in a griddle until it's done.

Thanks. Do I need sourdough starter, or is this just nice to have and will accelerate the fermentation of the batter? I assume the latter.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Planet X posted:

Thanks. Do I need sourdough starter, or is this just nice to have and will accelerate the fermentation of the batter? I assume the latter.
If you don't have a sourdough starter you'll probably want to make a teff starter so that you don't have to worry about getting the fermentation started anew each time. Sourdough can be sort of fussy and have trouble getting going depending on your climate, the flour, your water, etc. Some people say chlorinated water won't work unless you let the chlorine offgass first (I've never had that problem), etc. you want, though, you can just mix together the teff and the water and wait until it's started to ferment.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Duxwig posted:

Son's first birthday is coming up and wanted to do a homemade cake for him. We're doing a dinosaur theme and we found this childish dragon to make into a cake. Has an instructable for all the bodycake parts. (Turning it into a dino w/o wings or fire) As far as frosting goes I've only ever used store bought stuff which I figure would be too sticky and non-smoothable? My question is: suggestions on homemade frosting recipes for this? I'd like the frosting to be easy to smooth out. I'd say we are aiming for a sweeter frosting vs. flavorless whipped stuff like a store cake.

Secondly, we're doing volcano cupcakes since the dino won't be enough cake. I'm going to use a giant round tip to do the volcano in dyed vanilla frosting, but not sure what would look/taste good as a red substance. A single raspberry on top? Raspberry syrup for lava?

Cake looks very cute. Good luck with putting it together.

For your frosting, I would say you can make a real simple butter cream frosting. A basic recipe will make plenty for a cake. This one from AB makes 2 cups.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/simple-vanilla-buttercream-frosting

A more advanced version would be an Italian Buttercream which involves drizzling hot syrup into a mix of egg whites that is being beaten with a stand mixer
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/12/italian-buttercream-frosting-recipe.html

I did have a thought on your volcano cupcakes. Or perhaps the way I would do them, to put more accurately. I would invert the cupcakes, so the narrow part was on top and flared toward the bottom. Then I would give a thin chocolate frosting all around. Then, depending on the crowd I'd either do red vanilla frosting, or red fruit jam thinned to a smoother consistency (though you may have to strain for seeds for raspberry). The jam has the benefit of being able to just spoon over the frosted cupcakes rather than needing to be piped on.

You could also, if you don't mind the food dye route (and a have a lot of time) do something where you could have a red colored center of the cupcake surrounded by a brown/chocolate outside, so you wouldn't see the "lava" until you bit into it. If I was going that route I'd take a small cylinder and set that in the muffin pan, pour the red in the middle, then brown around that, then remove the cylinder, lifting straight up. You could still frost them, how you wanted, but it just adds a little extra.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Teeter posted:

Pork adobo!

I just made a big batch last night; it's the easiest. Essentially the same thing as pulled pork or carnitas but with a bit of asian flair due to the heavy dose of vinegar and soy sauce.

I basically just cube the pork, brown the pieces, then toss all that in to my pressure cooker with a mix of soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, garlic, whole black pepper, and bay leaves. I don't even measure anything, just toss in roughly equal amounts of the 3 liquids (maybe 1/2 cup each with a 4lb pork butt) and spice it up with however I'm feeling at the moment. I ate it over rice for dinner last night and saved a shitload of meat for use in leftover burritos/sandwiches at work the next few days.

Finally got around to trying this out, cut the shoulder into four big chunks, browned two sides of each, and am slow cooking them on high. It smells awesome but I have another 90 minutes to go, drat.

Update: Oh my God this is so good, thanks a bunch. Tried boiling the soy sauce/vinegar mix from the pot to thicken it up but I'm not sure it's actually thickening, any advice there?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 3, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've never seen thickened adobo sauce. It's just for flavoring the meat really, you can drizzle some on your rice if you want I suppose.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Goons you have recommended an instant pot to me and I love it, so much simple pulled meat! Now I come with another request, I'm looking for a blender to make protein shakes with. Not looking for anything too fancy, just something reliable and durable for a single person.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

I've never seen thickened adobo sauce. It's just for flavoring the meat really, you can drizzle some on your rice if you want I suppose.

I don't thicken it but I love it on rice, it's such an intensely flavored sauce that it seems like a shame to not use it to dress the rice. Though who knows, everyone has a different adobo recipe so maybe mine makes a nice sauce to put on the rice and with some other recipes that wouldn't be so good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also put it on my rice since I love vinegar. Also good for cooking veggie sides in.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Leal posted:

Goons you have recommended an instant pot to me and I love it, so much simple pulled meat! Now I come with another request, I'm looking for a blender to make protein shakes with. Not looking for anything too fancy, just something reliable and durable for a single person.

I spent $20 on a Black and Decker one at Walmart for the same purpose and it works fine for me. It's a little big, but I'd rather have too big than too small.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Leal posted:

There's a product recommendations thread where this has been discussed many times.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I bought some Korean seasoned (garlic and chili) beka squid that turns out to be a bit too salty to just serve as a side dish. Any recipe recommendations? Maybe a stir-fry?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AceRimmer posted:

I bought some Korean seasoned (garlic and chili) beka squid that turns out to be a bit too salty to just serve as a side dish. Any recipe recommendations? Maybe a stir-fry?

If it's too salty alone chunk it and mix it in with rice, or maybe some cabbage and other vegetables (don't salt the rice or veg).

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I got a weird one.

I picked up some beets from my local market and roasted them. I've ruined the last batch of roasted beets by not leaving them in the oven for long enough (they came out hard and gross). So I kept this batch in too long. They taste AMAZING but the texture is all wrong - chewy and mushy and limp. I was planning on just eating them this week with some sea salt n olive oil because beets are essentially perfect, but this texture has defeated my taste buds.

You might say........... they beet me?????!!?!?

Beets were wrapped in foil, roasted for a couple of hours, cooled, then peeled. Have about 4 med-large beets of various hues. All I can think of is to make borscht, which is not a bad thing at all. But I already have a big ol tub of borscht in my freezer (I love beets).

What do?

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 4, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SubG posted:

There's a product recommendations thread where this has been discussed many times.

You mean there are threads that are outside my bookmarks?! But thanks, I should take a look through this as I'm trying to expand my cookware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

LongSack posted:

Looking for ideas as to where to eat in both cities, TIA.
Repost your question in the "Where to eat for cities that don't deserve their own threads" thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697762&pagenumber=9#lastpost

Leal posted:

I have one of these: https://www.lowes.ca/blenders/hamil...PQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought mine at Canadian Tire like a year ago and I use it about 6 times a week for smoothies (banana, frozen fruit, yogurt, milk) and it just keeps on truckin'. For $20 if it breaks I can just replace it.