Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sure.

Sadly, not actually a prank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Sure.

Sadly, not actually a prank.

It's BMW so it's a joke that's not actually funny.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Years ago I tried out a two-wheel drive bicycle. It drove the front wheel with a flexible spinning cable, like the Dremel tool extension units or a motorcycle speedometer cable, connected to each wheel with a bevel drive. It was fine in a straight line, but turning was weird as gently caress. Ever felt torque-steer through the handlebars of a two-wheeled vehicle? If it was noticeable on a bicycle, I can't imagine what it would be like at motorcycle-like speeds with motorcycle-like power.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'd imagine there'll be a speed lockout on it. Like, it's only intended to help amateur adventure riders scale logs and poo poo when they're creeping around in the dirt, so it won't even activate on the highway.

Who knows though, have to see a manual. 2WD just feels like the kind of thing you could never possibly include on such a big bike as a fully manual system.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

"We were absolutely amazed how problem-free and reliable the all-wheel drive worked even at minus 56 degrees. Thanks to our functional BMW rider equipment, the cold temperatures were no problem for the rider, too. Probably the most thrilling conclusion we can draw from our test runs, is that for the first time we can offer a motorcycle that makes riding a motorcycle a pleasure at snow depths of 1.25 metres in high winter with the new R 1200 GS xDrive Hybrid. Special front section components have also been developed for this purpose as well as high-speed suitable M+S all-season tyres. This was also necessary in order to meet the necessary requirements for high-speed winter operation," said Scherbeck.

They know their market well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

Years ago I tried out a two-wheel drive bicycle. It drove the front wheel with a flexible spinning cable, like the Dremel tool extension units or a motorcycle speedometer cable, connected to each wheel with a bevel drive. It was fine in a straight line, but turning was weird as gently caress. Ever felt torque-steer through the handlebars of a two-wheeled vehicle? If it was noticeable on a bicycle, I can't imagine what it would be like at motorcycle-like speeds with motorcycle-like power.

Most of the moto ones don't apply power until the rear wheel spins a percentage faster than the front. Basically only for use in pulling you through slides or over things off-road. It's apparently hax if you're racing on a road course in the rain though, cause the front wheel drive means front end slides are much more recoverable.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

GUUUUUUUYYYYYYYYYYYVVVVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
:siren:Lady Chiche is beginning to go along with the idea of having a second motorcycle as backup.:siren: :woop:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Been looking for ebay deals on leather suits and now I'm having second thoughts on my red and white sumo setup. Now I wanna buy these:

And do my bike up in that Dixie cup Jazz design

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
DO IIIIIIIIT :krad:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, now you have to do it. You'd need custom printed vinyl, or you could do it yourself with a rattlecan of plastidip because the original pattern was spray anyway.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

:siren:Lady Chiche is beginning to go along with the idea of having a second motorcycle as backup.:siren: :woop:

So she can ride?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I didn't already buy new decals I'd be on it, and I'd probably build something in illustrator to import to motocal.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slim Pickens posted:

And do my bike up in that Dixie cup Jazz design

This looks like an ad for a soft rock radio station. Awesome.

Flikken posted:

So she can ride?

Yes, so I'm probably looking for something ninjette sized. Perfect, because I definitely want a little bike to thrash around.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
So uh, whats the CA consensus on Yamaha FZ8's? No reasssonnn

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Fat version on the 6 that doesn't have much benefit over it. The fz09 is what the fz8 should have been.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

nsaP posted:

Fat version on the 6 that doesn't have much benefit over it. The fz09 is what the fz8 should have been.

Yeah but everyone feels that way so they are cheeaap

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What are they going for in your neck of the woods?! Around here, they are very not cheap, and can be had for a bit less than a much newer FZ09.

They also look awful, and are why I used to have an inate dislike for yamaha.

For a fz8, you could get a really good wr250x, which would be kind to your back or whatever.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

I've found a couple places online that make them BUT

does anyone know places IRL that will make up prescription goggles? I'm too poor for Lasik and I *really* want to try them on with my helmet before I buy.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

epsilon posted:

I've found a couple places online that make them BUT

does anyone know places IRL that will make up prescription goggles? I'm too poor for Lasik and I *really* want to try them on with my helmet before I buy.

What style are you thinking? As a dirt biker and snowboarder with severe astigmatism I've found the prescription google situation to be really lovely. Most of them have a piece inside where the lenses go, so while the "glasses" are attached to and part of the goggle you still deal with fog problems just like wearing OTG goggles. I'm saving for lasik, personally. Until then I rub Selsun blue dandruff shampoo all over my glasses lenses then let it dry and buff it off. That cures 99% of fog issues.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Has this been around for a while or is it newish tech? Was perusing Honda's site and noticed this tidbit under the '17 CBR 600 RR

Electronic Combined Anti-Lock Braking (C-ABS)
The electronically controlled C-ABS distributes brake force over both wheels, helping to maintain braking confidence in less-than-ideal conditions. The system electronically measures rider input on the brake lever and pedal, and applies only the front or rear brake in some cases or combines both brakes in other situations.

Read more at http://powersports.honda.com/2017/cbr600rr/innovations/C-ABS.aspx#Z4UdUkKrvHtKPJth.99

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linked brakes have been a thing forever. Honda especially has a real hard on for them

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
well less the linked thing and more the whole reading rider input levels and adjusting the ABS based off that

tjones
May 13, 2005
How I read it is that no matter what lever you are using, the system determines how the brake force is applied, if any at all to that lever. I'd rather not have that system enabled on a super-sport.

I understand that electronic aids are a good thing in most situations. I also understand that they are getting better by the year. But I'm firmly planted in my opinion that I'd rather have the option to turn that poo poo off if I wanted.

EDIT: I should state that I don't know if that can be disabled or not, only that there are bikes being built where you can't disable those systems. What happens if you pull a fuse?

tjones fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 12, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's just honda resurrecting their linked brakes HORSESHIT in a modern, more elegant way by using the already-existing ABS system to implement it. Linked brakes are still a massive pile of poo and I will fight anyone who tries to tell me otherwise.

tjones posted:

How I read it is that no matter what lever you are using, the system determines how the brake force is applied, if any at all to that lever. I'd rather not have that system enabled on a super-sport.

I understand that electronic aids are a good thing in most situations. I also understand that they are getting better by the year. But I'm firmly planted in my opinion that I'd rather have the option to turn that poo poo off if I wanted.

EDIT: I should state that I don't know if that can be disabled or not, only that there are bikes being built where you can't disable those systems. What happens if you pull a fuse?

If you pull a fuse, the ABS light comes on and ABS (and TCS) magically disappear.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Linked brakes have been a thing forever. Honda especially has a real hard on for them
My 1984 Moto Guzzi had it. It was crap actually. But that's just because Moto Guzzi implemented it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

tjones posted:

Playing devil's advocate here, but that sounds like 'banned in most forms of motorsport' kind of ABS. The no matter how ham handed (or footed) you are, the wheels will never* lock, because it will distribute braking force around to whatever wheel is still turning. So if you grab a noobfist full of front brake, it only applies as much as to see the wheel speed sensor slowing a certain rate before routing the extra brake force to the rear brake, in a controlled enough manner that that wheel speed sensor doesn't also begin slowing at a greater rate than appropriate.
If it works like that, it would make you think you're Marc Marquez, so it's absolutely at home on a super sport.

*within the design envelope and imagination of the engineering department.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Linked brakes are fine aside from being a pain to bleed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Actually they're godawful.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Playing devil's advocate here, but that sounds like 'banned in most forms of motorsport' kind of ABS. The no matter how ham handed (or footed) you are, the wheels will never* lock, because it will distribute braking force around to whatever wheel is still turning. So if you grab a noobfist full of front brake, it only applies as much as to see the wheel speed sensor slowing a certain rate before routing the extra brake force to the rear brake, in a controlled enough manner that that wheel speed sensor doesn't also begin slowing at a greater rate than appropriate.
If it works like that, it would make you think you're Marc Marquez, so it's absolutely at home on a super sport.

*within the design envelope and imagination of the engineering department.

I'll bite. Marc would never have such a thing because then he wouldn't be able to drop the front, low side through the apex, and pick the bike back up on corner exit with his elbow and leg. How am I ever going to pretend I'm as good as him if I'm not constantly washing out the front?

I'm curious as to why Honda is dumping more electronics into the 600 anyway. Aren't they getting rid of the thing?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I love how the legend of Johnny Raider lives on still.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Are there v twin sumos besides that insane Aprilia?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
If you count the Hypermotard, I guess

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tjones posted:

I'll bite. Marc would never have such a thing because then he wouldn't be able to drop the front, low side through the apex, and pick the bike back up on corner exit with his elbow and leg.
He's certainly got the "drop the front" part sorted :haw:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Space Whale posted:

Nope.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Space Whale posted:

Sumo a KTM 450/500 and it'll be close enough for you. Please also buy a gopro.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
990SMR :colbert:

I went down that rabbit hole last year, though, and there is nothing there. Closest you are gonna get is a scrabbler/sumo made from an SV650. Rad, but the KTM 690 SMCR makes the same power and 1/4 lighter.

I do want that vtwin sound/though :(

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

990SMR :colbert:

I went down that rabbit hole last year, though, and there is nothing there. Closest you are gonna get is a scrabbler/sumo made from an SV650. Rad, but the KTM 690 SMCR makes the same power and 1/4 lighter.

I do want that vtwin sound/though :(

990SMR is also ridiculous, but the 450/500 is going to be a lot lighter with much lower top speed. Whether those are things you want I leave up to you.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The 450/500 is a single, right?! Vtwin was his criteria, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

The 450/500 is a single, right?! Vtwin was his criteria, I thought.

It was and I put exactly the correct amount of thought into his criteria as it merits.