Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Please don't cite the Review-Journal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Discendo Vox posted:

Please don't cite the Review-Journal.

May I cite Buzzfeed citing the Review‐Journal?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Since the Review-Journal is just citing the court proceeding, just cite the court proceeding! I'm concerned that the only places covering this are citing the Review-Journal, aside from the local CBS affiliate.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Mar 25, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Discendo Vox posted:

Since the Review-Journal is just citing the court proceeding, just cite the court proceeding!

We can’t even get juries to pay attention to that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Platystemon posted:

We can’t even get juries to pay attention to that.

We should aspire to a higher standard than the lowest common denominator of all humanity.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ouch. Using the guise of journalism to get undercover guys in makes about as much sense as using a vaccination program to find OBL. drat those guys just don't give a poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TotalLossBrain posted:

Ouch. Using the guise of journalism to get undercover guys in makes about as much sense as using a vaccination program to find OBL. drat those guys just don't give a poo poo.

Yeah, we don't want people to start questioning the legitimacy and integrity of journalism. :newlol: Though I suppose that might have still been a consideration back in 2014 or whatever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

TotalLossBrain posted:

Two things here.

1. It worked. The evidence that came out in court Wednesday appears likely to be dispositive.

2. There's a reason that almost the only places carrying this story are right wing fringe outlets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Being used against them at the scene by the guys they were pointing guns at is something they probably didn’t expect, but:

Things you tell to journalists have never been things that cannot be used against you in court.

Their problem is that they trusted the journalists, not that the journalists were Federal agents. Any real journalist could have willingly disclosed the same information.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I know I'm overreacting. I don't like it on principle, but I realize it's perfectly legal and on the guys willingly giving out information. It's not like they could have counted on a real interview not to be used in court later (unless interviewed by OPB, of course).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Discendo Vox posted:

1. It worked. The evidence that came out in court Wednesday appears likely to be dispositive.
2. There's a reason that almost the only places carrying this story are right wing fringe outlets.

The fact that it worked makes it worse.

Also, what is that reason?

TotalLossBrain posted:

I know I'm overreacting. I don't like it on principle, but I realize it's perfectly legal and on the guys willingly giving out information. It's not like they could have counted on a real interview not to be used in court later (unless interviewed by OPB, of course).

Yeah but at least then there would have potentially been an actual documentary that was made. It wouldn't have eroded trust in the institution and investigative journalists and documentarians. I'm less concerned with them willing to go public with incriminating themselves, and more concerned with the posing as people doing important work and thus making it more difficult for those who do that important work to do it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

#notallreporters

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Actually, it’s about ethics in rancher journalism.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah but at least then there would have potentially been an actual documentary that was made. It wouldn't have eroded trust in the institution and investigative journalists and documentarians. I'm less concerned with them willing to go public with incriminating themselves, and more concerned with the posing as people doing important work and thus making it more difficult for those who do that important work to do it.

Militia-sympathetic "documentarians" who make "America Unloaded" aren't doing important work.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Discendo Vox posted:

Militia-sympathetic "documentarians" who make "America Unloaded" aren't doing important work.

You could have just said "Pete Santilli" and everyone would have got it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

TotalLossBrain posted:

You could have just said "Pete Santilli" and everyone would have got it.

Fair point. I have a deep distaste for the whole documentarian genre. It's as much a source of propaganda and advertising as it has ever been a medium of honest communication.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Discendo Vox posted:

Fair point. I have a deep distaste for the whole documentarian genre. It's as much a source of propaganda and advertising as it has ever been a medium of honest communication.

hey now dinesh d'souza paid his debt to society over many weeknights being made to sleep in a dorm with hardened criminals and now he's the most profitable documentarian in history

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hey now dinesh d'souza paid his debt to society over many weeknights being made to sleep in a dorm with hardened criminals and now he's the most profitable documentarian in history

Yes I love getting my morality lectures from a convicted felon and divorcee.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Discendo Vox posted:

"[blah] is actually good because I know it will only actually be used against bad people" is not a very convincing argument, especially when the chilling effect is going to still hit people who aren't the bad people.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GlyphGryph posted:

"[blah] is actually good because I know it will only actually be used against bad people" is not a very convincing argument, especially when the chilling effect is going to still hit people who aren't the bad people.

It's okay though, because in 2017 nobody believes in professional journalism anymore anyway. In our post-truth world a guy with a blog or a youtube channel is considered as much a journalist as the guys on the nightly news. Posing as a random documentarian is no less ethical than posing as a random pizza delivery guy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Good thing that wasn't my whole argument, huh.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's okay though, because in 2017 nobody believes in professional journalism anymore anyway. In our post-truth world a guy with a blog or a youtube channel is considered as much a journalist as the guys on the nightly news. Posing as a random documentarian is no less ethical than posing as a random pizza delivery guy.

yeah the fbi could have pretended to be a BBQ delivery truck and y'all qaeda would have spilled their guts out all the same. Sucks they had to further degrade the state of 'journalism' to do it, unfortunately.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The only way a documentarian, even with the best of intentions, could get close to militias is by lying to them. They're incredibly paranoid, hyper insular, and stupid as poo poo, they don't talk to anyone who doesn't match their views at least 90%.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The only way a documentarian, even with the best of intentions, could get close to militias is by lying to them. They're incredibly paranoid, hyper insular, and stupid as poo poo, they don't talk to anyone who doesn't match their views at least 90%.
nah, they are credulous hicks

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Undercover kind of implies lying to them

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

this kinda proves my point though?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

To be fair Bauer said he would admit to being a journalist if asked, but no one asked, and a Facebook page with a Gadsden flag was enough to pass their background check :lol:

He did the same thing for his piece on private prisons, just left journalist off his job application. All they had to do was google his name.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Undercover kind of implies lying to them
it also implies not absolutely half-assing it

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

red19fire posted:

To be fair Bauer said he would admit to being a journalist if asked, but no one asked, and a Facebook page with a Gadsden flag was enough to pass their background check :lol:

He did the same thing for his piece on private prisons, just left journalist off his job application. All they had to do was google his name.

IIRC he actually listed his previous journalism jobs on the application for the prison one.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nm posted:

IIRC he actually listed his previous journalism jobs on the application for the prison one.

I read that whole piece (I thought it was good) but I don't remember him being that explicit. The people at the prison were pretty shocked and surprised when it turned out he was a journalist. The photographer for MJ was actually picked up by the cops, if memory serves.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I read that whole piece (I thought it was good) but I don't remember him being that explicit. The people at the prison were pretty shocked and surprised when it turned out he was a journalist. The photographer for MJ was actually picked up by the cops, if memory serves.

quote:

CCA certainly seemed eager to give me a chance to join its team. Within two weeks of filling out its online application, using my real name and personal information, several CCA prisons contacted me, some multiple times.

They weren't interested in the details of my résumé. They didn't ask about my job history, my current employment with the Foundation for National Progress, the publisher of Mother Jones, or why someone who writes about criminal justice in California would want to move across the country to work in a prison. They didn't even ask about the time I was arrested for shoplifting when I was 19.
I read this more as them not even looking at his resume or background. Though looking at it again, it is readable as him not listing it.

Edit: this says he gave them his full resume.
http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/cca-private-prisons-investigative-journalism-editors-note

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, that seems like a pretty defensible dodge on his part. Like I said, I liked the piece - hell, I subscribe to Mother Jones.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i suspect private prisons have a hard time finding people: it pays poo poo, and the people who would gravitate towards such a position (violent authoritarians who couldnt get into police academy) have a decreased probability of passing a background check

nm
Jan 28, 2008

It is far more damning if he gave them the resume and they just ignored them. Background checks should be like 50% of law enforcement recruiting (the other half should by psych).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
whut if... not only do you pay your regular employees poo poo, you also pay your middle management employees like HR poo poo as well? imagine the profit margins you could squeeze out of that

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
they call me a disruptor... an innovator

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

i suspect private prisons have a hard time finding people: it pays poo poo, and the people who would gravitate towards such a position (violent authoritarians who couldnt get into police academy) have a decreased probability of passing a background check

the trick is that you open them in lovely rural counties so you attract every dipshit redneck who's smart enough to move between different lovely rural towns, but too dumb to cut it in a decent sized city, and thus too dumb to realize they're getting paid poo poo

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Judge Makes Key Ruling on Defense Witnesses in Standoff Case

quote:

A jury might hear from just one or two defense witnesses and only one of the six men accused of wielding guns against federal agents during a 2014 standoff involving Nevada cattleman and states' rights advocate Cliven Bundy, following a judge's decision Monday limiting the scope of remaining testimony.

After nearly two months of testimony by more than three dozen prosecution witnesses, defense attorneys were knocked off a plan to call most of about 10 witnesses.

Chief U.S. District Judge Gloria Navarro ruled that any testimony should focus on the standoff itself, not incidents preceding it.

Defense attorney Todd Leventhal, representing Orville Scott Drexler of Idaho, said the ruling crippled the defense and ensured the jury won't hear from most of the witnesses that defendants' attorneys intended to call. Richard Tanasi, lawyer for defendant Steven Stewart of Idaho, said the defense team would have to regroup and figure out a strategy.

The ruling appeared to put the case on track for closing arguments as early as this week.

The six are the first of 17 defendants to stand trial on conspiracy, weapon and assault on a federal agent charges that could get each up to 101 years in prison in the confrontation that ended a roundup of Bundy cattle from public land in southern Nevada.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 09:39 on Apr 4, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

whut if... not only do you pay your regular employees poo poo, you also pay your middle management employees like HR poo poo as well? imagine the profit margins you could squeeze out of that

just stop paying all labor and threaten them with a gun if they refuse to keep working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I can't get over special agent Dan Love.