Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I made the mistake of reading the forum for the new client. I lost a lot of respect for DXV and a lot of optimism about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I just looked for an equal opponent and was matched three times in a row with the same person, who resigned every time before the first turn. Was it something I said? You'd think the automatch could forbid your last opponent.

Broken Loose posted:

If you turn somebody's opening 5 from a 5/2 into a Duchy before they get to use it, you instawin. gently caress Swindler.

On the other hand if you open 5/2 and your opponent's 4/3 on a board with Mountebank and Chapel, you instawin too. Matched opening hands is where it's at.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Safety Biscuits posted:

On the other hand if you open 5/2 and your opponent's 4/3 on a board with Mountebank and Chapel, you instawin too. Matched opening hands is where it's at.

This is, in fact, the exact thing I was reading DXV's tantrum on.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, I just played the best match I've ever played against the #2 ranked player and I have nothing to show for it since logging isn't a thing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

This is, in fact, the exact thing I was reading DXV's tantrum on.

he's 100% right though

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Guy A. Person posted:

he's 100% right though

You can't fix everything, but not even giving people the option and throwing a tantrum about it is kinda lovely.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What did he say?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I seem to remember visiting that thread a few days ago; unless it's gotten worse since then, it wasn't so much a tantrum as it was "that's not how I designed the game, that's not how I envision it being played. You don't match any other shuffle in the course of the game, why should the first one be any different?"

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

If anything, the tantrum is from the complainers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tenebrais posted:

What did he say?

quote:

I don't know what you even mean by "stigma," and certainly don't acknowledge it. I recommend not constructing sentences like "Every single poster in this thread acknowledges..." Speak for yourself! We'll speak for ourselves.

The first shuffle inequalities are immediately followed by the second shuffle inequalities. It's a game with shuffling.

I remain 100% against identical starting hands. I also have a good, lucky feeling that I can kill this potential feature, being me. I do not recommend devoting a lot of time to trying to get it.

quote:

You can produce to-you-salient points endlessly; I only have so much time to talk to you about this feature I know I'm vetoing.

quote:

I'm there you for you, ha ha!

You may feel like you're just talking to Shuffle iT, and why would I even be involved, but I bet I can just shoot down this idea, because I made the game, and ultimately hold the rights. I won't need to threaten Shuffle iT with threatening RGG; everyone will want to get along and be friendly, and they will just not put in work on this feature that I don't want.

quote:

So I mean, man, if you need to think of that as me giving everyone the finger, well there's no talking to you. I'm not going to reject your bad feature out of spite; I reject it though, and no amount of telling me how awful I am will change that, somehow.

Mods, please close the thread!

quote:

I will continue to be stupid and offensive here! I veto it. I feel like I've gone over my reasoning plenty; I don't require you to read it or agree with it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
To be fair to DXV, interspersed in there is a bunch of people calling for the exact same thing over and over despite already being told no, some of whom are telling the creator of Dominion that he doesn't understand Dominion.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dude is also sarcastic to a fault; I don't really read that as a tantrum at all. He knows he can veto this thing he doesn't like and is doing so and is being kind of facetious because that's what he is like.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Matched hands is an improvement though and if he doesn't accept that he's just wrong.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Matched hands is an improvement though and if he doesn't accept that he's just wrong.

I disagree and while I think the option would be fine I don't begrudge him for putting his foot down and saying "yeah that's not the game I designed". And are we talking matched right down to order as well? Cause stuff like Nomad Camp makes a 4/3 opening significantly different than a 3/4 opening.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Turns 3 4 and 5 can be just as, if not more so, game determining as turns 1 and 2, should those be matched as well?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Dominion agrees that matched openings are pretty good, that's why it matches your openings 72% of the time.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

taser rates posted:

Turns 3 4 and 5 can be just as, if not more so, game determining as turns 1 and 2, should those be matched as well?

That's basically the point DXV makes.

Also, if you have matched hands, turn order can tip off strategy and allow second player the advantage (whereas a 3/4 first player could hide their $4 buy from a 4/3 second player) so that means the first turn matched hands should probably be blind buy as well.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Poopy Palpy posted:

Dominion agrees that matched openings are pretty good, that's why it matches your openings 72% of the time.

Well again, this is if you assume 3/4 is the equivalent to 4/3. Cards like Nomad Camp, the debt cards, certain events, etc make this not necessarily the case. A 4/3 with Nomad Camp can become a 4/5. With Overlord in play a 5/2 is loving phenomenal (since you can get a 5 and eat the debt the next turn) compared to a 2/5 where you're usually passing on the 2.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Guy A. Person posted:

Also, if you have matched hands, turn order can tip off strategy and allow second player the advantage (whereas a 3/4 first player could hide their $4 buy from a 4/3 second player) so that means the first turn matched hands should probably be blind buy as well.

That doesn't follow at all

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Guy A. Person posted:

Well again, this is if you assume 3/4 is the equivalent to 4/3. Cards like Nomad Camp, the debt cards, certain events, etc make this not necessarily the case. A 4/3 with Nomad Camp can become a 4/5. With Overlord in play a 5/2 is loving phenomenal (since you can get a 5 and eat the debt the next turn) compared to a 2/5 where you're usually passing on the 2.

Most games aren't going to have those cards. There are a lot of Dominion cards.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Most games aren't going to have those cards. There are a lot of Dominion cards.

Most games aren't going to have Mountebank/Chapel, either.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

misguided rage posted:

That doesn't follow at all

The point was about matched hands so everyone gets a 4/3 for example instead of a 3 and a 4 in your two opening hands. You need to do this because otherwise there are cards I mentioned that benefit a certain draw order.

The concept of matched hands is about reducing randomness and equalizing the playing field so the skilled player wins more often. But if I'm the skilled player, part of that skill is knowing the optimal cards to open with. If my opponent knows this, they can just copy my opening buys. If I go second they don't get to do this and they start in a much worse position than otherwise. Randomizing who goes first is more randomness, so that doesn't solve the issue either.

I get that it's stupid and nitpicky but my whole point is going down this rabbit hole is stupid.

Like take Nomad Camp again. So let's say we match a 4/3 opening with Nomad Camp in play, and both open it for a better second hand. Well now you are only drawing the next 4 cards of your original starting deck (along with the topdecked Nomad Camp), so there's the possibility that one player had a copper at the very bottom. So one player opens 4/4 and the other 4/5, and we are unbalanced again. Do we match the exact order of cards in the deck to avoid this?

Yeah there are only a few cards that do this, but it used to be 0 and now the percentage is increasing all the time. Especially since events do it more often and those don't count toward total kingdom size.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Looten Plunder posted:

I've had the first edition of Dominion Intrigue sitting in my closet for a couple of years now without ever playing it. I'm going on holiday with the family this week and the weather forecast is poo poo so I'm thinking I might finally get the chance.

How'd this shake out btw?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Had a uniquely satisfying game tonight. I won by stacking a shitload of buys and, in my final turn, buying a Duchy, draining a 3 point Action pile, and buying the 2 remaining Curses to create the 3rd empty pile.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Got my fastest non-resignation win ever last night: I started off just buying silver and a Smithy to quickly get 2 Rebuilds. Then I pretty much just kept cycling my Rebuilds with an occasional Lurker to regain some trashed Estates/Duchies for more Rebuild fodder, until I was in the clear to start trashing Provinces for Provinces. There was nothing my opponent could have done other than mirror my strategy, but he caught on too late.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CaptainRightful posted:

Got my fastest non-resignation win ever last night: I started off just buying silver and a Smithy to quickly get 2 Rebuilds. Then I pretty much just kept cycling my Rebuilds with an occasional Lurker to regain some trashed Estates/Duchies for more Rebuild fodder, until I was in the clear to start trashing Provinces for Provinces. There was nothing my opponent could have done other than mirror my strategy, but he caught on too late.

Lurker does not work that way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Lurker does not work that way.

Just what the hell are you playing at, CaptainRightful??

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I misremembered. It was a Graverobber, which I hardly even had to use. My point was that it's easy to keep cycling 2 Rebuilds and win quickly if your opponent tries to build a traditional engine, even with attacks thrown in.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah Rebuild is an absolute beast. I recall DXV saying he would design it differently if he knew how automatic it would be. It's not just that it's powerful, since there are a ton of powerful Dominion cards and everyone has the same access to them; they just make the game play out in a very rote way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guy A. Person posted:

To add another example: Borrow breaks the symmetry before the first shuffle in the same way as Nomad Camp, and unlike the Camp you can do it twice and it's always available regardless of your opening hand. And it would get worse with fully fixed deck order as you'd know whether you could (and should) Borrow on turn 2 as well. That foreknowledge forces both players to play the same way - a 5/4 or 5/3 being decidedly weaker than a 5/6 or 5/5 - and in turn changes the game into a snowballing luckfest where he who draws his 6 on turn 3 generally wins.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Exactly. And more of these opening turn modifying cards/events/mechanics keep getting added as each set comes out with crazier mechanics. You can''t really put that cat back in the bag.

And to reinforce my belief/point that the first shuffle might be as or more important than the opening hands:

Last week I had a game where I opened 5/2 Mountebank but I buried it and didn't draw it till turn 5. I also had another 2 on I believe turn 4, so I only gained 2 cards in my first 4 turns. My opponent ended up playing his Mounte (which he got on maybe turn 4 or 5) for the third time before I did. I lost by not much but my first turn Mounte wasn't the silver bullet it usually is.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Logged in today and it seems I've squeaked into the top 20:

Not sure how that happened, but I'll take it!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Congrats!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Congrats! On a related note, I've squeaked into the Top 2000.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
New Dominion expansion announced! Dominion: Nocturne

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17456.0

If Adventures was the Seaside sequel and Empires the Prosperity sequel, this looks like the Dark Ages sequel. 500 cards, 33 kingdom piles and heirlooms, which replace your starting Coppers.

Currently scheduled for an October English release.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Sure hope it shows up simultaneously on the online site, that's the only way I play now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
One the one hand, gently caress yeah more Dominion. On the other hand...where the hell am I gonna store it??

Lorini posted:

Sure hope it shows up simultaneously on the online site, that's the only way I play now.

One of the online devs said on Reddit that the plan is to have Nocturne online day one; which is neat!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I can't manage to break above a 47 rating, because I'm still so unfamiliar with the later expansions. That said, I'm still excited for more!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Figured we would be getting something announced soon. BGG has a more detailed description of the actual contents:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/232452/dominion-nocturne

quote:

Dominion: Nocturne is the 11th expansion to Dominion. It has 500 cards, with 33 new Kingdom cards. There are Night cards, which are played after the Buy phase; Heirlooms that replace starting Coppers; Fate and Doom cards that give out Boons and Hexes; and a variety of extra cards that other cards can provide.

This sounds...robust. It doesn't mention events or landmarks though which seems odd, I feel like those still have a lot of potential. Looking forward to seeing what the other cards do though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I can't wait to run Nocturne and Dark Ages together and have a starting hand with absolutely nothing from the base game in it