Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Haier posted:

I get the same reaction from women.

Must be nice having a 7cm+ lund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Is there any current comic strip that's been running for 10+ years that hasn't turned to poo poo?

Dinosaur Comics

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Something Positive.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm sorry but if you don't like garfield you are just garbage

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/sanverde/status/849257801289314304

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mad Hamish posted:

Something Positive.

You're right, that one was garbage to begin with

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
today i walked over to the pool i've hit up five or six times. it's not bad. it is pretty much only olds. that means the bathroom and changing room reeks of cigs and there is spit all over the floor. it is what it is.

on my way over i was listening to a podcast by dr. jordan peterson and it was him discussing his book "maps of meaning". he's talking about what it means to be alive and what it means to be aware of the world around you, just stuff like this, and on my walk to the pool he mentions something along the lines of "when we see something happen, we internalize it, we learn from it, and if it is a positive outcome we learn to continue to do it, but if it is a negative outcome our brain learns not to do it" etc etc type of thing. he goes on to say that is what makes us alive, not just as humans but as some animals as well.

it's pretty rare when my academic podcasts are topical but today it was.

so i get to the pool and there's these two old guys in the part where there's no lane. they are both swimming backwards and they are on a collision course for each other. i can see this from where i am outside the pool but with both of them just floundering backwards in the pool i can not do anything about it. they crash into each other and both kind of stop and tread water, and then continue swimming backwards to the opposite ends of the pool.

here's where it gets interesting. they get to the opposite ends and (i'm assuming) see each other at the other end of the pool. after about thirty seconds, one guy starts swimming backwards again, and then the other guy does, and sure enough, about 40 seconds later, they crash into each other again.

this happens four times. not just once. or twice. or even three times. four times both of them just swim backwards and end up crashing into each other. it ended when one of them got out of the pool and went to the sauna.

i can not for the life of me understand how people would crash into each other, apologize, and then just continue to do the exact same thing that just ended up with them crashing into each other. dr peterson in the podcast didn't even say it was something that was human specific. in the famous pavlov experiment, a dog learned to associate a ringing bell with being hungry. i can not figure out why people would just swim backwards without looking and repeatedly run into each other. there is zero way for me to understand it.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 4, 2017

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Ask yourself if the dude who moves out of the way will lose face.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Do you have clams in your house?

Yes, I am protected.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What make a human a human is having face and pride and knowing you are right. If I do a thing, it's the right thing and it's my right to do it. If doing that thing creates a bad outcome, it's not my fault, it's someone else's fault. Why would I do a bad thing, do you think I'm foolish? It's the other's fault, they are the foolish one who needs to change. If you are right you never need to change, change means you were not correct and are a fool. To prove this, it will keep doing the stupid thing, the other person will also keep doing the stupid thing. The first one to stop and do something else is the loser, they have admitted they were wrong, I have proven my actions were right and it was the other who had to move out of the way.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Do you have clams in your house?

Yes, I am protected.

I don't understand why all neighborhoods here have this poo poo on their walls when the gate guys will just let anybody freely wander in and out whenever they want.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I don't understand why all neighborhoods here have this poo poo on their walls when the gate guys will just let anybody freely wander in and out whenever they want.

Seeming is being. The illusion is accepted as reality.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Same reason why some people feel safe when they see the TSA fondle some 10 year old.

~*security theater*~

Also I missed Korea / Korean chat last page. :(

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Would they let a black person or Uyghur freely wander in and out?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

McGavin posted:

Would they let a black person or Uyghur freely wander in and out?

Probably too scared to stop them.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
:laffo: Serves those fucks right. That was the original place where you could rent bikes (long before these rental bikes came along), and nobody wants to go there without following the important rule of "Go to Shenzhen wan/bay and ride a bicycle!" It's a mandatory staple of locals and tourists that they absolutely must ride a bike there.
Since these rent-a-bike services started I stopped going there for skateboard rides because it's such a crazy shithole of swerving retards (more than it was before). I get asked to go there on a weekly basis because nobody here thinks it's possible to walk or ride anywhere else in the city, and have to confuse them by denying and saying I don't like it. How can I not like the bay! What is wrong with me! Crazy foreigner!
It's so crowded on the weekends, and I can't imagine how bad it is with the bikes. I am thankful for these photos to remind me of one more place Chinese, in their desperate and selfish search for money, have utterly ruined for everyone else.

Baronjutter posted:

What make a human a human is having face and pride and knowing you are right. If I do a thing, it's the right thing and it's my right to do it. If doing that thing creates a bad outcome, it's not my fault, it's someone else's fault. Why would I do a bad thing, do you think I'm foolish? It's the other's fault, they are the foolish one who needs to change. If you are right you never need to change, change means you were not correct and are a fool. To prove this, it will keep doing the stupid thing, the other person will also keep doing the stupid thing. The first one to stop and do something else is the loser, they have admitted they were wrong, I have proven my actions were right and it was the other who had to move out of the way.
They need to put this on little cards and give them to foreigners boarding flights to China.

Uh...

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/63cykk/were_the_chinese_kingdoms_particularly_the_qin/

quote:

However, because of China's particular chauvinism about their civilization, their interest in these kingdoms only extended so far as that they were amazed cities existed outside of China.

Do u know China 2000 years of surprise that foreigners do things too? Monkey see, monkey do u know?

quote:

They believed that because no one was around to call bullshit on them. They've always lived in their small bubble space, they almost never faced off against another great civilization, they hardly had any contact outside of their small sphere of vassals. They have only ever fought internally, or against steppe nomads, never against other great civilizations. They were born into a resource rich area and also were relatively isolated.

Imagine that China was born as an only child to a rich noble who didn't know anyone as rich as him cause he lives in the countryside but he did know some lesser nobles (Korea, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, etc) and some commoners(steppe nomads,etc), so there are other nobles just as rich as China, but they are all living in/near the city (Rome, Greece, Persian, etc) so they see each other a lot, fight a lot etc, some are born rich, others become rich later, and they also have many lesser nobles and commoners, but all of them know about each other so no one can claim that he is the richest but China who has never left his house says that he is the richest and well based on his connections, no one refutes his claim, but only because he has never been to the city.

I don't know why I did an ELI5 but that's what I understand of China at least.
This guy is getting downvoted.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Haier posted:

This guy is getting downvoted.

I am not a Redditor so I cannot comment.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://shanghaiist.com/2017/04/03/tourists-climb-in-zoo.php

quote:

Tourists scale wildlife park's wall to save 40 yuan on entrance ticket

In January, a man tried to avoid paying the 130 yuan entrance fee at a Ningbo zoo by climbing over the zoo's outer wall, only to end up inside the tiger enclosure where he was mauled to death before help could arrive. Apparently, this news has not troubled some zoo-goers.

A man surnamed Wang told China Business News about a trip that he took in March with four friends to the Qinlling Wildlife Park in Xi'an. When they arrived, the group was approached by a middle-aged woman who promised that she could get them into the zoo for much cheaper than the entry price.

After they agreed, the woman hopped into their car and guided them down a road skirting the park's perimeter. Eventually, she told them to stop and park. After paying a 20 yuan parking fee, they boarded a van which drove them a few kilometers farther to a place where a few bamboo ladders were leaned up against the zoo's wall.

After handing over 60 yuan each, the tourists were allowed to climb up the ladders and then down another set of ladders on the other side.

"Right when I got down, I heard the sound of two lions roaring in the distance. It nearly scared me to death," Wang remembered.

Wang told the reporter that he doesn't know what he was thinking when he decided to sneak into the zoo, calling the whole thing "extremely dangerous." In addition, the group soon found that in order to view many of the exhibits in the zoo, a ticket was needed.

The reporter also spoke with one of the park's security guards who said that it was local villagers who were pulling off the scam. While the guard said he knew all about it, he claimed there wasn't much he could do to stop it.

Tickets to the park cost 100 yuan.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Classic China. Almost as bad as cutting baby formula with poison and thinking you could get away with it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

quote:

In January, a man tried to avoid paying the 130 yuan entrance fee at a Ningbo zoo by climbing over the zoo's outer wall, only to end up inside the tiger enclosure where he was mauled to death before help could arrive.

That went well. :thumbsup:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Best possible outcome, assuming the tiger was ok.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
the internet tells me that's like $5,but is that like $5 the way I think of it, like "not a lot but too much to give a pandandler" or is it like a significant sum?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

More like $20. 130 yuan is two or three days' expenses for me usually.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mad Hamish posted:

Something Positive.

Holy poo poo, that's still going?! And after a quick check, yes it is, and holy gently caress he never learned to draw in those 20 years, that's embarrassing

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Serephina posted:

Holy poo poo, that's still going?! And after a quick check, yes it is, and holy gently caress he never learned to draw in those 20 years, that's embarrassing

If you started a webcomic between 1995 and 2005 and just never stopped churning out content, you can still live comfortably off of patreon to this day without ever significantly developing as an artist or storyteller.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Alright which one of you posted this

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 5, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should be ethics and manners. I'm not sure gas is an ethics matter

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
you know it wasn't me because i don't really think burping and farting are unethical

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The Great Autismo! posted:

you know it wasn't me because i don't really think burping and farting are unethical

If I didn't do it, I'd explode.

Keeps me alive.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Great Autismo! posted:

As the world's foremost burp and fart ethicist I disagree.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What's a good way to ask someone what a particular food is without having them ignore you and just plop it on your plate instead? Still haven't figured this one out.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

McGavin posted:

As the world's foremost burp and fart ethicist I disagree.
There is no ethical expulsion of gas under capitalism.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Uncle Xi the Core of the Chinese Communist Party is just on a visit and parading around my town. He looks... exactly as much like a wax mannequin as I though he would? I can feel my face levels rising as I write.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Things I've witnessed in my building's gym in the past week:

1) A middle-aged man in slacks and a polo shirt, languidly walking on a treadmill for an hour (then disappearing into the gym bathroom for half an hour), every night.

2) A two-year-old trying to jam his fingers under the belt of a running treadmill.

3) An unleashed dog (that jumped on me and scratched the gently caress out of my bare arms).

Vancouver.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

barbecue at the folks posted:

Uncle Xi the Core of the Chinese Communist Party is just on a visit and parading around my town. He looks... exactly as much like a wax mannequin as I though he would? I can feel my face levels rising as I write.

Did you scream TAIWAN NUMBER #1 at him?

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
One of the ladies who works in the hongqi by my apartment has realised I can speak some Chinese and now won't stop talking to me. Yesterday I was trying to get away and she followed me halfway home asking the usual can you use chopstick questions before she noticed she'd left the shop empty and ran off in a panic.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Did you scream TAIWAN NUMBER #1 at him?

They didn't exactly encourage audience participation. Actually, they didn't let even the reporters ask a single question in fear of causing the Famed Mighty Uncle Xi any face loss. Ah, a return to familiar Soviet Union times. At least we got the right to rent some pandas out of the visit :china:

e: the police made sure to remove the single tibetan flag flown 500 meters away from where Xi was standing in fear of causing a hurt of feelings and loss of face, 5000 years of freedom of speech really made their mark today in Helsinki, lol

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 5, 2017

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

They didn't exactly encourage audience participation. Actually, they didn't let even the reporters ask a single question in fear of causing the Famed Mighty Uncle Xi any face loss. Ah, a return to familiar Soviet Union times. At least we got the right to rent some pandas out of the visit :china:

e: the police made sure to remove the single tibetan flag flown 500 meters away from where Xi was standing in fear of causing a hurt of feelings and loss of face, 5000 years of freedom of speech really made their mark today in Helsinki, lol

Finland has forsaken their proud steppe heritage.

Tengri frowns. The sky is cloudy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

No protestors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
My boss's daughter told me tonight that her teacher said it is a scientific fact that if you think too much you will get dandruff. I said that was not true, and she said "If it wasn't true, why would my teacher tell us this?" There 37 kids in her class. Get 'em learning about hot water being good for healthy from a young age.

I also realized something about the Chinese healthcare system...

Veterinarian in China -
Vet: "Your pet has cancer."
Owner: "OMG, what should we do!!??"
Vet: "Cut out the tumor and give him some radiation therapy. He will have a much higher chance of surviving."
Owner: "Wow, ok. If it's not expensive. I love him, but not that much."

Doctor in China -

Doc: "You have cancer."
Person: "OMG, what should I do!!??"
Doc: "Take these green pills. I can get you a great deal on the price."
Person: "Oh yeah? What kind of deal? I don't want to spend that much money on treatment. I have a mortgage on six houses."
Doc: "A very good deal. Just 2000 RMB per box, guaranteed to dissolve your tumor in one or two years. One box lasts about two weeks. You buy them directly from me outside the hospital."
Person: "Hmmm. Any cheaper pills?"
Doc: "The guy out front is selling other green pills at 30 RMB a bottle per 100. They also work, but not as good as mine."
Person: "Sold! Haha, fuckin' cancer."
Doc: "Come see me again if you change your mind on those pills. We can do a check up in six months if don't get better."
Person: "What if I keep getting sick? Is there any other treatment available?"
Doc: "There is this Western idea about surgery and stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it. Your hair even falls out. LOL, what the gently caress is that all about?"
Person: "Bald? No thanks, my wife/husband would definitely make fun of me. I'll stick to the pills."

Who was that Chinese actress that died from cancer because she would rather martyr herself than go bald from treatment?

• Locked thread