Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it came out on PS3 as well because Japan is insane. No idea how good the PS3 version is but after hating P3 this one's piquing my interest a bit

What didn't you like about P3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

I came to it from Nocturne and it felt like most of what I liked about that one had been neutured and/or supplemented with anime nonsense that was way too heavy on a plot/characters I didn't give a poo poo about. Maybe my fault for expecting a more similar game, I dunno

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I came to it from Nocturne and it felt like most of what I liked about that one had been neutured and/or supplemented with anime nonsense that was way too heavy on a plot/characters I didn't give a poo poo about. Maybe my fault for expecting a more similar game, I dunno

The SMT series runs on two distinct tracks with some similarities in theming and gameplay but different styles overall. The mainline Shin Megami Tensei games are more on the dungeon-crawly bits, Persona is heavier on plotting and character interaction. Digital Devil Saga was sort of a mix of the two, but that series is long over.

If you want a similar experience to Nocturne then you should check out the DDS games, SMTIV, or Strange Journey.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The SMT series runs on two distinct tracks with some similarities in theming and gameplay but different styles overall. The mainline Shin Megami Tensei games are more on the dungeon-crawly bits, Persona is heavier on plotting and character interaction. Digital Devil Saga was sort of a mix of the two, but that series is long over.

If you want a similar experience to Nocturne then you should check out the DDS games, SMTIV, or Strange Journey.
yeah I'm very familiar and fond of the series now (at the time I'd only played Nocturne) and I just don't think the track Persona took is for me. P5's great style/heist gimmicks and return of stuff like demon negotiation has me kind of intrigued though so I might give it a try

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
This happened to me with Devil Summoner 2. I never knew how rough a megaten game could be early on so having this one demon constantly pursuing me was putting more on edge than I had expected to be when I started.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Thing dragging Personas 3 and 4 down is that they're still not on a system I own. I've been waiting for a decade dammit, just do the rereleases and rake in the money you fuckers

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Morpheus posted:

It doesn't matter what you answer because every demon is different, and an answer that pleases one will piss off another, even if they're the exact same type of demon.

They have like three personalities and the game tells you what type likes what answers

30-40% of the answers are still nonsensical, insane esoteric bullshit that barely corresponds to each answer type but they at least throw you a bone with the personalities

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

smuh posted:

Thing dragging Personas 3 and 4 down is that they're still not on a system I own. I've been waiting for a decade dammit, just do the rereleases and rake in the money you fuckers

Persona is probably on a Sony-locked contract or something, because even mid-sized Japanese developers are learning that putting JRPG releases on PC is basically free money as long as the port works.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Persona is one of those games where they don't have to give a poo poo about platform because people will just buy the system for it. They released a game on the Vita and it still sold well.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
ugh, 5 million points on OutRun for the Technology King's Challenge in Y0. even though you end up playing an easier version of the game when you do the challenge it can be pretty hard to get it. :sigh:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i poo poo multiple times per day out of my very own rear end in a top hat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Avshalom posted:

i poo poo multiple times per day out of my very own rear end in a top hat

But enough about your posting habits

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Evilreaver posted:

But enough about your posting habits
just squeeze those babies clean out of my a. plop! plop! streamlined and hyper fashionable

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Avshalom posted:

just squeeze those babies clean out of my a. plop! plop! streamlined and hyper fashionable

If anything this sounds like a feature you want adding to games rather than one that annoys you.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i don't play games, little man. everything that passes through my holy tube is 100% real and physical, sensuous, begging to be touched, the siren song of my curvaceous turds

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I almost said Hong Kong was the exception, but actually I still think it would have been slightly better without that.

Except you don't save the world in Hong kong Kindly cheng says as much if the demon comes through all it's going to do is take over kowloon. All you really did was save a bunch of poor people from being eaten or ruled by a demon. you made the area slightly less lovely for now that's a pretty punk win. you put your boot metaphorically up the powers that be's rear end made things a little better but you didn't change the world

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Elfgames posted:

Except you don't save the world in Hong kong Kindly cheng says as much if the demon comes through all it's going to do is take over kowloon. All you really did was save a bunch of poor people from being eaten or ruled by a demon. you made the area slightly less lovely for now that's a pretty punk win. you put your boot metaphorically up the powers that be's rear end made things a little better but you didn't change the world

Yeah the Shadowrun plots tend to be less 'save the world' and more 'save that part of it I live in, because you know moving house is a real pain'.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

my favourite stupid Fallout retcon (was it from 3 or 2/Fallout Bible? Could be either) is that super mutants stopped being sterile at some point because it turned out to just be a temporary issue

Nah, they still are sterile. Marcus made a joke in 2 that he was worried his sleeping with a hooker was going to get her pregnant and that it takes a few years to get around the initial sterility, but Avellone said that he was just joking.

Given that Super Mutants are iconic and vital to the series, and you can't have a decent Fallout game without them as a regular enemy, there's nothing stopping Bethesda from quietly pivoting from that outdated plot point. The bulk of Fallout fans wouldn't know who Vree ever was, much less her being right or wrong about Super Mutant reproduction.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No man jokes about his dick's honour. Marcus loves to gently caress and cum

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, they still are sterile. Marcus made a joke in 2 that he was worried his sleeping with a hooker was going to get her pregnant and that it takes a few years to get around the initial sterility, but Avellone said that he was just joking.

Given that Super Mutants are iconic and vital to the series, and you can't have a decent Fallout game without them as a regular enemy, there's nothing stopping Bethesda from quietly pivoting from that outdated plot point. The bulk of Fallout fans wouldn't know who Vree ever was, much less her being right or wrong about Super Mutant reproduction.

Yes you can. Personally I found their inclusion in later games to be really dumb, but you apparently liked them and thought they were good representations of the species so

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Slime posted:

Yes you can. Personally I found their inclusion in later games to be really dumb, but you apparently liked them and thought they were good representations of the species so

This argument has been had before. It goes on several pages and no one wins.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Please go back to failing to eat a hotdog bibs.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They weren't really regular enemies in 2 and New Vegas, the best games.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a super-fertile ultra-mutant and can impregnate myself by jerking off

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Avshalom posted:

i'm a super-fertile ultra-mutant and can impregnate myself by jerking off

stop ripping off fallout: equestria

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Slime posted:

Bibs is incapable of understanding Fallout as being anything more than what was presented in Fallout 3.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

The shift from P2 to P3 was weird and the change is so drastic they don't even feel like they're part of the same series. I wasn't a big fan of the social sim stuff or the time limit on the dungeons. It's cool that demon negotiating is back, but it's kind of poo poo that it sounds like it's straight out of Persona 2 which wasn't the most intuitive or fun system. I sure loved having to talk to a million demons just to get enough cards for a thing.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

The shift from P2 to P3 was weird and the change is so drastic they don't even feel like they're part of the same series. I wasn't a big fan of the social sim stuff or the time limit on the dungeons. It's cool that demon negotiating is back, but it's kind of poo poo that it sounds like it's straight out of Persona 2 which wasn't the most intuitive or fun system. I sure loved having to talk to a million demons just to get enough cards for a thing.

P3 and P4 were my first exposure to the series. I've really wanted to try out the earlier games but I never got a psp.

I liked the split between dungeon crawling and social sims. They're disparate systems that loop back into each other in an interesting way. And the way P4 expanded it by giving party members extra commands when you build your friendship up with them was cool.

MisterBibs posted:

Do not start with this again please.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Somfin posted:

Bibs is incapable of understanding

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I haven't really played the first two fallouts but Marcus and Lily were pretty cool characters in new vegas. Lily's companion quest was always a little wonky to trigger though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

smuh posted:

Do you own a half-decent PC? Buy the PS2 versions and run them via an emulator. I don't specifically know how well they play and/or how much fiddling they might require to get working nicely, but it's worth looking into.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Do you own a half-decent PC? Buy the PS2 versions and run them via an emulator. I don't specifically know how well they play and/or how much fiddling they might require to get working nicely, but it's worth looking into.

Are they on Playstation Now? Because as long as you've got a not terrible internet connection that's also a viable option.

Edit: Ignore me, they're not on PS Now, I'm an idiot.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Persona 2 always seemed really interesting but I never felt like playing through Innocent Sin on PSP then following it up with Eternal Punishment on PSOne, it would just be jarring stepping back like that.

I've tried to play Persona 1 a few times but god that game is an awful slog early on.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I want to like Persona 2 but it's... not an easy game to love

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
which one has hitler in shades?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

food court bailiff posted:

Persona 2 always seemed really interesting but I never felt like playing through Innocent Sin on PSP then following it up with Eternal Punishment on PSOne, it would just be jarring stepping back like that.

I've tried to play Persona 1 a few times but god that game is an awful slog early on.

Imagine being a teenager and just blindly playing Eternal Punishment because Innocent Sin didn't exist in North America!
Sure was a confusing romp of a game, but I sort of loved it for it's aesthetic and weird (uncredited) voice acting.

It's whoop-rear end time!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want to like Persona 2 but it's... not an easy game to love

Probably the worst grinding I have ever personally experienced, next to Legend of Legaia.

Action Tortoise posted:

which one has hitler in shades?

That's Innocent Sin! And is largely credited as the reason the game didn't see a release overseas! :eng101:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I will forever hate the mapmaker in Eternal Punishment.

Innocent Sin was definitely the better of the two. EP got bogged down in too many supplementary systems compared to IS's straightforward "fuse monsters, fight monsters, pay shopkeepers extra money for bonuses" gameplay.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The "Ryder is autistic" meme from Mass Effect Andromeda aggravates me far more than it should - seeing a ton of fan art with her surrounded by Sonic toys and so on, and I get annoyed. Something about it just feels much more mean spirited than simply making GBS threads on the game's facial animation.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

poptart_fairy posted:

The "Ryder is autistic" meme from Mass Effect Andromeda aggravates me far more than it should - seeing a ton of fan art with her surrounded by Sonic toys and so on, and I get annoyed. Something about it just feels much more mean spirited than simply making GBS threads on the game's facial animation.

That's messed up. I can follow the thread from where it starts with bad animation to a person that can't behave properly in social situations but going full Chris chan with it is tasteless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I didn't think Andromedas facial animation isn't any worse than any other Bioware game, which is pretty bad on principle.