Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A bunch of the shrines in Zelda BotW are puns too. One of them is most of the way down a large waterfall, it's name is also a hint for where to find it: Dow Na'eh Shrine - Pronounce "Down 'ere!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

A bunch of the shrines in Zelda BotW are puns too. One of them is most of the way down a large waterfall, it's name is also a hint for where to find it: Dow Na'eh Shrine - Pronounce "Down 'ere!"
the (probably) first one you go to is the Oman Au Shrine, as in eiji aonuma

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also, I'd forgotten how frightfully well balanced Ghosthunter is with pickups/enemy placements. I've had a few times in this playthrough where it's left me at very low health, like at the start of the third level I had 30 health only due to a pickup at the start of the level (that and having bad luck in the boss immediately before and taking a beating from him), then a fight with two particularly dangerously placed snipers and a Revenant (that distracts you at first so you don't notice the snipers right away) that left me with literally 2 health. Then I found 2 pickups, a brief fight and a longer one in which a lot of health was dropped and now I'm sitting pretty at 80 health about to enter the next section of the game. The game does that a lot, it beats you up while giving you very little back to get you playing carefully and raise the tension, as it is ostensibly a horror game as well as a comedy, then gives you all the pickups to give you a surge of confidence as you surge forward right before the game gets stingy again and stops dropping stuff.

It's an old one but a well made one.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the (probably) first one you go to is the Oman Au Shrine, as in eiji aonuma
All the shrine names are Japanese-ish in their pronunciation so now I'm wondering if every single one is just an anagram of one of the developers.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm playing Breath of the Wild and I've been able to bomb butterflies, squirrels, birds, boars, and knock trees over with bombs. :allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Leavemywife posted:

I'm playing Breath of the Wild and I've been able to bomb butterflies, squirrels, birds, boars, and knock trees over with bombs. :allears:

Unlike every other Zelda game, Link does not have a fishing pole.

He does, however, have an unlimited supply of floating bombs.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Yakuza 0

Each character has 3 fighting styles and they're color coded based on their type. Pink is meant for fast and evasive movement, yellow for tanking damage and dealing heavy hits, and blue is a balance of both styles. When your character has a full heat meter they glow with a colored aura that matches their current style.

What's cool is that bosses also glow with the same colored auras when they go into their phase 2 modes and they adhere to the same color scheme based on their fighting style. So you have an idea if one boss will tank hits and then counterattack or if they're prone to dodging strikes before retaliating.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The sweeping, massive choral version of "The Weight of the World" that kicks in during the final credits for Nier:Automata. Knowing that the entire development team was part of that chorus just makes it all the sweeter.

Also that song in general. Gah, goosebumps every time.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Inzombiac posted:

Unlike every other Zelda game, Link does not have a fishing pole.

He does, however, have an unlimited supply of floating bombs.

I once killed a fish by accident after throwing a rock off a cliff. It landed in the water on the fish, killing it instantly.

You may not have a fishing rod, but the only limitation is yourself.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
you can toss food in the water to lure in fish

to make them easier for bombing

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I was watching some random stream and dude was trying to fish with bombs
It went a little something like this

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

My favorite part of botw is what I call the "troll shrines". Hit these switches to light up some torches! Move these boxes to make an electric current across the room! Or, just hit the torches with a fire arrow, and the electric switch with a shock arrow. Puzzle solved.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Feonir posted:

Have you played EDF yet? You should play EDF.

You too can make punch totem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKxPSYPota0&t=66s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvi5mRu15Vw

EDF is the best kind of dumb

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kay Kessler posted:

My favorite part of botw is what I call the "troll shrines". Hit these switches to light up some torches! Move these boxes to make an electric current across the room! Or, just hit the torches with a fire arrow, and the electric switch with a shock arrow. Puzzle solved.

I use electric jelly or metal swords if I want to circumvent a circuit.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Kay Kessler posted:

I agree. It's like, "I can see what you want me to do but I just don't feel like it." At one point the game expects you to fight a giant enemy with no armor and just a stick. I hit it repeatedly with a metal box until it was dead. Maybe that was the expected path.

Inzombiac posted:

I use electric jelly or metal swords if I want to circumvent a circuit.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Strife posted:

I agree. It's like, "I can see what you want me to do but I just don't feel like it." At one point the game expects you to fight a giant enemy with no armor and just a stick. I hit it repeatedly with a metal box until it was dead. Maybe that was the expected path.
One of the game's loading screen tips is to bludgeon enemies to death with large metal objects as a way to save weapon durability.

The way the game handles the master sword is that it breaks when used repeatedly like any other weapon does, but actually gets "depleted" instead so it can pop back into your inventory after a couple minutes. One of the Korok you can talk to right after getting the sword says something along the lines of "remember, this is the legendary sword of evil's bane that's been waiting for you for 100 years to defeat gannon with so don't just use it on anything mundane".
That was a return trip and I'd mostly been using it to mine flint and save wear on my other, non-regenerating, weapons. They called me out on that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ganon. Right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Calamity Ganon is actually just a giant evil cannon.

So call him Gannon for short.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that the game makes the sword middling at best with only 30 power against normal enemies, making other weapons like the elemental swords more useful, then against the Calamity bosses it enchants itself and increases to 60 power, surpassing everything else in the inventory.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

The sweeping, massive choral version of "The Weight of the World" that kicks in during the final credits for Nier:Automata. Knowing that the entire development team was part of that chorus just makes it all the sweeter.

Also that song in general. Gah, goosebumps every time.

I've been holding off on getting the game because this year has been a deluge of amazing games, but I got the soundtrack for Nier a few days ago and it's taken a ton of willpower ton of buy it. But hearing that makes me want to pick it up tomorrow.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

Didn't even occur to me to fight it. I didn't wake it, just crept onto its hand, got lifted up onto it when it went to scratch its belly, grabbed the orb from its necklace and crept away again. Tense as hell because, yeah, I had a stick and some underpants.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In Mass Effect Andromeda, I'm loving what a dork Ryder is. Coming off Commander Badass McJesus Shepard, it's really refreshing to have a character who genuinely is inexperienced for the job she's doing, and treated as such by everyone around her. There's lots of little character moments backing up that nope, this is not a grizzled superhuman badass - Ryder groans about the scorching heat on the desert planet, threatens to pull over the tank when companions criticize her driving, and geeks out when you find ancient high-tech ruins.

It's kinda rare to see such a human, down to earth main character in a modern game like this, and definitely makes me feel like I'm earning the growing respect NPCs are starting to give as I progress through the story.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Cythereal posted:

In Mass Effect Andromeda, I'm loving what a dork Ryder is. Coming off Commander Badass McJesus Shepard, it's really refreshing to have a character who genuinely is inexperienced for the job she's doing, and treated as such by everyone around her. There's lots of little character moments backing up that nope, this is not a grizzled superhuman badass - Ryder groans about the scorching heat on the desert planet, threatens to pull over the tank when companions criticize her driving, and geeks out when you find ancient high-tech ruins.

It's kinda rare to see such a human, down to earth main character in a modern game like this, and definitely makes me feel like I'm earning the growing respect NPCs are starting to give as I progress through the story.

Now,if only they can make the faces/voice acting decent.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I kind of like how almost every ship meeting where the characters butt heads trying to get what they want ends with everyone storming off and Ryder is left standing alone in the room.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I kind of like how almost every ship meeting where the characters butt heads trying to get what they want ends with everyone storming off and Ryder is left standing alone in the room.

"I didn't say meeting dismissed!"
(everyone is gone)
"Meeting dismissed."

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
In Samurai Shodown one of the fighters, Kyoshiro, is a kabuki actor, who has really exaggerated / stereotyped stage mannerisms for everything. For example instead of walking he does that hop-on-one-foot kabuki thing that I don't know what it's called. My favorite part is that if you double tap the joystick to run, he just starts doing the same thing really fast, sort of running on one foot while the rest of his body stays in rigid stage posture.

In fact the whole game has kind of a kabuki thing going on-- the judges are dressed as kabuki stagehands, the long hitpause on strong attacks turns the most dramatic frame of the attack into a mie pose, the music, etc. The way the 2d graphics separate into a dynamic foreground and a semi-fixed background even looks very theatrical. Although really some of this influence runs the other way, I think; like standard ways of depicting things in 2D were adapted to video games from existing artforms. The weird forced perspective you see in Earthbound or the Ninja Turtles Arcade Game is straight out of 19th century woodblock prints. It's cool to see that cultural continuity happening unselfconsciously.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The South Park: Stick of Truth soundtrack has so much love put into it I'm a little uncomfortable. Apparently Matt Stone and Trey Parker are musicians themselves and had a lot of input?

It's just great to listen to. Some rich, dramatic music in a game where you slap people with dicks and shoot fire out of your arse. :v:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The best little thing in Sleeping Dogs is when you get the batmobile :allears:

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
I haven't finished Night in the Woods yet, but I did finish one of the minigames within it: Demon Tower. It's a deceptively simple hack-and-slash game about a retired warrior going on a quest that will kill them. This is reflected in game mechanics: After each level, you permanently lose one point of health in exchange for gaining one slot in the replenishing energy bar. It's a very elegant way of ramping up the risk without making the game seem unfair.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

The South Park: Stick of Truth soundtrack has so much love put into it I'm a little uncomfortable. Apparently Matt Stone and Trey Parker are musicians themselves and had a lot of input?

Yes you might have heard of their global smash hit musical The Book of Mormon.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Also all of their movies had a ton of original songs by them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've always had a soft spot for the South Park anime song

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The first movie they ever did was a musical straight away.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah that little tune you hear from their logo at the end of southpark (forget the company, but it has an airplane in its logo) is a bit from their musical.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ya it's this harrowing number from Cannibal The Musical

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I'm very late to this game, but Psychonauts is just so fantastic and weird at the same time. I've only completed up to Levitation training, but all the campers have so much personality. Plus Kitty has a lot of
good insults for Raz. :allears:

I truly hope that by the end of the game, I get to see Mikhail wrestle the mystery bear-thing in the woods.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In Persona 5, your little cat buddy turns into a bus when you enter a big randomly-generated dungeon. When asked why he does that, he just says that cats turning into busses is a prevalent thing in people's minds for some reason :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Yes you might have heard of their global smash hit musical The Book of Mormon.

I know them from South Park and that's it. :shobon:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

hirvox posted:

I haven't finished Night in the Woods yet, but I did finish one of the minigames within it: Demon Tower. It's a deceptively simple hack-and-slash game about a retired warrior going on a quest that will kill them. This is reflected in game mechanics: After each level, you permanently lose one point of health in exchange for gaining one slot in the replenishing energy bar. It's a very elegant way of ramping up the risk without making the game seem unfair.

Stardew Valley also has a surprisingly compelling little faux 8-bit twin-stick shooter called Legend of the Prarie King in the town watering hole. It's also balls hard, I eventually gave in and used CheatEngine just to beat the drat thing so I could win a cabinet for my home.

And then just to taunt you, in the first big free update to the game they added an achievement for beating the game without taking a single hit which is pretty much impossible for mere mortals.

QuietLion posted:

I'm very late to this game, but Psychonauts is just so fantastic and weird at the same time.

Is your name Joey? Because from now on I'm calling you Slow-y Joey. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

hirvox posted:

Oh good. For a second there I thought I did something myself that caused my health to get lower forever. Also a neat little touch to add to the "retired warrior" thing is that the guy will get tired if you keep spamming the attack button.
Also I love the dream segments in Night in the woods, the music in them is amazing.

QuietLion posted:

I'm very late to this game, but Psychonauts is just so fantastic and weird at the same time. I've only completed up to Levitation training, but all the campers have so much personality. Plus Kitty has a lot of
good insults for Raz. :allears:

I truly hope that by the end of the game, I get to see Mikhail wrestle the mystery bear-thing in the woods.

I wasn't really too into the combat in psychonauts, but the characters were just too likable to not keep going and there's so many neat details in the game - shame the only thing that's really come after it is a dead Raz cameo in Madness Returns but I think they're planning a sequel?