Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Gigi Galli posted:

My dude, there are at least two :evilbuddy:

Please probate for use of "my dude".

New thread title is the most accurate we've ever had. It means nothing to people who don't F1, and those who do F1 will understand our place in the natural order of threads.

It's at the bottom. Under the decomposing corpses of other thread failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Croissant posted:

1000 BHP was impressive..... in the late 90s.

Which late 90s F1 cars were hitting 1000hp?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cars with well over 1k BHP exist. They're called drag racers.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Having watched the BTCC this weekend on TV, at least F1 doesn't sound that dreadful. It's a godawful droning noise like a pack of angry bees.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

iospace posted:

Cars with well over 1k BHP exist. They're called drag racers.

Or billionaire hypercars

Theophany posted:

Ars has a semi-interesting article up today. Clearly not written by an F1 wonk, but still quite interesting to see some of the other surprisingly specific restrictions the FIA enforce, like on compute power: https://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2017/04/formula-1-technology/

This was cool, good find

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Theophany posted:

Also, I can't wait to see this year's cars going around Monaco and how they stack up to 2004. There's not a great deal of onboard footage (which looks maddeningly quick) but even the longer FOV shots make them look insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3-e5JBgRM

That camera on the swimming pool chicane is probably my favourite for showing just how quickly these cars can change directions. I hope they never move it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Theophany posted:

The V10s were unrestricted for a period and would reach 20k RPM IIRC. I don't think there's any reason that the current F1 engines couldn't do the same in theory, but not with the fuel efficiency and engine allocation/seal restrictions.

The Williams Cosworth definitely did. Was watching some quali lap with it the other day.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

That ars article is great. Especially this line:

quote:

While Formula 1 is the epitome of bleeding-edge engineering, the teams are still susceptible to the plague of legacy software. For example, until recently, Renault Sport Formula One Team used a 77,000-line Excel spreadsheet to track the design and build of the season's new car

Honestly I should have applied for jobs at F1 teams years ago.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

We rarely ever get to see it but apparently a lot of the other teams' guys rallied around the Williams team after their garage set fire in Barcelona a few years back helping them sort out the wreckage and whatnot. I guess that travelling circus/insular bubble lifestyle means that whilst they are all technically against each other they can't help but work together sometimes too.

Also, I can't wait to see this year's cars going around Monaco and how they stack up to 2004. There's not a great deal of onboard footage (which looks maddeningly quick) but even the longer FOV shots make them look insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3-e5JBgRM

F1 teams have lent engines to other teams before too.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 4, 2017

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Theophany posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1_k0Lmfjz0

Let us all appreciate his legendary terribleness. All completed in front of rows and rows of empty seats.

Like I don't even get what he was a tempting to do. "Ohh I'll run over the barriers and win that will work."

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

dentist toy box posted:

Like I don't even get what he was a tempting to do. "Ohh I'll run over the barriers and win that will work."

I don't think any thought or foresight went into that. He's just bad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

He's probably under a hell of a lot more scrutiny now that Mercedes is actually paying for the seat instead of just cutting the price of an engine they are making a poo poo ton of money on.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lol he's never getting a Mercedes seat.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

He's probably under a hell of a lot more scrutiny now that Mercedes is actually paying for the seat instead of just cutting the price of an engine they are making a poo poo ton of money on.

Pretty sweet deal for Sauber though. They get the financial benefits of fielding Wehrlein whilst having a better driver on the track.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Theophany posted:

Pretty sweet deal for Sauber though. They get the financial benefits of fielding Wehrlein whilst having a better driver on the track.

Hopefully we don't get any contract shenanigans again.

I want Gio with a permanent seat though.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Who is paying Giovinazzi anyway? Is it Ferrari or Sauber at this poitn?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How much do reserve drivers even make? iirc Pascal is making like $150k so my guess is that the backups are in the high five figure range.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Gigi Galli posted:

Who is paying Giovinazzi anyway? Is it Ferrari or Sauber at this poitn?

He's in the Ferrari stable iirc.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

He is technically still Ferrari's test/reserve driver.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yep. Gunna be loving crazy to see an Italian in an Italian once Kimi decides he's made enough money coasting.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

He's a real horse of a man.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

Yep. Gunna be loving crazy to see an Italian in an Italian once Kimi decides he's made enough money coasting.

He still needs more time. Perez i think deserves the next crack at a red seat unless he blows it at FI this year. He's both good enough not to :effort: around like kimi, but not good enough to challenge the golden boy. If he blows it, drop him after the second season for Gio.

Scud Studs dream team 2019: HAM in the main seat, PER in the second seat.
(i want hamilton in a fezza to happen almost as bad as i want a Mclaren-Ferrari team)

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 4, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Jesus it's been 11 years since an Italian won a GP. Giancarlo Fisichella

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

wicka posted:

He is technically still Ferrari's test/reserve driver.

I think that changes if he drives another race. I mean, he'll be in that role but he wont be allowed to do any further driving for Ferrari in a test role this season as he'll be considered a senior driver.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

I think that changes if he drives another race. I mean, he'll be in that role but he wont be allowed to do any further driving for Ferrari in a test role this season as he'll be considered a senior driver.

I think you're right but lord knows I don't remember the details.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Unless Wehrlein is right proper hosed I don't see Gio getting the seat full time this season. Too much of a headache involved with Pascal bringing that Merc money to Sauber (especially if they've paid in advance) and Giovinazzi being a Ferrari a driver. But, hell, if Giovinazzi does well again in China and potentially Bahrain I'm expecting to see him replacining Kimi sometime very soon.

A competent young Italian in the Ferrari? Dio mio

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Norns posted:

Jesus it's been 11 years since an Italian won a GP. Giancarlo Fisichella

You make this sound like a bad thing?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You make this sound like a bad thing?

It is.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

I dunno, Italian drivers have historically had terrible records at Ferrari. The closest they got to a good guy in recent memory was Jean Alesi and he was half Sicilian. The tifosi will understandably go batshit :italy: but will the results make bank?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

#ForzaAlboreto

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Theophany posted:

I dunno, Italian drivers have historically had terrible records at Ferrari. The closest they got to a good guy in recent memory was Jean Alesi and he was half Sicilian. The tifosi will understandably go batshit :italy: but will the results make bank?

Oh I'm 100 percent certain Ferrari could find a way to gently caress it up.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We're long overdue for a good Italian. Fisichella was arguably the last one.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Gigi Galli posted:

quote:

That third race will be an important decision as it will make him ineligible to be classed as a young driver in tests; there are some in season tests now permitted, mainly to develop tyres, of four days. Two days are allocated only for drivers who have completed two F1 races or fewer.
On the face of it, Giovinazzi would forfeit his chance to do those tests for Ferrari if he races in Bahrain for Sauber.

Heh, Giovinazzi is managed by Fisi & Irvine's agent.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

Oh I'm 100 percent certain Ferrari could find a way to gently caress it up.

I think that's why so many worst thread posters love Ferrari. They are like a mirror image kakistocracy of this thread.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

I think that's why so many worst thread posters love Ferrari. They are like a mirror image kakistocracy of this thread.

Yeah that exactly what I was thinking. Real kakistocratic, those folks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's kakistoesque bro

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

If anybody can go from winning races one season to winning none the next, it's the Scud. <3

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Kafkaesque - Vettel eventually turns into a giant spider.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Theophany posted:

I think that's why so many worst thread posters love Ferrari.

You aint been round these here parts long have you son?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

wicka posted:

The Chase told me tonight that Kakistocratic means a city being run by the worst people imaginable to run a city. I like this use of the word.

• Locked thread