Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I read through the (1st ed) helicopter rules once and decided right there that I'd never touch the Vietnam scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Filthy casuals dumbing down our game. Watch me homebrew an enhanced 4-page version of the old prisoner rules. I'll call it POWfinder.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Assigning 'Shift Fire' to a flare always felt incredibly silly anyway.

e: it's still possible!

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 4, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

And it should be, as Cease Fire is a superior flare command (it shuts down all the leftover ammo-munching MGs and de facto shifts fire of those dudes who still have someone to fight).

Also, I hope this:

quote:

You may also develop a standard operation procedure (SOP) for signals you prefer and use it to save time between missions.

Is supposed to mean freestylin' is still legit, as I have some personal favorites not featured there ("If under fire, retreat backwards" is bueno af, also map-specific movement presets). However, now there's nothing written about the single conditional clause limit. :getin:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm sitting here like "wtf is Fields of Fire and why won't these guys shut up about it." What is this solo-only game where cards are terrain and everything looks ugly as sin and why is everyone speaking so highly of it?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'm not sure highly is the right word.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Oh my god they revamped the way pyrotechnics work, you have to pick from a list of options now, not just "choose what this colored smoke means and just play it out however you feel"

If they're getting rid of all the vagueness, maybe that means a computer implementation is possible!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

al-azad posted:

everything looks ugly as sin and why is everyone speaking so highly of it?

Have you ever played a wargame

al-azad
May 28, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Have you ever played a wargame

I only play beautiful wargames, thank you.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Basically it's a solo tactical​ wargame covering WWII, Korea and Vietnam which has a really good implementation of chain of command and a really really bad rulebook

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

al-azad posted:

I only play beautiful wargames, thank you.

Nice to have another Titan fan onboard!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Speaking of beautifully ugly does anyone have any World in Flames experience?

I bought what was meant to be 5th Edition from ebay but wound up receiving 5th ed maps, counters and CRTs but 4th ed rules, scenarios and production pizza.

Waiting for a response from the guy but in the meantime are these things gonna be compatible with each other?

(yes i do plan on trying to play it)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I haven't played it myself but from what I've heard of it, WiF is deeply dated and I don't really see a reason to play it when either of Totaler Krieg or Unconditional Surrender are much more playable/enjoyable.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

It was super cheap and its a famous Thing too.
I'm working up to TK but wanted a monster now dammit!

Edit: how is Dai Senso?

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 5, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sleekly posted:

It was super cheap and its a famous Thing too.
I'm working up to TK but wanted a monster now dammit!

Edit: how is Dai Senso?
blackmongoose can go in more detail but Dai Senso is not that great. Unfortunately, the support chit system that works so well in ETO due to the relative lack of surface naval forces, does not work well at all in a theater where those naval forces are extremely important. As well as that, the game was busted in that fighting the soviets was a much better proposition for Japan and it was relatively easy to bust up the Soviets in the East.

On the other hand, the war in China is handled pretty well and is quite interesting, and there's a much bigger focus on China than many other PTO games.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Was really tempted to buy the collectors wif but I hate strat level, hate rules porridge, hate uber long games so probably not going to bother.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sleekly posted:

Speaking of beautifully ugly does anyone have any World in Flames experience?

I bought what was meant to be 5th Edition from ebay but wound up receiving 5th ed maps, counters and CRTs but 4th ed rules, scenarios and production pizza.

Waiting for a response from the guy but in the meantime are these things gonna be compatible with each other?

(yes i do plan on trying to play it)

The answer as always is go read this still-in-progress-after-2-years LP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692085

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
World In Flames owns, but get the Final Edition.

Also Fatal Alliances owns by proxy

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

It's hard to believe that nobody involved with the design and production of the WIF cover art noticed it looks like a cock and balls.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

CaptainRightful posted:

It's hard to believe that nobody involved with the design and production of the WIF cover art noticed it looks like a cock and balls.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought this. If I recall correctly, it's a Rodger MacGowan design. He's pretty active on Facebook so you could just ask him!

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I can do a full effort post on Dai Senso when I get home tonight, but the short version is that it's a very different take on the Pacific War than anything else and your mileage will definitely depend on how much you're willing to accept the decisions made on abstracting certain elements. I would say that with the current errata you're not likely to run into the major balance issues until you're very experienced, but there is an expansion kit coming that really does a much better job of fixing things. Unfortunately, the designer is one person with a full-time job, so no one knows when it will actually release. Without the expansion kit changes I can only give it a half-hearted recommendation as an interesting but flawed game unlike Totaler Krieg which I highly recommend.

Edit: I'm enjoying the WIF LP because the guy running it is putting in an incredible amount of effort and doing a high quality job, but if you're thinking about getting the game, just note that in the current turn Japan had more production than the Soviets.

blackmongoose fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 5, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Speaking of Pacific, Fire in the Sky is some of the most yin-yang experience this side of fields of fire.

You have this cool, artsy, minimalist, top tier box cover:

And this is the graphic design inside of it:

It's just baffling.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 5, 2017

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

Holy poo poo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Someone on Facebook posted a picture of the new BCS game, Baptism By Fire, saying their copy came in the mail. But now I can't find it!

edit-- oh it's on Boardgamegeek. My point is, MMP is knocking it out of the park on cover design these days. I hate Rodger B. McGowan (i.e. old GMT) cartoony designs.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 5, 2017

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I love that WiF LP as well. I was thinking playing with an old edition would help me decide on FE or not.

Also its totally a cock and balls.

Hoping I can find a 5th Ed rulebook and production pizza online to 'complete' this set.

Shame about Dai Senso. I love that theater and i thought its a companion game to TK it may be as highly regarded.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
My only problem with the BCS Bulge game is that it's too big, but meanwhile BbF looks too small to be interesting. Oh Goldilocks, when will I find the wargame that is just right?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

Speaking of Pacific, Fire in the Sky is some of the most yin-yang experience this side of fields of fire.

You have this cool, artsy, minimalist, top tier box cover:

And this is the graphic design inside of it:

It's just baffling.

Holy poo poo, those counters :kingsley::nexus:

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Obfuscation posted:

My only problem with the BCS Bulge game is that it's too big, but meanwhile BbF looks too small to be interesting. Oh Goldilocks, when will I find the wargame that is just right?

They're doing BCS Crusader next....

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

They're doing BCS Crusader next....

Yessssssssss

Give me all the desert action

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

. I hate Rodger B. McGowan (i.e. old GMT) cartoony designs.
You heard it here first, folks. COOL CORN hates ASL.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

cenotaph posted:

You heard it here first, folks. COOL CORN hates ASL.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Question: I'm still playing Prussia's Glory II and having some rules issues here and there along the way. This issue in particular I think might be generic to some kinds of hex wargames so I'm hoping someone has some insight here. Basically - how does assigning units to combats work? There seem to be a handful of rules that are tripping me up in this scenario when taken together:

1) Every Engaged inf/cav unit on both sides must participate in Close Combat
2) Other than cavalry doing a Sweeping Charge units will be involved in one combat per turn
3) All Engaged inf/cav in each combat's hexes will be involved in the close combat
4) All attacking hexes must be adjacent to all hexes being attacked

So let's assume that the active player, due to some poor strategy and a failed sweeping charge on the opponent's last turn, has units in three hexes (A, B, C) in a shape like this ">" - that is, one central hex B and then units at 8 (C) and 10 o'clock (A) - and the opponent has a similar shape "}" with four hexes (D,E,F,G) adjacent to that on the right side - two hexes (E,F) adjacent to the active player's middle unit, and then one additional unit at 10 o'clock to the top unit and one at 8 o'clock to the bottom unit, all adjacent and Engaged with the active player's top and bottom flanks.

So...in this situation:
A is Engaged with D and E
B is Engaged with E and F
C is Engaged with F and G

How does this get resolved? All Units have to fight all hexes they're Engaged with in a single CC, and you can't have multiple combats targeting the same defending unit outside of the Sweeping Charge phase, so the whole big lump has to be handled as a single CC, but this violates rule 4 above - A isn't adjacent to F or G and C isn't adjacent to D or E.

Sorry I'm so dummm :downs:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

the droopy eye pointing in an entirely different direction than the other is what makes this masterpiece:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I know a guy who has that tattooed on his arm. He runs a pretty well-trafficked online ASL store.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Why

How

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

the droopy eye pointing in an entirely different direction than the other is what makes this masterpiece:

I thought the fact that it's a heroic portrait of an SS officer is what makes it a classic.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

ASL: not even once

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Obfuscation posted:

I thought the fact that it's a heroic portrait of an SS officer is what makes it a classic.

yes, there's that, too.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Grognards: the worst nards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

I know a guy who has that tattooed on his arm. He runs a pretty well-trafficked online ASL store.

does his tat include the SS collar tabs?