Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cat Mattress posted:

Less than one hour for the Rafale.

Yeap, looked it up now and the quoted numbers for all the Eurocanards including the Gripen are the same - ~45-60 minutes. I was misremembering the figure for the Gripen. Unsure if the figure for the EF is per engine or not though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sperglord posted:

Been playing some CMANO recently and got wondering, what does the USAF have planned for tactical / operational reconnaissance in the 2030 time frame. Tactical can be quasy disposable UAVs, but what about reconnaissance 200-400km behind the front line.

As far as flying stuff:
-Global Hawk/Triton
-Small UAVs
-Bigger UAVs
-RQ-XXX
-Whatever UCASS evolves into.
-Probably some fighter jets as well
-Probably helicopters (Fire Scout/Apache/Others)

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think the idea to make U-2s unmanned is a good one, you could even put Magic Carpet into play and have them fly ultra-long missions that'd require them to put down on a carrier, where they could be disassembled and basically kept along a corner wall somewhere until they hit port again.

Doesn't Global Hawk do the exact same mission and use the exact same sensors and is currently in production?

EDIT: Global Hawk and U2 https://defensesystems.com/articles/2016/02/25/global-hawk-sensors-replacing-u2-spy-plane.aspx

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 2, 2017

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

TheFluff posted:

Also in that article there's a claim that doing an engine swap on the F-35C took fifty five hours, and that was with an empty hangar deck to work with. Same number on the Super Hornet was like six to eight hours. Off the top of my head I believe the same number for the JAS 39C - a single engined land-based fighter, so all kinds of advantages of course - is under two hours.

Enjoy this tale of changing a legacy Harrier engine in the field (sort of) whilst in NBC kit & being bothered by Belgians:
http://www.harrier.org.uk/history/engine_change.htm

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TheFluff posted:

Also in that article there's a claim that doing an engine swap on the F-35C took fifty five hours, and that was with an empty hangar deck to work with. Same number on the Super Hornet was like six to eight hours. Off the top of my head I believe the same number for the JAS 39C - a single engined land-based fighter, so all kinds of advantages of course - is under two hours.

I'm wondering how much of that time is spend protecting and re-applying RAM putty? I wouldn't be surprised if they have to have special cradles for all of the panels that come off and a special rack to store them while they are off so that they don't get damaged or deformed. I doubt that you can just unscrew them, and set them on the hangar floor while you're yanking the engines.

Cat Mattress posted:

Less than one hour for the Rafale.

Pretty much everything I have read about the Rafale says it's top to bottom amazing.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

inkjet_lakes posted:

Enjoy this tale of changing a legacy Harrier engine in the field (sort of) whilst in NBC kit & being bothered by Belgians:
http://www.harrier.org.uk/history/engine_change.htm

A good story. Still, I feel like there might be a cultural difference here:

quote:

Well, on this famous day the Powers had decided that we would prove that we could change an engine "in the field". We were on concrete, hardly a field, but we were doing this outside, a procedure unheard of in the RAF.

While it might be unheard of in the RAF, the Swedish air force lived that way for decades. Not every day, maybe not even every week, but the road bases were used for regular exercises, and simple maintenance like swapping out whole components such as engines was definitely done outdoors, although usually under a roof. To be fair though, both the Viggen and the Gripen were designed from the ground up for that kind of environment (on the Viggen you remove the entire tail cone including the thrust reverser assembly - it comes off all in one piece - and pull the engine out backwards). In NBC gear it would obviously have taken longer, but that too was done in exercises with some regularity.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Hey look, its $21M in Patriots
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d2d_1491078721

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That was either a lot of TBMs or a lot someone smashing the manual engagement button.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
You know, I've never actually read Stormfront but I have a hard time seeing how it could be any more racist than the Liveleak comment sections.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This is badass. Full screen and advance to 3:02
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=974_1490312954

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

That was either a lot of TBMs or a lot someone smashing the manual engagement button.

Houthis seem to have quite a bit of Iranian heavy ordnance. So, yeah, it may have been a lot of TBMs.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49L9BlYQSjw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cyrano4747 posted:

Somehow my wife and I have had sex pretty routinely over the past 7 years without getting her pregnant. I wonder how the gently caress we managed that?

That Works posted:

Sorry your boys arent swimming.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Probably better than you would have if the options were deployment to a combat zone or conveniently timed pregnancy.

CMS posted:

Cyrano, I think he just accused your wife of malingering

Blistex posted:

Wow! In the past 4 years your wife and I have had at least 3 scares.

This was the gem in that derail.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Platystemon posted:

This was the gem in that derail.

Those jewels may not have the luster they once did.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

B4Ctom1 posted:

This is badass. Full screen and advance to 3:02
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=974_1490312954

Pro-click. You can see rockets or missiles cooking off and then zooming around like crazy. When the big flare up happens something goes straight up, and it never comes down so far as the camera can find it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Has anybody thought of making a CWIS with rotating multi-barrel rail-guns of a really tiny caliber?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Has anybody thought of making a CWIS with rotating multi-barrel rail-guns of a really tiny caliber?

Yes, but most of them are on the dev teams for Ace Combat/Metal Gear Solid.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The handheld version had software problems. Got somebody killed.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Sperglord Actual posted:

I understood this reference

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Sperglord Actual posted:

A reasonable statement.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sperglord Actual posted:

Also some cooling issues, I recall.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nebakenezzer posted:

They're having trouble getting people to sign the waiver for the backpack mounted radar unit. Something about hair loss and infertility.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sperglord Actual posted:

Was pretty good at counter-piracy ops though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I dont get the reference. Can I still hang out here?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
You can, but you take 10 damage to your Nerd Points.

(if you're at all a Sci Fi fan you owe Snow Crash a read)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh, that would explain that. I am not.

Heres this:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Diamond Age and Snow Crash were great, Cryptonomicon was him writesturbating about how much math he knows, and it went downhill from there.

Fake edit: Favorite part about Diamond Age was a throwaway world building comment about how optical HUD implants fell out of fashion when they kept getting hacked to display 24x7 ads and suicides ensued.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CarForumPoster posted:

Heres this:

Actually an AEW MV-22 seems like it would fit perfectly in Snow Crash. It's already essentially got a Fire Scout in it.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Serious answer, that kind of configuration is pretty much tailor made to hit every one of the major railgun engineering problems as hard as possible. Barrel life, dielectric breakdown, mechanical alignment, you name it.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

CarForumPoster posted:

Heres this:

well it at least would be better than the helicopter AWACS that britain and a bunch of other countries use

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Diamond Age and Snow Crash were great, Cryptonomicon was him writesturbating about how much math he knows, and it went downhill from there.

Fake edit: Favorite part about Diamond Age was a throwaway world building comment about how optical HUD implants fell out of fashion when they kept getting hacked to display 24x7 ads and suicides ensued.

I liked the Baroque cycle. It had the same flaws as Cryptonomicon, but it (literally) went all over the place and had enough cool poo poo happen throughout that I thought it was still worth the read.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

goatsestretchgoals posted:

100% believable

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Blistex posted:

They're having trouble getting people to sign the waiver for the backpack mounted radar unit. Something about hair loss and infertility.

So that explains Jesse Ventura then.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Mattress posted:

100% believable

I think of this whenever people talk about "augmented reality", google glasses etc

For the record:

Cryptonomicon = Great
The Baroque Cycle = Great
Anathem = Great
Reamde = Great
Seveneves = pretty bad (so naturally this is the one being made into a movie/TV show)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zodiac was good too.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Big U was, uh, pretty special

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Heres this:

Somewhere a marine commander just got an unexplained boner.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think of this whenever people talk about "augmented reality", google glasses etc

For the record:

Cryptonomicon = Great
The Baroque Cycle = Great
Anathem = Great
Reamde = Great
Seveneves = pretty bad (so naturally this is the one being made into a movie/TV show)

I am so squarely within Stephenson's target reader demographic it's not funny and I found seveneves absolutely unreadable and could not finish it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Big U was, uh, pretty special

wikipedia posted:

Stephenson has said he is not proud of this book. By the time Snow Crash was published, The Big U was out of print, and Stephenson was content to leave it that way. When original editions began selling on eBay for hundreds of dollars, he relented and allowed it to be republished, saying that the only thing worse than people reading the book was paying that much to read it.
I'll admit I haven't read Big U myself. I'm curious now.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
How viable/effective would an AWACS MV-22 be? I'm assuming not as good as an E2, but how much worse assuming it has the latest whiz-bang AESA radar onboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hauldren Collider posted:

I am so squarely within Stephenson's target reader demographic it's not funny and I found seveneves absolutely unreadable and could not finish it.

I listened to Seveneves as an audiobook, and the ending entire last third of the book was just such a complete loving cop-out.