Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

quote:

SQUARE ENIX® announced that the worldwide shipment and digital sales of the critically acclaimed action-RPG, NieR: Automata™ have exceeded one million.

Upon its release for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and PC last month, the game received critical acclaim across the world for its fantastic blend of action-packed high-speed 60 fps battles, and deep, captivating storyline from Director YOKO TARO (NIER®, Drakengard® series).

Developed in collaboration with PlatinumGames Inc., NieR: Automata delivers the perfect mix of action and RPG gameplay. Players will battle as androids 2B, 9S and A2 as they fight to reclaim the world for their human creators and uncover truths long forgotten.

Success for Yoko Taro...what a world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I'm finally making some headway in this game. Just got to the amusement park. I'm not sure if it really matters yet, but what should I be doing with my chipset? I bought 8 extra slots in the satellite base and used chips for attack damage buff and +5% HP. Should I have anything better this early in the game? Need pro strats.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think a lot of the +stats chips are pretty crummy until way later in the game. Powerful chips are I think stuff like:

Deady heal
Autoheal
Overclock
Shockwave
Anti-chain damage
Auto-use item

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Shockwave isn't worth it.

And Auto Use Item is.. Useless.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Just understand that chips have a random cost, if the chip has a square next to its name it means its the lowest possible cost. Basically sell stupidly high costing chips since they are useless. Theres some advanced crap you can do with combining chips but ill just let this reddit post exlain it: https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/60726d/nier_automata_plugin_chip_drop_locations/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

And Auto Use Item is.. Useless.

Getting a bunch of extra range on your attacks is incredibly worth it. And assuming you aren't playing on one-shot type difficulty, auto-use item makes it way less likely you'll die in boss battles.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Auto-Use Item is probably the worst of the "now you have to actually try to die" chips because the range for the item auto-use is dangerously small and you can just quickly pop a heal with one of the quick menus. A potent Auto-Heal chip is better for the mid-to-late game, even moreso if paired with a decent Anti-Chain Damage chip.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think hes calling shack wave useless because it so insanely good that it makes the game too easy. Auto use item is pretty useless on hard though. I usually just have a +1 auto use item on just in case even thoug hit almost never activates.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah I basically pumped all my slots into weapon up, shockwave and evade distance and I breezed through the game. It actually got really trivial towards the end until during playthrough 3 there was a difficulty spike.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Right, you don't need an Auto-use +6 or something, but just a basic one has spared me a fair number of reloads. I'm not so good at mashing heal buttons in a panic.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
It'll be a while before you get access to Overclock but once you do you'll always want it slotted, it's the best chip in the game. You'll also want an anti-chain damage chip (doesn't need to be a super powerful one necessarily, just enough to get you safely out of combo chains and mosh pits) and some kind of health regen to keep you topped up. Having a Counter chip slotted is a good idea, too, just to give you an extra defensive option, and there are a few six-slot utility chips you can get from a vendor much later on that you'll definitely want to use.* Past that it's just gonna be a question of what effects you like and what chips you have available. I like having some movespeed and evade range chips equipped on account of fast, and I wound up using a bunch of health regen chips as my main source of survivability along with whatever attack and crit up chips I could fit in the remaining space. The chips are mostly pretty self-explanatory and you can safely build for whatever seems most useful to you. You'll be getting chips with stronger and/or more efficient effects for the entire game so you're gonna want to optimize your loadout on a fairly regular basis regardless.

*Speaking of which, what exactly does Continuous Combo do anyway? The description makes it seem like it's dodge offset but I'm pretty sure you have dodge offset even without it. I think I can feel a difference with it on vs. not, but it might be the placebo effect because I can't quite tell what exactly that difference is.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'd say it's one of the top 3 must-have's if you're trying to fight from a safer medium distance, but i'm also a scrub that occasionally takes hits when mashing through a crowd of enemies.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Opposing Farce posted:

It'll be a while before you get access to Overclock but once you do you'll always want it slotted, it's the best chip in the game. You'll also want an anti-chain damage chip (doesn't need to be a super powerful one necessarily, just enough to get you safely out of combo chains and mosh pits) and some kind of health regen to keep you topped up. Having a Counter chip slotted is a good idea, too, just to give you an extra defensive option, and there are a few six-slot utility chips you can get from a vendor much later on that you'll definitely want to use.* Past that it's just gonna be a question of what effects you like and what chips you have available. I like having some movespeed and evade range chips equipped on account of fast, and I wound up using a bunch of health regen chips as my main source of survivability along with whatever attack and crit up chips I could fit in the remaining space. The chips are mostly pretty self-explanatory and you can safely build for whatever seems most useful to you. You'll be getting chips with stronger and/or more efficient effects for the entire game so you're gonna want to optimize your loadout on a fairly regular basis regardless.

*Speaking of which, what exactly does Continuous Combo do anyway? The description makes it seem like it's dodge offset but I'm pretty sure you have dodge offset even without it. I think I can feel a difference with it on vs. not, but it might be the placebo effect because I can't quite tell what exactly that difference is.

Okay, cool. I'm gathering that it's hard to go wrong unless you pick obviously dumb ones.

I'm playing on Normal. I didn't think Auto-Heal was an option unless I was on Easy. I don't want it either way. I was fiddly with the controls during the prologue, but I've handled everything since on the first try now that I don't think I'm playing Dark Souls anymore.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I made a conscious decision to use drastically different chipsets based on who I was controlling.

It was super fun, but unfortunately fell apart near the end when you're continually switching back and forth between 9S and A2 during that boss fight.

Still, it made me try out new things and new weapons that I might have otherwise neglected.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's annoying you can't​ have chipsets bound to characters if you want. Really the whole chip interface is one of the weakest parts of the game. Just the interface.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'm pretty sure that, with a shock wave chip equipped, attacks within melee range hit twice - both for the physical hit and the wave. Plus it extends your attack range considerably.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, on my next playthrough I'm going to force myself to not use shockwave, because I've been using it since I got it and it's stupid good.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Snak posted:

I think it's annoying you can't​ have chipsets bound to characters if you want. Really the whole chip interface is one of the weakest parts of the game. Just the interface.
It's probably by far one of my favorite action rpg systems (save for the diamond rng farming that's entirely unnecessary), but yeah, i wish you could switch chipset loadouts as easily as the two weapon sets.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm finally making some headway in this game. Just got to the amusement park. I'm not sure if it really matters yet, but what should I be doing with my chipset? I bought 8 extra slots in the satellite base and used chips for attack damage buff and +5% HP. Should I have anything better this early in the game? Need pro strats.

Just focus on diamond chips. The game throws a ton of trash chips at you as quest rewards, like a +6 chip that costs 26 slots and poo poo like that. Don't use these. You'll eventually figure out the diamond costs for different upgrade levels and realize that most of the time you're better off with a bunch of diamond +1 to +3 chips than you are with a few terrible +6 chips.

Melee defense+ and range defense+ are both good if you're getting one-shot; if you're not getting one-shot then these are better replaced with healing or offense chips. Overclock and Antichain damage are both really good defensive chips.

Deadly heal, autoheal (this automatically heals over time if you haven't taken damage in a bit), offensive heal are all good for the entirety of the game and all difficulties, as long as you're not getting one-shot.

All of the offensive chips are basically "kill harder" mods, they're not going to make or break you. Shockwave as mentioned is really good, but the challenge in this game is in staying alive; doing damage is never really a problem.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Okay, the cable the game dev wanted finally dropped but now I'm supposed to debug his game with no indication how to do so. I've beaten it multiple times, but even if I spotted a glitch at this point I'm not sure what I'd do with it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Okay, the cable the game dev wanted finally dropped but now I'm supposed to debug his game with no indication how to do so. I've beaten it multiple times, but even if I spotted a glitch at this point I'm not sure what I'd do with it.

Rub your face/ship against the walls.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Rangpur posted:

Yeah it's not immediately clear what you're supposed to do with that one, you need to hug the left (i think) wall until you slip out of bounds.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I still don't know how I debugged the third one. I got shot to gently caress and died and the dev just said "hey, you did it" and that was that.

And yeah, I did the first one over and over again trying to work it out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

I still don't know how I debugged the third one. I got shot to gently caress and died and the dev just said "hey, you did it" and that was that.

And yeah, I did the first one over and over again trying to work it out.

I killed 1 black box and then was killing the second one and he said I did it. It was less than 5 seconds. I have no idea.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm wondering if this is some kind of commentary on playtesting.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Snak posted:

I killed 1 black box and then was killing the second one and he said I did it. It was less than 5 seconds. I have no idea.

I had to use a guide for the gamedev missions, they are super not clear

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/849292882741567488

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
His follow up is even better:

Google translate posted:

Supplement: Although Nier 1 million shipments are shipping, Asian version (Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea) scheduled to ship soon seems not to be included in that number. To be honest, I thought that there would be as many as 1 million if an Asian version came out, so it was a surprising result ......
:toot:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's bitter sweet to me because gently caress yes this game beating all expectations is amazing but this game should be a 3 or 4 million seller, than a 1'er, because it's so good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean it's on track to outsell Bloodborne... which has only sold 2.67 million copies to date...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Awesome news for Taro and Nier!

But also:
https://twitter.com/VanillaTea_er/status/844803397618286598?s=09

e: 2B's welp :goleft: face is killin' me

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Josuke Higashikata posted:

this game should be a 3 or 4 million seller, than a 1'er, because it's so good.
A game being really good or unique has never meant it will sell well, that's always more correlated with PR budget, a big brand name (like say, Mass Effect), or following the latest Early Access trends on steam. It's doing really well, considering.

Though i expect reception of this game to sour significantly once glowing word of mouth of early adopter fans pushes it into players that are less forgiving about this gem's flaws in a context of "this game is the greatest and christ's second coming, and will change your life forever and you'll think about it for years" praise. Which, as someone who loves this game a lot - rough edges and all - , is just an impossible expectation to live up to.

But that's okay. As long as we get this crucial dlc

x

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 4, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's probably by far one of my favorite action rpg systems (save for the diamond rng farming that's entirely unnecessary), but yeah, i wish you could switch chipset loadouts as easily as the two weapon sets.

Can't you just the B and C ship templates?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

Can't you just the B and C ship templates?

yeah, but you have to be able to access the pause menu for that, and then go over to skills, and then plugin chips. To switch weapon sets you hit up on the dpad. You can't even access the pause menu while you're jumping.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

yeah, but you have to be able to access the pause menu for that, and then go over to skills, and then plugin chips. To switch weapon sets you hit up on the dpad. You can't even access the pause menu while you're jumping.

Yeah but I thought he just wanted a chip set for each character.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think he wanted to switch chipset loadouts as easily as the two weapon sets.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

SHISHKABOB posted:

Nope. I had A as my general aggressive-but-brittle Combat one, B as my "grindy" one with drop rate, exp up and auto pick-up quality of life stuff to use with 9S, and C as my "poo poo A isn't working, maximum defense and HP" fallback setup for basically the entire game. Switching for each situation (less so than character) was already trivial, but doing it mid combat was a drag (but of course, also not required).

Although occasionally the game threw me into a Shmup section while i had A equipped and then i couldn't switch to C, and it killed me. A lot.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 4, 2017

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I loving love this game's audio system and how music transitions by playing more instruments and adding vocals. I've seen it done in a few other games. I'm sure it must have a term. What is it called?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

All I would want is for the game to remember which of the three chipsets the character was using the last time I controlled them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

rear end posted:

I loving love this game's audio system and how music transitions by playing more instruments and adding vocals. I've seen it done in a few other games. I'm sure it must have a term. What is it called?

It's generally referred to as a 'dynamic soundtrack'. If it has a term beyond that, I've never heard it.