Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Anyone in this thread involved with Aikido have experiences to share or pointers for starting out? I'm a complete beginner to any martial art but it seems like a good fit since I'm looking for physical/mental fitness and not self-defense/competition. Plus I don't have much weight or muscle mass but it doesn't look like you need it.

One place I've found puts their price structure right on the site and offers a free intro class with a discount on the first 3 months, plus they explicitly state you're not expected to buy additional merch/materials/whatever outside of the Gi and Aikido Federation membership. It's roughly $100/mo which seems a bit steep but I have no idea how that compares with other disciplines, every other gym I've looked up is super cagey about their price structure.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

redgubbinz posted:

Anyone in this thread involved with Aikido have experiences to share or pointers for starting out? I'm a complete beginner to any martial art but it seems like a good fit since I'm looking for physical/mental fitness and not self-defense/competition. Plus I don't have much weight or muscle mass but it doesn't look like you need it.

One place I've found puts their price structure right on the site and offers a free intro class with a discount on the first 3 months, plus they explicitly state you're not expected to buy additional merch/materials/whatever outside of the Gi and Aikido Federation membership. It's roughly $100/mo which seems a bit steep but I have no idea how that compares with other disciplines, every other gym I've looked up is super cagey about their price structure.

Thanks!

My advice to all aikido players is to play judo instead. Its better in every measurable way, including prices most of the time. Also don't worry about something "needing muscles" because doing it will make you strong enough to do it better over time. If you're set on aikido thats cool but competition is good and fosters a healthy mindset for training.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That'd be really steep in Finland, but I've no idea about your particular corner of the world.

But, uh, I dunno really. Pay attention when they show breakfalls I guess? Try to relax without being limp? Just dive in, try to feel your way around and don't listen to Willie Dee.

Edit: I guess, don't expect too much? Aikido's basically tai chi but with a lot more rolling on the ground.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 3, 2017

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Oh god someone's rattled the Aikido box again

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Out of curiosity I dipped into the middle of the thread and found the ten page argument...oops :downs:

Like I said I'm new to the whole thing, Judo and BJJ get talked up a lot throughout the thread, might research those although it's slim pickings in my area. I could also go to a (non-MA) gym and workout but learning a skill and meeting people would be nice.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Don't sweat it, do what feels right. Ultimately, Novum isn't wrong – if you want to grapple, you're going to get 1000% more out of a judo or a BJJ class. But aikido's chill and somersaulting around is fun once you get the hang of it, so maybe give it a shot.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Yeah, do anything you want. If its in your price range and they let you take a free intro class then go hog wild. Be wary of any Steven Segals or becoming one and just do what seems fun.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

redgubbinz posted:

found the ten page argument

It happens every 30 pages so your odds were good.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The last iteration was the best one thus far, I really enjoyed it.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Don't do loving Akido for $100 a month. Its not worth $10. Do Judo or BJJ. If you can find a friendly BJJ place you don't need muscle and it's actually an effective MA that improves fitness and mental fitness far more than any Akido ever would.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lol willie, fix the autocorrect on your browser.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Don't do loving Akido for $100 a month. Its not worth $10. Do Judo or BJJ. If you can find a friendly BJJ place you don't need muscle and it's actually an effective MA that improves fitness and mental fitness far more than any Akido ever would.

Yes, soon you too can be running around trying to murder people for trying to steal $5 worth of crappy bike frame.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

steroids

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

What if I'm attacked by an ambulatory bike frame on steroids?

Thanks for the advice, I thought that fee was a little high given what basic gym memberships and personal trainers tend to go for. Most places around here seem to offer a free session or two, might as well give em a try.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If you're looking something to take for fitness, I'd highly suggest boxing, kickboxing or Muay Thai instead. If you don't spar you take the competition aspect out of it and it's likely to be a significantly better work out than playing fake touch butt with some dudes in the park.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Aikido isn't generally a great workout.

Better than Cheetos on the couch but you won't see huge body transformation.

Judo, real striking, BJJ they will work you hard enough to see physical benefits. Assuming you eat right and recover with sleep etc.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

Lol willie, fix the autocorrect on your browser.

Ha thanks, I think Aikido is now fixed. Or I could just be so disgusted by Aikido that I refuse to call it by its real name. (It's my phones auto correct)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

If you're looking something to take for fitness, I'd highly suggest boxing, kickboxing or Muay Thai instead. If you don't spar you take the competition aspect out of it and it's likely to be a significantly better work out than playing fake touch butt with some dudes in the park.

It's real touch butt :colbert:

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I had an interesting conversation with a a female friend recently. My background is Bjj and she doesn't really do or know much about martial arts but picked up cardio boxing. I was happy for her on the fitness side of things but I was wondering if cardio boxing and similar kind of activities might actually negatively impact the chances a woman or person in a vulnerable position might have of running away and instead try and rely on their punching/kicking skills they picked up punching a bag. What would you people say about that?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Odddzy posted:

I had an interesting conversation
but I was wondering if

What did she say?
My very limited experience with cardion <fightsport> classes is that they're so far removed from hypothetical fighting situations that you'd have to ask the instructor more questions if you got it into your head that you might need to fight for self defense.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Odddzy posted:

I had an interesting conversation with a a female friend recently. My background is Bjj and she doesn't really do or know much about martial arts but picked up cardio boxing. I was happy for her on the fitness side of things but I was wondering if cardio boxing and similar kind of activities might actually negatively impact the chances a woman or person in a vulnerable position might have of running away and instead try and rely on their punching/kicking skills they picked up punching a bag. What would you people say about that?

sounds really patronizing

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
your concern can basically be summated as "im worried that you working out is actually BAD, because I consider you a retard that will hurt yourself"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is actually a real problem with some of these programs or light contact arts - that they can build confidence without giving skill.

e. It's not necessarily true of all cardio boxing, but I know I've seen some weird praise coming from instructors of programs like that. I've also seen very realistic assessments - "You're working hard, but if you want to get into a real fight you'll have to do it like this instead...."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

your concern can basically be summated as "im worried that you working out is actually BAD, because I consider you a retard that will hurt yourself"

To be fair, I've seen my fair share of scummy sales pitches for Cardio kick boxing, usually along the lines of

GET IN SHAPE AND HAVE FUN WHILE LEARNING PRACTICAL SELF DEFENSE TECHNIQUES ALL TO KICKING RAD MUSIC!

or the backwards one which is a "Muay Thai" class which turns out to be a glorified cardio kickboxing class.

edit: Not saying this is the case, but it could be.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 4, 2017

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I see a lot more dumb-rear end men picking fights than I do women,

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

You haven't seen enough world star cat fights. Women tend to commit more simple assaults against other women than any other violent crime. Men tend to escalate to straight aggravated assault/pre-meditated

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 4, 2017

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Yeah, I feel like a lot of people suffer delusions of grandeur after like a week of krav maga or whatever and it's a decent enough conversation to have with anyone who practices.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I'd say that everyone taking any martial arts is given a false sense of confidence for self-defense scenarios, not just cardio boxing/kickboxing or touch butt in the park. We should all be running away from or getting out of a street fight ASAP like the goony pansies we are. (points 1 and 2 of the OP)

redgubbinz posted:

Out of curiosity I dipped into the middle of the thread and found the ten page argument...oops :downs:

Like I said I'm new to the whole thing, Judo and BJJ get talked up a lot throughout the thread, might research those although it's slim pickings in my area. I could also go to a (non-MA) gym and workout but learning a skill and meeting people would be nice.
$100/month is a bit steep compared to boxing or judo, but if you tell us your area, we can probably help recommend some places. Personally if it was really that slim pickings and your goal is physical and mental fitness, I'd forgo martial arts and look for a crossfit gym or running club or cycling club for around the same price point.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

redgubbinz posted:

What if I'm attacked by an ambulatory bike frame on steroids?

Thanks for the advice, I thought that fee was a little high given what basic gym memberships and personal trainers tend to go for. Most places around here seem to offer a free session or two, might as well give em a try.

100$ a month sounds really expensive for Aikido, unless you go to 6-7 classes a week which is not a common thing in AIkido.

Of course you might live somewhere crazy where everything is stupidly expensive I dont know.

But I did aikido for a little bit and it was fun. I much prefer judo, but I can see the appeal of Aikido, just don't think you're learning something that would be effective if you were to get in a fight (not that it really matters for most people). It's fun and very relaxed. Plus you get to do flips and stuff. You also won't really get in shape doing Aikido.

If you don't mind the pain and getting thrown unwillingly judo is amazing.

BJJ is also really nice and kind of easier on your body since throws seems to be the hardest thing on people in grappling.

If you main goal is to get fit and you wanted to do a martial arts I'd probably go with boxing, kick boxing, muay thai or something like that.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Haven't you been reading the past few pages where a guy that's been doing bjj for around six months is already fantasizing of the moment where he will be able to break a bike thiefs arm? You might just be willfully ignorant about the effects of TMA's and fightsports on people's psyche when it comes to their true effectiveness in a self-defence scenario. My problem with cardio-boxing is that it could make people believe in the effectiveness of their bag punching skills. Most of the exercices she was mentioning in the class routine were burpees, jump rope and punching bags, all things that I really don't believe might make you be any more effective at defending yourself than running away from a dangerous situation. Argue that instead of turning me into some weird strawman.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I meant how did she specifically self-assess her fighting skills based on the class?
That's the obvious question to ask if you suspected she might be thinking that she was getting good at fighting.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Future Willie_Dee
http://www.bjpenn.com/boxing-news/video-nutty-internet-bully-asks-people-light-sparring-goes-shady-ko/

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

kimbo305 posted:

I meant how did she specifically self-assess her fighting skills based on the class?
That's the obvious question to ask if you suspected she might be thinking that she was getting good at fighting.

She mentioned it probably doesn't have any or much effect but was a good workout. Personally, i've heard that argument given about a ton of things as an excuse to not judge the activity too hard but I often have the impression that the speech might change depending on the audience. I'm not really asking about her though, but in a larger sense, about how people see their ability change over time doing TMA's that don't involve sparring.

For example, I'm doing alright at BJJ. One thing i'm getting sure of though is that it does affect my perception of ability in a real life scenario. I'm aware I'd probably be much more ready to talk poo poo at someone acting like a dumbass, and that might escalate. From the outside, I'd probably be just as big a meathead as the guy I perceive as being the meathead even though I feel justified and ''safe'' (although I'm not). Does that feeling happen here to most people? I kind of have the preconceived opinion that it does.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 4, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

biggest hotheads are dudes that bench exactly two plates and bjj guys. i am both, and would easily gently caress you all up if you look at me like that that again, bitches

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Odddzy posted:

Does that feeling happen here to most people? I kind of have the preconceived opinion that it does.

I feel like I want to fight less and deescalate, people get injured just from sparring when it's your friend and you're trying not to injure them, and you know all the dumb poo poo that can happen during sparring. It would have to be a real hosed up situation for me to want to throw hands on someone.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i would easily defeat any man that perfectly distributes his weight across a steel bar and crawls atop me in pajamas

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Odddzy posted:

Haven't you been reading the past few pages where a guy that's been doing bjj for around six months is already fantasizing of the moment where he will be able to break a bike thiefs arm?

I don't think that's fair on him, I'm pretty sure most people would get a justice boner seeing a bully get beat up

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Subyng posted:

I don't think that's fair on him, I'm pretty sure most people would get a justice boner seeing a bully get beat up

preach it brother my rod is UP the moment i even briefly consider taking justice into my own hands and publicly crippling a stranger

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK22F4DGAL8&t=130s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

olylifter posted:

Also the back buddy is loving great. I bought one the other week and its unreal.

Got one after reading this and holy gently caress you weren't kidding, this thing is great. Haven't touched my soma/lacrosse balls since it got in.